Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 121 - 130 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #121   Feb 26, 2008 9:28 am
HARDSELL wrote:

CR has a tendency to place price above performance.  Any intelligent person knows that value for the price does not mean best performance.  

Hello Good Friend:

Thought you might like to read what consumers think about the HOOVER EmPower.  Many of the other retailers' reviews are very similar.  Pretty good for a $89 performer that's been around for as long as your beloved dyson.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Hoover_U5262-900_Upright_Vacuum/display_~reviews

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #122   Feb 26, 2008 10:42 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Why not name them all?   We all know that Dyson is struck in your throat.  Whatever they did to you, get over it. Life must be miserable for you because you never got to sell the best.

BTW,  thanks for making Dyson the standard to beat.

CR has a tendency to place price above performance.  Any intelligent person knows that value for the price does not mean best performance.  If I need to remind you the Taurus would be the best auto in the world using your and CR's thinking.

Hardsell,

Could you elaborate on your comment that "CR has a tendency to place price above performance?"  I believe your comment is somewhat misleading.   I believe that CR is very careful to keep price out of the testing.  It is only in the commentary that CR mentions whether performance in their tests is in any way related to price. 

That said, there are limits to what is tested by CR.  They don't evaluate, for example, the quantity, quality, or usefulness of attachments.  They don't evaluate how easy/messy it is to empty the dirt container on bagless vacs.   They don't evaluate design features, with the exception of commenting on those that are absolutely terrible.  Eureka does not get any extra credit for the feather duster in its spin away vacuum.  Kirby doesn't get any credit for the shampooer and knife sharpening attachments.  Rainbow gets no credit for use as a mop, carpet cleaner, or air cleaner.   CR does not comment on the design of brush rolls.   CR does not comment on how nice the vacuum looks on display in your living room either.  CR does not test on every possible carpet type.

While you are correct that CR does not take into account every possible feature that might be important to individual users, the test results are valid and repeatable, and do not in any way take price into account. 
This message was modified Feb 27, 2008 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
HARDSELL

Reply #123   Feb 26, 2008 11:09 am
mole wrote:
So if your not in the vacuum business,like DIB,MOTORHEAD, why should anyone listen to you about the business,that you know nothing about.

Do you work for dysons marketing department? And if you do i feel bad for you...............

MOLE

I am in no way affiliated with the vacuum business.  I have no personal vendettas like the professionals that have have been so negatively affected by Dyson.  I am not biased because I have nothing to gain regardless of what happens in the industry.

All I can offer is honesty based on my experience with using various brands of vacuums.  One does not need to be a technical guru or repairman to know when something is performing.  If my clothes are not drying I know that something is wrong with my clothes dryer.  If my car stalls I know that something is wrong.

I know that a Corvette is faster than an Impala and yet I am not a car mechanic.

Your inability or refusal to answer my question certainly gives me reason not to believe you and others who have been asked the question.

Lucky1

Reply #124   Feb 26, 2008 11:19 am
mole wrote:
So if your not in the vacuum business,like DIB,MOTORHEAD, why should anyone listen to you about the business,that you know nothing about.</p><p>Do you work for dysons marketing department? And if you do i feel bad for you...............</p><p>MOLE

As a person who has both, Graphic Design/Marketing and Vacuum experience I disagree with you that you suggest Dyson has poor marketing. The visual design of their machines, packaging, sales material and advertising is some of the BEST in ANY company. I also feel it is THE primary reason it has done as well in the marketplace as it has.
mole

Reply #125   Feb 26, 2008 1:23 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I am in no way affiliated with the vacuum business.  I have no personal vendettas like the professionals that have have been so negatively affected by Dyson.  I am not biased because I have nothing to gain regardless of what happens in the industry.

All I can offer is honesty based on my experience with using various brands of vacuums.  One does not need to be a technical guru or repairman to know when something is performing.  If my clothes are not drying I know that something is wrong with my clothes dryer.  If my car stalls I know that something is wrong.

I know that a Corvette is faster than an Impala and yet I am not a car mechanic.

Your inability or refusal to answer my question certainly gives me reason not to believe you and others who have been asked the question.

I will make one more effort to answer your question,there are not many indy's left,the reason being is that these owners have no  BACKGROUND in the business.

In other words the carrott was dangeled in front of them by the COMPANY they chose to represent. After 2 or 3 years they found out that they only made money for the company,and they were left holding the bag[no pun].It seems like these companies get off by ruining people.

