Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Original Message   Mar 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Allergy Banner Alt

First upright from Miele

29 February 2008

This summer, Miele will launch its first range of upright vacuum cleaners – the S7.

It will consist of about six models, all of which feature ultra large dust bags and

“a unique swivel body, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in even the trickiest

of room layouts”. According to the company,  the decision was made following

numerous requests from customers that wanted to buy Miele  but would only use

an upright model.

Text: courtesy ERTweekly.com

Picture: courtesy Miele.co.uk, 2009

Edited 21st March 2009; reason: loss of original image.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2009 by Trilobite
Replies: 362 - 371 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The New Miele Upright Cleaner
Reply #362   Mar 21, 2009 9:03 am
CarmineD wrote:
Tho I must admit that I was intrigued with Senator Grassley's advice to the banking industry employees who made off with the huge taxpayer funded bonuses.  He said and I paraphrase:  Do what the Japanese do, come bow your heads, ask for forgiveness, then go commit suicide.  Perhaps the Japanese hold themselves to a higher ethical and moral standard than the USA business leaders.  I wonder if the Honorable Senator would say and expect the same [Japanese] standard for his peers in Congress?

Carmine D.

I understand the Hon. Senator has backed off.  Why?  Could it be that his cohorts Senators Dodd [Dem-Conn] and Reid [Dem-NV] snookered the US taxpayers by inserting the "AIG bonus clause" for 2008 in the Stimulus Bill at the 11th hour [Friday Feb 13] before passage?  Yes indeed.  [Sorry Mike for the non-vacuum point.  But maybe it applies here.  Before we indict, condemn, and set punishment, it behooves us to get the whole story].

Carmine D.

catlady

Update from today
Reply #363   Mar 21, 2009 2:55 pm
I dropped the vacuum off at the Vac Shop.  I explained why I was there and showed them the damage to the back of the vacuum.  They showed me the replacement hose and tested my tools on it and they fit.  Then then told me to fix the damage they would heat the plastic and smooth it out.  I told them that was unacceptable and that I wanted the back panel replaced.  They then said they do that all of the time and I won't even notice.  I still said no.  They then said that if they have to replace the back panel they will have to pay for it since they damaged the vacuum.  I told them that I paid a lot of money for that vacuum and I wanted it returned to the condition I bought it in.  They then told me that they will see what they can do.  I asked how long it would take and they said to replace the hose I can have it by Monday or Tuesday.  To replace the back panel it could be a couple of weeks because they will have to wait for the part to come in. 

I'm not very happy at all right now.
CarmineD

Reply #364   Mar 21, 2009 3:29 pm
Hello Melanie:

Why didn't you give them the opportunity to fix the broken plastic as they recommended.  Then, as a back up option, if the repair is not satisfactory to you and does not make you happy, insist on the new part replacement.  In the mean time you have your vacuum while you are waiting for the part to come in. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Re: Update from today
Reply #365   Mar 21, 2009 3:32 pm
catlady wrote:
I dropped the vacuum off at the Vac Shop.  I explained why I was there and showed them the damage to the back of the vacuum.  They showed me the replacement hose and tested my tools on it and they fit.  Then then told me to fix the damage they would heat the plastic and smooth it out.  I told them that was unacceptable and that I wanted the back panel replaced.  They then said they do that all of the time and I won't even notice.  I still said no.  They then said that if they have to replace the back panel they will have to pay for it since they damaged the vacuum.  I told them that I paid a lot of money for that vacuum and I wanted it returned to the condition I bought it in.  They then told me that they will see what they can do.  I asked how long it would take and they said to replace the hose I can have it by Monday or Tuesday.  To replace the back panel it could be a couple of weeks because they will have to wait for the part to come in.  <BR><BR>I'm not very happy at all right now.

Hi Melanie,

As I explained above, there was no need for the damage in the first place all they had to do was undo the cuff. Yes, they will have to pay to replace the back panel but they also have profited enough from the original sale of the cleaner plus will profit when you go back to them for bags and filters. They won't have to shut down business and move to the poor house any time soon. Maybe they'll put on their thinking caps next time.

Oh yeah -- just for your edification -- when opening the cover on the clean-out port at the back of the machine, be sure to turn each of the "screws" a quarter of a turn only. They stop after a quarter turn but it appears that some folks were under the impression that they screw all the way out. They are really latches and only require a quarter turn to allow you gently pry of the cover.

Best,

Venson
catlady

Reply #366   Mar 21, 2009 3:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Melanie:

Why didn't you give them the opportunity to fix the broken plastic as they recommended.  Then, as a back up option, if the repair is not satisfactory to you and does not make you happy, insist on the new part replacement.  In the mean time you have your vacuum while you are waiting for the part to come in. 

Carmine D.

I just don't feel that that type of repair is acceptable for what I paid for the vacuum.  If I wanted that type of repair I would have purchased another vacuum from Wal Mart.  Once the hose is replaced I will see if I can pick the vacuum up and keep it until the back panel comes in and then I will take it back to have the panel put on.
catlady

Update
Reply #367   Mar 21, 2009 4:35 pm
Hi Carmine,
Is heating and smoothing the plastic a normal repair done in Vac Shops where the plastic on a vacuum may be damaged? 
I think if my vacuum was older and not still under warranty I would allow them to do that type of work on the vacuum.  It just felt like that was an unacceptable repair for such an expensive and new machine.
dusty

Re: Update
Reply #368   Mar 21, 2009 5:35 pm
catlady wrote:

Is heating and smoothing the plastic a normal repair done in Vac Shops where the plastic on a vacuum may be damaged? 

