Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 166 - 175 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #166   Mar 1, 2008 6:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
On a scale from 1 to 10, 5 is below average.

When was the last time you heard a hotel or restaurant being rated 10 stars?  That's not how that system works, come on now.  5 stars is excellent.
HARDSELL

Reply #167   Mar 1, 2008 6:22 pm
Motorhead wrote:
When was the last time you heard a hotel or restaurant being rated 10 stars?  That's not how that system works, come on now.  5 stars is excellent.

How could 5 be below average?  It would depend on how many items are rated as a 5.

example:

10 items tested

5 are rated 5

2 are rated 7

1 is rated 2

2 are rated 3

5 is average

Of coures this does not fit into Carmine's deceitful thinking.

CarmineD

Reply #168   Mar 1, 2008 6:23 pm
mole wrote:
Carmine,do you really believe that the bojack parts are different from the oem parts,you know better they are the same pieces,

Heres a little inside info you, how come genuine kirby bags say made in proc on the bag with the genuine kirby trademark.......

mole

Hello Mole:

We know that in many instances the replacements are as good if not better than the genuine.  Why?  The vacuum parts makers and suppliers have to compete for the business.  How? With both price and quality.  You provided a good example, the Kirby bags.  In many cases, the makers for the genuine and replacement parts are the same.  Didn't Tom's signature dyson DC07 have a $59 panasonic motor for years?

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #169   Mar 1, 2008 6:34 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
In post # 135 you tried to lead this moron ot believe that 3000 homes in your community had carpet like yours.  Now you tell us that others hav echosen a different carpet.

There has never been any doubt that you lie to suit your argument.

My friend:

Thank you.  Let me clarify since this has confused you, Tom and Jim B or whoever they call themselves now.  Universal is the carpet maker which voids its warranty if dysons are used.  I can provide the location, Web Site and telephone number.  Mohawk is the brand name of the carpet and my brand for both carpet and flooring.  Universal supplies carpets to all major carpet brands including Mohawk.   

BTW, I did mention that RCWilley, the largest retailer of appliances, rugs, electronics, and furniture west of the Mississippi, provides HOOVER TEMPO vacuums with all rug and carpet sales over $1000.  RCWilley sells HOOVER, BISSELL, and dyson vacuums.  The sales staff in the rug and appliance departments advise customers against dyson vacuums when dysons will not work on the carpets it sells.  Dyson is the only brand vacuum it disclaims.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #170   Mar 1, 2008 6:36 pm
Motorhead wrote:

How is this rating system any different and/or better than Consumer Reports, Tom?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #171   Mar 1, 2008 6:39 pm
Yes Gasko's dc07 had the retail 59.95 panasonic derived motor,of course his had the reverse rotation because he used it in the congo where the water flushes backward,and he could only get it to run on mondays and thursdays, He really never liked the way the machine worked,he just liked the pretty bannana yellow color.Was his called a signature series and considered a collectors item  because it was signed by the BRIT who talks like his false teeth had fallen out......

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #172   Mar 1, 2008 6:40 pm
Motorhead wrote:

Tom:

I know ORECK's clean over one million hotel and motel rooms a day.  How many does dyson clean?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #173   Mar 1, 2008 6:42 pm
mole wrote:
Yes Gasko's dc07 had the retail 59.95 panasonic derived motor,of course his had the reverse rotation because he used it in the congo where the water flushes backward,and he could only get it to run on mondays and thursdays, He really never liked the way the machine worked,he just liked the pretty bannana yellow color.Was his called a signature series and considered a collectors item  because it was signed by the BRIT who talks like his false teeth had fallen out......

MOLE

I think the yellow color indicated it was a "lemon." 

Carmine D.

Motorhead

Reply #174   Mar 1, 2008 6:44 pm
Once again, my name is not Tom, just as yours isn't Carmen Miranda

On a more serious note, there is in fact a difference between bojack and original manufacturer's parts.  First, the use and installation of non-genuine parts invalidates the Dyson limited 5-year warranty.  Second, imitation/bojack parts are just that, imitations, a copy of the original and an inferior one at that.  Why would someone choose non-genuine parts that cost more than the real thing?  As my local Dyson dealer/service center told me, it's because not everyone has the ability to get them...Dyson service centers are run with a standard of excellence that a "bojack" vac shop does not have to maintain.  They are free to rip off the consumer any way they can. 

Hope this clears things up,
-MH
This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by Motorhead
HARDSELL

Reply #175   Mar 1, 2008 6:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Tom:

I know ORECK's clean over one million hotel and motel rooms a day.  How many does dyson clean?

Carmine D.

Not sure about quantity.  What I do know is:

Oreck is only run in the rooms daily.

Dysons clean them daily.

Replies: 166 - 175 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42