Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Vax Mach Series Upright Range

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

Vax Mach Series Upright Range
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 12:01 pm
I knew that Vax UK (which we all know is now part of the TTI conglomerate) had been rebadging Hoover Mach series dual-cyclone uprights, however, paying a visit to their site yesterday I noticed that the design has been slightly modified, for the better I have to say.  Check out the familiar-looking shroud in the bin that was taken directly from the Dirt Devil Spinnergy.  You could say Hoover has invented the Fantom, let's hope that Hoover is just as successful

While I don't think the Hoover Fusion/Maytag Legacy/Mach series machines with the vertically perforated shroud are bad machines, they cannot handle large amounts of fine dust well (the pre-motor filter will get dirty quite fast), and pet hair has a problem sticking to the shroud since the air is pulled in vertically vs. horizontally.  CR reviewed the Fusion a year or two ago and their main complaint was high dust emissions.  Apparently this shroud improvement has already been implemented in the new Hoover Mach 3 at Wal-Mart (blue with yellow touch-points).  It wouldn't surprise me if these machines eventually become top sellers in their price range...any customer who does not or cannot shell out $500 or so for a Dyson will have a good dual-cyclone machine for a fraction of that.  "Is that a new Hoover?"  "No, that's just an old Fantom, from 10 years ago, remember?"

-MH
This message was modified Apr 29, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Vax Mach Series Upright Range
Reply #10   Apr 30, 2008 7:37 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Did you notice if the FUSION-s @ WM and HSN had the "no suction loss" stickers?  

Carmine D. 

Carmine,

You know the answer.        DIB

From Walmart’s Fusion page...

·  Disclaimer: Suction stays constant for up to 10 ounces of dirt, as tested by an independent laboratory by using ASTM F558 test method and a dirt composition comprised of 70% mineral dust, 20% cellulose dust and 10% fibrous material.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3922205

CarmineD

Reply #11   Apr 30, 2008 7:48 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

You know the answer.        DIB

From Walmart’s Fusion page...

·  Disclaimer: Suction stays constant for up to 10 ounces of dirt, as tested by an independent laboratory by using ASTM F558 test method and a dirt composition comprised of 70% mineral dust, 20% cellulose dust and 10% fibrous material.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3922205

DIB:

No I didn't know the answer, hence my question.  The Fusion was made initially for Wal*Mart as an exclusive and Fusion Plus for Sam's Club.  HOOVER was taken to task for the claim: Doesn't lose suction.  Even with the disclaimer [in very small print almost negligible to the consumer].  Admitting that the claim, even with the disclaimer, could be construed as "deceptive and misleading" HOOVER agreed to remove the claim from the product, product literature and carton as of certain agreed upon date.  Of course, now discontinued, except apparently for some old stock, it's a moot point.

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #12   May 2, 2008 5:20 pm
I believe Hoover Uk or Hoover Europe of which I believe it's more known as is no part of Hoover US so I've been told in the pass.  They are totally separate!  Correct me if I'm wrong.  As M00seUK says the Hoover brand in the UK is not as highly regarded as it once was mainly due tot he 'free flights' campaign that went wrong!!  In fact Hoover in the UK has not really brought us anything worth shouting about.  The Purepower range that came out in the late 90's is still about today, in fact that is the main upright line up!  One of the best machines Hoover did in the UK in the 80's was the turbopower/master range which was very popular!

As for the Mach upright series from Vax UK (re badged Hoover US models) one thing I will say about them is they are very bulky and very heavy to lift! Is that not one thing people go on about with Dyson!?  When you compare this range (Mach) to the other vax uprights they are bulky and heavy!  And another thing that will put UK people off as well is the amount of 'fiddley' switches and buttons these models have!

DC18

HARDSELL

Reply #13   May 2, 2008 5:29 pm
Wal Mart sells a $60 Bagless Bissell that is better than the over $100 Fusion was.
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #14   May 2, 2008 5:34 pm
DIB

I have not seen or heard any news that Dyson has or is loosing UK market share in the vacuum cleaner market.  One thing I will say any shop I go into what is on promenant display to all other brands - Dyson!  Plus they always carry the full range of dyson 9 times out of 10 where as other brands you only get a selection of the full range or one or two.  In the past Hoover and Electrolux used to be the main players on display, they are usually pushed to the back.

People I speak to still regard Dyson as a very good brand and vacuum cleaner to own.  I work friend of mine recently said they wouldn't have another Dyson to replace their DC05 but guess what they did (DC08 - last of a few still about!) and said it is brilliant.  Yes I did give them some advice on Dyson and also mentioned Sebo too.

I've not heard anyone recently mention his move of manufacturing to put them off the brand.  One thing I have heard and agree to a degree the machine quality is not the same as the UK built ones!  That aside people generally praise Dyson Vacuums but you always have that percentage that don't liek them full stop or have tried them in the past and don't get on with them but that is like anything in life!

DC18

Motorhead

Reply #15   May 2, 2008 11:31 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Wal Mart sells a $60 Bagless Bissell that is better than the over $100 Fusion was.

