Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best Upright Vac for less then $200.00

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Best Upright Vac for less then $200.00
Original Message   Jan 5, 2008 5:45 pm
Someone is asking me this but I have no clue. So what would you recommend to someone that has $200.00 to spend on a vacuum cleaner.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 55Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Best Upright Vac for less then $200.00
Reply #11   Jan 6, 2008 8:36 pm
Two contenders also recommended by CR and available in the bagless upright category. 
  1. The HOOVER Tempo for $60 which rates a CR Best Buy and a "VERY GOOD" for performance on bare floors.  Although CR rates and ranks (8th in a field of 43) the bagged Tempo, the model is also available in a bagless mode.  With tools on board.
  2. THe HOOVER EmPower bagless for $100 rates a CR "Upright Recommendation" and an "EXCELLENT" for performance on bare floors.  With tools on board.

Both models are veterans in the upright vacuum cleaner category.  And are lighter in weight than most full-sized uprights on the market at 16 and 17 pounds respectively.

CR picked the $60 HOOVER TEMPO over the $469 dyson DC18 in the lightweight upright vacuum category.

I can personally as well as professionally vouch for the HOOVER Tempo (bagged). 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 6, 2008 by CarmineD
Acerone

Reply #12   Jan 7, 2008 12:48 am
Carmine,

So I went shopping today for a canister vacuum but I couldn't find the Hoover I "Pictured" posted above. Any idea where I could see one in person at?
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jan 7, 2008 7:14 am
Acerone wrote:
Carmine,

So I went shopping today for a canister vacuum but I couldn't find the Hoover I "Pictured" posted above. Any idea where I could see one in person at?

Hello Chris:

Here in North Las Vegas, Wal*Mart stores carry this HOOVER canister model.  If I'm not mistaken, it also carries the Eureka Sanitaire model that Mole mentions.  But I'm not certain.   I know it has the GE canister but that particular model ues a filter paper bag.

You might also try the HOOVER Web Site and pull up the model.  The Web Site provides a "zip code" search of retailers in your geographic location who carry and sell the model with their prices.   I purchased a HOOVER canister with straight suction in August, with a bag, from BEST BUY using this method.  And I'm pleased with the product, which I plan to review on here soon.

Carmine D.

Acerone

Reply #14   Jan 9, 2008 6:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Chris:</p><p>Here in North Las Vegas, Wal*Mart stores carry this HOOVER canister model.  If I'm not mistaken, it also carries the Eureka Sanitaire model that Mole mentions.  But I'm not certain.   I know it has the GE canister but that particular model ues a filter paper bag.</p><p>You might also try the HOOVER Web Site and pull up the model.  The Web Site provides a &quot;zip code&quot; search of retailers in your geographic location who carry and sell the model with their prices.   I purchased a HOOVER canister with straight suction in August, with a bag, from BEST BUY using this method.  And I'm pleased with the product, which I plan to review on here soon.</p><p>Carmine D.

So far no luck finding one...
CarmineD

Reply #15   Jan 10, 2008 7:16 am
Acerone wrote:
So far no luck finding one...

Hello Chris,

I input my ZIP and the HOOVER S3765 model came up as available and in stock in KOHL's and Amazon.com.  I did the same for the HOOVER model S3755, a comparable model per CR, but earlier and slightly less in price, and it came up as available and in stock in TARGET stores and Amazon.com.  Must be a supply shortage in your neck of the woods.

And the side banner of this page shows a retailer advertisement who has both these HOOVER models and is offering free next day shipping UPS and/or FedEx.   Both under $200.  I'm not affiliated with the business and make no warranties expressed/implied about them.  Here is the Web Site.

http://www.vcdiscounter.com/s3765040.html

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #16   Jan 10, 2008 9:07 am
Another option would be a rebuilt KIRBY G5,G6,G7 ,and even a few sentrias,diamonds, can be had for 200.00 ,if you know where to get them,trust me they are a glut on the market........

