Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best Upright Vac for less then $200.00

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Best Upright Vac for less then $200.00
Original Message   Jan 5, 2008 5:45 pm
Someone is asking me this but I have no clue. So what would you recommend to someone that has $200.00 to spend on a vacuum cleaner.
Replies: 1 - 55 of 55View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Best Upright Vac for less then $200.00
Reply #1   Jan 5, 2008 7:30 pm
Acerone wrote:
Someone is asking me this but I have no clue. So what would you recommend to someone that has $200.00 to spend on a vacuum cleaner.

With and/or without attachments?

Carmine D.

Motorhead

Reply #2   Jan 5, 2008 7:57 pm
What do they have in mind?  If they were looking at a bagless machine, I would say the Shark Infinity (Pet Care model; has a turbo nozzle) for $199.  If I couldn't get the Infinity I would say the Bissell Total Floors Velocity which is around $140.  It is a dual cyclone, unlike some of its brandmates which still have bin filters.  If they're willing to spend another $50 I would definitely point them toward the Bissell HealthyHome which is an excellent machine for the price in my opinion.

For a bagged machine, I would probably go with a Panasonic or CarpetPro.  Otherwise there doesn't seem to be anything decent around that price range.  For $250 they could get their hands on the TTI-made Royal or Hoover lightweight upright as well, which I also like.  Of course with the lightweight they would have to have a separate machine for attachment use.

Hope this helps,
MH
Acerone

Reply #3   Jan 5, 2008 8:21 pm
CarmineD wrote:
With and/or without attachments?</p><p>Carmine D.

She didn't say. So I'm guess for that amount without .... All she said is she has mostly wood floors.
Motorhead

Reply #4   Jan 5, 2008 8:25 pm
Acerone wrote:
She didn't say. So I'm guess for that amount without .... All she said is she has mostly wood floors.

If she has mostly wood floors, a canister would be a much better bet.  If there are area rugs, a power nozzle (or Heaven forbid a wide turbo brush if there are not any decent P/N-equipped canisters in that price range) would work as well.  This coming from someone who has nearly 100% laminate throughout the house and has tried uprights...been there, done that ;-)
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jan 5, 2008 9:25 pm
Acerone wrote:

Easy.  ORECK XL Classic upright.  Standalone vacuum without all the other giveaways and amenities.  Retail is $150 before taxes and shipping.  With the remaining $50, a HOOVER S1361 cann and/or comparable straight suction cann, sold at most big box retailers.  Two vacuums for the price of one.  With money left over.  Both are bagged. 

There are other possibilities too.

Carmine D.

Acerone

Reply #6   Jan 5, 2008 9:39 pm
Hi Carmine,

I see your back :-)

I also forgot she mention that she would like a bagless vacuum.

Chris
Motorhead

Reply #7   Jan 5, 2008 9:39 pm
Yes but does the Oreck have a brush on/off switch? ;-)

We had an Oreck, XL9100 to be exact, and it did a less-than-stellar job on bare floors with the high-speed brushroll...of course the tiny fan didn't help either.  Thanks to the squeegee-blade it didn't throw dirt back at your feet, but it didn't pick up so well.  Yet the machine is touted as being able to handle bare floors, strange.

Not to drift from the subject at hand, but one lightweight machine that really surprised me was the $49 Hoover Nano Lite (TTI-made) at Wal-Mart.  I bought one last summer when it came out, and I have to say it's not bad.  GREAT value for the price I thought.  The brushroll is aggressive and does a great job on carpets.  There's a belt shifter switch to move from carpets to bare floors (since it is a belt shifter and not a clutch, it should best be done with the machine off).  Yes, it is bagless, and it has the bin filter arrangement that I don't care for, however it does have a screen to separate hair from the fine dust as well as a slide-lever on the back of the filter to "tap" the dust off.  So far I haven't had any problems with it, and 2 others that I know of are in regular use with no problems so far, either.  Just throwing that out there.