YOU CAN TAKE THAT AS THE TRUTH....

been there done that.NOW it's my turn..............

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #126   Feb 26, 2008 8:01 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
As a person who has both, Graphic Design/Marketing and Vacuum experience I disagree with you that you suggest Dyson has poor marketing. The visual design of their machines, packaging, sales material and advertising is some of the BEST in ANY company. I also feel it is THE primary reason it has done as well in the marketplace as it has.

Have you seen the latest dyson TV commercial?  I suspect it

aired here in LAs Vegas due to the VDTA.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #127   Feb 26, 2008 8:06 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
 I am not biased because I have nothing to gain regardless of what happens in the industry.

Well my good friend, if you believe that you are not biased

and have nothing to gain, I will say you are as wrong as you can be.

You bought the worse performing and rated dyson [DC07] at full price

with a 2 year warranty.  I'm sure you heard the old adage in the auto

industry that one should never buy a vehicle in the first year.  Why?

Takes time to work out the kinks and glitches.  Most here even dyson

fans kow tow the DC07 as the worse.  And the model is being discontinued.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 26, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #128   Feb 26, 2008 8:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Well my good friend, if you believe that you are not biased

and have nothing to gain, I will say you are as wrong as you can be.

You bought the worse performing and rated dyson [DC07] at full price

with a 2 year warranty.  I'm sure you heard the old adage in the auto

industry that one should never buy a vehicle in the first year.  Why?

Takes time to work out the kinks and glitches.  Most here even dyson

fans kow tow the DC07 as the worse.  And the model is being discontinued.

Carmine D.

You do not know the whole story.  I sold the DC07 after 3 years (big mistake).  I presently own the Royal and a Kirby Sentria.   The DC07 is still the best in my humble opinion.

I tried a DC14 and the 07 is defininitely a better vacuum.   I doubt the DC07 is being discontinued because of poor performance.  Just like in the auto industry, change is inevitable even if not for the better.

Now where is the bias or gain.  You had a bad experience with Dyson and I with other brands.  Please tell me why your problem is worse than mine or anyone else's.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Dyson put you and so many others down. 

HARDSELL

Reply #129   Feb 26, 2008 9:06 pm
mole wrote:
I will make one more effort to answer your question,there are not many indy's left,the reason being is that these owners have no  BACKGROUND in the business.

In other words the carrott was dangeled in front of them by the COMPANY they chose to represent. After 2 or 3 years they found out that they only made money for the company,and they were left holding the bag[no pun].It seems like these companies get off by ruining people.

YOU CAN TAKE THAT AS THE TRUTH....

been there done that.NOW it's my turn..............

MOLE

MOLE,  we agree on one thing.  Corporate America is out to screw all.

Now lets go back in time before Dyson.  My point is that those owners with the BACKGROUND as you say profited from repairs more than from sales.  Dyson was not invented, however there was no shortage of vacuum repairs to be made.  Now in more modern times we have Dyson and no indy has profited enough to stay in business solely on Dyson sales or repairs. 

You can't be referring to Dyson when you say the COMPANY because you have already established that the owners were ignorant of the business.  I wonder how many reading here are in this group.   I think 2 at least.  You pick them.

Did I tell you that I like Dyson?

CarmineD

Reply #130   Feb 27, 2008 7:00 am
Hello Good Friend:

I remind you again that after my experience with the dyson, my dear Wife and I attended a floor care session presented by our builder and the floor and rug sub contractor.  There were about 30 residents in attendance.  Some like me who bought and used dysons.  All complained pretty much with the same problem I had.  You know the rest.  But here it is again. We and all other home buyers are warned not to use dysons on our carpets.  Why?  Won't work. 

You know the reason.  There is no height adjustment on the dyson DC07.  And it has a weighted down rug nozzle head.  The combination of the two causes the the dyson to sink into many USA carpets.  Worse than being hard to push and pull over the carpet is the gawdawful ratcheting noise due to the clutch.  Which dyson discontinued on later models [and one of the reasons that the DC07 and DC14 are being discontinued].  Why? Not made for US rugs save low, smooth pile similiar to European rugs. 

That's why you are biased.  You presume that if one lone dyson is excellent in your particular application it must be for all.  It is not.  What do you have to gain?  Trying not to look like a total dummie when others, including seasoned professionals, and Consumer Reports and a major carpet manufacturer [which will not warranty its carpets with dyson vacuums] tell you why your dyson case is not representative of all.

Carmine D.

Replies: 121 - 130 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42