Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 34 - 43 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #34   May 5, 2008 6:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

After being used and without the box?  Most big box retailers have made returns/refunds much more difficult over the last year.  Only COSTCO, to my knowledge, still has a liberal return/refund policy, probably due in large part to the annual income of their members: About $60,000.

You may have missed a post recently here where a customer tried to return a new dyson to Sam's Club under warranty that burned out after several weeks of use.  Sam's Club refused to accept it telling the buyer to send it back to dyson under warranty.  This is not uncommon now for big box retailers who have taken huge losses year after year by accepting returns/refunds on high priced vacuums.  Why?  They can't resell these returns for new.  Instead, they have to mark them down until sold, most times with the caveat "as is" and without the manufacturers' full warranty.

I own and use an Oreck XL Classic Deluxe.  I also own and use other vacuums.  Including at one time a dyson DC07 pink.  I would recommend the Oreck upright to all persons interested in a lightweight vacuum that performs on rugs and floors just like a full size vacuum. 

Carmine D.

You have one or two examples out tof millions that are sold.  Thanks for the comedy.

I owned and used an Oreck XL21 among other vacuums.  It was the worst of the lot and the most expensive by a large margin.  You do not always get the performance that you pay for.

CarmineD

Reply #35   May 5, 2008 7:48 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
You have one or two examples out tof millions that are sold.  Thanks for the comedy.

I owned and used an Oreck XL21 among other vacuums.  It was the worst of the lot and the most expensive by a large margin.  You do not always get the performance that you pay for.

HS:

Comedy has nothing to do with business unless one is an entertainer.  In good economic times when high price vacuums sell at big box retailers [as they have in recent past], they can afford to eat the losses on the returns/refunds.  Not so in bad times.  Big box retailers are cutting staff, closing stores, and reporting the worse sales in 35 years.  The majority of the big box stores' shoppers are having financial difficulty due to high food and gas prices and the uncertainty of their employment futures.

I paid $150 for the new Oreck XL Classic Deluxe with a one year guaranty.  I use it daily.  It's over a year old.  I gifted the same Oreck models to 3 other households who are pleased and satisfied.   And I will probably upgrade my Oreck to a more expensive model, and gift several more away.    At least I know not to consider you a donee!

Carmine D. 

This message was modified May 5, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #36   May 5, 2008 8:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

Comedy has nothing to do with business unless one is an entertainer.  In good economic times when high price vacuums sell at big box retailers [as they have in recent past], they can afford to eat the losses on the returns/refunds.  Not so in bad times.  Big box retailers are cutting staff, closing stores, and reporting the worse sales in 35 years.  The majority of the big box stores' shoppers are having financial difficulty due to high food and gas prices and the uncertainty of their employment futures.

I paid $150 for the new Oreck XL Classic Deluxe with a one year guaranty.  I use it daily.  It's over a year old.  I gifted the same Oreck models to 3 other households who are pleased and satisfied.   And I will probably upgrade my Oreck to a more expensive model, and gift several more away.    At least I know not to consider you a donee!

Carmine D. 

Your exagerations are comical, not the bad business.

No worry about closings.  The executives can get their millions and the workers can go to the soup lines. Isn't that the American way?

Motorhead

Reply #37   May 5, 2008 11:49 pm
christine wrote:
I'm joining this discussion because I too would like advice on a new vacuum. I've read all the posts in this thread and some of the others. There's so much knowledge here!
The discussion that drew me to the site was the one about the Shopvac EasyLift. My husband called me from Lowes yesterday wondering if he should buy one, and after reading the responses on that thread I called him back saying "NO!"

The reason the Shopvac momentarily appealed was its light weight. Oreck seems very expensive (and has mixed reviews on this site).

I have lots of joint aches etc and the vacuum has to be carried upstairs etc: it must be as light as possible.
Plus we have allergies so need a good filter.

We currently have a Dirt Devil bagless, not heavy, but it has other problems: it's hard to open it to empty the dirt out. The dirt sticks to the filter in a horrible way. While you're vacuuming, there's a fan that blows all the dirt around in front of the vacuum, and away from it! The vacuum is very noisy. And now the rotating brush thing underneath doesn't rotate.

Experience with emptying this vacuum makes me feel like going back to bags. I see the bagged Hoover Clean and Light has been recommended above.

We used to have more wall-to-wall carpet but now have mostly wood floors and about 6/7 area rugs. I see the miele antares has been recommended for such a situation.

Some of the rugs are oriental; I've seen Oreck recommended for those (does it have less suction?!).

