Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Kirby Lovers feel free to comment

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
camelotshadow

Kirby Lovers feel free to comment
Original Message   Mar 19, 2008 2:22 pm
Wondering what the big diff is between the older 80's Kirbys like Heritage/Legens vs the G series in say construction, suction, sound

I know the g series is easier to push but sometimes I like the old heavy sturdier construction.

I hear the G5 has a kevlar fan & its purpleish which is nice too but also interested in the Heritage 2 or Legend...

Thanks

PS how much should you expect to spend for the older say Heritage 2 models?

This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by camelotshadow
Replies: 5 - 14 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Just

Re: Kirby Lovers feel free to comment
Reply #5   Mar 19, 2008 4:43 pm
mole wrote:
 My rebuilt ELECTROLUXES sell like crazy,still the best machines for rebuilding.

M0LE

Mole

What is your best selling most abundant Lux?  I still see some of the old XXX at the flea market.  They must have sold a million of those.  My Mom's friiend had a Super J back in the early 80's I always thought that was a sweet machine, and so quiet.

My sister's husband traded her Kirby for a gray plastic model in the early 90's.  I think she kept that only until the next Kirby dealer came through her town and it was gone. 

camelotshadow

Reply #6   Mar 19, 2008 4:45 pm
Just curious & thinking a kirby in a vac collection would be interesting. I know there are vac camps everywhere. I like the older looks as they really look like a royal, then kirby went about giving them there own flair. The body on the G is wider so it makes the head look smaller. I wish my royal would suck better as it moves like a dream. Both have open fans. Royal is metal & good to know some plastic is stronger. I don't like plastic though as it doesn't age as well. Just like I hate Mercedes putting plastic guide rails in the engines I am sort of a metal fan...I like the up & down writing better...

I like the deeper sound being loud is not a bad thing if it sounds good, its those shrill ones that whine as they glide & vibrate thats annoying. I would like disposable bags though & the olkder Kirbys are shake out. Guess theres alweays a trade with the advance in technology & I understand they are continually cutting corners to keep the profit margin high.

Guess I'm just feeling like a new old vac & trying to figure which one.

The Filter queen cannister is sure appealing too as I love the sound of the motors.

I'm still a bit old school when it comes to vacs...\

Shhhh we'll keep the Kirby in the closet...LOL

camelotshadow

Reply #7   Mar 19, 2008 4:51 pm
mole wrote:
Now your getting smart, i just got done overhauling a legend2, the small head  one.I will more than likely have g-6s,diamonds,ultimate g's, all ready to go by next week.

Have been looking to buy in bulk from kirby distributors,and other sources.Even a few dysons and mieles on the way.And if i can score an e series rainbow for under 50 bucks,i'll sell it for 200.00 with a 3 year motor warranty. My rebuilt ELECTROLUXES sell like crazy,still the best machines for rebuilding.

M0LE

A new fan of the rainbow myself but more fond of the older ones. New ones are brushless motors?

Can I put an entire D3C assemlbly into a D2 case? I'm pretty sure I can do the bottom but I'm thinking the top might not work..

Always had electrolux even the old metal tanks that look like something out of flash gordon.

Too bad I don't have that one any more

They are great long lived machines for regular vacuuming.

Just

Reply #8   Mar 19, 2008 4:55 pm
Actually the older Kirbys and Royals cleaned about the same.

I think what you will find is the brushrolls and the airbleeds on the nozzle that make the difference.   Kirby is known for their "Tripple Cushion Vibration system" much like Hoover's "Beats as it Sweeps as it cleans".  Kirby will seal to the carpet, then slightly lift it into the nozzle thus allowing airflow under the surface to pull dirt from the bottom up at the same time it is viberating the carpet to release all the debris.

Mole can probably update us on this, but  there are some brush rolls that can't be interchanged on the Kirbys and some that can.  This is also true I believe of the Royals.  if you get a stiffer brush it will do a better job of lifting the pile of the carpet. 

This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by Just
camelotshadow

Reply #9   Mar 19, 2008 5:02 pm
Thanks I think the Royal has a stiffer brush & the older square end with a reg belt not the new ribbed. I got the roller on 3 maybe I should put it on 2 as it was when I got it. I don't think the brushes are too worn down but bearings may be old. One of my Salvation Army finds the metal vac just stood out with its gleaming finish. Got to impress when its besides those beat up plastic vacs.

mole

Reply #10   Mar 19, 2008 5:04 pm
Just wrote:
Mole

What is your best selling most abundant Lux?  I still see some of the old XXX at the flea market.  They must have sold a million of those.  My Mom's friiend had a Super J back in the early 80's I always thought that was a sweet machine, and so quiet.

My sister's husband traded her Kirby for a gray plastic model in the early 90's.  I think she kept that only until the next Kirby dealer came through her town and it was gone. 

Just the XXX, ran from 1937 to 1952, the longest production run for the company, The machines i look for are superJ's,olymipa1's, and early silverardos, stay away from rennys, epic 8000 are a great performer,L.E, ambassadors, epic 6500's sell well. I'm still looking for a hospital G,i have lots of blue and brown ones out there.The best kept secret with electrolux is their discovery,genesis,legacy,uprights along with the pro lux commercial machine machines. These machines will and have lasted over 25 years,with service in between,Another odd machine to play with lately is compacts,and tristars, I sold a lot of filterqueens,feedback always the same like kirbys [too hard to use].The machine is no good to you if you cant use it, i dont care how many cyclones it uses.

MOLE

camelotshadow

Reply #11   Mar 19, 2008 5:10 pm
I got a Olympia & Silverado Deluxe as well as the 2200 All Salvation Army finds

I'm lthinking of selling the O for space...LOL

Has the PN4 power nozzle

I don't know what the old one I had was & we had one with that round thing on the back too

Darn wish I had them now.

I left it when I moved & it worked but didn;'t suck as well as the 2100 but now I;m thinking it probably was just a bad hose

Boy was I naive...

HARDSELL

Reply #12   Mar 19, 2008 8:11 pm
mole wrote:
The machine is no good to you if you cant use it, i dont care how many cyclones it uses.

MOLE

Surely you meant pleated filters.  We all know that anyone who can't use a Dyson is a moron.
mole

Reply #13   Mar 20, 2008 9:38 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Surely you meant pleated filters.  We all know that anyone who can't use a Dyson is a moron.

You know what H.S., I would agree with you the hoover windtunnel is a little more messier to empty than the dyson, But when both machines are running right the W.T will clean faster than the dyson.........

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #14   Mar 20, 2008 11:30 am
mole wrote:
You know what H.S., I would agree with you the hoover windtunnel is a little more messier to empty than the dyson, But when both machines are running right the W.T will clean faster than the dyson.........

MOLE

I do not agree, however, the WT will only clean for a few minutes before the filter is clogged.  That screen is even more difficult to clean on Hoovers.

My experience is that Hoover also has poor hose suction.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42