Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 3:54 pm
Replies: 159 - 168 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Dyson DC24 / DC25 Vacs: Sir James Brings his Ball back
Reply #159   Mar 11, 2008 11:14 am
What is the big deal about checking / changing a filter.  If it is not getting dirty it is not performing it's job.  Does anyone change the oil and air folter on their auto?

Has anyone ever cleaned the filter on a Hoover.  This is the worst ever, however our pro doesn't want this mentioned.

Venson

Reply #160   Mar 11, 2008 12:18 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
What is the big deal about checking / changing a filter.  If it is not getting dirty it is not performing it's job.  Does anyone change the oil and air folter on their auto?

Has anyone ever cleaned the filter on a Hoover.  This is the worst ever, however our pro doesn't want this mentioned.

Hi Hardsell,

No, there's really not much to making  filter checks but most unfortunately the larger part of owners appear to think that vacuum cleaners take care of themselves just like brooms.  (They don't know there are care rules for brooms either.) They won't empty bags or notice clogs until the machine either doesn't pick up well or at all -- not a good thing -- and as for filters this seldom crosses the mind of the average user until -- again -- something crucial happens.  This is why repair shops are full.

When a pitch is being made regarding just about any brand of bagless vacuum what is stressed is that all you have to do is walk over to a trrash can and dump it.  I have never heard much regarding the negatives -- the dust raised in the process of emptying, the fluff that gets caught on the shroud requiring removal by hand -- mentioned.  Of all things, filter maintenance is the last thing mentioned.  I've encountered numerous buyers who think bagless means absolutely no maintenance other than dumping out the bin.  Worse yet, there seems to be no line of logic that leads them to see otherwise.

The hope is that the better bagless machines and even bagged ones are being made as "user proof" as possiblle.  The only thing they've come up with so far iis the thermal overload switch.

Best,

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #161   Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm

As much as I like and respect James, he seems at times to over react in an attempt to fix problems.  Dyson, at present is being sued by Oreck, and was just sued by Hoover.  Oreck states Dyson’s do clog and is suing claiming this pitch hurt Oreck sales.  Oreck wants to collect money from James’ DC18 sales.  Getting sued in many countries can lead to an over reaction and an defensive position to the cleaning the pre-filter (and now HEPA).  Dyson needs to just stick a “time to clean your filter” indicator on all his great vacuums and the problem/s solved.  He is design guy and has a hard time (at times) making consumer friendly (dummy/worry free/child proof) tweaks.  Put an indicator on your vacuums Mr. Dyson, and you will put an end to the confusion and/or complaints and/or needless breakdowns.

The DC24 looks to have a typical Dyson type HEPA (thickness and pleats) filter.  Overfilling past the “max line” on the bin, thereby dust loading the high efficiency filters/cyclones is real and plausible and leads to dirtying prematurely the pre-filter and then onto (dirt escaping) and passing onto and clogging the HEPA.  Who knows, perhaps this motor cranks out the rpm’s thereby putting out more carbon dust than what’s typical for James’ vacuums (it’s just a guess).

Canister emptying and is it messy?  Well Dyson is suing Oreck over Oreck’s claim to just this and many other false advertisement claims (alleged by Dyson) that were made by Oreck when Oreck compare their XL21 (I think this is the number) to a Dyson DC14 in their infomercials and related marketing.  Read the directions and use a bag when empting your Dyson (Dyson says in the lawsuit) and eliminate much of the dust leaking when empting a bin.        DIB

This message was modified Mar 11, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #162   Mar 11, 2008 4:05 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
 If it is not getting dirty it is not performing it's job.  Does anyone change the oil and air folter on their auto?

My Man:

In fact today, changed the oil, filter and air cleaner on the old Explorer XLT.  Yes Sir, still like to do it myself.  Especially here in the desert where it needs doing more often.

On the second point, HOOVER has a patent on a teflon coated bin filter.  Easier for the dust/dirt to fall off Allows washing with water.  Available in its least expensive bagless models, like the $100 EmPower.  Now that's a model that's been around since 2003 and still going strong.  Especially with Consumer Reports.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #163   Mar 11, 2008 7:42 pm

I posted this picture only because I saw an earlier picture (from an online magazine) of a woman testing a DC24 and holding the vacuum above the floor (at her hip), just only so she could get enough reach to vacuum at ceiling height. – She was doing it incorrectly.  Remarkably, Dyson himself shows the proper way of using a hose and wand on the DC24 with its far reaching ability.  Well done!        DIB

Trilobite

Reply #164   Mar 11, 2008 7:45 pm
DIB:

Thanks again for the photos, it does appear to be a user access port to get to the filter.

The photo of the cleaner next to James Dyson, makes the cleaner look like a child's toy.

I was wondering about the suction power rating for the DC24. It is supposed to be 100 airWatts. Would I be correct in thinking that lesser suction power excerts lower gravitational forces upon the dust particles, thus allowing more dust through to contaminate the pre-motor filters?

I wonder what electrical wattage the motor is, in this cleaner?

Trilobite

Reply #165   Mar 11, 2008 8:02 pm
DIB:

Looking at James Dyson using the tools above the floor, the hose looks to be fully stretched, and a little on the short side. No use for cleaning a staircase.

Trilobite

Reply #166   Mar 11, 2008 8:13 pm
Aha!!!

Just checked Currys.co.uk.

DC24 has 650 Watt motor, generating, apparently, 120 air Watts of suction power.

DC03 had a 700 Watt motor, achieving around 90 air Watts suction power.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #167   Mar 12, 2008 4:11 am
I believe the DC24 has been designed for apartments and flats and small houses.  With the DC24 being small and lite in a small hoise cleaning the stairs th euser would have to hold/rest the vacuum on the stairs and they vacuum with the hose.   I had the same issue with the DC15 as the hose on that is smaller in length to the other models (DC04/07/14) which when I spoke to Dyson (UK) helpline they sent me out a flexible hose extension to solve this issue!

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #168   Mar 12, 2008 7:50 am
Do you think jaydee needs a wardrobe consultant?  Nehru jacket

and banded shirt collar.  Really!  Talk about retro look.

Carmine D.

Replies: 159 - 168 of 535Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42