I'm far from fastidious; won't admit here how often (or not!) I vacuum; just want a lightweight easy-to-use vacuum that works on bare floors and area rugs, and (preferably) has a couple of easy-to-use attachments for corners, furniture etc.

I haven't really liked using a canister in the past because you have to carry or drag the canister while also holding the hose...but now most of our floors are wood, perhaps a canister would be better?

As you can see, I am confused by the plethora of information! And I've been disappointed with many vacuums in the past.

Ok, I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Is canister vs/upright simply a question of personal preference in the end?
2) I know there's controversy on this site re Dyson; but what about the new Dyson lightweight? (can't recall model number.)
3) bagless vs bags: i hated the difficulty of emptying my dirt devil and the way you have to bang the central filter against something to get the dirt off. Dyson claims emptying its vacuums is easy, is this true? Are there any other bagless that are easy to empty? Buying bags is a hassle, of course.
4)the Hoover canister 51361 has been recommended here as lightweight (tho has bags), any other feedback on this canister?

Hoping for guidance!
Christine.

Hi Christine,

I'm the one who initially reported on the Shop-Vac EasyLift, having purchased one in November of '07.  I wasn't all that impressed.  It is light weight, but is cheaply made and very noisy.   Being a direct-air upright like the Oreck with no provision to shut off the brushroll, it would also (like the Oreck) not be a good choice for those with mostly bare floors.  Having owned an Oreck I can say that Oreck's bare floor cleaning claims is 99% hype, as Hardsell noted they tend to blow a lot of debris back at your feet and leave some debris untouched. 

Narrowing it down, it seems you would be more inclined to an upright as you're looking for a machine that is not too bulky and can be carried around without bending over.  Some uprights are more bare-floor friendly than others; since you have mostly bare floors with the exception of a few oriental rugs you would want an upright with an option to shut off the motorized brushroll, or detachable nozzle.  Regardless of what Carmin or anyone else says, an upright like the Oreck with no brushroll shutoff option would not be a good machine in your situation.  If you're looking for a bagged lightweight upright, Miele offers the S168 Universal Upright (link).  It has an amazing amount of power for its size (infinitely variable motor speed) unlike the Oreck, uses the Miele Intensive Clean microfiltration bags that can hold a good amount of debris without the machine losing power, and since you mentioned you have oriental rugs to clean in addition to the bare floors it can accept an optional power nozzle as well (I would recommend either the SEB226 or 236).  The downside is that no, the brushroll cannot be shut off with the power nozzle still attached to the machine, however, the power nozzle quickly disconnects and can be replaced with the combination nozzle or bare floor tool in seconds.

Another good bagged upright choice is the Sebo Felix (PDF link), which is very similar to the Miele Universal Upright, like the Miele it offers a lot of machine for the price.  Different from the Miele, though, the powerhead can be shut off to clean bare floors instead of detaching it, which may be more convenient for you. 

If you want a lightweight bagless upright, Dyson is the only way to go.  The problem with the Dirt Devil you're using is that it is a filtered bagless machine.  Instead of a bin with two or three consecutive stages of cyclones, there is simply a pleated filter in the center of the bin to trap the fine dust.  Like a bagged machine, fine dust and pet hair will attach to that filter causing it to clog and suction to drop off, not to mention making the machine extremely messy to empty.  That is not a proper bagless machine.  The Dyson, on the other hand, is a proper cyclonic bagless, meaning there are no bin filters to clog; instead a series of cyclones handle the dust separation.  The machine does not lose power as you go along, regardless of what is being vacuumed up, and is a lot less messy to empty.   Depending on the size of your home, I would recommend either the DC24 or DC25 Ball models (Baby and Daddy Ball, respectively; links here).  Both are lightweight, powerful machines (unlike the Oreck), and like the bagged lightweight uprights I mentioned above, are easily adaptable for bare floors.  Both the DC24 and 25 have a brushroll on/off switch.  These machines you will want to check out in person to see which suits you best; the DC24, while extremely lightweight and equipped with a telescoping handle is very small and not the best choice for larger homes due to its small bin capacity (more frequent emptying). 

You've come to the right place for a recommendation.  As with anything, you will hear different opinions, and I recommend you explore all of them.  Head to different independent dealers in your area, try each brand or machine out for yourself, and find which one suits you the best before you make your purchase. 

Hope this helps, and good luck on your search,

-MH
This message was modified May 5, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #38   May 6, 2008 7:31 am
Although not in the most recent CR ratings, in the past Consumer Reports has rated Oreck's bare floor cleaning performance as "excellent'.   Consistently.  If you haven't, you should read the March 2008 CR edition.  It's a good starting place.

