Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 249 - 258 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #249   Jan 18, 2009 3:37 pm
Oreck... "Made in America".  Made by... (illegals)?  ... it’s a fair question.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090111/BUSINESS01/901110346/1003/NEWS01

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=7323049

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #250   Jan 18, 2009 4:57 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Yes DIB, it's a fair enough question.  Nonetheless, I have to first admit that during a four-and-one-half year period of my life I continually worked outside this country as an "illegal".  In my situation I did not work for a low return.  In this case however and keeping in mind the quote stating that wealth is made on the backs of the poor, low-cost labor by the hands of non-natives residing in or outside our country is advantageous to businesses of all kinds and American consumers are making no effort to refuse the resulting product.

Thinking on my time in Europe and elsewhere, I distinctly recall Sweden.  The rule there is that no one from outside the country may work there without gaining the express permission of the government BEFORE entering the country.  No matter your area or level of expertise, you couldn't sweep floors there or sing grand opera per that law -- plain and simple.  Further, if that law is violated, the Swedish government in addition to usually expected action will permanently shut down the errant business establishment that employed illegal workers.

It is highly doubtful that similar standards will be accepted here any time soon.  First, because business is simply greedy that way -- "Never pay anybody any more than you just have to" -- and second, prior aliens either now sworn or born into U.S. citizenship may well not look kindly on the idea and seriously hurt somebody at the polls.

As long as American business -- of which a large part appears to be reluctant to pay a decent wage to anyone -- cannot manufacture and sell its product for what it sees as a proper return it will go looking elswhere.  I also think because the issue is about money that persons in government who might actually be able to do something concrete will continue to look away because loss of such a benefit would be consider detrimental to "friends" who run Americans and businesses.

None of this stuff happens without someone responsible for oversight somewhere along the line turning a blind eye. 

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #251   Jan 18, 2009 7:52 pm
How unkind and uncharitable to refer to people as illegal.  Las Vegas is built and served by people with diverse ethnic backgrounds.  Praise God for their efforts and ambitions.

The sadness and tragedy of it all is that these "illegals" contribute over $2 BILLION dollars a year to the Social Security Fund and will probably never collect any money out of it!  A sin that cries out to God!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #252   Jan 18, 2009 8:14 pm
CarmineD wrote:
How unkind and uncharitable to refer to people as illegal.  Las Vegas is built and served by people with diverse ethnic backgrounds.  Praise God for their efforts and ambitions.

The sadness and tragedy of it all is that these "illegals" contribute over $2 BILLION dollars a year to the Social Security Fund and will probably never collect any money out of it!  A sin that cries out to God!

Carmine D.

If you do not report income earnings how do you contribute to SS?  Most illegals are not contributing to our financial security. Diverse is not always illegal.
CarmineD

Reply #253   Jan 18, 2009 8:24 pm
Good question HS! 

Unfortunately many "illegals" are contributing but they don't have accurate/correct social security numbers [so they can't be tracked], hence the reason they are unkindly called "illegal."  But their employers are required by law to withhold social security from their wages and remit to the Government, under penalty of law for not doing so.  Hence, the reason they will never collect any of it themselves.

True, diverse doesn't mean illegal.  But....'illegal' as used by most generally means diverse.  If you read the links DIB provided about the employees in your neck of the woods, they don't speak English as a first language.  I'd say that makes them diverse.

Carmine D 

This message was modified Jan 18, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #254   Jan 18, 2009 8:40 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
If you do not report income earnings how do you contribute to SS?  Most illegals are not contributing to our financial security. Diverse is not always illegal.

Hi Hardsell,

What about indirect contribution?  Even if not performing work in a government sanctioned fashion, by way of earned American dollars, alien laborers return money, including sales tax, for food, lodging and clothing to the U.S. communities they work or reside in. 

I don't imagine that they anticipate receiving social security benefits.  Nonetheless, their local daily spending will in some way support it for someone else.  As well, I've seen natural-born Americans who've barely hit a lick at a snake their whole lives get SSi benefits PLUS subsidies if the SSI rate they received was considered to low by way of the cost of living standard.

Venson
HARDSELL

Reply #255   Jan 19, 2009 8:58 am
> It is interesting that the federal government provides a
> single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00
> and each can also get an additional $580.00 in social assistance for a total
of$2,470.00 .
>
> This compares very well to a single pensioner who after contributing to the
growth and development of America for 40 to 50 years can only receive a monthly
maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and Guaranteed Income Supplemen

Can anyone verify if this is true?

CarmineD

Reply #256   Jan 19, 2009 9:04 am
HS:

The $1012 for max monthly social security payout is dated.  At a minimum it does not reflect the 5.7 increase granted in January 2009 for all recipients.  And I'd suggest the base amount is too low now too.  What is your source and date?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #257   Jan 19, 2009 9:41 am
HARDSELL wrote:
> It is interesting that the federal government provides a
> single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00
> and each can also get an additional $580.00 in social assistance for a total
of$2,470.00 .
>
> This compares very well to a single pensioner who after contributing to the
growth and development of America for 40 to 50 years can only receive a monthly
maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and Guaranteed Income Supplemen

Can anyone verify if this is true?

Hi Hardsell,

I looked and came up with the following

http://www.governmentgrantsearch.com/posts/view/refugee-and-entrant-resettlement-opportunity

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/does_the_us_pay_1800_a_month.html

http://www.federalgrantswire.com/federal-grants-q-t.html

The last of the above lot has an entry regarding funds for refugee assistance which states that such assistance only lasts for eight months.  So the offering of assistance may well be only temporary.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #258   Jan 19, 2009 4:37 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Hardsell,

The last of the above lot has an entry regarding funds for refugee assistance which states that such assistance only lasts for eight months.  So the offering of assistance may well be only temporary.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Like the payments for the Federal Witness Protection Program and Unemployment Benefits:  They don't keep coming until you die and then pay a Death Benefit [for burial], like Social Security.  Thanks for the links.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 249 - 258 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42