Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 143 - 152 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #143   Mar 1, 2008 7:34 am
Motorhead wrote:

...bagless upright vacuum ever made, the Eureka Whirlwind divided-cup upright.  Which, by the way, is not the first cyclonic machine (if you can even call it that; it really is only a single-cyclone machine with a clogging filter)...the Fantom company holds that distinction.  If you gave those horrid machines (and even that is understating it) away to your friends, you must not have cared for them.  That's like giving someone a Regina Housekeeper, or an Oreck.

-MH

Again, to correct you:  I said that the Eureka Whirlwind was the first UPRIGHT cyclonic vacuum to USE the moniker.  Go back and check my post.  Or do I have to find it and post it for you?

Wow, I'm tired already.  I'll get to the other points in due time. 

But would rather deal with CR and vacuum related issues.  Like why if the DC07 is the signature vacuum for dyson as you claim, and its best seller, it could never manage to get into the top tier of the CR ratings like the DC17?  Not even a respectable honorable mention? 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #144   Mar 1, 2008 8:40 am
CarmineD wrote:

Good man:

I don't believe you have ever said that in conjunction with an Oreck, HOOVER, BISSELL and any other brand save dyson.  However, as a gentleman, I will give you the benefit of the doubt rather than asking you to provide a link for proof.

Carmine D.

Tryin to twist again.  Actually your comment is senseless.

To say that there is no absolute best would be inclusive of all brands.  Now, if I had said that there is definitely an absolute worst then I may have included a couple of those you mention. 

CarmineD

Reply #145   Mar 1, 2008 8:55 am
HARDSELL wrote:
tryin to twist again.  Actually your comment is senseless.  To say that there is no absolute best would be inclusive of all brands.  Now, if I had said that there is definitely an absolute worst then I may have included a couple of those you mention. 

My good friend:

Factor in the price for the vacuum, and my vote would be for your fave brand as the worse of all. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #146   Mar 1, 2008 9:01 am
CarmineD wrote:
MH:

THis is an old [read out-of date] argument that a fine fellow Jim B made years ago on a now defunct Forum.  Long before dyson was raked over the coals for making false claims about "never clogs, never loses suction."  Both of which are no longer used by retailers.

Do you have any new arguments and/or endorsements to make for dyson performance and operation besides word of mouth? 

Carmine D.

The Dyson claims were meant for intelligent people, not an idiot who would try to use it as a leaf vacuum or some other off the wall use.  Desperate companies often go to any means to destroy competition.  They used such examples to say that the Dyson clogs. Sadly the law all too often sides with them.  Even sadder is an old has been who loves these scenarios try and support his hate for something that kicked his a$$.   Hoover should be required to post on their bagless machines.  "The filter screen on this vacuum will almost immediately clog with use resulting in poor performance". "You should have another vacuum to assist with cleaning the screen and pleated filter".

Word of mouth is about the best endorsement a product can receive.  Remember the old addage that people will talk about a bad product and seldom mention a good one.  The ones who have been shamed by Dyson do a lot of lying and bashing.  The average consumer has only the highest praise for Dyson. 

CarmineD

Reply #147   Mar 1, 2008 9:02 am
Motorhead wrote:

When it comes down to it, who are you going to believe if you are a consumer?  A vac shop owner, or your sister who owns the machine and brags about it nonstop?  That's what makes the Dyson different...people actually brag about it!  No one has ever sworn by their Hoover Tempo, though they might swear *at* it (as I have heard). 

-MH

I listen and read all the input:  Vacuum store owners, industry experts,  and professionals; consumers who rate HOOVER TEMPO the best upright;  Consumer Reports who rates it consistently in the top 10; and my dear sister who owns and uses a HOOVER TEMPO which I gifted to her over 3 years ago.  She loves it.  It is her only full size vacuum in a 3 story home.  I believe the facts, not hearsay [word of mouth as you say].

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #148   Mar 1, 2008 9:07 am
HARDSELL wrote:
 The average consumer has only the highest praise for Dyson. 

My friend:

I'm more interested in the above average consumers!   Average consumers settle for mediocrity.  Perhaps the reason they like dysons.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #149   Mar 1, 2008 9:08 am
CarmineD wrote:
I said the DC07 and DC14 "will be" discontinued.  NOT "is."  Why?  The clutch in part.  The weak brush roll.  And the undeniable fact that it was designed for European carpets not USA carpets.

Which reminds me.  The DC07 All Carpets, a Wal*Mart exclusive, WAS discontinued.  After a lackluster sales record with Wal*Mart.  It is the best of all the DC07 dysons IMHO.  Why?  No clutch issue on USA carpets.  Dyson made a fatal product error by discontinuing it.  At $359 and with a 5 year warranty it would have sold much better than the existing DC07 models on the market, all of which will be discontinued as the retailers sell out and clear out.

Carmine D.

Dyson is alive and well on WM site.  More 5 *'s than Hoover.

What do you smoke?

HARDSELL

Reply #150   Mar 1, 2008 9:10 am
CarmineD wrote:
I listen and read all the input:  Vacuum store owners, industry experts,  and professionals; consumers who rate HOOVER TEMPO the best upright;  Consumer Reports who rates it consistently in the top 10; and my dear sister who owns and uses a HOOVER TEMPO which I gifted to her over 3 years ago.  She loves it.  It is her only full size vacuum in a 3 story home.  I believe the facts, not hearsay [word of mouth as you say].

Carmine D.

You only listen to the facts that support your arguments.  Likewise, you only report those same types.
HARDSELL

Reply #151   Mar 1, 2008 9:12 am
CarmineD wrote:
My friend:

I'm more interested in the above average consumers!   Average consumers settle for mediocrity.  Perhaps the reason they like dysons.

Carmine D.

With all  the time that you spend in WM how do you find an above average shopper?
HARDSELL

Reply #152   Mar 1, 2008 9:39 am
CarmineD wrote:
My good friend:

If you are afraid to write a review on the Royal Eminence, maybe you have courage to answer me this question.  As one who criticized the performance of the HOOVER WindTuinnel, HOOVER Fusion, Oreck XL21, and BISSELL Healthy Home, why would you sell the only vacuum that you ever praised as THE EXCELLENT ONE?  I can understand to buy the latest and greatest in the same brand, save that then why?  [I know it was a big mistake].

CArmine D.

Carmine,  I am neither a writer nor a reviewer.  I am simply a cosumer who hates deception and half truths.  If I choose to write a review I will  it wil be confined to the merits and faults of the vacuum as I see them.  I will not use it as an opportunity to bash other brands as you do.  Really does not take courage to participate here.  You just need tolerence and patience.

My opinion of the vacuums that  I returned have not changed.  What in the he** does that have to do with not currently owning a Dyson?  I sold the Dyson because I wanted to and because I could. BTW, I only said that I liked the DC07 better than the Bissell.  Only you would try to twist that into criticism.

Now the real reason is that I wanted to try other brands as I did prior to buying the Dyson.  I kept the Dyson simply because I felt that it outperformed the others (including those that I tried after buying the Dyson).  The latest is not always the greatest.  You should know that since you are a big H fan.   I would as soon have the DC07 as any of the latest Dysons.

The Royal is a very good vacuum for carpets.  It fails on hard floors.  Dyson is still better for my use.

Replies: 143 - 152 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42