Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 178 - 187 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #178   Mar 1, 2008 7:01 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Once again, my name is not Tom, just as yours isn't Carmen Miranda

On a more serious note, there is in fact a difference between bojack and original manufacturer's parts.  First, the use and installation of non-genuine parts invalidates the Dyson limited 5-year warranty.  Second, imitation/bojack parts are just that, imitations, a copy of the original and an inferior one at that.  Why would someone choose non-genuine parts that cost more than the real thing?  As my local Dyson dealer/service center told me, it's because not everyone has the ability to get them...Dyson service centers are run with a standard of excellence that a "bojack" vac shop does not have to maintain.  They are free to rip off the consumer any way they can. 

Hope this clears things up,
-MH

So please tell us whats the difference between the bojack brush roll,and the oem brush roll[excuse me brushbar for a dc07].Does the oem one used caged bearings where the replacement only uses roller bearings,with the rubber shields?.How about the honeywell filters will they wreck the performance of the machine.The only thing i'll agree with you about is the huge price difference.How about a bojack cord protector will that void the warranty.Would you like a list of dealers who got out of dyson?.

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #179   Mar 1, 2008 7:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
My friend:

Thank you.  Let me clarify since this has confused you, Tom and Jim B or whoever they call themselves now.  Universal is the carpet maker which voids its warranty if dysons are used.  I can provide the location, Web Site and telephone number.  Mohawk is the brand name of the carpet and my brand for both carpet and flooring.  Universal supplies carpets to all major carpet brands including Mohawk.   

BTW, I did mention that RCWilley, the largest retailer of appliances, rugs, electronics, and furniture west of the Mississippi, provides HOOVER TEMPO vacuums with all rug and carpet sales over $1000.  RCWilley sells HOOVER, BISSELL, and dyson vacuums.  The sales staff in the rug and appliance departments advise customers against dyson vacuums when dysons will not work on the carpets it sells.  Dyson is the only brand vacuum it disclaims.

Carmine D. 

Please, no more.  Now I am really confused. 

A review of the RC Willey web site indicates that they are a distributor of low end goods.  Maybe you should have insisted on something better than builder grade carpet.

It is also strange that they disclaim one of their products, especially when it will not work on a product that they sell.

mole

Reply #180   Mar 1, 2008 7:11 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Please, no more.  Now I am really confused

?????????????????????????????????????????????????
CarmineD

Reply #181   Mar 2, 2008 6:57 am
Motorhead wrote:
Once again, my name is not Tom, just as yours isn't Carmen Miranda

On a more serious note, there is in fact a difference between bojack and original manufacturer's parts.  First, the use and installation of non-genuine parts invalidates the Dyson limited 5-year warranty.  Second, imitation/bojack parts are just that, imitations, a copy of the original and an inferior one at that.  Why would someone choose non-genuine parts that cost more than the real thing?  As my local Dyson dealer/service center told me, it's because not everyone has the ability to get them...Dyson service centers are run with a standard of excellence that a "bojack" vac shop does not have to maintain.  They are free to rip off the consumer any way they can. 

Hope this clears things up,
-MH

Sorry Tom, I mean ...........well you know.  

For the first 5 1/2 years dysons came with a 2 year warranty.  Aug 15, 2006 was the changeover.  The vast majority of all the existing 2 year warrantied dysons are now out of warranty.  In a several months they all will.  Dyson customers can and will choose replacement parts/genuine at their discretion.  Or choose not to repair and trade in.  Many do the latter.

Dyson big box retailers sell dyson replacement filters and have for years.  Dyson has not pulled its vacuums off the retailers' shelves for selling replacement filters [bojack as you say].  Why should independents [especially those who do not want to carry dysons] be compelled to use and sell genuine dyson parts?  They shouldn't especially if the replacement parts are as good if not better than OEM.  And less expensive.

