Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > comparing the dyson with the 90's fantoms

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

comparing the dyson with the 90's fantoms
Original Message   Jul 21, 2008 11:24 am
I was just watching my Fantom Fury video (have the video, not the machine though I was obsessed with them as a teenager) and it said that if the dirt in the chamber ever stopped spinning, the user should check the machine for a clog. 

My Dyson DC14 actually has baffles in the dirt chamber that inhibit spinning of the dirt.  When I vacuum with it, the dirt just kind of lays in the chamber without moving.  The cat hair usually gets stuck on the baffles, and the heavier sand falls to the back of the chamber as the reclined position of the handle would dictate. 
Replies: 7 - 16 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuumfreeeke

Re: comparing the dyson with the 90's fantoms
Reply #7   Jul 21, 2008 6:33 pm
The hype I was referring to is that the Dyson is supposed to be a more superior vacuum than other machines as reported by glowing reviews.  I excpected bin after bin of dirt to come up in each home I tried it in and it didn't happen.  I do like the machine, but Dyson as a company seems to enjoy lying to consumers.  Rexiar preceeded Dyson by decades as the first vacuum that doesn't lose suction and calling non-existent height adjustment automatic is also misleading.  Lots of consumers also complain about lack of a headlight, but I don't really care about that.

DIB, that was in interesting story.  Is Jame's relationship with Iona in his autobiography?

HARDSELL

Reply #8   Jul 21, 2008 8:12 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
The hype I was referring to is that the Dyson is supposed to be a more superior vacuum than other machines as reported by glowing reviews.  I excpected bin after bin of dirt to come up in each home I tried it in and it didn't happen.  I do like the machine, but Dyson as a company seems to enjoy lying to consumers.  Rexiar preceeded Dyson by decades as the first vacuum that doesn't lose suction and calling non-existent height adjustment automatic is also misleading.  Lots of consumers also complain about lack of a headlight, but I don't really care about that.

DIB, that was in interesting story.  Is Jame's relationship with Iona in his autobiography?

If a home has been vacumed thoroughly on a frequent basis I would not expect to fill a Dyson on a single use.  I have owned both DC07 and DC14.  Never had your bad experiences.  I did prefer the 07.   I bought the XL21, Kenmore, Panasonic, Bissell HH and others.  The DC07 out performed them all.

Remember you bought a used ( more like an abused ) vacuum.  I believe most dealers will tell you that most used vacuums have been abused.  Do you really think that they just put them out for sale without inspection and repairs?  Dyson does not advertise to be indestructible.  None are.    I have found many more negative reports on Hoover WT's that were purchased new and self destructed in a few months.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #9   Jul 21, 2008 8:44 pm
Yes, I bought a (ab)used vacuum, but I know enough about vacuums to know if mine is working.   I replaced the filters and cleaned the cyclone, and the brush seems to be spinning just fine.  Its performance actually reminds me of the DC07 (which I much prefer, I see we agree there... what are your reasons for liking it better) that I sold at Sears when Dyson first hit the US.  
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #10   Jul 21, 2008 8:44 pm
Yes, I bought a (ab)used vacuum, but I know enough about vacuums to know if mine is working.   I replaced the filters and cleaned the cyclone, and the brush seems to be spinning just fine.  Its performance actually reminds me of the DC07 (which I much prefer, I see we agree there... what are your reasons for liking it better) that I sold at Sears when Dyson first hit the US.  
HARDSELL

Reply #11   Jul 21, 2008 9:11 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:

The 07 had better suction, at the brush and the hose.  Carpet looded more groomed with the 07.  There seemed to be more dirt in the 07 canister. 

If you like the 07 better how does the 14 remind you of it?

Do you want me to give a duplicatge answer for your duplicate post? 

