Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 151 - 160 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #151   Mar 1, 2008 9:12 am
CarmineD wrote:
My friend:

I'm more interested in the above average consumers!   Average consumers settle for mediocrity.  Perhaps the reason they like dysons.

Carmine D.

With all  the time that you spend in WM how do you find an above average shopper?
HARDSELL

Reply #152   Mar 1, 2008 9:39 am
CarmineD wrote:
My good friend:

If you are afraid to write a review on the Royal Eminence, maybe you have courage to answer me this question.  As one who criticized the performance of the HOOVER WindTuinnel, HOOVER Fusion, Oreck XL21, and BISSELL Healthy Home, why would you sell the only vacuum that you ever praised as THE EXCELLENT ONE?  I can understand to buy the latest and greatest in the same brand, save that then why?  [I know it was a big mistake].

CArmine D.

Carmine,  I am neither a writer nor a reviewer.  I am simply a cosumer who hates deception and half truths.  If I choose to write a review I will  it wil be confined to the merits and faults of the vacuum as I see them.  I will not use it as an opportunity to bash other brands as you do.  Really does not take courage to participate here.  You just need tolerence and patience.

My opinion of the vacuums that  I returned have not changed.  What in the he** does that have to do with not currently owning a Dyson?  I sold the Dyson because I wanted to and because I could. BTW, I only said that I liked the DC07 better than the Bissell.  Only you would try to twist that into criticism.

Now the real reason is that I wanted to try other brands as I did prior to buying the Dyson.  I kept the Dyson simply because I felt that it outperformed the others (including those that I tried after buying the Dyson).  The latest is not always the greatest.  You should know that since you are a big H fan.   I would as soon have the DC07 as any of the latest Dysons.

The Royal is a very good vacuum for carpets.  It fails on hard floors.  Dyson is still better for my use.

mole

Reply #153   Mar 1, 2008 10:44 am
O.K. you asked for it.

dyr-7500 clutch upright dc04/14 dealer cost29.95. no belts.

dyr-6000 motor dc07-dc14, cost26.95.

dyr-1075 geared belt dc17 animal. cost 1.89.

dyr-2005 b-roll with out clutch system dc04/07/14. 11.50 cost.

So please explain to me again what makes dyson think  it's cleaners are worth the asking price.

These guy's are playing the public for SUCKERS.And we sell their parts................

MOLE     

Venson

Reply #154   Mar 1, 2008 2:26 pm
Hi Mole,

Thanks for supplying the pricing information.  Does Dyson dictate the price between vendor/repair person and the customer?

Thanks,

Venson

Motorhead

Reply #155   Mar 1, 2008 2:37 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Mole,

Thanks for supplying the pricing information.  Does Dyson dictate the price between vendor/repair person and the customer?

Thanks,

Venson

Hi Venson,

Mole is giving you pricing information for *bojack* Dyson parts.  Genuine Dyson parts are sold only to independent Dyson dealers.  Any part number that starts out DYR means Dyson Replacement or non-genuine Dyson parts.  For example, a genuine Dyson clutch costs $19.36 and has 2 belts included.  Mole is selling non-genuine parts, and yet if you think he's telling customers that the new clutch he put on their DC07 is bojack, you're mistaken.  The lies and jealousy among "industry insiders" is staggering.  Dyson does not supply retail prices to their independent service centers.  They do not even have suggested repair costs.  Independent Dyson dealers are free to set their own repair costs.  ESSCO had a line of bojack Dyson parts made up (in China of course) because Dyson will not sell genuine repair parts to wholesalers, only to *authorized* independent service centers.  I have heard this from a number of sources. 

I feel sorry for the customer who goes into Mole's repair shop and is told they are being sold genuine Dyson parts when they are not.

-MH
Motorhead

Reply #156   Mar 1, 2008 2:40 pm
Carmine, once again, Consumer Reports does not make one bit of difference.  No one will believe what the magazine says as opposed to what their friend who owns the machine says.  Consumer Reports is not a valid testing organization.  What they are is a communist front organization more suited for Red China than for the United States.  Despite the lies from CR, the DC07 is still enjoying enormous popularity due to simple word of mouth.  Again, if you are a consumer who needs a new vacuum, who are you going to believe, a magazine or your friend?

What all of this has proven to me is that no other manufacturer can buy Dyson's popularity for *any* amount of money, which is precisely what is killing Hoover (and caused the TTI buyout no less).  And also the reason a lot of people despise the Dyson and will do anything they can to bash it...
This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #157   Mar 1, 2008 3:51 pm
Motorhead wrote:

You also seem to take great delight in a scare tactic that I call lying to the consumer.  You have made reference to a clutch change in a Dyson costing $130 at a vacuum shop.  According to more than one Dyson dealer I've talked to, the wholesale (not retail) cost of the clutch assembly (including the 2 belts) is $19.36.  There are three screws involved in the replacement of the clutch.  Most vac shops do not realize that the clutch rarely needs to be replaced, but the belt from the clutch to the motor is replaceable and can be accomplished in less than 5 minutes.  To charge a customer $130 to replace a $19 part is exactly what's wrong with vacuum shops today.  They themselves are putting themselves out of business, and yet you take great delight in reporting it even though you claim to be a "champion" of the vac shop and an "industry insider".  It infuriates me when you repeat something that's not true, just to convince yourself and other people that it is. 
-MH

You mention the parts cost over the counter.  What are the parts including the labor to replace?  Several dyson posters [Jim B and Tom Gasko] both authorized dyson dealers, posted the $135 clutch replacement cost several years ago.  How much is it now?  Both bragged about their windfall profits from dyson sales and service.  The former saying dyson sales pay his mortgage, the latter saying dyson repairs will allow him a cushy retirement.  Are these fine gentlemen friends of yours? 

If dyson owners take their dysons to authorized vacuum repair stores, the prices for the repairs should be standard and policed by dyson to avoid fraud and abuse.  If the customers are overcharged, then dyson/authorized dealers are fault not ALL vacuum store independents. 

If customers take their dysons to non-authorized dyson dealers, then they have to accept the risks/rewards that go with their decisions.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #158   Mar 1, 2008 3:54 pm
Motorhead wrote:

As I always say, my 2 cents!

-MH

I responded to all your allegations. 

I will agree with you on one:  After all is said and done It was only worth 2 cents.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #159   Mar 1, 2008 3:57 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Venson,

Mole is giving you pricing information for *bojack* Dyson parts.  Genuine Dyson parts are sold only to independent Dyson dealers. 

What are the differences between the main line Chinese made dyson replacement parts and the malaysian [read south east China] genuine dyson parts save the name printed on the latter?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #160   Mar 1, 2008 4:02 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Carmine, once again, Consumer Reports does not make one bit of difference.  No one will believe what the magazine says as opposed to what their friend who owns the machine says.  Consumer Reports is not a valid testing organization.  What they are is a communist front organization more suited for Red China than for the United States.  Despite the lies from CR, the DC07 is still enjoying enormous popularity due to simple word of mouth.  Again, if you are a consumer who needs a new vacuum, who are you going to believe, a magazine or your friend?

Shades of Tom Gasko and his Communist Reports moniker for CR. 

BTW, the latest Consumer Reports edition is the annual auto magazine.  Did you get yours yet?  You mentioned that you are a subscriber and have been for a number of years.

Like I said, I believe the facts after receiving and reading all the input.  Including my dear sister who loves her 3 year old plus HOOVER Tempo.

Carmine D.

Replies: 151 - 160 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42