Only for vacuum shops that don't know what they are doing and are trying to cover thier *ss.  If you took your new car in to the dealer to  have a stereo installed and they mangled the plastic in the dash would you allow them to try and melt it back into shape?

Dusty

CarmineD

Re: Update
Reply #369   Mar 21, 2009 7:00 pm
catlady wrote:
Hi Carmine,
I think if my vacuum was older and not still under warranty I would allow them to do that type of work on the vacuum.  It just felt like that was an unacceptable repair for such an expensive and new machine.
dusty wrote:
Only for vacuum shops that don't know what they are doing and are trying to cover thier *ss.  If you took your new car in to the dealer to  have a stereo installed and they mangled the plastic in the dash would you allow them to try and melt it back into shape?

Dusty

I've been out of the vacuum store business since 1992.  When I was in business for 4o plus years, I did many unconventional repairs and refurbs that were not "normal" for the period by industry standards.  I've talked about them here.  I repaired cloth bags when all others replaced them.  Why?  No one in the business had a heavy duty sewing machine and knew how to sew like I could to do the proper stitching. I often used leather to reinforce the weak spots on my repaired bags that made them last longer than the new ones.

When I moved into my new home in LV, after several weeks I noticed a hairline crack several inches long in our fiberglass walk in shower.  Just enough to allow water to leak out of the bottom basin onto the ceramic tile floor.  I called the builder and he sent out a 'craftsman' to inspect it.  I thought for sure it should/would be replaced with a brand new one.  But it wasn't.  In short order, this repairman WHO KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING sealed the crack.  It's impossible to see any repair.  In 2 1/2 years of usage every day, no problems.  He said it was as good if not better than new.  Told me he does these repairs on boats with cracks like these, and worse, all the time.  Guarantees the repair work just like it was new.

Like I said, your fall back position is a new part if you're not happy.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 21, 2009 by CarmineD
Trebor

Reply #370   Mar 21, 2009 7:22 pm
Hi Melanie!

I spoke with the local Miele dealer in Ft. Wayne. I have known him a long time and sent a lot of business his way, and I am responsible for several Miele sales a month through referrals. I asked him point blank what would he do if he were so incompetent as do damge a customer's Miele while repairing it under warranty.

"Replace it"

"The part you damaged?" 

"No, the entire vacuum." 

"What would your rep say?,"

"He would insist upon it"

"Would the rep have to bear the cost of replacement? /  Would you?"

"NO!"  / "Probably not, especially in this case BECAUSE: the prototypes are intended to be returned upon failure of any kind so Miele can see where improvements need to be made, including training personnel in the repair of the vacuums."" The techs at tech support have the discretion to authorize repairs in and beyond the warranty period up to and including COMPLETE AND TOTAL REPLACEMENT OF THE CUSTOMER'S VACUUM. But the rep can just as easily call tech support and say , "I am authorizing a replacement for  Ms. Catlady's vacuum, which is am S7 prototype. AND the vac shop can authorize an exchange with just an authorization # from the rep.

WE DO THIS KIND OF REPAIR ALL THE TIME? That statement says a lot and raises even more questions about the dealer's competence and integrity.

Why do they need to do repairs like this all the time? Can they not learn to repair them without causing damage? The local shop in Ft. Wayne I mentioned is on the verge of becoming a diamond dealer. He is not a hack or a wannabe. He said repeatedly that the number of Miele repairs and warrany issues is so miniscule that this should have been taken care of immediately.

Melanie, it is time for Catlady to unsheath her claws. Just call Miele and go the top. From this moment on, the delay and lack of resolution are on your shoulders. Stop p-u-s-s-y footing (sorry the censor bleeped the actual spelling) around. The vac shop and the Miele rep are no longer your concern. You had a good relationship with them until THEY damaged your product and you wanted them to make it right. I would have looked him in the eye when he whined, like some kid who had to pay out of his allowance for something he broke, and asked, "So what's your point? How is that my responsibility?"

There is something very fishy here. Is that vac shop really an authorized dealer? Has the rep lost other dealers? After losing a few dealers, the rep's integrity and credibility come into question. Miele is a sought after product. No Miele dealer or rep worth his or her salt is going to behave like this. Can you not see that they are priming you so when they finally "give in" and (sigh) absorb the cost of the new back housing, which in all likelihood they will not have to do, you will be "grateful" and walk out feeling like you "won"? You posts here reveal that you are a geniunely kind soul, willing to give people a second, and a third chance, and honey, they are playing you like a violin. How much time have you spent on this? What is minimum wage now? Are you getting anything close to that in compensation? I still say the right people don't know about this yet. That Miele dealer is "adjusting his fluid balance" in a public pond, and he needs to have his swimming privileges revoked as of yesterday.

You bought an expensive vacuum which your supposedly authotized dealer damaged performing a warranty repair, and now they want to give you more delay, more resistance? No. No. No. This is in no way your fault.  The dealer's lack of malicious intent is not an excuse. This whole line of discussion has moved into the realm of the surreal. No one is going to stand up for you, darlin' except you. Do it.

Trebor

This message was modified Mar 21, 2009 by Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #371   Mar 21, 2009 7:34 pm
Trebor wrote:

BECAUSE: the prototypes are intended to be returned upon failure of any kind so Miele can see where improvements need to be made, including training personnel in the repair of the vacuums.""  Trebor

One of the many reasons I never sold "test" models to customers even if they were insistent.  These are for display and demo only, not sale to the public. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 362 - 371 of 494Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42