Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Kirby Lovers feel free to comment

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
camelotshadow

Kirby Lovers feel free to comment
Original Message   Mar 19, 2008 2:22 pm
Wondering what the big diff is between the older 80's Kirbys like Heritage/Legens vs the G series in say construction, suction, sound

I know the g series is easier to push but sometimes I like the old heavy sturdier construction.

I hear the G5 has a kevlar fan & its purpleish which is nice too but also interested in the Heritage 2 or Legend...

Thanks

PS how much should you expect to spend for the older say Heritage 2 models?

This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by camelotshadow
Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Lucky1

Re: Kirby Lovers feel free to comment
Reply #15   Mar 20, 2008 12:12 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I do not agree, however, the WT will only clean for a few minutes before the filter is clogged.  That screen is even more difficult to clean on Hoovers.</p><p>My experience is that Hoover also has poor hose suction.

Got to agree with Hardsell on this one...Hoovers clog too easily and that screen is for the birds. The idea (according to the sales pitch) is to save you time and money by buying a bagless. You definitely spend more on filters than you would on bags.
camelotshadow

Reply #16   Mar 20, 2008 1:27 pm
Hoover Wind Tunnel is Amazing for maybe 5 minutes to 10 but that hepa is filled with every use. & suction goes way down with the smallest debris.

I literally am combing the hepa after each use as the pleats are coated with a powder. I don't know what it is

maybe cement dust from the concrete under the padding? but Ihave done this now for a few weeks & it never ends.

Thing is I'm glad its getting this stuff but the cleaning the filter is an awful mess. I do it outside & ity flies everywhere.

I suppose its really doing a great job of filtering so I am putting up with it but thought it would end & it still picks up things.

So it works well but is very limited time use & for me just a after vacuuming additional pain just to see the rugs still are a mess.

Maybe we are not meant to be filtering that highly but to think all that powder crap is around is not pleasant.

Reg vacs must just blow that crap out the exhaust containing just the large particles.

Maybe we should have air filters instead.

Did you see that Mielhe guy w his meter

Seems every vac but the miele is not good at capturing all the particles.

I lug that Hovver around for a few minutes just to have the fun of purging the filter of that dusty filth but I don';t have anything better to take care of it

but that windtunnel sucks amazing & the naps stands up better than anything I've used yet so I deal w it

Just

Reply #17   Mar 20, 2008 2:06 pm
If you are talking about the Meile videos on Youtube.  I have not seen them but have heard on another forum about them

Dog and Pony show--Gimicks.

He was holding his particle counter at the motor cooling vent.  

He had the outer bag open when measuring the particlees emitted by the Kirby. The outerbag is part of the filter system.

Most of what I have been reading just marks him off as over zellious.

This message was modified Mar 20, 2008 by Just
camelotshadow

Reply #18   Mar 20, 2008 4:04 pm
Thats the one & your right about the outer bag on the Kirby.

He did the rainbow & particle count went down then it went up again so perhaps water can only dissolve so much.

Guess the Miele is good but his test dpesn't prove the others are bad.

Just

Reply #19   Mar 20, 2008 4:31 pm
camelotshadow wrote:
Hoover Wind Tunnel is Amazing for maybe 5 minutes to 10 but that hepa is filled with every use. & suction goes way down with the smallest debris.

I literally am combing the hepa after each use as the pleats are coated with a powder. I don't know what it is

maybe cement dust from the concrete under the padding? but Ihave done this now for a few weeks & it never ends.

naps stands up better than anything I've used yet so I deal w it

Camelotshadow,

Is it possible the former occupants used capture to clean the carpet?

When I first moved into my house last  summer I was pulling piles of fine gray powder out of the carpet with my Kirby.  I mean bags full.  I couldn't figure out what it was until the guy from Service Master told me he thought it was capture that was deep in the pile of the carpet. 

I don't know much about capture, or how hard it is to suck up but this may be a possible explination to your powder mystery.

camelotshadow

Reply #20   Mar 20, 2008 4:53 pm
mole wrote:
Just the XXX, ran from 1937 to 1952, the longest production run for the company, The machines i look for are superJ's,olymipa1's, and early silverardos, stay away from rennys, epic 8000 are a great performer,L.E, ambassadors, epic 6500's sell well. I'm still looking for a hospital G,i have lots of blue and brown ones out there.The best kept secret with electrolux is their discovery,genesis,legacy,uprights along with the pro lux commercial machine machines. These machines will and have lasted over 25 years,with service in between,Another odd machine to play with lately is compacts,and tristars, I sold a lot of filterqueens,feedback always the same like kirbys [too hard to use].The machine is no good to you if you cant use it, i dont care how many cyclones it uses.