Based on my personal and professional experience, I would rate Oreck's bare floor cleaning as excellent too [with a properly working belt and bag].  I add the latter caveat because some may have used an Oreck, in need of service, and been disappointed by the performance.  Both bag and belt changes are explained in the User Manual and can be performed by the user in a few minutes.  Recommended bag changes are every 2-3 months [depending on use] and belts should be changed every 6-9 months.  Inexpensive and widely available.

Many of the other vacuum brands and models are equally good and will perform well.  It really depends on your likes and dislikes and cleaning requirements and needs.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 6, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #39   May 6, 2008 7:37 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Your exagerations are comical, not the bad business.

Bad business to me is comical but is no laughing matter.  Then, again I try to find the humor in all things.  That's why I like you.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #40   May 6, 2008 10:44 am
I also recommend the SEBO Felix.

Your requirements (bare floors, various height carpeting and on-board tools) demands a versatile vacuum preferably a canister with a powerhead that has a brushroll that can be turned on and off. However you would prefer an upright over a canister. The Felix fits every requirement. It is an upright that has the powerhead of a canister which can be raised or lower to the specific carpet height required. The brushroll can be turned off for bare floors or the (included) top quality floor brush can be substituted for optimum cleaning. All heads can be removed and using the attached hose and on-board tools you can use it as a powerful Dustbuster to assist your above floor tasks. It has a slide power adjustment to reduce air flow when delicate objects are being cleaned. It has S class filtration for your allergies.

While not as lightweight as the Oreck or Simplicity Freedom it has tools where the other two need a second vacuum. And has much better filtration. If carried by the side handle it's weight is more distrbuted or you could easily take the powerhead off when carrying.

The Miele, while a great machine is way too costly when a 236 powerhead is added.

The Dyson is closer to the Sebo in weight but does not offer the allergy filtration of the Felix and the tools are complicated for some users.

The only down side might be the price at $550 in store and $599 on-line. BUT you get a quality machine with a great warranty and a network of in store repair. (Ask what you have to go through to get a Dyson repaired).

I would like to recommend the Simplicity or Oreck because they are made in the US and the Sebo is German. BUT if you have to send money out of this country it is better to send it to a developed nation that does not pay semi-slave wages nor takes US jobs. Germany also has a good ecological record that supports wind and solar power vs sending the money to Southeast Asia where it will contribute to higher oil prices.
This message was modified May 6, 2008 by Lucky1
CarmineD

Reply #41   May 6, 2008 12:23 pm
Lucky1:

Good point about the lack of attachments on the Oreck.  For $150, I only received the XL Classic Deluxe.  No Oreck compact canister, generally a give-away with the purchase of the upright for $299.  I use a HOOVER Cann for $50 I purchased from BEST BUY.  But my daily vacuuming of the floors and rugs, including under the furniture and beds, is with the Oreck upright.  Once a week I take the H- cann out for other cleaning.

Some vacuum users like me prefer not to have the additional weight of the attachments on board for daily cleaning with the upright alone.  Again, all a matter of personal preference, needs and wants.

And I like the ORECK because its made in the USA by Americans and has been for 45 years.  Keep jobs here.  Hoorah!

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #42   May 6, 2008 4:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Lucky1:

Good point about the lack of attachments on the Oreck.  For $150, I only received the XL Classic Deluxe.  No Oreck compact canister, generally a give-away with the purchase of the upright for $299.  I use a HOOVER Cann for $50 I purchased from BEST BUY.  But my daily vacuuming of the floors and rugs, including under the furniture and beds, is with the Oreck upright.  Once a week I take the H- cann out for other cleaning.

Some vacuum users like me prefer not to have the additional weight of the attachments on board for daily cleaning with the upright alone.  Again, all a matter of personal preference, needs and wants.

And I like the ORECK because its made in the USA by Americans and has been for 45 years.  Keep jobs here.  Hoorah!

Carmine D.

If you double the price you are buying the attachments.  They are not free.  However, one can manipulate the words and screw the consumer.  That is the good old American way isn't it.

And to think that you call JD misleading. 

Motorhead

Reply #43   May 6, 2008 5:15 pm
Carmine, I'm curious how you were able to snag an Oreck for only $150, even without the useless hand vac (good move BTW on not falling for the bowling-ball hype and purchasing that piece of $#%*).  Do tell, please, as I never thought it was even remotely possible for even the BOL Classic as you purchased, unless there was some sort of "buddy deal" involved.  I'm assuming you purchased this at an Oreck store?  Are you friends with the owners/manager there?

-MH
This message was modified May 6, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 34 - 43 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42