MOLE

Venson

Reply #17   Jan 10, 2008 6:41 pm
Thank you Mole for remembering the lightly used or rebuilt  and ever repairable war horses.  There's a lot of worth in the machines due to their abilty to endure alone.  I hope that more buyers to be this year will consider the same and maybe shake up the industry.  They say money talks.

Best,

Venson

Acerone

Reply #18   Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Chris,</p><p>I input my ZIP and the HOOVER S3765 model came up as available and in stock in KOHL's and Amazon.com.  I did the same for the HOOVER model S3755, a comparable model per CR, but earlier and slightly less in price, and it came up as available and in stock in TARGET stores and Amazon.com.  Must be a supply shortage in your neck of the woods.</p><p>And the side banner of this page shows a retailer advertisement who has both these HOOVER models and is offering free next day shipping UPS and/or FedEx.   Both under $200.  I'm not affiliated with the business and make no warranties expressed/implied about them.  Here is the Web Site.</p><p>http://www.vcdiscounter.com/s3765040.html</p><p>Carmine D.

Found it and what a disappointment. The Hoover looked so cheap and pieces where missing and broken off the vacuum... I'll pass on the Hoover for now...
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jan 10, 2008 7:56 pm
Acerone wrote:
Found it and what a disappointment. The Hoover looked so cheap and pieces where missing and broken off the vacuum... I'll pass on the Hoover for now...

For $170 to $200, especially in the canisters, you won't find much better from other makes and models.  At those prices, there's nothing special.  In part, the reason Consumers rated it a BEST CANISTER!

If you read my post on the other thread, your opinion epitomizes the point about US consumers looking for quality purchases now when they plunk down their bucks.  There is a pervasiveness among vacuum buyers [like you] who are frustrated and disgusted with the big box store China crap, to follow Mole and Venson's advice and seek out "good used/rebuilt" quality brands.  And you [and buyers like you] are parting ways with the big box retailers for vacuum purchases and will look for alternatives for your vacuum purchases:  The independent vacuum stores. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #20   Jan 10, 2008 9:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
For $170 to $200, especially in the canisters, you won't find much better from other makes and models.  At those prices, there's nothing special.  In part, the reason Consumers rated it a BEST CANISTER!

If you read my post on the other thread, your opinion epitomizes the point about US consumers looking for quality purchases now when they plunk down their bucks.  There is a pervasiveness among vacuum buyers [like you] who are frustrated and disgusted with the big box store China crap, to follow Mole and Venson's advice and seek out "good used/rebuilt" quality brands.  And you [and buyers like you] are parting ways with the big box retailers for vacuum purchases and will look for alternatives for your vacuum purchases:  The independent vacuum stores. 

Carmine D.

As someone who has held a constant subscription to CR for the past 9.5 years (Summer of '98, August issue to be exact) and has tracked the ratings during the entire time, I wouldn't take anything CR says to heart, "best" or not.  Their ratings are VERY inconsistent, not only with vacuums although that accounts for a large part of it.  Sometimes I look at the garbage they recommend and ask myself, "What were they thinking?!"  That Hoover WindTunnel canister looks cheap in the pictures, and I bet with that nasty clogging bin filter it will end up spewing dust too.  Gross.  As I've said before, if the filtered bagless was the only bagless type on the market today, I would take a disposable bag machine over one of those 100 times over.   And with the Kirby, she would have to look for something before 1981 if she wanted something that didn't use disposable bags.  I don't care for those cloth shakeout bags either, talk about a thing of the past.  My Sanitaire had one and I just recently converted it over to the F&G disposable bag setup, replacing the outer bag.  Boy, what an improvement that made as far as ease of use goes.

I'm sticking with my first choice, the dual-cyclone TFV, no messy bin filters to clean there.  Longevity is of course a question, but even then it certainly can't be worse than anything else out there in that price range.  The bottom line is that she'd have to spend a little more to get a truly good new machine.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 11 - 20 of 55Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42