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #12   Jul 21, 2008 9:36 pm
The performance of the 14 is similar.  However, I'd much rather flip the handle around like in the DC07 and use a COMFORABLE handle for attachment use instead of that inane thing they slapped on the DC14.  I also don't like the tools on top of the dirt tank... they fall off and are in the way then I transport the machine or empty the bin.  I also don't like the washable filter being right in the dirt bin (even if it is separated by the cyclone assembly)... I much prefer it in the place it was on the DC07.  PLUS, I think the trigger release is easier to use than the push button of the DC14.  The 14 must be the worst Dyson ever made...

I don't know why the duplicate post happened!

CarmineD

Reply #13   Jul 22, 2008 7:03 am
HARDSELL wrote:
If a home has been vacumed thoroughly on a frequent basis I would not expect to fill a Dyson on a single use.  I have owned both DC07 and DC14.  Never had your bad experiences.  I did prefer the 07.   I bought the XL21, Kenmore, Panasonic, Bissell HH and others.  The DC07 out performed them all.

HS:

You said you owned the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum too.  Which claims it outcleans a DC07 by 60 percent.  What do you think?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #14   Jul 22, 2008 7:45 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
 The 14 must be the worst Dyson ever made...

Hey VF:

That dubious distinction goes to the DC 11 canister for $499 which lasted 5 months in the USA: From April 2004 to September 2004.  The official dyson death notice is Feb 2005, making it a 9 month run.  Shortest product run in US vacuum history.   But by Feb 2005, most retailers culled them from their shelves and collectors were scarfing up for $50-$100 as repacks and refurbs.   Many DC11-s were returned within the first week of purchase. 

It's biggest problem, not counting the weight and bulk, was a poorly designed and functioning power head.  Not made for USA rugs.  Brush bar typically stopped, hiccuped, and stalled going over low pile carpets if the users applied the slightest pressure.  Persons could easily stop the brush bar using the fingers/palm of their hand [as MOLE mentioned to you] and keep it stopped.  Not good for deep down rug cleaning.  Just straight suction surface dirt cleaner.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 22, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #15   Jul 22, 2008 7:56 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

You said you owned the EUREKA Boss Smart Vacuum too.  Which claims it outcleans a DC07 by 60 percent.  What do you think?

Carmine D.

If I thought it outcleaned the DC07 I would have kept it.  The Boss does a very job of cleaning carpet.  I fails miserably on hard floor surfaces.  The exhaust blows more dirt / dust than it vacuums on these surfaces.

I have medium pile with extra thick padding and the DC07 never stalled or ratcheded on it.  Remember the Boss claim is only on thicker carpet.

I did use the DC07 on some very plush wool carpet in a home that I inherited and did not have any problems.  The carpet was probably 30 plus years old. 

CarmineD

Reply #16   Jul 22, 2008 8:06 am
"Plush" is the word EUREKA uses for the claim comparing the $150 Boss Smart Vacuum to the $400 DC07.  BTW, in every Consumer Reports that rates vacuums and includes the EUREKA BOSS Smart Vacuum,  the BOSS rates an "Excellent" for performance on Bare floors.  You claim it failed miserably.  Interesting?  Did you set the BOSS to the bare floor adjustment? 

Interesting too, based on your lone perspective, that dyson never ever contests the EUREKA claim and/or offers its own test findings to contradict EUREKA's claim.  Why?  HAs to have a reason[s].  Wouldn't you think?

Dyson shows it is not shy about officially filing to dispute claims by other makers which put dyson in a poor [read humiliating] light.  Of course, now the ASA ruling eliminates any doubt that the Electrolux Intensity [MSRP in the US is $299] has 50 percent more suction at the brush roll [with a full paper bag that needs changing] than a DC14. 

BTW, the recent ASA ruling certainly gives alot of credence [read truth] to VF's findings and conclusions about a DC14 vice a bagless BISSELL Cleanview.  The $60 BISSELL Cleanview outcleans the more expensive dyson [after VF's assurance and actions that his DC14 is running properly].  Why?  BISSELL has a better brush roll?  A rug height adjustment?  Both?   Perhaps a BISSELL has more suction [at the brush roll] than a DC14?  Like the Intensity?  Surely it can't be the BISSELL headlight! 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 22, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 7 - 16 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42