Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 44 - 53 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #44   May 6, 2008 5:42 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Carmine, I'm curious how you were able to snag an Oreck for only $150, even without the useless hand vac (good move BTW on not falling for the bowling-ball hype and purchasing that piece of $#%*).  Do tell, please, as I never thought it was even remotely possible for even the BOL Classic as you purchased, unless there was some sort of "buddy deal" involved.  I'm assuming you purchased this at an Oreck store?  Are you friends with the owners/manager there?

-MH

I inquired at a local Oreck store if I could get credit = to the freebies that come with an Oreck.  I was given an emphatic no.

$300 to $700 for a $25 vacuum.  No way.

CarmineD

Reply #45   May 6, 2008 8:02 pm

I mentioned in the past and even in my review on this page.  I donate to the Humane Society of the US.  Oreck is a supporter of many worthy causes including the Humane Society of the US.  Last April I received an offer from Oreck in concert with the US Humane Society to buy a new Oreck XL Deluxe Classic for $150 plus shipping.  I bought.  I liked it so much I subsequently purchased 3 more at the same price and gifted them away to family members [with very different households].  All are pleased.

I met Dave many years ago when I had my vacuum store.  He had more hair then.  I liked him and still do.  Despite the personal friendship, I did not sell new Orecks when I had my store.  Repaired them, sold parts, and sold them used/rebuilt. 

I have never asked for/received a discount from Oreck for any of my purchases.  Not even a senior citizen discount.  Or industry discount.  Business is business. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 6, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #46   May 6, 2008 9:15 pm
Carmine,

Let's say (hypothetically speaking) I wanted to buy a new BOL Oreck for $150.  Would I just call the Humane Society and inform them of my donation so I can take part on this deal as well?  In addition to that, how much of a donation would I need to make if I wanted to take part on this deal? 

If said deal does not exist, stating that *you* were able to purchase the machine for $150 is a moot point when no one else can, and only serves to steer prospective customers *away* from the Oreck after learning otherwise.  By the way, it is a well-known fact that Orecks are NOT sold in ordinary vac shops.  They are sold in Oreck stores and Oreck stores alone, only competing with Dave Oreck himself for the customer.  The plain and simple truth is that if Orecks were carried at vac shops alongside other brands for the advertised list prices, not *one* would sell due to the presence of many better (and generally less expensive) alternatives.

-MH
This message was modified May 7, 2008 by Motorhead
christine

Reply #47   May 6, 2008 9:37 pm
My goodness, I certainly have come to the right place.
Thank you so much, everyone, for taking the time to give all this advice and share your expertise. All of the information is helpful--of course my husband and I have bought vacuums over the years, but never with much forethought or knowledge! We've slowly learned that it's only when you get a vacuum home and use it that you realize all its pros and cons. I appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you MH, I especially appreciated your detailed and informative analysis of the whole shebang. Especially the business re brushroll shutoff, and the comparison of different bagless emptying mechanisms. And recommendations. Very helpful indeed.

Thanks Carmine( you vacuum DAILY??? I am impressed. Or perhaps everyone does, oh dear...) for insights on Oreck and reminder that I can try it free for 30 days.

I'm grateful, HS, for your comments on the Dyson, esp re its performance on bare floors.

Lucky1, thanks for more details on Sebo Felix.

I think that's everyone who has replied so far. Now I have to process all the information, and try out some of the vacuums before deciding.

Thanks again.
C.
CarmineD

Reply #48   May 7, 2008 7:47 am
The US Humane Society made the offer to donors through an arrangement with Oreck.  In writing. There was no limit on the quantities purchased.  My sense from my taxes in 2006/2007 is that we contribute less than $100 in a series of monthly/quarterly checks. 

Oreck has about 500 stores nationwide.  Most of the parts and repairs are on non-Oreck brand vacuums.  Oreck also has a nationwide network of independent vacuum stores/dealers who are authorized to sell new Orecks.  Makes sense if the 500 Oreck stores can sell parts and repair all vacuum brands [even your fave brand], then independent vacuum stores can sell new Orecks.  My dear Wife, who fell in love with the 8 pound Oreck upright, saw it demo-ed at a vacuum store that had 6-8 name brand vacuums including your fave brand.

