Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 77 - 86 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #77   Feb 21, 2008 9:09 pm
Hi Carmine,

For the record, my local Costco has not had a Dyson in stock for months.  They don't put out much. So far the Bissell Healthy Home and the bagged Hoover Wind Tunnel 2 are what they have.  No canisters are on display either though Costco online has a broader offering.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #78   Feb 22, 2008 7:37 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

For the record, my local Costco has not had a Dyson in stock for months.  They don't put out much. So far the Bissell Healthy Home and the bagged Hoover Wind Tunnel 2 are what they have.  No canisters are on display either though Costco online has a broader offering.

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

How about the iRobot line?  Does your local COSTCO carry it?  The latest and greatest 5th Generation iRobot?  I believe it's the model 500 Roomba. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 22, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #79   Feb 22, 2008 11:13 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Mole:

Is this the reason that retailers like COSTCO and HOME DEPOT never took on the the DC17 model in their stores and internet Web sites?

Have you heard a rumor that COSTCO plans to drop the dyson line after it sells out of its DC14 Exclusive?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,in my opinion costco, home cheapo , the buyers cant get the right deal from dyson,you and i both know that price is BIG, these stores only sell on price and price only. How many times have we said that high dollar vacuums and volume department stores are not the venue to sell this product,The honeymoon is over,and hopefully the strong indy's will tell dyson to stick it where the sun dont shine. And the only place left is E-BAY, and the dealers are destroying the prices,lot's of them sell at cost.Will dyson stop it,i dont think so,because the rest have tried and failed,this is where this market is going.........

MOLE

Venson

Reply #80   Feb 22, 2008 1:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

How about the iRobot line?  Does your local COSTCO carry it?  The latest and greatest 5th Generation iRobot?  I believe it's the model 500 Roomba. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I know Costco does offer the Roomba 550 online but I have not seen it at my local store.  Again, this is not unsual for my Costco.  It's always a little of this, a little bit of that.  Their vacuum display is more an after thought than an actual sales promoting effort.  What I did notice is that that Electrolux toy -- the little stick vac -- is there on sale for $79.99 which is $20 below what it's been pushed for the last year or so.  I'm waiting for the day they finally sell it for the $29.99 it should have been going for in the first place.

Forgot to mention that Costco also sells upper liine Bosch canister online but I have yet to see it at my store.  Are stock decisions a judgement call by way of management store to store? I can accept someone feeling that certain prodcut may not right for their neck of the woods but a lot of people who shop there are not aware of Costco's online accessibility and may be missing out on any number of things they buy if they knew Costco had them.  If you put out just a couple of vacuums to be seen and I walk in, look but don't like them I go elsewhere to buy thinking that's all they had.

I went the other day to look for a decent irong board but there were none.  Turns out they only order them for my store periodically instead of keeping them on hand.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Feb 22, 2008 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #81   Feb 22, 2008 2:20 pm
mole wrote:
... the strong indy's will tell dyson to stick it where the sun dont shine.

MOLE

Are you not a Dyson Dealer?  You talk as if you are insulated from Dyson's legal arm.

This message was modified Feb 22, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #82   Feb 22, 2008 5:48 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,in my opinion costco, home cheapo , the buyers cant get the right deal from dyson,you and i both know that price is BIG, these stores only sell on price and price only. How many times have we said that high dollar vacuums and volume department stores are not the venue to sell this product,The honeymoon is over,and hopefully the strong indy's will tell dyson to stick it where the sun dont shine. And the only place left is E-BAY, and the dealers are destroying the prices,lot's of them sell at cost.Will dyson stop it,i dont think so,because the rest have tried and failed,this is where this market is going.........

MOLE

Hello Mole:

You're right.  Ironically, COSTCO customers average a yearly income of $70,000 plus, the highest of all the price club store venues.  It was also one of the retailers, like Wal*Mart, that fared better than most during the holiday season and with January sales.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #83   Feb 22, 2008 5:53 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I know Costco does offer the Roomba 550 online but I have not seen it at my local store.  Again, this is not unsual for my Costco.  It's always a little of this, a little bit of that.  Their vacuum display is more an after thought than an actual sales promoting effort.  What I did notice is that that Electrolux toy -- the little stick vac -- is there on sale for $79.99 which is $20 below what it's been pushed for the last year or so.  I'm waiting for the day they finally sell it for the $29.99 it should have been going for in the first place.

Forgot to mention that Costco also sells upper liine Bosch canister online but I have yet to see it at my store.  Are stock decisions a judgement call by way of management store to store? I can accept someone feeling that certain prodcut may not right for their neck of the woods but a lot of people who shop there are not aware of Costco's online accessibility and may be missing out on any number of things they buy if they knew Costco had them.  If you put out just a couple of vacuums to be seen and I walk in, look but don't like them I go elsewhere to buy thinking that's all they had.

I went the other day to look for a decent irong board but there were none.  Turns out they only order them for my store periodically instead of keeping them on hand.

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

The COSTCO stores here in North Las Vegas have the full line of the iRobots and the newest 500.  Huge displays for the Roombas.  The Lux Pronto you mentioned and several others you mentioned.  The Bosch vacuums are not in the stores (YET) but available on line.  Dyson is not listed on the COSTCO Web site under vacuums and floorcare.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 22, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #84   Feb 22, 2008 6:56 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,The honeymoon is over,and hopefully the strong indy's will tell dyson to stick it where the sun dont shine.

MOLE

I told that to the HOOVER Branch Manager and Hoover sales rep [the Saltez brothers] in the late 50's when I threw both out of my store literally.  I was an authorized HOOVER sales and service dealer at the time for several years.  Those were the days when HOOVER reigned supreme.  Business was fine without new HOOVER's for several years.  I took in the Westinghouse line.  Then, a new HOOVER Branch Manager took over, Lou Ludivico, and he talked me back into carrying the HOOVER line and I soon became a warranty dealer for HOOVER.  And was for many years.  

The indys don't need the vacuum makers as much as the vacuum makers need the indys. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #85   Feb 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Multi-billionaires need two-faced bad mouthing authorized dealer/repair men?   Hardly!  Indies, aka (typically) small time Mom and Pops need to do what they do best, sell and fix vacuum cleaners.  Taking on billion dollar corporations openly and publicly is nothing short of reckless.        DIB

Motorhead

Reply #86   Feb 22, 2008 8:45 pm
mole wrote:
The honeymoon is over,and hopefully the strong indy's will tell dyson to stick it where the sun dont shine.

MOLE

Now there would have to be a reason for that to happen.  Does Dyson not treat its dealers well?  I am not in the business and have no idea so I'm hoping someone will give me some insight.  The Dyson dealers I have talked to have not had any complaints yet.

Even with the worst-case scenario of Dysons being supposedly "unreliable" (which they aren't), the independent would still be making quite a bit on repairs, would they not?
Replies: 77 - 86 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42