Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vax Mach Series Upright Range

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

Vax Mach Series Upright Range
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm
I knew that Vax UK (which we all know is now part of the TTI conglomerate) had been rebadging Hoover Mach series dual-cyclone uprights, however, paying a visit to their site yesterday I noticed that the design has been slightly modified, for the better I have to say.  Check out the familiar-looking shroud in the bin that was taken directly from the Dirt Devil Spinnergy.  You could say Hoover has invented the Fantom, let's hope that Hoover is just as successful

While I don't think the Hoover Fusion/Maytag Legacy/Mach series machines with the vertically perforated shroud are bad machines, they cannot handle large amounts of fine dust well (the pre-motor filter will get dirty quite fast), and pet hair has a problem sticking to the shroud since the air is pulled in vertically vs. horizontally.  CR reviewed the Fusion a year or two ago and their main complaint was high dust emissions.  Apparently this shroud improvement has already been implemented in the new Hoover Mach 3 at Wal-Mart (blue with yellow touch-points).  It wouldn't surprise me if these machines eventually become top sellers in their price range...any customer who does not or cannot shell out $500 or so for a Dyson will have a good dual-cyclone machine for a fraction of that.  "Is that a new Hoover?"  "No, that's just an old Fantom, from 10 years ago, remember?"

-MH
This message was modified Apr 29, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bucks03

Re: Vax Mach Series Upright Range
Reply #20   May 3, 2008 9:47 am
VAX Machs look horrible  I've seen one in a house I went to in North London and it looks like some nasty bulking thing in the corner.

Ive tried one in shop  way way too bulky.  I used to think my Dyson DC04 was bulky, no way is it compared to these VAX monsters.

CarmineD

Reply #21   May 3, 2008 2:48 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

At the present time price is likely more important to most consumers than the performance, hence the HH is a good seller.  Do you have evidence that the HH has out sold Dyson?  I doubt it.

HS:

I know you don't believe me unless I provide 10 corroborating independent authoritative sources. 

How about Matt mmc Airblade?  If so, then follow me on this.   Consumer Reports in March 2008 cited the HOOVER brand as a "best seller."  I quoted it here.  Matt responded saying that he thought NPD says Bissell, Dirt Devil, and Eureka outsell HOOVER.  He said he would post the actual units.  He hasn't yet.

My sense is all these 4 brands: HOOVER, DD, BISSELL, and EUREKA vie for the most vacuums sold year over year.   Generally, there are about 20-22 MILLION new vacuums sold each year.  [Just vacuums.  No sticks, handcleaners, robots and other floorcare products like floor washers and rug cleaners].  According to Matt and NPD, the dyson brand has about 9-10 percent of that amount each year now.  The HOOVER brand is probably somewhere in the range of 30-40 percent with the other 3 brands close behind HOOVER.   Why such a large range for HOOVER?  In large part because of the turbulence caused by the uncertainty of the Whirpool/Maytag buyout over the past 2 years and subsequent closure of the North Canton plant.

If you agree with the above it's not hard to figure out where dysons stand in relation to BISSEL and the other brands for units sold year over year.  The BISSELL Healthy Home has probably catapulted the brand onto the short list of best selling vacuums in 2006 and 2007.  Since BISSELL was not on the list for many years, lagging well behind Dirt Devil, HOOVER and Eureka for the top spots.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 3, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #22   May 3, 2008 3:05 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Dyson has 5 year warranty.  I fo not care for turbo tools.  Most vacuums do not have enough hose suction to make them function any better than straight suction (they bog down).  Rug height adjustment is not a problem for me.  Headlight is useless in my house because I have lamps and ceiling lights.  Headlight does not increase suction or brush performance.  A best buy is what is best for the user.

And just to add 3 more reasons for the BISSELL HH over a dyson:  Consumer Reports gives a better rating to the BISSELL HH over all the dyson uprights on the market save the DC17.  And the scores for the HH and DC17 are too close to differentiate.

The Rug Institute of America recommends the BISSELL brand.   

Good Houskeeping gives its seal of approval to the BISSELL Healthy Home.  

I know you kow towed the HH saying the rug cleaning/grooming on the dyson DC07 was superior.  I find that very hard to fathom.  The brush roll on the HEALTHY HOME is an identical copy of the HOOVER WT Supreme.  One of the best in the industry.  We all know the shortcomings of the DC07 and 14 brush rolls.  Probably the worse in the industry for a full size vacuum.  Even Mr. Dyson does and the reason he revamped the brush roll and nixed the clutch on all future upright models. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 3, 2008 by CarmineD
bucks03

Reply #23   May 3, 2008 3:47 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Dyson has 5 year warranty.  I fo not care for turbo tools.  Most vacuums do not have enough hose suction to make them function any better than straight suction (they bog down).  Rug height adjustment is not a problem for me.  Headlight is useless in my house because I have lamps and ceiling lights.  Headlight does not increase suction or brush performance.  A best buy is what is best for the user.

Vax has a 6 year warranty but I still do not see the appeal of them. 

If anyone wants a good quality vacuum cleaner go for a Sebo will way outlast its warranty.  A Dyson needs 5 year warranty due to its poor reliablity and this has been well documented in testing magazines and out national press, Dyson had to persuade they are good, the adverts showing their test robots bashing machines was part of this campaign.

Vax machines were known for the 3 in 1 machines, which don't seem to be anymore.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #24   May 3, 2008 6:52 pm
Hi Motorhead

Very true people that don't care for Dyson say they are bulky and heavy but there are other vacuums out there like you say that are bulker and heavier than a Dyson.  Also other vacuums can have like the Vax Mach range a load of switches that just confuse people and put them off or they don't ever use any of them!  Where as vacuums like Dyson, Sebo are simple to use.

