Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Original Message   May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

ORECK - The business, the history, the machine, the man and related.

(Below: Oreck 1979 to 2008)

< yr. 1979  < yr. 5/2008

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 239 - 248 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: The Oreck vacuum and everything you wanted to know (hopefully)...
Reply #239   Dec 2, 2008 12:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello MOLE:

Should the business owner feel guilty with the latter approach?   If the customer is old, on social security, and having difficulty making ends meet.  Most definitely.  If the customer is a "Donald Trump type,"  Of course not.  A wise business man once told me that all good business people have a little laceny in their hearts.  Maybe its true.  As a successful business operator in it for the long haul, you have to make the call:  When is it good business to push the $700 top of the line and when is it unethical.  If it's a Saturday and you have to close the week shortly [make or break day], the answer depends on what you have to make to meet expenses for the week and take home a day's pay to feed the family.  That's business.

Carmine D.

Unethical is OK if it benefits you.  I expected this from you.
CarmineD

Reply #240   Dec 2, 2008 1:39 pm
Hello HARDSELL:

I didn't say "unethical," you did.  Not my choice of words.  I call it "business."  

If you were an independent business proprietor  [and by your admission you never were] and want to stay in business for the long term, you have occasions when you push the $700 vacuum, and not the lesser, to make the higher profit.   Business is about a long term relationship, not a one time vacuum sale.   There are plenty of times to extend business amenities to your customers, not just on the initial sale, to show your appreciation for their business.  When you are in business for 40 plus years, you had to satisfy people and give them their money's worth else not survive.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 2, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #241   Dec 2, 2008 1:41 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

If the Oreck had worked I would not have purchased the Dyson.  Heed your own advice. 

Hello HARDSELL:

Using your logic above, if the dyson still worked then you would not have sold it and used the proceeds to buy another brand.  I still own and use my ORECK daily and recommend to others.  You prove my point that only 10 percent of buyers are loyal to a specific brand.  Most people, like you, have a repertoire of different brands for household cleaning products.  ORECK is in my home, along with HOOVER and other brands, because it works.  Dyson isn't because it doesn't.

Promoting one vacuum brand only, as has been the case for dyson fans here, at the exclusion and expense of other brands, particularly by bashing, is bad for the vacuum business.  Of course, it's simple to understand when you are an employee for that vacuum brand/company.  Then you have a vested interest to impugn the competition.  Is this unethical.........because it secretly benefits you [by not disclosing your real/true motives]?  Or is it business?  

Carmine D. 

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #242   Dec 2, 2008 3:13 pm
Why in the world is it considered unethical to sell a customer a vacuum that meets their needs just because it's above some arbitrary price?  If someone wants to spend $2000, $1600, $1200, $120, or even $50 vacuum for whatever reason that is their business.   It's possible for a $200 vacuum to have a higher cost over 5 years than a $400 vacuum.   For some vacuums, the up front cost is cheap, but you sure get hosed on the bags/belts/filters.

As an aside, I believe that Target had the pink Dyson DC07 for $350 with a free $100 gift card recently. 

HARDSELL wrote:
Unethical is OK if it benefits you.  I expected this from you.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
HARDSELL

Reply #243   Dec 2, 2008 4:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

I didn't say "unethical," you did.  Not my choice of words.  I call it "business."  

If you were an independent business proprietor  [and by your admission you never were] and want to stay in business for the long term, you have occasions when you push the $700 vacuum, and not the lesser, to make the higher profit.   Business is about a long term relationship, not a one time vacuum sale.   There are plenty of times to extend business amenities to your customers, not just on the initial sale, to show your appreciation for their business.  When you are in business for 40 plus years, you had to satisfy people and give them their money's worth else not survive.

Carmine D.

You call it what you want.  I call it deceiving and unethical as I think most others would.  We are accustomed to your manipulation of words and facts to justify your logic.

You could just as easily give someone their money's worth for less cost          unless it profits you.

HARDSELL

Reply #244   Dec 2, 2008 4:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Using your logic above, if the dyson still worked then you would not have sold it and used the proceeds to buy another brand.  I still own and use my ORECK daily and recommend to others.  You prove my point that only 10 percent of buyers are loyal to a specific brand.  Most people, like you, have a repertoire of different brands for household cleaning products.  ORECK is in my home, along with HOOVER and other brands, because it works.  Dyson isn't because it doesn't.

Promoting one vacuum brand only, as has been the case for dyson fans here, at the exclusion and expense of other brands, particularly by bashing, is bad for the vacuum business.  Of course, it's simple to understand when you are an employee for that vacuum brand/company.  Then you have a vested interest to impugn the competition.  Is this unethical.........because it secretly benefits you [by not disclosing your real/true motives]?  Or is it business?  

Carmine D. 

Common sense overides your logic Carmine.  I used the Dyson for 3 years and the Oreck for maybe 3 weeks.  I got rid of the Oreck for poor performance in my home.  I got rid of the Dyson just to try other vacs.  Major difference.  I do not own a Dyson and still recommend it.  That is a better compliment than recommending what you use.  Where is your loyalty to the busted Hoover?  If you use them that speaks lowly for Oreck and Hoover.  Really, two brands to do the job of 1 Dyson.

