Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 5 - 14 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Lucky1

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #5   Feb 1, 2008 12:03 pm
CR buys some of it's test vacs from my old employers' stores and one was the Aero-blast. They really didn't like it either.

I believe the Callisto was to be rated, I personally love this vac and was wondering how it did? Was the Sebo Felix rated.
Venson

Reply #6   Feb 1, 2008 2:56 pm
Hi Mole,

Just speaking about Kenmore, the brand's top of the line canisters and uprights usually have deservingly meritted good ratings by way of performace and price.  They are not be all end all machinery but in consideration of higher priced niche vacuums and other cleaning inventions certainly hold their own.  If I am correct, performance and price are of high importance to CR.  My best example is Kirby, or at least the first that comes to mind.  CR does not deny its excellent rug cleaning ability or air filtration but has in past recommended that there are other vacuums that can deliver the same results for much, much less money.  It's not a great way to put it but like the Chevy, Kenmore vacs are the poor man's Cadillac -- of vacuums that is.

As for LG, I think they are trying hard but possibly failing in the American vacuum market.  I think the Progessive Bagless (the Iridium) is just great and as satisfactory as any of the Dyson canisters but don't get the feeling that my opinion is shared my many.  The new Premalite is nice on the eye and should clean well enough but I still hear talk about the wand/handle lock not being so hot.  A reduction in price closer to the $300 mark might make the public a little more hot to trot in regard to it.

Nonetheless, it is anticipated that Sears,known for providing just about everything, will always provide vacuums under its long-trusted Kenmore name. Sears in past had alliances with Whirlpool and Matsu$#%*a (both of which simultaneously produced vacuums under their own brand) which for such a commonplace venue produced some stellar product.  Product from each of those lines was totally different but obviously someone buying for Sears had enough on the ball either way to see to the the integrity of product that kept customers coming back for years and years.  This century I guess its simply LG's turn at bat even though I wonder if it can muster popularity for product it outsources.  It produces all sorts of appliances under its own name -- love my LG refrigerator and air conditioner too -- but I don't quitre get why it didn't do the same with vacuums for our market.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Feb 1, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #7   Feb 2, 2008 7:41 am
mole wrote:
Why do they always rate expensive uprights as not worth the money?.

MOLE

Mole:

My sense is that it is not just uprights but all expensive [read substantially higher prices than average].  Why?  In part, Consumer Reports feels its mission in part is to "save people money" while assisting them to make smart buying decisions.  How?  By comparing a $500 dyson to a $60 HOOVER and saying don't waste your money on the dyson, when a $60 HOOVER is better.  I'm not making this example up.  CR uses this example in writing to promote subscriptions and readers.  That example is straight from its advertising.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 2, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #8   Feb 2, 2008 9:57 am
Hi Venson,I respect your opinion, you know something about this business,I and other industry pro's feel that L.G.will put an end to sears big share of the canister and upright market.

No one can argue that the panasonic made KENMORE products were a good bang for the buck machine.

For your information,The other electrolux,[THE ONES LIVING ON THE LUX USA] COATAILS.

The backlash is starting to really catch up to them.And you and i both know this machine was rated very high in c.r.

FORGET ABOUT ALL THE HYPE AND DYNAMIC ADVERTISING, IT'S ABOUT TIME TO START MAKING PRODUCTS THAT GIVE THE CUSTOMER THEIR MONEYS WORTH,AGAIN......

I AM PERSONALLY GETTING REAL TIRED OF THIS JUNK BEING MADE TODAY.........

i'll take an old lux,kirby,f.q.even a royal anyday...................

MOLE

Lucky1

Reply #9   Feb 2, 2008 10:35 am
CR also lacks in informing the public of the repair rate of some machines. This stat would take the control out of their hands and rely on the repair shops input so I understand WHY they don't do it but even still it's a disservice. Those Eureka/Electrolux are burning up Hose and Wand contacts like crazy and those replacement hoses on the Oxygen aren't cheap, especially when compared to the purchase price. Customers are quite shocked when the bill comes in. Plus who can or wants to try breaking into one of these things.
mole

Reply #10   Feb 2, 2008 10:53 am
Quite true LUCKY1........
Vernon

Reply #11   Feb 2, 2008 11:10 am
mole wrote:

MOLE

Hi all,
Mole, I second your opinion.  This appears to be quite common today, whether it be vacuums, automobiles, furniture, appliances, even the level of customer service that is given today, just about everything is JUNK, even the so called "higher quality" products are a joke too!

I recently bought a Lindhaus Aria, it has been in the repair shop longer than it has been in my house, I'm very disappointed to say the least.

"take an old lux, kirby, f.q. even a royal anyday..." this is probably one of the most common sense statements I've heard in a long while.  I'll add to it, refurbish/rebuild them as well!

Vernon
Venson

Reply #12   Feb 2, 2008 12:31 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Venson,I respect your opinion, you know something about this business,I and other industry pro's feel that L.G.will put an end to sears big share of the canister and upright market.

