Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 69 - 78 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #69   Jun 3, 2008 9:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
But not dyson!  Sold the DC07 after 3 years.  Bought a DC14.  Returned the DC14.  Bought a Royal Eminence?  No HARDSELL.  That doesn't compute with me.  Any more than a non-sensical baking soda test.  Make a mistake 40 years ago and chalk it up to youthful exuberance.  Make it again now? No pass this time. 

Still haven't re-bought the best brand you claim to have ever owned.  Although the prices are down to $299 before discounts and cash back. 

Carmine D.

I kept the Oreck and others for a few days only because the 07 made it look like a toy.  Compute that.

You need to understand that what I currently use is acceptable until I get the urge to replace them.  Other purchases and expenses take priority over vacuums. 

Where is your Hoover Z and Fusion.  You told us how great the Z was (years ago) now the Oreck is better than sliced bread.

HARDSELL

Reply #70   Jun 3, 2008 9:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You're silly bordering on ridiculous.  Kapoc is an industry test for carpet cleaners.  Has been for years.  Most if not all independent vacuum stores use it.  It simulates real life home grown rug and carpet debris like pet hair, thread, wool and cotton nap.  All these cling to rugs and carpet surfaces.  Making it a valid test and substance usage.  What does baking soda similate? 

Carmine D.

I do not have a dog.  The DC07 picked up all those things that you mention in 1 pass.  The others that I tried (and currently own)did not.
CarmineD

Reply #71   Jun 4, 2008 7:07 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
ASTM standards are the (agreed upon) standards that matter.  If a vacuum is a good Kaypoc-picker-upper can this be trusted to translate into a good ASTM winner?        DIB

Hello DIB:

ASTM is the industry recognized standard world wide.  To answer your question: Yes and no.  Kapoc is not the only test of the ASTM but one of them.  Consumer Reports recently added the pet hair test which I suspect is a variation of the industry's standard kapoc.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 4, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #72   Jun 4, 2008 7:13 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Baking Soda is similar to dust.  This would quickly clog your Oreck.  You could substitute capture, however we already know that many vacs can't handle it.

Hello HARDSELL:

Have to disagree again.  ORECK has such a large surface area of paper bag, you would have to pick up huge amounts of any substance like capture, epsom salt, baking soda, construction dust etc. to clog the bag and shut down all suction completely.  My sense is you probably can't unless you decide that you want to do that and proceed to acocmplish your objective.  

But, as we already agreed, when large amounts of any foreign substances spill in the house, the first line of attack is the dust pan and broom.  Then the vacuum.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #73   Jun 4, 2008 7:48 am
HARDSELL wrote:

You need to understand that what I currently use is acceptable until I get the urge to replace them.  Other purchases and expenses take priority over vacuums. 

Hello HARDSELL:

I want to focus on this statement because I think it is critical to dyson's decline among its most ardent fans in the UK and other markets. 

When you are a vacuum maker and sell exclusively high priced vacuums through primarily big box stores you will meet with huge sales resistance/declines during hard economic times.  For exactly the reason you stated above.

If dyson can't sell you now, with its latest and greatest, an ardent believer and past dyson user, who then? Not an ORECK and HOOVER buyer/user like me.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #74   Jun 4, 2008 8:04 am
HARDSELL:

You appear from most recent posts to be  stuck in a conflict of money and feelings.  On one hand you refuse to purchase a new dyson even with the lower discounted dyson prices.  But you argue that the DC07 was the best of the vacuums you own and the new dyson models are even better.  The two points of view are conflicting and a contradiction.  Else you just post dyson drivel as a past user and have no intentions to put your money where your mouth is.  

You might impugn ORECK-s and my use and purchases.  I bought 4 in slightly more than one year.  You bought one dyson and sold it.  Bought another dyson DC14 and returned it because you didn't like it.  But you rave about dyson.  A contradiction.  For you Latin buffs: a non-sequitur.  In fact: 2 non-sequitors. 

How do you reconcile these differences in your mind's eye?  Especially here in your dyson posts.  How can you rant and rave about a vacuum that you sold/returned and still refuse to buy a new one?  Is a couple of hundred dyson bucks [chump change for a dyson lover] that important to you to forego using the best vacuum you have ever owned?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #75   Jun 4, 2008 9:07 am
CarmineD wrote:
HARDSELL:

You appear from most recent posts to be  stuck in a conflict of money and feelings.  On one hand you refuse to purchase a new dyson even with the lower discounted dyson prices.  But you argue that the DC07 was the best of the vacuums you own and the new dyson models are even better.  The two points of view are conflicting and a contradiction.  Else you just post dyson drivel as a past user and have no intentions to put your money where your mouth is.  

You might impugn ORECK-s and my use and purchases.  I bought 4 in slightly more than one year.  You bought one dyson and sold it.  Bought another dyson DC14 and returned it because you didn't like it.  But you rave about dyson.  A contradiction.  For you Latin buffs: a non-sequitur.  In fact: 2 non-sequitors. 

