Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 181 - 190 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #181   Mar 17, 2008 6:59 pm
Hello Trilobite:

HOOVER USA had the HOOVER WT which celebrated it's 90 years: 1908 to 1998.  As part of the promotion some buyers received a handheld scalemodel of the WT with a tape measure inside in both inches and centimeters.  In two tone colors of brown and black and engraved on the underside with the commemoration.  I have one setting on my desk.

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #182   Mar 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Dyson may do this for the DC24 depends how many people make Dyson aware of this issue of the hose.  I can't see people wanting the DC24 for a semi-detacted house this model is way too small!  On the other hand if they did it's small and lite weight so cleaning the stairs holding the machine on a step would be ok.

As for hose length, I've never found the DC01, DC03, DC04 and DC07 a problem with hose length for cleaning stair (straight up and stair that bend round a corner) these Dyson models reach very well.  The reason for the short hose on the DC15 was due to design I think!  The base of the hose is higher up compared with other models!

DC18

Venson

Reply #183   Mar 17, 2008 8:48 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Trilobite:

HOOVER USA had the HOOVER WT which celebrated it's 90 years: 1908 to 1998.  As part of the promotion some buyers received a handheld scalemodel of the WT with a tape measure inside in both inches and centimeters.  In two tone colors of brown and black and engraved on the underside with the commemoration.  I have one setting on my desk.

Carmine D.

That's cool! I have not seen the like since they made a tape measure using the "Connie" about a hundred years ago.  Wish I still had it.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #184   Mar 18, 2008 7:43 am
Venson wrote:
That's cool! I have not seen the like since they made a tape measure using the "Connie" about a hundred years ago.  Wish I still had it.

Venson

Yes.  Two tone blue for the HOOVER 82.  And two tone tan for the HOOVER 84.  From the early 50's.  The "Connies" had a material tape and the giveaways did not commemorate an anniversary.  Just a brand new HOOVER model.  They were popular with the ladies who used them for their sewing kits.  The HOOVER WT has a metal tape and celebrates the 90th year in operations.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 18, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #185   Mar 18, 2008 4:46 pm
Trilobite wrote:
They might, actually.

Consider someone living in a semi-detached, tired of lugging $#%*bersome cleaners about; wants a lightweight machine, buys a DC24, complains to Dyson about the short hose. Suppose Dyson addresses this problem? It has been done before, with the DC15.

I always liked the UK Hoover machines - they had the longest hoses on test, according to WHICH?

Speaking of Hoover, what happened to the Anniversary Centenary model that was touted?

(I see we have a ridiculous 'bot intercepting valid words and phrases. Might I suggest that the interception profiles be updated in some way?)

I noticed the same thing earlier, when I tried to use the word "cūmbersome" as well.  Hopefully the annoying problem will be corrected in the future, but for now, the accented "u" on the character map does fine (even if it does look a bit strange) ;-)

At any rate, I do remember seeing the Fantom extension hoses (one was also touted as part of a "car cleaning kit") in the mid-90's, although the hose on the IONA (later Thunder when it changed from 11 amps to 12)/Kenmore Destiny didn't seem to be that short (though I thought removing the handle was a little strange since it was the first machine I saw with that particular arrangement). 

The DC25 uses the same bin assembly as the DC18.  The DC24's bin is about half that size, so I can't see anyone wanting it for a decent-sized house, unless of course they don't mind emptying it often.  If it was my only choice, however, I wouldn't mind, but that is just my opinion.  I can see where it would be desirable for older women who need something that is lightweight and not very big (read: telescoping handle and easy to carry), or those living in small apartments.  In both situations the user could certainly benefit from good performance in a small cleaner, which is rare these days...even though it may be small, at least it will still clean, something that cannot be said about the lightweight uprights it was designed to compete with (either bagged or with clogging bin filters).

I didn't notice any problems with the hose length on the DC07, 14, 17, or 18.  I do agree that yes, the hose on the DC15 is a bit short, but it's definitely not the shortest I've used by any means.  I would guess that if it becomes an issue with the DC24, Dyson wouldn't have a problem correcting it, either by furnishing an extension hose or correcting the problem on new models after a certain period of time.

-MH
This message was modified Mar 18, 2008 by Motorhead
DysonInventsBig

Reply #186   Mar 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Re:  Dyson shrouds – the best on earth.

Has anyone noticed how the DC24 is using 2 different shrouds?  The 1) straight (lip) skirt (as on the DC14, etc.), 2) flared (disk) skirt (as on the DC11, DC22).        DIB

iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Reply #187   Mar 18, 2008 9:05 pm
Here is a link to a video where someone tries to vacuum around his cat with a DC25. Note the low tone winding down sound from the motor as the machine is turned off. Why is that?http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2196201/6947067 Anyone here get a chance to try out a DC25 yet?
This message was modified Mar 18, 2008 by iMacDaddy
DysonInventsBig

Reply #188   Mar 18, 2008 11:10 pm

MH,

I have not seen the new uprights, but from photos and playing the Japanese swf movie in slow speed I saw 5 high efficiency cyclones in the DC24.  The DC11 has 5 cyclones (each half), but the cyclones were tightly put together.  The DC24 bin, cyclones and shroud look like one half of the DC11 bin, cyclones and shroud.  Does anyone remember how well the DC11 cyclones filtered?        DIB

This message was modified Mar 18, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Motorhead

Reply #189   Mar 19, 2008 12:25 am
Hi DIB,

I visited Tom last month and one of the machines he showed me was his DC11.  If I remember correctly, he told me (while showing me the cyclone assembly of the DC11) that the Japan-exclusive DC12 does just that; its cyclone assembly is based on half of the DC11's cyclone assembly.  Looking at the picture of the DC24 again, I would bet that the DC24's bin/cyclone assembly is a new design, it doesn't look like the DC11 or DC12 to me but I could be wrong. 

Here's a picture of the DC12 for reference, I can see the similarities to the DC11's cyclone assembly.  The one thing I don't care for on the DC11 are the two cyclone assemblies and the oblong bin, with the narrow space it seems like there would be a greater potential for dirt to get trapped between the bin and the shroud(s) and would be more difficult to empty.  I prefer the single, round cyclone assembly and bin of the other models.

-MH

This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by Motorhead
DysonInventsBig

Reply #190   Mar 19, 2008 2:09 pm

MH,

I think the DC12 is based on the DC11 but scaled up by 20-25%.  For a long time I believed like Tom that the 12 and the 11 were the same (based on photos only and not in person).  But when I saw some DC12 photos showing some scale, the answered presented its self.       DIB

P.S.  Outside of Dyson engineers, perhaps no one knows more of Dyson’s than Tom.

This message was modified Mar 19, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 181 - 190 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42