No one can argue that the panasonic made KENMORE products were a good bang for the buck machine.

For your information,The other electrolux,[THE ONES LIVING ON THE LUX USA] COATAILS.

The backlash is starting to really catch up to them.And you and i both know this machine was rated very high in c.r.

FORGET ABOUT ALL THE HYPE AND DYNAMIC ADVERTISING, IT'S ABOUT TIME TO START MAKING PRODUCTS THAT GIVE THE CUSTOMER THEIR MONEYS WORTH,AGAIN......

MOLE

Hiya Mole,

Take a look! I finally got the quote thing figured out.  Anyway . . .

In recent times too many facets of business have relied upon buying up or relying on names to slap on flavor of the day product to make money off a dumbed-down public.  And that kind of business is all about nothing.  I in no way believe the American public is that dumb just beleagured with too many essential problems to argue.  Therefore, for the consumer, the least path of resistance becomes easy to follow when you've more important things on your mind than merely choosing a vacuum cleaner. 

When hit with endless hype by way of legendary name or cyclones or powers of levitation or germ zapping potential or whatever so-called convenience, it's easy to half-hear the story and half-think in regard to what you're about to buy.  How much do we think about price when the usual is to reach into pocket or purse and whip out a credit card.  That 500, 800 or 1,000 dollars is in no way considered peanuts but throw in the possibility of "easy payment" and there you go -- done deal. That has become a way of life here for many and, per constant reports of credit card debt, a big problem for many.  Even with the benefit of a credit card people have had to seriously come to grips with what they're buying and why.

If we in the U.S. continue to face the scary economic situation we're experiencing, something's got to give if the rent's going to stay paid up.  The "money for nothing" deal could soon be going out the window.  After all what is money that can be well-used elsewhere when spent on high-priced product that's less or no more effective than the same to be had at a lesser price? Waste.

I am not against "luxury" or, if you will, high-end items that bear high prices or those that can afford them.  It always feels a kind of nice to have something different, possibly a cut above the what's in the house next door.  Nonetheless, I am thoroughly against anything over-priced.  To me over-priced items are any high price tag products made without particular skill, quality or forethought. 

Here I'd ask anyone old enough to recall, if the pricing ratio on vacuums have remained the same.  Did the prices for Elecxtrolux G, Kirby, FQ, or Rainbow fall in as high proportion against the average weekly wage as they do know?  I remember as a kid that the brands like Hoover and Eureka, sold in department stores and small vendorships, usually charged a whopping $89.95 for a top-of-the-line model.  If the porportion of price is still the same now as then I have no particular argument yet I would question why the brands mentioned still turn up years later and are still capable of giving service.

I don't delight in seeing either people or industry learn things the hard way but as my grandad always said, "A hard head makes for a soft you-know-what."  I'm reconsidering my borrowed "just say no" attitude as there may not much chance for manufacturers or consumers to wrestle over acceptable product if in future it's no longer a matter of saying, "No," but saying, "Sorry, I can't afford it."

Best,

Venson

Venson

Reply #13   Feb 2, 2008 1:00 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Those Eureka/Electrolux are burning up Hose and Wand contacts like crazy and those replacement hoses on the Oxygen aren't cheap, especially when compared to the purchase price. Customers are quite shocked when the bill comes in. Plus who can or wants to try breaking into one of these things.

Hi Luck1,

Hose replacement cost is not just a problem with the brand mentioned.  Unfortunately, it may cost near half the price of the cleaner to replace an electrified hose on even a Kenmore canister.  Multiply the problem by the number of other brands that offer a bare minimum of consumer repairable components and the picture is ridiculous.  I'll spare you my rant. 

I had a problem with a Kenmore hose and only got around buying a complete new hose because I knew what I needed when I contacted the Sears parts department.  This should have led to an outcome better than most.  BUT the fly in the ointment was that though the parts department would very happily sell the part, it would not tell you how to install it.  Fortunately I managed on my own. 

Electrolux (Aerus) for a time made a very easely replacable attachement-end on its hoses but has also gave up on that.  Most other brands have fallen into the same practice of forcing the buyer to buy a complete component instead of parts especially in regard to electrified hoses -- most of which are outsourced in the first place.  This is just anothe way of squeezing more money out of consumrs and it won't stop until somebody starts kicking.

Venson

mole

Reply #14   Feb 3, 2008 2:32 pm
Hi Vernon,Venson,LUCKY1,and anyone else that knows this business,[Yes Carmine even you].

I would like to submit the following question.

1 If you are in charge of producing a cleaner,and cost  and quality is the most important factor,and of course staying in business is important,What type of cleaner would you build, and what price point would you chase.

2 Would you hire people to design,engineer it, give it a retro look?.

3 or buy a company thats already going and use the   same as it's always been approach......

Please think about what and where this industry has become before posting........

MOLE

Replies: 5 - 14 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42