Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson financial results

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson financial results
Original Message   Nov 4, 2007 7:18 am
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/04/cndyson104.xml

Results on year to December 2006 :-
  • Profits up 19 per cent to £115m
  • Sales up 9 per cent to £514.7m
  • R&D spend increased, up £20m to £70m
Replies: 23 - 32 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Dyson financial results
Reply #23   Mar 28, 2008 6:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Well, HARDSELL based on my previous post let's recalculate dyson's net profit per vacuum based on an average wholesale cost per dyson to the retailer of $250.  Now the units sold at wholesale based on $1B of annual sales is 4 million units.  Doing the math, dyson nets $16 profit per new dyson sold.  Retailers are probably doing better with $250 gross profit before overhead and operating expenses. 

Any comments, observations, conclusions?

Carmine D.

Based on your calculation you may be correct.  Problem is, we do not know the accuracy of your calculation.  Most likely it is not correct as usual.

Botom line is that I told you years ago that box sales are not as important as profits.  Even $32 profit is better than the losses suffered by your beloved Hoover.  Dyson really has put the spurs to you and Hoover.

Ride em cowboy.

CarmineD

Reply #24   Mar 28, 2008 6:32 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Based on your calculation you may be correct.  Problem is, we do not know the accuracy of your calculation.  Most likely it is not correct as usual.

Your first instinct is right [I highlightedit for you].  Go with it.  No maybe about it. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #25   Mar 28, 2008 7:56 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Your first instinct is right [I highlightedit for you].  Go with it.  No maybe about it. 

Carmine D.

It was not an instect.  I simply said that your calculation would be correct if the data was correct.  You have said before that you have no hard facts so my instinct is that you are wrong.
CarmineD

Reply #26   Mar 29, 2008 7:43 am
HARDSELL wrote:
It was not an instect.  I simply said that your calculation would be correct if the data was correct.  You have said before that you have no hard facts so my instinct is that you are wrong.

Here are the facts per DIB's Forbe's article: 

Net dyson profit for 2007: $64 Million

Gross annual sales: $1B

Units sold at wholesale in the USA per NPD [and confirmed by a dyson insider here]: 2 million.  Probably 3-4 Million in total worldwide.  Matt [Airblade] said he had not seen the actual numbers yet.

Do the math for yourself.  What do you get?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 29, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #27   Mar 30, 2008 5:39 pm

James Dyson refinances and takes a £145m/$289m payout.  Here.

CarmineD

Reply #28   Mar 30, 2008 9:00 pm
DIB:

Interesting article, which is very short on details:

The payout of $289 Million is a debt on the dyson Balance Sheet [read decrease in Assets; decrease in Capital [Retained Earnings] and increase in Liabilities.  That's not good for the dyson company IMHO.  The payout is not from dyson profits on operations.  The payout represents 450 percent more than the company's net profit for 2007 [$64 Million]. 

It raises questions:  Why is Mr. Dyson borrowing money from the company?  Did Mr. Dyson pay himself any compensation for 2007 from company earnings [Income Statement]?  Or, did he borrow from the company's assets [Balance Sheet] for his 2007 compensation?  The latter is not the normal course of business for paying yourself.  Even if you own the business.   

Dyson did it before the new UK capital gains laws go in effect [April 1].  I don't know the specifics of the laws.  My suspicion, based solely on the exigency of the dyson's Board action, is that the new laws do the following: (1)  Preclude private company owners [like Dyson] from making such huge payouts from the assets of their companies as compensation [as does the USA]; and/or (2) Tax the amounts borrowed for compensation at much higher rates [as does the US to discourage the financial practice].  Possibly both.

A side bar:  The article states that dyson appliances captured 20 percent of the US market share in 2005 and 30 percent in 2007?  If appliances is another way of saying "vacuums,' how did it arrive at the percentages?  NPD, the authoritative industry source, as told by Airblade, says dyson share is 9.5- 10 percent.    Did Mr. Dyson take the payout in the form of dyson vacuums?  That would explain it!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 30, 2008 by CarmineD
Airblade

Reply #29   Mar 30, 2008 9:22 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Interesting article, which is very short on details:

The payout of $289 Million is a debt on the dyson Balance Sheet [read decrease in Assets; decrease in Capital [Retained Earnings] and increase in Liabilities.  That's not good for the dyson company IMHO.  The payout is not from dyson profits on operations.  The payout represents 450 percent more than the company's net profit for 2007 [$64 Million]. 

It raises questions:  Why is Mr. Dyson borrowing money from the company?  Did Mr. Dyson pay himself any compensation for 2007 from company earnings [Income Statement]?  Or, did he borrow from the company's assets [Balance Sheet] for his 2007 compensation?  The latter is not the normal course of business for paying yourself.  Even if you own the business.   

Dyson did it before the new UK capital gains laws go in effect [April 1].  I don't know the specifics of the laws.  My suspicion, based solely on the exigency of the dyson's Board action, is that the new laws do the following: (1)  Preclude private company owners [like Dyson] from making such huge payouts from the assets of their companies as compensation [as does the USA]; and/or (2) Tax the amounts borrowed for compensation at much higher rates [as does the US to discourage the financial practice].  Possibly both.

A side bar:  The article states that dyson appliances captured 20 percent of the US market share in 2005 and 30 percent in 2007?  If appliances is another way of saying "vacuums,' how did it arrive at the percentages?  NPD, the authoritative industry source, as told by Airblade, says dyson share is 9.5- 10 percent.    Did Mr. Dyson take the payout in the form of dyson vacuums?  That would explain it!

Carmine D.

Just a quick answer to your side bar..............Both numbers are correct.

9.5-10% is UNIT share

20-30% is DOLLAR share

DysonInventsBig

Reply #30   Mar 31, 2008 2:39 am

Carmine, the UK Capitol Gains Tax is increasing by 8% in a week or so.  Many are scrambling to avoid this tax.  Here.   Perhaps Dyson paid himself 2 years out.       DIB

CarmineD

Reply #31   Mar 31, 2008 7:33 am
Airblade wrote:
Just a quick answer to your side bar..............Both numbers are correct.

9.5-10% is UNIT share

20-30% is DOLLAR share

Thanks Airblade.  You're right.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #32   Mar 31, 2008 7:40 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmine, the UK Capitol Gains Tax is increasing by 8% in a week or so.  Many are scrambling to avoid this tax.  Here.   Perhaps Dyson paid himself 2 years out.       DIB

Thanks DIB:

You're right, and that's probably true.  Mr. Dyson paid himself now for the future...at the expense of adding debt [increasing Liabilities, decreasing Capital, and decreasing Assets] on dyson's balance sheet.  Smart and good move for him.   Good for dyson?  BAd for dyson?  Especially in the current and future economic conditions.  Good financial practice?  Or shakey? 

That payout [$289 Million] is 450 times dyson 2007 net profits [$64 Million].  It will take dyson, based on 2007 results of operations, 4.5 years to recoup Mr. Dyson's future compensation.  In business, that's a long time with alot of future uncertainty. 

The UK CGIT went from 10 percent to 18 percent.  Very low by US standards.  Does the increase warrant a future payout of 450 times 2007 net profit?  By adding substantial debt to the Balance Sheet?  Apparently, the dyson Board thought so and passed approval quickly.  To allow Mr. Dyson to avoid paying the higher income taxes to the UK.  Wonder what his UK house is assessed for property tax purposes?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 31, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 23 - 32 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42