Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 233 - 242 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #233   Apr 3, 2008 7:29 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hi DIB

...  Yes the filter washing is a downside but the performance is a leap forward from previous models.  As for the filter washing I don't always wash mine every 6 months, i can go longer and the filter is not that dirty.  I think it depends on what your using the vac for and the area you live in.  So the 3 months on the DC25 I could probably get away with 6 months!!

DC18

The manufacturer's instructions for maintenance are generally based on average usage.  For vacuums, I suspect that's 2 times a week.  I would be very reluctant to make a general statement about circumventing the manual's guidance for the purpose of convenience especially from 4 times to 2 times in a 12 month period.  Why?  Sometimes you vacuum more than 2 times per week.  Or vacuum longer periods of time.  Eyeballing a filter to determine if it is clean/dirty is a very primitive means of knowing if it is.  Why? By the time the dust and dirt accumulates on the filter surface for the eye to see, the filters' pores are already saturated and degraded.  Heat from the motor's operation degrades the filter material/operation also.  Failing to perform the filter maintenance as recommended by the user guide, causes the motor to run hotter than usual.  Hotter running causes premature motor failure.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 3, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #234   Apr 4, 2008 1:07 pm
DC18 wrote:
I don't understand why the DC25 has a 3 month filter cleaning guide but the DC18 which uses the same bin and cyclone setup and same watt motor has a 6 months filter cleaning guide.  That is why I asked the question.  I can understand the guide on filter cleaning on the DC24.  I believe DIB meant Dyson sacified using the latest and most effective Root and Core Combined Technology on the DC24 and DC25 to improve the weight, i.e lighter in weight and use.  Where as the new cyclone technology would have increased weight/size!!  But it still doesn't answer the question about the DC25 filter cleaning, may be a call to the UK helpline may give some answers!?

DC18

Carmin D.  wrote:

You might learn if you ask that dyson plans to revise all the filter maintenance timeframes on its models, including the DC17 and DC18, to 3 months. 

Carmine D.

The pre-filter on Dyson's clog over time.  Since Hoover sued Dyson and Oreck is currently suing Dyson over his "No Clogging" and/or "No Loss of Suction" claim etc., it has been interesting to watch and see how Dyson comes out.  "No Clogging" has been dropped from Dyson's marketing since the Hoover/Dyson settlement.  And for months following (Dyson's presented on HSN) there seemed a noticeable lack of mention or hesitancy saying  "No Loss of Suction" from "Dyson Dave" and the HSN hosts, until recently and today.  Today on HSN, the DC17 is being marketed as "No Loss of Suction" machine, and “The pre-filter needs to be cleaned every 6 months”.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #235   Apr 4, 2008 1:31 pm
DIB:

I understand there is a new DC17 launched recently.  Is this the one on HSN?

Or is HSN selling the earlier model?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #236   Apr 4, 2008 3:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

I understand there is a new DC17 launched recently.  Is this the one on HSN?

Or is HSN selling the earlier model?

Carmine D.

DIB:

I have my answer.  It's the earlier model DC17 Absolute Animal on HSN for $449.  Good price.  But I've seen the latest dyson DC17 model available for $499 before discounts. 

It will be very difficult for dyson from a practical point of view and business perspective to keep two different systems of filter maintenance for its venue of models.  My sense is that dyson will gradually phase out the 6 month filter cleaning routine for 3 months.  It's worth asking dyson rather than second quessing HSN. 

I thoroughly and wholeheartedly agree with your premise that the reason for the change is directly related to the lawsuits.  My sense is too that people can't remember to do the filter maintenance on 6 month intervals.  [Do you remember to change your Fridge water filter every 6 months? Or does it creep back to 8-10 months?].  3 months is easier for users to remember and follow.  If it slips a tad, 5-6 months is much better than 12 months.

I recall the last HSN dyson show I viewed [DC14 Animal], the filter maintenance was cited by Dyson Dave as 3, 4, 5, 6 months. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 4, 2008 by CarmineD
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #237   Apr 4, 2008 3:25 pm
Carmine D

I agree with you on the filter maintenance and users should follow the guide.  Some don't always and wonder whay they have problems.  One of the reasons I don't wash my filters on my Dyson's is I don't use them the same amount as a normal user does!  Hence I get longer use out of them generally speaking!! 

DC18

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #238   Apr 4, 2008 3:29 pm
The 3 months filter washing interval is going back tot he days of the DC01 and DC02 which you had to repalce the filters every 3 months or sooner!  Now the filters are washable on later models!  Suppose the 3 months makes sense! 

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #239   Apr 4, 2008 4:07 pm
BTW, talking about HSN, I noted that the dyson DC17 shared the spot with the HOOVER Cordless Impulse Hard Floor scrubber and suction cleaner for $90.  25-30 minute operation time per charge.  Nice product. 

And, also the Dirt Devil Kruz cordless hard floor cleaner stick vacuum for $90.  My sense was the DD Kruz was the biggest hit of all for the HSN staffer.  Note too that as a barefloor cleaner, it does not use oval hair brushes.  3 wheels for maneuverability and a straight brush strip. 25-30 minute operation time per charge.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #240   Apr 4, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: pre-filter maintenance.

My very old Fantom Fury has a filter change indicator.  Stick one of these things on all Dyson uprights and canister vacuums and perhaps many problems will be solved.        DIB

This message was modified Jun 9, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

M00seUK

Reply #241   Apr 4, 2008 6:39 pm
Dyson vacuum cleaners have had indicators in the past - the ConstantMAX commercial cleaner (based on the DC04) :-

I seem to recall that Dyson had a patent filed for this indicator.

Not sure why they didn't include this on their domestic cleaners. Perhaps they didn't want to highlight the fact that they had filters that needed maintenance?
CarmineD

Reply #242   Apr 4, 2008 6:45 pm
Or better still, a self-cleaning pre-motor filter.  Now, that's innovative and engineer worthy. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 233 - 242 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42