Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner
Original Message   Feb 24, 2008 9:57 am
Hello all,

I know this is a vac forum but does anyone recommend a good floor steamer?  I once borrowed a Eureka 300A upright steamer and enjoyed using it.  Thanks for the help!
Replies: 25 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner
Reply #25   Sep 20, 2009 1:33 pm
Venson wrote:
PSI has to do with steam output. Wattage ratings concern electrical draw. A steam cleaner with high output may do better at really grungy work but as well may be overkill if all you need it for is regular duty on floors.

The numbers game should be about how long the machine takes to heat the water it holds, how much water for steaming it will contain, how long it will produce steam and warranty time.

Venson

Here are the specs for the ORECK Steam-It.  In recent years, more mention is also being made of amps rather than watts.  I believe in part due to the concerns about energy consumption and usage. 

Carmine D.

Oreck Steam-It™ Specifications:
Weight with floor appliance9.4 lbs.
Weight without floor appliance8.1 lbs.
Warranty1 year.
Cord Length16 ft.
Included AccessoriesTwo washable microfiber towels, two bonnets, universal cleaning clips, and 6 attachments.
Water Pressure50 to 60 PSI.
Heat Up Time30 seconds.
ColorWhite and black with yellow accents.
Water Capacity1 Liter.

Mister_Bojack

Reply #26   Sep 20, 2009 2:18 pm
Venson wrote:

"Please note a good steam cleaner only produces steam when triggered and its steam rate is adjustable."

I wholeheartedly agree! I found such a steamer in clearance at a pawn shop. It's a Euro-Pro SC926.  I was extremely lucky in that everything seems to work well. The trigger control is actually an electric switch that activates a solenoid valve to release the steam.

Alas, most brands that have trigger control are expensive, so shop wisely.
This message was modified Sep 20, 2009 by Mister_Bojack
retardturtle1

Reply #27   Sep 20, 2009 4:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here are the specs for the ORECK Steam-It.  In recent years, more mention is also being made of amps rather than watts.  I believe in part due to the concerns about energy consumption and usage. 

Carmine D.

Oreck Steam-It™ Specifications:
Weight with floor appliance9.4 lbs.
Weight without floor appliance8.1 lbs.
Warranty1 year.
Cord Length16 ft.
Included AccessoriesTwo washable microfiber towels, two bonnets, universal cleaning clips, and 6 attachments.
Water Pressure50 to 60 PSI.
Heat Up Time30 seconds.
ColorWhite and black with yellow accents.
Water Capacity1 Liter.

HI CARMINE

I noticed that on the commercial it can be used to clean carpets.....cloth ect. any takes or views on this. and do you know anyting about the Oreck upright extractor.....looks pretty easy to manuver for multi-use.....i ask because i have never worked on one /either kind.....curious about how they perform.

turtle1 

CarmineD

Reply #28   Sep 21, 2009 6:54 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE

I noticed that on the commercial it can be used to clean carpets.....cloth ect. any takes or views on this. and do you know anyting about the Oreck upright extractor.....looks pretty easy to manuver for multi-use.....i ask because i have never worked on one /either kind.....curious about how they perform.

turtle1 

Hello 'turtle1'

I haven't bought and used the ORECK Steam-It yet.  Don't have any observations.  Getting old and don't have the umph to proceed to buy/use.  I'm still waiting for a call from ORECK when it's available.

I have seen the ORECK extractor, also called a 'power scrubber.'  Looks and sounds impressive.  Pricey at $499 tho usually sold with money off.  Claims that it extracts 95 percent leaving carpets drier. Only 17 pounds.  Puts me in mind of the Regina of years ago and may well be.  ORECK may have bought the rights when REGINA went belly up in the 80's.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #29   Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm
IN the UK we have Chinese built offerings and they're not very good on carpet. They all claim to shift stains out of carpets using just the microfibre cloth and then forced steam onto a plastic grid / carpet glider. Well, I bought one for my mum for her marble floors and vinyl in other parts of the house. It's brilliant on hard flooring. Useless on carpet though unless you're shifting wax and even then the original line stain can still be seen.
retardturtle1

Reply #30   Sep 24, 2009 4:59 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
IN the UK we have Chinese built offerings and they're not very good on carpet. They all claim to shift stains out of carpets using just the microfibre cloth and then forced steam onto a plastic grid / carpet glider. Well, I bought one for my mum for her marble floors and vinyl in other parts of the house. It's brilliant on hard flooring. Useless on carpet though unless you're shifting wax and even then the original line stain can still be seen.

OH,well....I kinda thought it woulda been a good idea to steam the stains  first to lossen /absorb up...before you begin shampooing....just a thought.

turtle1 

vacmanuk

Reply #31   Sep 25, 2009 7:46 pm
When I've steamed carpets it makes the shag pile very stiff and unworkable. Now if I was to further attach a bristle bar i.e. deep cleaning with suction applied and cleaning solution in theory it would remove the stain BUT I'd also be worried since the carpet fibres were steamed first as to what the machine is actually taking off; if the fibres are stiff there's every danger of the machine removing more of your carpet fibre than the actual stain.
Simonette

Reply #32   Sep 28, 2009 5:59 am
I am still researching. Gees. Oreck reviews are starting to appear on the web. Some people love them, while others are extremely disappointed. Three reviews are on Amazon. I did find two others; one believes it's outstanding and the other indicated it was given away. Even the best review points out a problem with the cloth staying on. I'm starting to think I need to spend a lot more to get my wish of dry, streak-free tile with sparkling grout. By the way, I did use my Floormate with plain distilled water. No streaks on the tile.
Simonette

Reply #33   Sep 28, 2009 6:05 am
I posted too quickly. I did write to Oreck last week. They indicated the water heats up to 212 and they were unaware of customer reviews.
CarmineD

Reply #34   Sep 28, 2009 6:57 am
Simonette wrote:
I am still researching. Gees. Oreck reviews are starting to appear on the web. Some people love them, while others are extremely disappointed. Three reviews are on Amazon. I did find two others; one believes it's outstanding and the other indicated it was given away. Even the best review points out a problem with the cloth staying on. I'm starting to think I need to spend a lot more to get my wish of dry, streak-free tile with sparkling grout. By the way, I did use my Floormate with plain distilled water. No streaks on the tile.

I added a water softener to my water system earlier this year and only use warm tap water with my HOOVER Floormate on the ceramic tiles.  Pleased with the results.

Carmine D.

Replies: 25 - 34 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42