My sense is dyson [who already sued and lost] wants all the replacement parts business and doesn't want to share the proceeds with dyson replacement parts suppliers.  This battle in the industry is as old as I am, if not older.  All the rest about high standards and warranties is smoke and mirrors.  As Mole said, many vacuum parts, replacement and original, are made by the same maker.  The difference is the brand name on the part and the higher cost for the name.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #182   Mar 2, 2008 7:18 am
HARDSELL wrote:

My opinion of the vacuums that  I returned have not changed.  What in the he** does that have to do with not currently owning a Dyson?  I sold the Dyson because I wanted to and because I couldThe Royal is a very good vacuum for carpets.  It fails on hard floors.  Dyson is still better for my use.

My Friend:

Your story is an enigma.  Generally people will sell the vacuums they don't like and keep the one they do.  To do the opposite is well..........backwards.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #183   Mar 2, 2008 7:22 am
Motorhead wrote:
It doesn't matter what Consumer Reports says, it doesn't matter what some vac shop owner says, it doesn't matter what the Carpet and Rug Institute says.  When it comes down to it, who are you going to believe if you are a consumer?  A vac shop owner, or your sister who owns the machine and brags about it nonstop?  As I always say, my 2 cents!

-MH

MH:

Just curious about this statement which you always make along with your dyson drivel. 

Do you accept and follow financial advice from friends and family?  Or do you go to the experts?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #184   Mar 2, 2008 7:44 am
Motorhead wrote:
Well, Orecks may be *used* in over a million hotel rooms daily, but that doesn't mean they actually clean anything...all the dirt is still there in the rugs waiting patiently for someone with a real vacuum cleaner to come along and remove it.  All the Oreck really is is a hair dryer, a bag, and a hairy stick.

Everyone who owns an Oreck has the same exact thing...dirty rugs that only look clean.

I really like one of the ORECK advertising claims:  "More Clean. Less Money."   Beats most of the others, like: Never clogs, never loses suction.  I forgot.  That was discontinued because the ASA ruled it was false after 36 consumers, ORECK and HOOVER protested it.

ORECK's must be accurate.  Why?  Dyson and consumers would sue.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #185   Mar 2, 2008 11:34 am
Hello M.H. why dont you tell about the dyson dc21 sales in CANADA,I would imagine by now you would have some staggering sales figures for us by now,Oh i'm sorry,due to company policy you cant publish negativity. I know that the stores and dealers are getting these machines back as fast as they sell them.

Dyson had better go after the japanese market,they are the only ones left that believe his bull,it must be all the pretty pictures.

I cant wait for the day when they get out of the floorcare industry,maybe by then he would have invented the laser toilet bowl cleaner.

Dont forget to check E-BAY out ,factory refubished dysons[already]. Its only been 2 years and they have reconed machines already,what does that tell me and the public,it must really be JUNK. But dyson dont care he can always unload his stuff on the japs...........

mole

DysonInventsBig

Reply #186   Mar 2, 2008 12:17 pm
mole wrote:
Hello M.H. why dont you tell about the dyson dc21 sales in CANADA,I would imagine by now you would have some staggering sales figures for us by now,Oh i'm sorry,due to company policy you cant publish negativity. I know that the stores and dealers are getting these machines back as fast as they sell them.

Dyson had better go after the japanese market,they are the only ones left that believe his bull,it must be all the pretty pictures.

I cant wait for the day when they get out of the floorcare industry,maybe by then he would have invented the laser toilet bowl cleaner.

Dont forget to check E-BAY out ,factory refubished dysons[already]. Its only been 2 years and they have reconed machines already,what does that tell me and the public,it must really be JUNK. But dyson dont care he can always unload his stuff on the japs...........

mole

Nothing is below you.

dusty

Reply #187   Mar 2, 2008 1:55 pm
mole wrote:

mole

Umm, not wanting to throw fuel on the fire here but just to offer another thought.  The DC21 and DC18 are our biggest (Dyson) sellers and we've yet to have one returned for any reason.  We ask our customers for feedback on all the product we sell and Dyson customers are generally the most pleased with their purchase.  Chalk it up to marketing or what have you, they are easy to sell and have a high satisfaction rate.  As for Dysons being junk because refurbs are on the market after only two years, if I used that criteria for all product I wouldn't have anything left to sell.  We constantly get refurb sheets from Eureka / Electrolux with machines that have only been out 6 months.  Same goes for most other brands.

Dusty
Replies: 178 - 187 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42