Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 96 - 105 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #96   Feb 23, 2008 9:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Back again to you, Mole:

In your expert opinion, would you say that the replacement hoses you use on the dyson repairs are as good as, better than and/or worse than the original dyson hose?

My sense is the only official recourse dyson has if they dislike your attitude and practices concerning dyson, is to disenfranchise you as a dealer.   This has consequences for both parties: dyson and you.  I suspect it won't affect your business very much because you will still repair dysons since you have other avenues for parts than original dyson equipment.  On the other hand, dyson will lose a dealer who knows how to service dyson both in and out of warranty.  

Carmine D. 

What is your purpose in using Mole's response about the hose in all of your replies?  Your attempt at intimidation is useless and you can't answer my original question.  BTW for all the others.  My question has stumped Carmine for 3 years and now Mole is unable to answer.     

I hope that Dyson does not go under if Mole parts with them.  I remember how you pulled away from Hoover and 50 some years later they were out of business.

Is there a difference in servicing a vacuum in warranty vs out of warranty.  I think I cna answer my own question.  You have to be more honest with the manufacturer than with the comsumer.

HARDSELL

Reply #97   Feb 23, 2008 9:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Mole:

As I recall, Which? in the UK and Europe also reports that the majority of the problems with all the early dyson uprights stem from hose breakage.  I believe Which reports 25 percent of the dyson repairs are hose related.  Interesting since these models are less than 6 years old.  Probably the reason that retailers are scrubbing the DC07 and DC14 from the dyson line.  Future collectables. 

Carmine D.

You have reported for years that retailers were pulling Dyson off end caps and out of stores.  It never happened.  Any more ridiculous predictions.

Did you also predict that the Fusion and "Z" would be the demise of Dyson?  Who is still standing? 

A hint.  It ain't the hoover.

CarmineD

Reply #98   Feb 23, 2008 10:09 pm
Hello My Old Friend Hardsell:

The HOOVER Fusion, one of Wal*Mart's most popular sellers, and the FUSION Plus, one of Sam's Club best sellers, have been superceded [read redesigned] by the HOOVER Mach's which come in several models ranging in price from $100 to $160 and available at most retailers currently.  And selling quite well. 

The HOOVER Z, much too expensive for today's big box retail stores' venue, is an integral part of the HOOVER line up and available for sale from HOOVER stores and on-line.  The HOOVER Z has more patents pending than any other vacuums past and/or present: i.e, the digiTouch control pad for rug height adjustment, on/off, automatic hard surface cleaning, and diagnostic indicators; Z fold design; self-cleaning HEPA filter; no belts, bulbs, bags/filters to replace ever; and microban coating to prevent bacteria and mold.  To name some.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #99   Feb 23, 2008 10:12 pm
PS: the HOOVER Z also has a soft brush setting to avoid degrading sensitive carpeting.  Does the dyson DC17 have such a feature?

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #100   Feb 23, 2008 10:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello My Old Friend Hardsell:

The HOOVER Fusion, one of Wal*Mart's most popular sellers, and the FUSION Plus, one of Sam's Club best sellers, have been superceded [read redesigned] by the HOOVER Mach's which come in several models ranging in price from $100 to $160 and available at most retailers currently.  And selling quite well. 

The HOOVER Z, much too expensive for today's big box retail stores' venue, is an integral part of the HOOVER line up and available for sale from HOOVER stores and on-line.  The HOOVER Z has more patents pending than any other vacuums past and/or present: i.e, the digiTouch control pad for rug height adjustment, on/off, automatic hard surface cleaning, and diagnostic indicators; Z fold design; self-cleaning HEPA filter; no belts, bulbs, bags/filters to replace ever; and microban coating to prevent bacteria and mold.  To name some.

Carmine D.

The Fusion is a decent vacuum for the price.  Still can't match the Dyson DC07.

All those patents pending on a Vacuum that is selling at distress prices.  Why haven't you ever told us about that?

Motorhead

Reply #101   Feb 23, 2008 11:28 pm
It is worth noting that the sole reason the Z (and other long-since-discontinued Hoover models) still remains on the Hoover website is because TTI apparently has no interest in updating the pages.  I've noticed this with the Maytag page as well.
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #102   Feb 24, 2008 5:31 am
Just out of interest how many patent pendings does the Hoover Z actually have?

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #103   Feb 24, 2008 7:11 am
HARDSELL wrote:
The Fusion is a decent vacuum for the price.  Still can't match the Dyson DC07.

All those patents pending on a Vacuum that is selling at distress prices.  Why haven't you ever told us about that?

Hello Good Friend:

The shortcomings of the Z have been exhaustively discussed here.  Too heavy.  Too expensive for big box store sales venue.  Bad market and industry timing.  The Z was launched in the midst of the Whirlpool buy out of Maytag knowing full well that HOOVER would be spun off/sold off.  

The FUSION for $90-$120 filled the void left by the dyson DC07 when Wal*Mart scrubbed the line.  Sales for the FUSION exceeded expectations and had a successful 2 plus years run at Wal*Mart stores.  So well in fact that a similar model was made and sold by Sam's Stores as a FUSION Plus for $120-$130.  The HOOVER Mach models superceded the FUSION and are not only in Wal*Mart and Sam Club stores NOW but also other retailers.  Why?  FUSION paved the way with several years of successful sales. 

The dyson DC07 [both the All Carpet for $359 and the Original for $378] couldn't match the success of the sales of the FUSION and Mach in these stores' venues.  And like the HOOVER Z the All Carpet was sold at distressed prices by Wal*Mart stores and probably the dyson DC 07 ORIGINAL will be soon too.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #104   Feb 24, 2008 7:19 am
BTW, I personally thought the DC07 All Carpet was the best of the 07 dyson models.  Why?  No gawdawful ratcheting noise because it did not [the model is no longer made] have a clutch to stop the brushbar.  At $329 it was probably the best dyson value.  I could have bought one new in a box for $50 when Wal*Mart stores were selling them out.  I turned it down.  Probably a mistake.  It will be a desirable dyson collectable soon if not already. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #105   Feb 24, 2008 7:27 am
PS:  I have not seen dysons on end cap positions at retailers for months.  I presume dyson no longer wants to pay for the privilege to be displayed in the prime retail space.

Carmine D.

Replies: 96 - 105 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42