Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 187 - 196 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
dusty

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #187   Mar 2, 2008 1:55 pm
mole wrote:
Hello M.H. why dont you tell about the dyson dc21 sales in CANADA,I would imagine by now you would have some staggering sales figures for us by now,Oh i'm sorry,due to company policy you cant publish negativity. I know that the stores and dealers are getting these machines back as fast as they sell them.

Dyson had better go after the japanese market,they are the only ones left that believe his bull,it must be all the pretty pictures.

I cant wait for the day when they get out of the floorcare industry,maybe by then he would have invented the laser toilet bowl cleaner.

Dont forget to check E-BAY out ,factory refubished dysons[already]. Its only been 2 years and they have reconed machines already,what does that tell me and the public,it must really be JUNK. But dyson dont care he can always unload his stuff on the japs...........

mole

Umm, not wanting to throw fuel on the fire here but just to offer another thought.  The DC21 and DC18 are our biggest (Dyson) sellers and we've yet to have one returned for any reason.  We ask our customers for feedback on all the product we sell and Dyson customers are generally the most pleased with their purchase.  Chalk it up to marketing or what have you, they are easy to sell and have a high satisfaction rate.  As for Dysons being junk because refurbs are on the market after only two years, if I used that criteria for all product I wouldn't have anything left to sell.  We constantly get refurb sheets from Eureka / Electrolux with machines that have only been out 6 months.  Same goes for most other brands.

Dusty
mole

Reply #188   Mar 2, 2008 2:17 pm
Hi Dusty,what other brands of cleaners do you sell and service?

mole

Motorhead

Reply #189   Mar 2, 2008 3:43 pm
mole wrote:
But dyson dont care he can always unload his stuff on the japs...........

Isn't that just a little discriminatory?  If anything, I'm envious of the folks over there in Japan because they're always the first recipients of new Dyson technology...the DC12 and DC22 for example.  As for your other remark, hoping that Dyson will get out of the floorcare industry, I'm just going to chalk that up as wishful thinking because I promise you that will never happen, at least not during your lifetime.  Dyson has sold millions of cleaners worldwide and I honestly don't see that changing anytime soon.

As Dusty said, the DC21 is a very popular machine.  A bagless canister with an electric power nozzle that works properly, what more could anyone want?  And I've mentioned before on another thread that the DC18 is a favorite of women who run their own housecleaning businesses. 

-MH
This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by Motorhead
Motorhead

Reply #190   Mar 2, 2008 3:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
MH:

Just curious about this statement which you always make along with your dyson drivel. 

Do you accept and follow financial advice from friends and family?  Or do you go to the experts?

Carmine D.

That's an easy one, as well as comparing apples and oranges.  We're talking about a vacuum cleaner purchase here.  There's no reason I wouldn't believe a trusted family member who raves nonstop about their Dyson (or anything else for that matter).

Speaking of which, one thing I noticed on the online reviews:  I've never, as of yet, seen any instance where a friend or family member recommended a Dyson to someone and they didn't like it.  Always the contrary.
This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #191   Mar 2, 2008 4:12 pm
Motorhead wrote:
That's an easy one, as well as comparing apples and oranges.  We're talking about a vacuum cleaner purchase here.  There's no reason I wouldn't believe a trusted family member who raves nonstop about their Dyson (or anything else for that matter).

Speaking of which, one thing I noticed on the online reviews:  I've never, as of yet, seen any instance where a friend or family member recommended a Dyson to someone and they didn't like it.  Always the contrary.

Why the difference?  What do people use to buy dysons?   Apples and oranges.  Or money.  $500 plus of USA dollars.  Would you accept and take family and friends' advice alone when you spend $500 and more?  Or do you research and investigate the financial terms for yourself?  Or just plunk down the $500 + based on hearsay [word of mouth as you say]? 

I gifted a dyson DC07 pink to my daughter.  It's sitting unused in a spare bedroom since June 2007.  Can't push and pull it over the carpets.  Her husband, who spent 2 years in the UK during the late 90's playing basketball, tells his house guests, and others who ask, the reason the dyson is not used: The DC07 doesn't work on US carpets.  It was designed for the European market.  Does this nullify your last statement? 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 2, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #192   Mar 2, 2008 4:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Why the difference?  What do people use to buy dysons?   Apples and oranges.  Or money.  $500 plus of USA dollars.  Would you accept and take family and friends' advice alone when you spend $500 and more?  Or do you research and investigate the financial terms for yourself?  Or just plunk down the $500 + based on hearsay [word of mouth as you say]? 

I gifted a dyson DC07 pink to my daughter.  It's sitting unused in a spare bedroom since June 2007.  Can't push and pull it over the carpets.  Her husband, who spent 2 years in the UK during the late 90's playing basketball, tells his house guests, and others who ask, the reason the dyson is not used: The DC07 doesn't work on US carpets.  It was designed for the European market.  Does this nullify your last statement? 

Carmine D.

Your whole family and their friends must be red necks if house guests are visiting to discuss vacuums.  
mole

Reply #193   Mar 2, 2008 5:01 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Your whole family and their friends must be red necks if house guests are visiting to discuss vacuums.  

Is your mother a man?

mole

dusty

Reply #194   Mar 2, 2008 5:07 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Dusty,what other brands of cleaners do you sell and service?

mole

Electrolux / Eureka, Panasonic, Riccar, Sebo, Samsung and then a few dealer only brands. 

Dusty
HARDSELL

Reply #195   Mar 2, 2008 6:33 pm
mole wrote:
Is your mother a man?

mole

Is your mother your father's sister or cousin?  Lots of inbreeding in the mole hole.
CarmineD

Reply #196   Mar 2, 2008 8:52 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Here's a truthful answer to a sarcastic question.  My Son-in-law has 3 brothers, 2 of whom are married and 2 of whom are living in a bordering state.  All the brothers, and their Wifes, spend alot of time visiting LV and using the spare and guest bedrooms.  The dyson pink vacuum is stored in the guest bedroom [unused since June 2007]. 

When one of the married brothers visited for Christmas with his Wife, they mentioned that they planned to buy a new vacuum.  They had seen the dyson pink stored in the guest bedroom on several visits [unused].  They said they planned to buy the vacuum at COSTCO.    Which one:  The HOOVER Rewind.  Why?  My Son-in-law's sister-in-law [his brother's Wife} works for the Pharmacy at COSTCO and she was using one at work which she really liked. 

I gifted a new HOOVER Rewind [which I purchased from COSTCO] to them during their stay.  They love it.

Carmine D.

Replies: 187 - 196 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42