How do you reconcile these differences in your mind's eye?  Especially here in your dyson posts.  How can you rant and rave about a vacuum that you sold/returned and still refuse to buy a new one?  Is a couple of hundred dyson bucks [chump change for a dyson lover] that important to you to forego using the best vacuum you have ever owned?

Carmine D.

Carmine,  first mony is not a problem.  I have made some good investments and even with al the toys that I have owned I still did not strap myself financially,  I bought $2000 worth of golf clubs last year.  May buy more this year.  I have owned various high end lawn mowers, TV's and audio equipment in recent years.

I just purchased a new lawn mower this past week.  I will now sell my 1 year old mower because it is in excelleent condition.  The new one is no better.  I just like change.  I prefer to be outdoors this time of year and have no interest in playing with vacuums.

I bought one Oreck and returned it within a few days.  I can't blame you for giving 3 away.  I would not keep them either. 

I reconcile the differences because I culled Oreck, Hoover, Kenmore and Panasonic. within 30 days of purchase.   That should tell you my feelings toward them.  The Kirby and Royal are very good vacuums until I decide to get another Dyson. 

Did you ever tell us why you do not use a Hoover Z?  You never mention your Hoovers since getting the Oreck.  I wonder why and old pro missed out on a better than Hoover vac all these years.

I still remain loyal to Dyson.  You switched to Oreck.

Thanks for giving me my laugh of the day.

CarmineD

Reply #76   Jun 4, 2008 12:11 pm
Hello HARDSELL:

I'm too young to play golf so $2000 in clubs would be a waste of money for me.  Maybe when I get older I'll take up the sport.  We have alot of greens here even right on the Community grounds.

I can't answer all your questions at the same time, because I realize you have limited memory and recall capacity.

Why?  I've said several times on the Forum what I did with the HOOVER Z-s.  I think I even messaged you privately about them at least once.  You forgot.  It happens when you get old.

My first HOOVER Z I owned from March to August 2006 in Virginia, shortly after it came out.  I got a deal from the local BEST BUY.  I used it while I was sprucing up the homestead for sale.  Like Carl Prohlman I too used it for dry wall patching after removing pictures, repairing wall board cracks, debris from upgrading all the kitchen appliances [including meeting new building codes], replacing old insulation in the attic and basement, and re painting the entire house almost 3000 square feet.  The HOOVER Z did very well.  I left the Z for the agent selling the house to use and for the new owners after the sale.  I mentioned too, you forgot, that the selling agent initially asked us to replace the carpets to sell the house.  She changed her mind after I vacuumed the carpets with the Z and she took another closer look.  The carpets were 23 years old.

Now the 2nd Z.  I purchased this and gifted to a local Church.  The Church has been using since November 2007.  I mentioned on here that the Z was used to vacuum up the flowers and plants that fell on the rug during the Holy Week of Easter.  I watched the young lady, not the maintenence man who had blew out his knee, use the HOOVER Z.  There were about 10-12 Church volunteers assiting in the clean up in preparation of Easter Sunday Masses.  All were impressed with the Z, not knowing I gifted it.  Read on.

The worship area is currently undergoing a new face lift after 9 years.  Drywall, painting etc.  Guess what vacuum is being used?  Right! The HOOVER Z!  Very good.  You catch on quick.

Having used the ORECK for a year, and my dear Wife loving it, I gifted the HOOVER WT away several weeks ago.  I mentioned that too before here at least once.  To another new Church starting up in need of a vacuum.  It will be 2 years in August.  But looks and runs like new.  The WT is 17 pounds.  The ORECK is 8.  I vacuum daily.  I have a bad back.  Guess what vacuum is easier to use?  ORECK!  Right.  Very good.  You are learning quickly!

Sorry, but unlike you I never owned a HOOVER FUSION, save the FUSION razor and my dear Wife who rented the FORD car recently and is so impressed she wants to buy one.  We might.

Now, I think I got it all answered for you.  But if not, let me know.  I'll do my best.  I say with almost absolutely certainty that I will buy more ORECK-s.  I like the product, the company, the warranty and the fact that its made in the USA for over 45 years. 

Sad that the HOOVER Z came when it did: During the throes of a major takeover with uncertainty and poor national economic conditions.  It has many desirable features which are patented and/or under review for patent.   I enjoyed using the HOOVER Z.  More so than the dyson DC07 yellow [a loaner] and pink [owned].  The former worked OK for my 23 year old rugs in Virginia.  Not as good as the Z.  The latter failed me miserably on my new rugs in my LV home.   

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #77   Jun 4, 2008 3:17 pm
The thing about history is it is destened to be repeated.

Remember the infamous Oreck XL21 thread?

Hardsell, Carmine, I admire both of you for your convictions and knowledge.   So, How about those Filter Queens?

This message was modified Jun 4, 2008 by Just
CarmineD

Reply #78   Jun 4, 2008 4:00 pm
Just wrote:
  So, How about those Filter Queens?

Hello Just:

Made in the USA, like ORECK-s.  And little to no innovation and changes in design, form and function for years just like ORECK.  Typically used by vacuum shops as their back room and under the work bench vacuum.  How's that for starters? 

Sounds like the beginnings of another thread!

Carmine D.

Replies: 69 - 78 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42