Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 63 - 72 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #63   May 9, 2008 1:58 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
No apology is necessary.    Your vacuum choices ars so amusing that it is no wonder that you like cartoons.

HS:

I read the comics daily too.  I just enjoy a good laugh and finding humor in all things.  Like you and your posts.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #64   May 9, 2008 2:03 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I am cedrtain that every home owner would prefer 4 or 5 vacuums cluttering their home as opposed to only one that does the same duty----better.

HS:

Not I, with only 2, unlike you.  I have an Oreck upright and a HOOVER cann.  Both lightweights and compact and use less electricty [4 amps/8 amps respectively].  I also have a 2 pound HOOVER Slider for quick pick me ups.  And of course, the HOOVER Floorwasher [which resides in the garage]. 

Now, if my memory serves me: You currently have a Royal Eminence and a Kirby Sentria and a Rainbow and [before you sold it after using 2 years] a dyson DC07.  Four super heavyweights in price and pounds and power usage.  And you made some inquiries here about a Swivel vac.  Sound familiar?  Your post fits you perfectly.

Which do you use for quick cleans and attachments?

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 9, 2008 by CarmineD
christine

Reply #65   May 9, 2008 2:22 pm
Gosh so much more info, mind is starting to boggle...!<BR><BR>Thanks for the notes on Riccar/Simplicity-- I see that this was well-rated by Consumer reports in their latest survey. <BR><BR>(I wish they had rated the new light-weight Dyson. And they don't seem to mention Oreck at all, unless i missed it as have only glanced quickly so far...i expect reasons for this have been already discussed in these pages at length. Anyway, you guys, with all your detailed info, are more than making up for any oversights by CR! ).<BR><BR>MH, thanks for your suggestions--I'm not &quot; dead-set&quot; on an Oreck, but it appeals because of the lightweight factor; however I'd certainly try other lightweight brands before deciding. The rebuilt route is an idea.<BR><BR> Lucky, I do appreciate your comparison of Freedom and Oreck--most informative.<BR><BR>I should add that I will not be making this purchase alone but with my husband. I didn't mention any price restrictions when I originally put out my question, because I wanted to see what you guys came up with....but, sigh, price restrictions may well come into the final decision!<BR><BR>Christine<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Edited to add, I know I have already had a very good review of the lightweight Dysons from MH, not ignoring that, or any of the other suggestions here. Consumer Reports is always useful though as a (supposedly) objective and unbiased authority.
This message was modified May 9, 2008 by christine
CarmineD

Reply #66   May 9, 2008 2:42 pm
March 2008 is the first time in recent and past years Oreck was not rated by Consumer Reports.  Until then, Oreck always made CR's top 10-15 in ranks with good ratings for carpet cleaning and excellent ratings for floors. 

I opined recently that I thought Oreck was excluded in March 2008 because it tried to get one of its newer/less expensive models [$399] rated/ranked but was preempted by time.  Just my opinion.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 9, 2008 by CarmineD
christine

Reply #67   May 9, 2008 5:58 pm
Sorry about gobbeldy-gook above, I tried to edit and that's what happened.

Christine
christine

Reply #68   May 9, 2008 7:06 pm
Consumer Reports has rave user reviews about the Riccar Supralite which has also been recommended highly in this discussion, along with Simplicity Freedom.

I haven't looked at the machines themselves yet, but want to ask a question:

MH has pointed out the importance of brushroll shutoff for bare floors, otherwise the brush throws the dust around.

Am I right in understanding that neither the Riccar Supralite or the Simplicity freedom has this feature?

Have those who like these vacuums used them on bare floors, and what was their performance?

Christine.
HARDSELL

Reply #69   May 9, 2008 7:25 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Not I, with only 2, unlike you.  I have an Oreck upright and a HOOVER cann.  Both lightweights and compact and use less electricty [4 amps/8 amps respectively].  I also have a 2 pound HOOVER Slider for quick pick me ups.  And of course, the HOOVER Floorwasher [which resides in the garage]. 