If a prospective buyer can't snag [my word] a new Oreck XL Classic for $150, and doesn't want a 3 year guaranty and the extras for $299, then a used Oreck is a definite possibility.  They are available from Oreck stores and independent vacuum stores [with a guaranty].  And also estates sales are an excellent source of used Orecks.  Orecks sell for as little as $25-$50 at estate sales.  And belt and bag changes are quick and simple and readily available.   I know many people who have purchased Oreck in these ways and are thrilled and satisfied.  Orecks sell themselves and last a lifetime

Christine:

I vacuum daily without missing.  I have a yellow English lab that sheds year round and I live in the desert [LV].  When you vacuum daily, 1500 square feet of floors and rugs combined, the 8 pound Oreck is a well appreciated tool.  If I were to do the same with a full size vacuum [and I have] 3 herniated disks in my back would keep me permanently in pain.  BTW, I'm about to add another 4 legged family member [from the humane society].

I also spend an hour every day in my garden, save a few cold winter days which are few and far between in the desert.  Both practices are the secret of my longevity.  Plan to publish a book with all the details.  I'll sell it for $10 per copy [autographed copies a $1 more].  Donate the proceeds to a worthy cause.  Maybe even the dyson engineering school?

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 7, 2008 by CarmineD
Just

Reply #49   May 7, 2008 3:42 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I inquired at a local Oreck store if I could get credit = to the freebies that come with an Oreck.  I was given an emphatic no.

$300 to $700 for a $25 vacuum.  No way.

This must be a trait or policy of your local store.  When I was shopping for a lightweight back in February, I too enquired about just the vac prices.  He offered to take $100 off the price.

When one is shopping, everything is negotiable or they don't have a sale.

christine

Reply #50   May 8, 2008 9:00 pm
MH, I just want to add that Orecks are indeed sold in my local vac store alongside other brands, including all, I think, of those that have been recommended on this thread.

I will be going in soon to check them out...

Carmine, now I understand why you vacuum daily (and why I don't have pets except a non-shedding cat!). I too have disk problems, and other aching joints, that's why I need a light weight machine.
I hadn't thought of used/reconditioned as an option--an idea to ponder.

Thanks again, everyone.
Christine
Motorhead

Reply #51   May 8, 2008 11:44 pm
Hi Christine,

Another person informed me that older dealers who sold Oreck before the "Oreck store exclusive" policy went into effect can still purchase the traditional-style uprights, so I stand corrected on that.  You could also be seeing rebuilt machines as well, which, in that case I definitely wouldn't rule out but not before I tried the other brands first.  If you're dead-set on an Oreck the best bet is to find a good deal on a rebuilt higher-end machine such as an XL21 at a reputable shop.  It will give you the same performance as a new machine, but being used it will also have depreciated somewhat and you won't suffer the "sticker shock" from a new one.  Orecks *are* ridiculously overpriced for being such simple machines that seem inexpensive to manufacture. 

Again, good luck and let us know what you come up with,
-MH
This message was modified May 9, 2008 by Motorhead
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #52   May 9, 2008 12:07 am
Before you buy the overpriced Oreck, look at the new Riccar SupraLite and Simplicity Freedom with the metal brushroll and permanent poly V belt.  This machine also has a belt protection system that will shut the machine off if anything jams the brush.  You will find this machine to clean better than the Oreck and youll never have to change a belt.   Just a thought.
CarmineD

Reply #53   May 9, 2008 3:55 am
In the current economic environment, a savvy vacuum shopper can probably snag  a new Oreck upright for considerably less than the standard sticker prices.  As Just pointed out, the Oreck store where he shopped recently lowered the price by $100.  The US Humane Society in concert with Oreck offered the XL Classic DeLuxe for $150 plus shipping.  Independent vacuum stores will probably do the same [lower the prices on new and used Orecks] to be competitive with the Oreck stores.  So shop smart.  By all means consider/test every lightweight brand mentioned before buying. 

If buying American is important, the Simplicity/RICCAR brands are home grown [I believe but worth verifying] and as Vacuuman and others said these are excellent rug/floor performers.  But there is only one original.  When it comes to lightweights, it is Oreck: 8 pounds. 

Like all household products, our own personal preferences and needs must be factored into the purchase decision.  Why?  They count as much as performance/service in determining whether we like/dislike the product and use regularly with enthusiam. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 9, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 44 - 53 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42