Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 213 - 222 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #213   Mar 21, 2008 6:15 pm
Matt, DIB:

Danke schone on the dyson info. 

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #214   Mar 29, 2008 8:21 am
I have finally managed to 'test drive' the new DC24 and DC25 in one of my local shops and also spoke to the UK Dyson helpline about them too.

Test drive:

DC24:

Very light and compact (lighter than the DC22 canister!) and easy to store!  The handle release on these new 'ball's are easier to use.  In use the DC24 is not too noisey, very light and easy to steer.  The brush bar spins very fast and you could see it and partly feel it grooming the carpet (although the carpet in the shop was short pile I believe).  The brush turfs on the DC24 are thin but not that spaced too far apart.  The actual brush barrell is very thin which I suppose you can expect for the size of the machine and head.  There is a reset button on the brush bar head like the DC18.  The brush bar is all one peice again powered from one side.  You can turned it off like other modles for hard flooring etc..  Tools, you only get a new version of the combi tool.  The wand does extented like a mini telescope wand.  So you have the main metal tube plus a plastic one that extents out!  For the size of the motor/air watts the suction for it's size is not bad. 

DC25

Again very light for it being a 'full' size Dyson.  Again the handle release on this new 'ball' model is easier to use than the previous DC15.  The wand works like the DC18 and the US DC17.  Pull it out from the top and the handle automatically releases from the machine.  The hose stretches to the same length as other models and is longer than the original ball DC15.  Tools on board, you get a new version of the combi tool very square in shape so is the new stair tool too.  In use the DC25 is very light and easy to steer!  Again the brush bar spins very fast you could see the brush bar grooming the carpet (same as use with the DC24 above).  Coud not see any reset button.  Again the brush barrell is one peice.  You could feel the suction power and it grooming the carpet (in fact it felt like it was hugging the carpet!) better than the DC15 and DC18.  But it was still easy to steer and move over the carpet it felt light.   The brush turfs on the DC25 were more spaced out than the DC24 but where thicker brush turfs and slightly shorter.  No metal sole plate on this model which I think they should have put on.  The suction power is very strong probably on par with the DC18.  Filter wash intervals every 3 months compared tot he DC18 (and others) every 6 months!  Why this is I'm not sure as the bin setup is the same as the DC18.  One thing I noticed which has been commented on here is the noise the DC25 makes when you turn it off.  Not sure how to describe it but it happened.

Change over valve DC24 and DC25

Not sure if anyone has noticed but the change over valve on these 2 new models is different from other Dyson uprights.  Normally this happens when the main body of the machine is lowered or return to the upright position.  The valve moves to either the floor nozzle when body is lowered or the hose when the body is returned to the upright position.  Not on the DC24 and DC25 the suction/air flow is directed at the floor nozzle all the time until you release/pull out the wand the change over valve switches to hose.  On return of the wand the valve switches back to the main floor nozzle.  If you look on both modles at the base of the hose one end of the wand pokes out pushing a flap open which closes if the wand is removed.  This flap is spring loaded and this is what moves the air flow from floor to hose when the wand it removed or replaced.  That is why they have used a flexi hose just before the airflow enters the bin. You will noticed the end cap on the DC25 does not have vents in it anymore, this is why.  The DC24 still does have vents in the ned cap, 

Overall

I would probably go for the DC25 if I had to choose.  I think the DC25 is a vast improvement on the original DC15 Ball.  I do feel the bin though could have been taller not necessary wider in diameter.  I was impressed by the DC25 which when I first saw it though it was just going to be like the DC18 but with a bigger ball!

I not sure why some of the UK shops I've been in have dropped the DC18 Slim over these 2 new models.  One thing the DC18 offers but both these new models can not is the slim body which allows the main nozzle head to be wider than the main body of the cleaner.  Although they both have slim\small bins like the DC18! 

Dyson Helpline

I called the helpline for another query but questioned them on the new DC24 and DC25.  I was told these cleaners are something completely new to what Dyson has done in the past.  They are lighter and easy to use and steer.  One thing I was surprised to hear was about the airwatts and performance.  I was told that Dyson has always gone by airwatts and not motor wattage but with these 2 new models they are going against what they have always said in the past and in fact these give the same if not better performance.  The reason for this I was told is due to the (yes we come back to that subject we all love!) new motorised brush bar.  Unlike the belt driven (referring to the DC07 and DC14) which uses the main motor, driven by a belt these new models have motorised brush bars that spin faster than the belt driven ones, that fast you can hardly see it moving!.  As most of the work (cleaning) I was told is done by the brush bar (2/3 or 3/4 can't remember which one I was told!!), becuase the new models are more effective they don't need as much suction to remove\carry the dirt away.   I have to say the DC25 brush bar does spin very fast and does groom and hug the carpet better than the DC15/18.  I was impressed with the DC25. The DC24 and DC25 I believe are belt drive by a separate motor unlike the DC15/18 which where geared driven motor, correct me if I'm wrong!

Other Comments

I've noticed on the UK Dyson web the accessories for the DC24 and DC25 are now showing.  One thing I've noticed a new stair tool for the DC18 is £9 but for the new DC25 it is £2.50! Why!? Probably due to the shape!  Also on the DC24 you can get a new main nozzle head for £65.00, nothing showing for the DC25 as yet!  So looks liek the head on the DC24 comes off like the DC18 does!

I think that is it!  Just thought I'd share my findings!