MOLE

What is the problem with Filte rQueen? I suspect the weird filters & the dumping of the cannister? I would suppose its upkeep not actual difficulty with operational use?

Still I might like one in my closet...

It seems all the luxes you look for have the same motor & maybe subtle differences. How can you tell a early Silverado from a late?

http://www.137.com/lux/luxlall.html

http://www.137.com/lux/luxfg.html

I think the one I had was the G in a silver color...Never seen the Hospital G

Cool

Venson

Reply #21   Mar 20, 2008 7:22 pm
Filter Queens are good vacuums in the sense that they filter well, clean well and had tight seals to help provide the fullest suction possible in almost any vulnerable spot.  They will also take you a long way between emptyings. However, except for old-fashioned housekeepers people in our "set it and forget it" modern world probably find them a bit of a deal to use.

The down side is that they are a bit heavy when loaded with tools, that you have to stop and remove the caster set if you want to clean stairs more easily, and that contained dust may be set airborne quite easily when emptying.  Same as with Rainbow, this not a vacuum I'd want to tote around when attempting to get at high spot while cleaning.  Placing fresh filter cones may be a bit of an annoyance to some as well.  The cones have three tabs that must be visible to be sure they are porperly seated when the motor unit is placed back on the dust container. 

Filter Queen now uses a single wand for power nozzle and tool use.  A telescopic wand would be more the ticket since, for economic's sake I guess, the curved wand set that was used for years has been abandoned in the basic package.  You now have to purchase them as an option.

Nonetheless, they were amazingly quiet even back in the day when quiet wasn't much of an essential in vacuum sales campaigns and were best in show regarding air filtration as well.  I have not owned any in the recent past and do not know if the new models are of the same quality as the older ones though they are similar in look.

Regards,

Venson

HARDSELL

Reply #22   Mar 20, 2008 7:44 pm
camelotshadow wrote:

Thing is I'm glad its getting this stuff but the cleaning the filter is an awful mess. I do it outside & ity flies everywhere.

I suppose its really doing a great job of filtering so I am putting up with it but thought it would end & it still picks up things.

So it works well but is very limited time use & for me just a after vacuuming additional pain just to see the rugs still are a mess.

Maybe we are not meant to be filtering that highly but to think all that powder crap is around is not pleasant.

Reg vacs must just blow that crap out the exhaust containing just the large particles.

Maybe we should have air filters instead.

Did you see that Mielhe guy w his meter

Seems every vac but the miele is not good at capturing all the particles.

I lug that Hovver around for a few minutes just to have the fun of purging the filter of that dusty filth but I don';t have anything better to take care of it

but that windtunnel sucks amazing & the naps stands up better than anything I've used yet so I deal w it

You sound like a candidate for a Dyson.  I used capture with no problem.  No loss of suction and no dust back in the room from the exhaust.
camelotshadow

Reply #23   Mar 20, 2008 10:57 pm
Just wrote:
Camelotshadow,

Is it possible the former occupants used capture to clean the carpet?

When I first moved into my house last  summer I was pulling piles of fine gray powder out of the carpet with my Kirby.  I mean bags full.  I couldn't figure out what it was until the guy from Service Master told me he thought it was capture that was deep in the pile of the carpet. 

I don't know much about capture, or how hard it is to suck up but this may be a possible explination to your powder mystery.

Interesting, I am concerned what the heck is in there. I can smell a sort of vinegar smell when wet. I'm thinking its not good!

I don't know what capture is? I was told there was a flood here before I moved in at one time & they let it dry. Could be fine particles of wool padding?

I used to sprinkle carpet fresh at one time but haven't in long time as its not good for the bird. Cockatiels make a powder but hard to think how a 3 ounce bird could make a pound a powder

This message was modified Mar 21, 2008 by camelotshadow
camelotshadow

Reply #24   Mar 20, 2008 11:04 pm
Thanks Venson,  I guess in these days it is a cermemony. Least you don';t have to empty the water a few times w each vac & then dry it...LOL

Older electrolux have no filters at all just the bag but I suppose if you got a microlined bag you'd be ok.

I really can use a cannister more than an upright.

My friend has a Dyson & is in love with it.

All I know is I'd like to be rid of the fine powder finally

Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42