Makes me wonder why they have offered a 6 year warranty on the Vax Mach range!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #25   May 6, 2008 6:43 pm
DC18 wrote:
DIB

I have not seen or heard any news that Dyson has or is loosing UK market share in the vacuum cleaner market.  One thing I will say any shop I go into what is on promenant display to all other brands - Dyson!  Plus they always carry the full range of dyson 9 times out of 10 where as other brands you only get a selection of the full range or one or two.  In the past Hoover and Electrolux used to be the main players on display, they are usually pushed to the back.

People I speak to still regard Dyson as a very good brand and vacuum cleaner to own.  I work friend of mine recently said they wouldn't have another Dyson to replace their DC05 but guess what they did (DC08 - last of a few still about!) and said it is brilliant.  Yes I did give them some advice on Dyson and also mentioned Sebo too.

I've not heard anyone recently mention his move of manufacturing to put them off the brand.  One thing I have heard and agree to a degree the machine quality is not the same as the UK built ones!  That aside people generally praise Dyson Vacuums but you always have that percentage that don't liek them full stop or have tried them in the past and don't get on with them but that is like anything in life!

DC18

DC,

I wanted to say thank you for responding to my questions.  It seems there is a wide variety of views of Dyson the man and product/s (reading the UK guys posting here).  Interesting.  Glad to hear Dysons are prominently displayed in your vacuum shops.  When you said “One thing I have heard and agree to a degree the machine quality is not the same as the UK built ones! “ - what do you mean?  I not sure I am understanding what it is you are saying.  Thanks again.        DIB

bucks03

Reply #26   May 7, 2008 6:55 am
DC18

I have to disagree on the bit where mentioned that quality  is not as good as the british built models.  This is so far from it.  The Malaysian built machines are much better than the british made ones and the electrical parts where always sourced from the Far East and the some of the plastic and rubber bits where sourced from Italy, Portugal and the UK.    Now all is made in the far east, Malaysia.  All the difference now is that the machines are assembled in the far east as opposed to the UK, thats the only difference.  The quality control maybe wasnt there at the beginning but the operations has been going on for some time now.

I have had a british made DC03 which has had to be in repair numerous times, also my neighbour had continuous problems with their DC01.  I have a Malaysian made DC04 and the handheld DC16 and DC05 which has been very reliable, only my DC05 motor burnt, but so has other models - I used it to vacuum builders dust and let it clog, but this  the same amount of failure as the british made machines,  any change would be because Dyson is cost cutting,  I have noticed they are using a lot more Polyproplene is their machines as opposed to the ABS as in older models, but what seemed to have happened with the ABS is that it became brittle after a few years and would just snap,  the newer plastic they use which is shiny steel colour is much better, it may feel cheaper but is better and more flexible.

People who disregards goods because they are made in Far East need to look around them because everything is made over there now.  Dysons were and I think still are, made by a company that also manufactures goods for Sony, LG and Hewlett Packard.

British made goods where never really that brillant anyway, like they say about french cars, but I will always have a french car just because I like them.  I think Dyson is trying to make its machine more reliable and I think it will get there.  I will always chose Dyson for vacuum cleaner,

DC18

Reply #27   May 10, 2008 9:31 am
Bucks03

I never said I totally agreed, just agree to a degree whre these people are coming from.  I have nothing against where products are manufacturered, where as some people do!  I have personally had no issues with either my UK or Malaysia built Dyson Machines.  In fact my DC01 is still running with no issues as is my DC07 and DC15.  I think what people see is the 'chunky' DC01 which was a best selling machine in the UK to the DC15, DC18 and the new $#%* and the plastic on the machines looks thinner in places and as you say is more flexible, some people see that as a sign it may break, or that the new material makes them look cheaper.   But in fact as i see it they are becoming more engineered to break new boundaries of technology!  As Dyson used to mention in their information leaflets the materials used, may be he needs to mention this again!  Stating the new improved materials he nows uses in his machines.

If I had a major issue with Dyson then I don't think I would be buying Dyson vacuums do you?  Plus I wouldn't own the few I have either!

DC18

This message was modified May 10, 2008 by DC18
DC18

Reply #28   May 10, 2008 9:38 am
Hi DIB

Your welcome.  Hope I have answered your question in the response to bucks03!   You do see and feel a difference from the DC01 upto the DC24 and DC25.  But as bucks03 pointed out Dyson is using a better more flexible material which may make the machines look cheaper but in fact are better made than previous models.  Unlike me some UK people don't like change where as I do especially if it's for the better!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #29   May 10, 2008 5:14 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hi DIB

Your welcome.  Hope I have answered your question in the response to bucks03!   You do see and feel a difference from the DC01 upto the DC24 and DC25.  But as bucks03 pointed out Dyson is using a better more flexible material which may make the machines look cheaper but in fact are better made than previous models.  Unlike me some UK people don't like change where as I do especially if it's for the better!

DC18

Thanks DC, I understand now.  You made me laugh at the "some UK people don't like change".  This is true anywhere, I guess.  But over there, history, past, tradition is stronger (I believe) than here.  People scoff when something new is used, only to pick up on the idea later.  I remember seeing a friend with Velcro straps on his tennis shoes instead of laces.  We thought he was nuts.  He got em in Italy.  Velcro straps became popular here a year later.        DIB

Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42