DC18

Venson

Reply #215   Mar 29, 2008 11:15 am
Thanks DC18.

Venson

DC18

Reply #216   Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am
Your welcome Venson, thought I'd share my findings tot he rest of you all.

DC18

Acerone

Reply #217   Mar 29, 2008 11:50 am
Oh, yes thanks for the review... I still haven't seen the 24 or 25 in our stores yet but I hear it's coming...
DysonInventsBig

Reply #218   Mar 29, 2008 4:05 pm

DC18,

Thank you for your posting, it was most helpful.  James must be legally comfortable with his “No Loss of Suction” tag/claim next to the DC24/25.  He is again running this tag on his U.S. Dyson.com front page.

A question, if I may…

• A lighter handle weight was certainly an engineering goal of the DC25/24, interesting you did not mention this.  Dyson sacrificed filtration (I believe) for a lighter handle weight and to a lesser degree an overall weight.  Was the lighter handle weight/s not impressive enough to notice?

Thanks.        DIB

P.S.  Did you hear of the French inventor who is now said to have invented recorded audio 17 yrs. before Edision?  Edision had the better claim...  a commercially profitable (or the beginnings) recordable audio.  Take a look/read and listen to 2 audio interviews.  Here.

This message was modified Mar 29, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DC18

Reply #219   Mar 29, 2008 5:34 pm
Hi DIB, Acerone

Your welcome.

In answer to your question DIB.  One thing I suppose I forgot they were both light to use and light in your hand.  I can understand Dyson making lighter uprights.  One question back to you DIB, you say he sacificed filteration for light overall weight and light to use or in use.  I can understand that on the DC24 but not so much with the DC25.  The DC25 has the same watt motor and airwatts give or take a few and the same bin and cyclone setup as the DC18 so there is no sacifice there!  But why is the filteration and filter washing different between the DC25 and DC18?  To me it should be the same!  I believe the bin could have been taller which would not have added much more overall weight to the DC25!   That aside i'm very impressed with the DC25, prefer it over the DC15!

I think the campaign on the uprights in the UK is 'Our don't clog others do'!!

DC18

This message was modified Mar 29, 2008 by DC18
CarmineD

Reply #220   Mar 29, 2008 6:32 pm
"James must be legally comfortable with his “No Loss of Suction” tag/claim next to the DC24/25.  He is again running this tag on his U.S. Dyson.com front page." Source: DIB

"One question back to you DIB, you say he sacificed filteration for light overall weight and light to use or in use.  I can understand that on the DC24 but not so much with the DC25.  The DC25 has the same watt motor and airwatts give or take a few and the same bin and cyclone setup as the DC18 so there is no sacifice there!  But why is the filteration and filter washing different between the DC25 and DC18?  To me it should be the same!"   Source: DC18

Hello:  These two facts are mutually inclusive and co-dependent.  Why?  You can't have one without the other.  The claim "never loses suction", requires users to perform the filter maintenance more often.  Else, dyson can't make the claim.

If a company wants technological innovation with high prices, then give customers a self-cleaning filter that allows a vacuum never to lose suction. 

The consequences of the overblown dyson claim: "Never clogs, never loses suction" is coming back to haunt dyson.  You can go from cleaning every 3 months to every 6; charge more and claim better and improved.  That works.  But... go from 6 months to 3 months; charge more and claim better and improved?  Really?  Are consumers that gullible that they don't know the difference?  Apparently, somebody at dyson thinks so.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 29, 2008 by CarmineD
DC18

Reply #221   Mar 30, 2008 3:11 pm
I don't understand why the DC25 has a 3 month filter cleaning guide but the DC18 which uses the same bin and cyclone setup and same watt motor has a 6 months filter cleaning guide.  That is why I asked the question.  I can understand the guide on filter cleaning on the DC24.  I believe DIB meant Dyson sacified using the latest and most effective Root and Core Combined Technology on the DC24 and DC25 to improve the weight, i.e lighter in weight and use.  Where as the new cyclone technology would have increased weight/size!!  But it still doesn't answer the question about the DC25 filter cleaning, may be a call to the UK helpline may give some answers!?

As for pricing on these new models they in UK sterling prices are no more expensive than current modles to buy.  Take the DC24 £239.99 which is normally the price for the Base DC07 and DC14 when they where launched and they didn't have brush control. The DC25 is £279.99 which is what the base DC18 Slim when launched was and is cheaper than the DC15 Ball when that came out which was over £300.00.  I think the prices of the new models in terms of Dyson pricing of his vacuums is comparable to the rest of the model line up at present. 

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #222   Mar 30, 2008 8:27 pm
DC18 wrote:
I don't understand why the DC25 has a 3 month filter cleaning guide but the DC18 which uses the same bin and cyclone setup and same watt motor has a 6 months filter cleaning guide.  That is why I asked the question.  I can understand the guide on filter cleaning on the DC24.  I believe DIB meant Dyson sacified using the latest and most effective Root and Core Combined Technology on the DC24 and DC25 to improve the weight, i.e lighter in weight and use.  Where as the new cyclone technology would have increased weight/size!!  But it still doesn't answer the question about the DC25 filter cleaning, may be a call to the UK helpline may give some answers!?

DC18

You might learn if you ask that dyson plans to revise all the filter maintenance timeframes on its models, including the DC17 and DC18, to 3 months. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 213 - 222 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42