Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 73 - 82 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
christine

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #73   May 10, 2008 12:45 pm
OK my question about riccar supralite/simplicity freedom has been partially answered by my discovery that the Riccar RSL4 model has a "SQUEEGEE for bare floors."

The Riccar RLS3 doesn't seem to, not does the Simplicity Freedom as far as I can ascertain.

So: does this squeegee improve performance on bare floors, even if you still can't shut off the brushroll?

C
Lucky1

Reply #74   May 10, 2008 12:56 pm
christine wrote:
OK my question about riccar supralite/simplicity freedom has been partially answered by my discovery that the Riccar RSL4 model has a &quot;SQUEEGEE for bare floors.&quot; <BR><BR>The Riccar RLS3 doesn't seem to, not does the Simplicity Freedom as far as I can ascertain.<BR><BR>So: does this squeegee improve performance on bare floors, even if you still can't shut off the brushroll?<BR><BR>C

The Freedom F3600 has a squeege.
It weighs 8 lbs

The Dyson Slim is 15.5 lbs

The original post was for specific requirements and the Dyson did not fit those: weight, cost, location of manufacture.
Maybe your needs differ. Would a canister be a better fit?
christine

Reply #75   May 10, 2008 5:30 pm
My requirements are different from those of the original poster-in my first post i explained that lightweight is my first requirement.
Also not $#%*bersome and easy to manouever.

I've always felt canisters were a bit $#%*bersome to use and difficult to store. But everyone says canisters are better than uprights for a mainly-bare-floors situation like mine. And now i have been to the vac shop, i might change my mind.

There's a tiny miele canister--carina (seems same as the antares, recommended here earlier) --which seems very light (14 lb) and easy to use, doesn't have brushroll at all but good enough suction (and variable suction level and motor speed) for my low-pile rugs.

So after all my anti-canister protestations, I am seriously considering it!

They only had the 3300 and 3500 Simplicity Freedoms--wonderfully light weight. But no squeegee--so some dirt did fall back at one's feet but a couple of passes seemed sufficient to deal with it on bare floor.

I didn't bring baking soda though as recommended by someone here! actually the salesperson says this would clog the machine (any vacuum) anyway...

The caveat mentioned by the salesperson is that if you vaccum up a coin or screw or similar object--which could so EASILY happen in my house!!--it could get sucked into the works and damage fan and/or motor. What do people think about this?
Same danger with an Oreck, apparently.

They don't yet have the dyson 24 or 25, I'll have to look at those elsewhere.

C.
HARDSELL

Reply #76   May 10, 2008 10:02 pm
christine wrote:
My requirements are different from those of the original poster-in my first post i explained that lightweight is my first requirement.
Also not $#%*bersome and easy to manouever.

I've always felt canisters were a bit $#%*bersome to use and difficult to store. But everyone says canisters are better than uprights for a mainly-bare-floors situation like mine. And now i have been to the vac shop, i might change my mind.

There's a tiny miele canister--carina (seems same as the antares, recommended here earlier) --which seems very light (14 lb) and easy to use, doesn't have brushroll at all but good enough suction (and variable suction level and motor speed) for my low-pile rugs.

So after all my anti-canister protestations, I am seriously considering it!

They only had the 3300 and 3500 Simplicity Freedoms--wonderfully light weight. But no squeegee--so some dirt did fall back at one's feet but a couple of passes seemed sufficient to deal with it on bare floor.

I didn't bring baking soda though as recommended by someone here! actually the salesperson says this would clog the machine (any vacuum) anyway...

The caveat mentioned by the salesperson is that if you vaccum up a coin or screw or similar object--which could so EASILY happen in my house!!--it could get sucked into the works and damage fan and/or motor. What do people think about this?
Same danger with an Oreck, apparently.

They don't yet have the dyson 24 or 25, I'll have to look at those elsewhere.

C.

If baking soda damages the vacuum then you should not buy it.  It will not harm the Dyson.
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #77   May 11, 2008 3:06 am
I think the salesperson thought you were going to spread the baking soda all over the floors at your house and vacuum it, which would make a mess and clog ANY vacuum (yes Dyson too).  The higher end Freedoms do have the squeegee on the nozzle so they can be used on bare floors.
HARDSELL

Reply #78   May 11, 2008 8:57 am
Vacuuman wrote:
I think the salesperson thought you were going to spread the baking soda all over the floors at your house and vacuum it, which would make a mess and clog ANY vacuum (yes Dyson too).  The higher end Freedoms do have the squeegee on the nozzle so they can be used on bare floors.

Do you think Capture would clog these vacuums?

Motorhead

Reply #79   May 11, 2008 12:02 pm
Vacuuman wrote:

Vacuumin:

Dyson vacuums do not clog under this situation AS LONG AS the test substance is picked up deliberately and slowly from an even surface.  I've vacuumed various clogging substances off of both carpets and bare floors with my DC21, and each time the suction and airflow remained constant.  If you just put the hose into a bucket of Capture or large pile of baking soda and expect the machine to inhale all of that at once, of course the pre-motor filter is going to get dirty, and in some situations, yes, clog.  The key is to let the machine take in AIR as well, so the cyclones can effectively separate the test substance.  This can be applied to ALL Dysons, both Root Cyclone and Level 3...there's a limit to everything.  No vacuum is perfect, yet, although I have to admit that Dyson comes pretty damn close in terms of constant, uninhibited performance.

-MH
This message was modified May 11, 2008 by Motorhead
DysonInventsBig

Reply #80   May 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Motorhead,

You nailed it, having fast moving air is crucial.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #81   May 11, 2008 12:51 pm
Hello Vacuuman:

I think you nailed it.  Doesn't the dyson manual make some caveats for the users about fine dust resutling from wall board and plaster?  I thought I read that somwhere, and may have to take a another look to verify. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 11, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #82   May 11, 2008 7:18 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Vacuumin:

Dyson vacuums do not clog under this situation AS LONG AS the test substance is picked up deliberately and slowly from an even surface.  I've vacuumed various clogging substances off of both carpets and bare floors with my DC21, and each time the suction and airflow remained constant.  If you just put the hose into a bucket of Capture or large pile of baking soda and expect the machine to inhale all of that at once, of course the pre-motor filter is going to get dirty, and in some situations, yes, clog.  The key is to let the machine take in AIR as well, so the cyclones can effectively separate the test substance.  This can be applied to ALL Dysons, both Root Cyclone and Level 3...there's a limit to everything.  No vacuum is perfect, yet, although I have to admit that Dyson comes pretty damn close in terms of constant, uninhibited performance.

-MH

I know from experience that the Dyson will not clog with Capture.  I have also used a Dyson to vacuum an unfinished that had years of dirt and dust accumulated.  No problem.

I previously suggested taking the baking soda to an Oreck store.  They have no hose so it should be a good test to sprinkle it on a bare floor to see how Oreck handles fine dust.  My bet is that it will blow the baking soda across the room.

Replies: 73 - 82 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42