We have repeatedly heard that Dyson did not work on your builder grade carpet.  Speaking of builder grade items.  Did you ever get that builder grade plasma that was gifted with the home replaced or repaired?

In case you forgot.  The Kirby and Royal that replaced the Dyson do not perform to the same high standards.

CarmineD

Reply #245   Dec 2, 2008 5:32 pm
Hello HARDSELL:

I can use and recommend more than one vacuum brand and still have loyalty to the brands.   

Severus asks:  Why is it unethical to sell a vacuum for $700 and/or $2000?  Good question.  Not knowing the brand/model one can't say it's unethical or not.  You believe any vacuum over $200 is overpriced.  Is that logical?  Maybe for most big box store vacuums, like your fave [no longer in use] brand?  Not true for most of the vacuum store brands.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #246   Dec 3, 2008 6:58 am
As an aside, I believe that Target had the pink Dyson DC07 for $350 with a free $100 gift card recently. 

Hello Severus:

I saw this advertisement over the weekend.  For a dyson buyer, I believe it is a better buy [$250] than most other retailers' dyson models currently being sold.  Of course, with the caveat that a dyson DC07 will not perform on some rug brands and styles.  Not an issue for vacuum enthusiasts buying for collectable reasons. 

In Sept 2006, TARGET stores were selling a DC07 pink on a Labor Day Sale/Cancer Fund Drive for $379, less 10 percent if charged on a TARGET credit card, plus a $100 Giftcard.  The final price, before sales tax, was $240.  I bought for home use.  But this time, unlike with my purchase, there is no mention in the advertisement of dyson/TARGET contributing $45 to the Susan B. Komen cancer foundation with each sale.  

The TARGET Web Site bills this as an "exclusive" with the caveat that it is out of stock.  Perhaps stores are selling out of their old stock.  Which means, if they don't sell and there is a good chance they will not, the price will be lower in the future and/or TARGET may have to offer better buyer incentives with purchases.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #247   Dec 3, 2008 4:34 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dyson used science and ingenuity to build his filtration.  And ingenuity to build his hose/wand for uprights.  Both are now copied by the richest and biggest manufacturers.  Compared to the Oreck, which most of this appliance could be made by going to the plumbing store and using used vac parts.  Where is the proprietary break-thru science on the Oreck?  There is none.  And when I walk the isles of the biggest American retailers or view the biggest retailers online and globally, one will see Sir James Dyson’s and his fellow inventors (his engineers) handiwork on competing manufacturers vacuums, not so with Oreck.

Mole, perhaps if all manufacturers who have reversed engineered Dyson’s science and ingenuity (filtration, hose/wand and maybe his popularizing the HEPA too) paid the guy a royalty on each unit sold maybe Dyson would not be forced to spend up to $50m annually educating the public of his work.  He cannot stand back and watch the leaches take the market he created. 

Mole, not sure of your complaints of the Dyson pricing...  the high retail price of many Euro vacuums provide nice margins that dealers enjoy.  By comparison, Dyson's do not have (often times) anywhere near the profit margins as many of the Euro vacuums.  Euro vac makers save money on advertising only to pass on higher margins to dealers.

DIB

DIB,

As everyone knows I have always been pro Dyson.  I will repeat that I feel it is priced too high.  I also think there are lesser vacs that are way overpriced.  If an Oreck is worth $800 the Dyson is worth $2000. I think the Dyson is worth as much as Miele, Kirby and other over priced brands.  Again they are all over priced.

I could say that if JD gave up on his other projects he could reduce the price of his vacuum.  On the other hand he does invest his money to help others whereas the other brands simply pocket the profits.

So what if JD goes busted.  Look at how he gave others a job and contributed to the economy.  At least he contributed.  What has Oreck offered?  Maybe winimum wage and a paid holiday for its employees while the family lives in luxury.  What have the other brands given in return?

Most any vac costing over $200 is over priced IMHO.

-----------------

Hi Hardsell,

We should all be grateful someone has the guts to innovate and gamble bringing innovations to market.  This takes money.  Last I checked Sir James was spending $95m on R&D.  Yes, he is not investing in vacuum cleaners only.  I have heard rumors of future products.  If they prove out, they will give people greater choices and hopefully create wealth and jobs too.        DIB

This message was modified Dec 3, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #248   Dec 3, 2008 6:02 pm
Your economic praise for dyson is misplaced if you live in the USA and the UK.  Dyson products are made in MAL-ASIA and imported by the USA and UK.  Sales contribute to foreign countries and workers at the expense of the US and UK economies.   It's an outflow of US and UK resources/capital when Americans/Brits buy dyson products.   

ORECK is made in the USA with several US plants, 500 US stores and hundreds of US employees.  Sales of ORECK-s contribute to the US economy and US workers, increasing people's wealth here not abroad.  Like they say in the USA:  Buy American.  I like to add: Especially in the current economic times.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 3, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 239 - 248 of 258Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42