Hi Hardsell,

Which model is this?  The only true cyclonic Bissells I know of besides the flagship HealthyHome are the dual-cyclone Velocity and Total Floors Velocity, $130 and $140 respectively (and which to my knowledge were never sold at WM).  The rest, as far as I know, are the godawful filtered types.

I'll be checking out Wal-Mart to see if the improved Hoover Mach 3 with the *proper* shroud has hit the shelves.  I may be tempted to pick one up.

Hi DC18,

Isn't that funny that those who do not care for Dysons constantly complain about their weight?  From what I've found a full-sized Dyson (DC07, 14, 15 ,17) is certainly no heavier or bulkier than any other $200+ upright with on-board tools; I'm even going to say there are many other machines that weigh twice as much...take those Panasonic bagless monstrosities for instance.  In regards to sales figures, Dyson shows no sign of letting up in the US either; I've heard so much to the contrary that I haven't been able to find an ounce of evidence on.  I'm just dismissing anything said about any drop in Dyson sales as drivel at this point, we all know how popular they are and will continue to be.

-MH
This message was modified May 2, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #16   May 3, 2008 7:44 am
Motorhead wrote:
  In regards to sales figures, Dyson shows no sign of letting up in the US either; I've heard so much to the contrary that I haven't been able to find an ounce of evidence on.  I'm just dismissing anything said about any drop in Dyson sales as drivel at this point, we all know how popular they are and will continue to be.

-MH

As I recall you stated here on this Forum that  US sales in 2007

were 4 million dyson units. 

Where did your sales figures come from?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #17   May 3, 2008 8:28 am
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Hardsell,

Which model is this?  The only true cyclonic Bissells I know of besides the flagship HealthyHome are the dual-cyclone Velocity and Total Floors Velocity, $130 and $140 respectively (and which to my knowledge were never sold at WM).  The rest, as far as I know, are the godawful filtered types.

I'll be checking out Wal-Mart to see if the improved Hoover Mach 3 with the *proper* shroud has hit the shelves.  I may be tempted to pick one up.

Hi DC18,

Isn't that funny that those who do not care for Dysons constantly complain about their weight?  From what I've found a full-sized Dyson (DC07, 14, 15 ,17) is certainly no heavier or bulkier than any other $200+ upright with on-board tools; I'm even going to say there are many other machines that weigh twice as much...take those Panasonic bagless monstrosities for instance.  In regards to sales figures, Dyson shows no sign of letting up in the US either; I've heard so much to the contrary that I haven't been able to find an ounce of evidence on.  I'm just dismissing anything said about any drop in Dyson sales as drivel at this point, we all know how popular they are and will continue to be.

-MH

Bissell PowerForce Turbo Bagless Upright Vacuum is now $68.76.  It rates 4+ stars on Wal Mart site.

Several report that it replaced their Hoover and performs better.  Also reports of out performing the Orecks that were replaced with this cheapo.

CarmineD

Reply #18   May 3, 2008 8:31 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Bissell PowerForce Turbo Bagless Upright Vacuum is now $68.76.  It rates 4+ stars on Wal Mart site.

Several report that it replaced their Hoover and performs better.  Also reports of out performing the Orecks that were replaced with this cheapo.

You're a humorist HS.  By far, the best performing BISSELL upright on the market today is the Healthy Home.  And it is giving dyson a run for its money at the big box retailers.  Now the BISSELL HH comes with a 5 year warranty just like dysons but for half the price. 

With the 5 year warranty and the BISSELL HH-s brush roll, turbo tool on board, rug height adjustment, headlight, and price, it is a much better buy than any of the full size dyson uprights on the market today.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 3, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #19   May 3, 2008 9:09 am
CarmineD wrote:
You're a humorist HS.  By far, the best performing BISSELL upright on the market today is the Healthy Home.  And it is giving dyson a run for its money at the big box retailers.  Now the BISSELL HH comes with a 5 year warranty just like dysons but for half the price. 

With the 5 year warranty and the BISSELL HH-s brush roll, turbo tool on board, rug height adjustment, headlight, and price, it is a much better buy than any of the full size dyson uprights on the market today.

Carmine D.

I was comparing the Bissell with a $100 + Hoover.  Where did I say that this was Bissell's best.  Try to follow me and get your mind off the LV babes.

I owned botgh the Dyson and the HH.  Kept the Dyson 3 years and the HH less than 30 days.  Can you guess which performed best in my home?

At the present time price is likely more important to most consumers than the performance, hence the HH is a good seller.  Do you have evidence that the HH has out sold Dyson?  I doubt it.

Dyson has 5 year warranty.  I fo not care for turbo tools.  Most vacuums do not have enough hose suction to make them function any better than straight suction (they bog down).  Rug height adjustment is not a problem for me.  Headlight is useless in my house because I have lamps and ceiling lights.  Headlight does not increase suction or brush performance.  A best buy is what is best for the user.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42