Now, if my memory serves me: You currently have a Royal Eminence and a Kirby Sentria and a Rainbow and [before you sold it after using 2 years] a dyson DC07.  Four super heavyweights in price and pounds and power usage.  And you made some inquiries here about a Swivel vac.  Sound familiar?  Your post fits you perfectly.

Which do you use for quick cleans and attachments?

Carmine D.

I have 3 vacuums as you state.  Any of the 3 will do it all.  A used vacuum is worth pennies for the $ it cost so I will keep the Rainbow.  I use it as a shop vac only.  I used it for a few years when I washed out my boat.  It is perfect for vacuuming water from a ski well and the carpets.  If your Hoover cann is so good why do you use the Oreck or vice versa.  I saw the swivel on TV and just wondered how experience compared with the ad.  I suppose it is like Oreck, all hype and poor performance.

If amps really do matter as most manufacturers advertise, (particularily Hoover which you have ranted about so often) then your 2 vacs must perform poorly.  I use more electricity with my home theater than a vacuum could begin to use.  The cost to operate a 4 amp vs a 12 amp to vacuum 1500 sq. ft. would only save a fer cents a month.  I would rather know that my house is clean and that my carpet will not wear prematurely due to using an inferior vac.

I use the Royal for quick cleans.  The Kirby is like the transformer toys.  You have to convert from upright to cannister to use the hose.  Of course you know that.

HARDSELL

Reply #70   May 9, 2008 7:36 pm
christine wrote:
Edited to add, I know I have already had a very good review of the lightweight Dysons from MH, not ignoring that, or any of the other suggestions here. Consumer Reports is always useful though as a (supposedly) objective and unbiased authority.

It is so good in fact that Carmine quotes it regularly------if it reports what he wants to hear.

I kbw that CR awarded a pasenger van a best buy because it had so many cup holders.  That certainly helps a vehicle to sell for $30,000.

They also give high marks to televisions, speakers and associated components that are laughed at among the people who know how unrealistic the report is. 

CarmineD

Reply #71   May 9, 2008 8:20 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I have 3 vacuums as you state.  Any of the 3 will do it all.  A used vacuum is worth pennies for the $ it cost so I will keep the Rainbow.  I use it as a shop vac only.  I used it for a few years when I washed out my boat.  It is perfect for vacuuming water from a ski well and the carpets.  If your Hoover cann is so good why do you use the Oreck or vice versa.  I saw the swivel on TV and just wondered how experience compared with the ad.  I suppose it is like Oreck, all hype and poor performance.

If amps really do matter as most manufacturers advertise, (particularily Hoover which you have ranted about so often) then your 2 vacs must perform poorly.  I use more electricity with my home theater than a vacuum could begin to use.  The cost to operate a 4 amp vs a 12 amp to vacuum 1500 sq. ft. would only save a fer cents a month.  I would rather know that my house is clean and that my carpet will not wear prematurely due to using an inferior vac.

I use the Royal for quick cleans.  The Kirby is like the transformer toys.  You have to convert from upright to cannister to use the hose.  Of course you know that.

HS:

The Oreck is for rugs and floors.  Cost $150.  The HOOVER Cann for attachment cleaning cost $50.  The Slider for quick cleans cost $25.  Each peforms well for the assigned task.  $225 total.

If any of your 3 super heavies can do it all, why did you buy more than 1?  I'll answer for you because I like you.    

At one time, one vacuum was the norm for an American household.  That is no longer the case and hasn't been for decades.  Most US households today have multiple full size vacuums/stick/hand vacuums/lightweights.  Each suited for particular cleaning tasks/needs.  Just as you and I do. 

I must say less vacuum weight is the latest now.  And while ramped up amps was all the rage in years past, now the mantra is "less is more" and social responsibility for the environment [going green/energy conservation].  David Oreck recognized both concepts early on and captured/locked in on the market long long ago.  The others are imitating and playing catch up.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 10, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #72   May 9, 2008 8:30 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
It is so good in fact that Carmine quotes it regularly------if it reports what he wants to hear.

HS:

Like I always tell you, Consumer Reports is a guide and a reference source not the gospel.  The experts and pro-s in the vacuum industry are the authoritative sources of the best vacuums for the money.

Carmine D.

Replies: 63 - 72 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42