-MH
CarmineD

Reply #8   Jan 5, 2008 10:40 pm
Acerone wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I see your back :-)

I also forgot she mention that she would like a bagless vacuum.

Chris

Hello Chris:

You were already familiar with the facts and circumstances of my post on the Forum about the DC14 COSTCO Exclusive.   I shared my experience with you by email several months ago.

In light of the bagless requirement: HOOVER WT bagless canister S3765/S3755.  $180 retail.  It does have a brush roll on/off switch and a cordwinder.  Rated a "Best Canister" by CR in October 2007.  The latter says alot about the vacuum since CR favors bagged vacuums over bagless.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 5, 2008 by CarmineD
Acerone

Reply #9   Jan 5, 2008 10:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Chris:</p><p>You were already familiar with the facts and circumstances of my post on the Forum about the DC14 COSTCO Exclusive.   I shared my experience with you by email several months ago.</p><p>In light of the bagless requirement: <strong>HOOVER WT bagless canister S3765/S3755.  $180 retail</strong>.  It does have a brush roll on/off switch and a cordwinder.  Rated a <strong>&quot;Best Canister&quot;</strong> by CR in October 2007.  The latter says alot about the vacuum since CR favors bagged vacuums over bagless.</p><p>Carmine D.

That's one canister I recommended to her.

mole

Reply #10   Jan 6, 2008 11:17 am
How about a sanitaire sc785, and the eureka 3670 mighty mite combo,this is the best combo out there for that price range,also the company has and will be here long after the HYPED machines are long gone............

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #11   Jan 6, 2008 8:36 pm
Two contenders also recommended by CR and available in the bagless upright category. 
  1. The HOOVER Tempo for $60 which rates a CR Best Buy and a "VERY GOOD" for performance on bare floors.  Although CR rates and ranks (8th in a field of 43) the bagged Tempo, the model is also available in a bagless mode.  With tools on board.
  2. THe HOOVER EmPower bagless for $100 rates a CR "Upright Recommendation" and an "EXCELLENT" for performance on bare floors.  With tools on board.

Both models are veterans in the upright vacuum cleaner category.  And are lighter in weight than most full-sized uprights on the market at 16 and 17 pounds respectively.

CR picked the $60 HOOVER TEMPO over the $469 dyson DC18 in the lightweight upright vacuum category.

I can personally as well as professionally vouch for the HOOVER Tempo (bagged). 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 6, 2008 by CarmineD
Acerone

Reply #12   Jan 7, 2008 12:48 am
Carmine,

So I went shopping today for a canister vacuum but I couldn't find the Hoover I "Pictured" posted above. Any idea where I could see one in person at?
CarmineD

Reply #13   Jan 7, 2008 7:14 am
Acerone wrote:
Carmine,

So I went shopping today for a canister vacuum but I couldn't find the Hoover I "Pictured" posted above. Any idea where I could see one in person at?

Hello Chris:

Here in North Las Vegas, Wal*Mart stores carry this HOOVER canister model.  If I'm not mistaken, it also carries the Eureka Sanitaire model that Mole mentions.  But I'm not certain.   I know it has the GE canister but that particular model ues a filter paper bag.

You might also try the HOOVER Web Site and pull up the model.  The Web Site provides a "zip code" search of retailers in your geographic location who carry and sell the model with their prices.   I purchased a HOOVER canister with straight suction in August, with a bag, from BEST BUY using this method.  And I'm pleased with the product, which I plan to review on here soon.

Carmine D.

Acerone

Reply #14   Jan 9, 2008 6:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Chris:</p><p>Here in North Las Vegas, Wal*Mart stores carry this HOOVER canister model.  If I'm not mistaken, it also carries the Eureka Sanitaire model that Mole mentions.  But I'm not certain.   I know it has the GE canister but that particular model ues a filter paper bag.</p><p>You might also try the HOOVER Web Site and pull up the model.  The Web Site provides a &quot;zip code&quot; search of retailers in your geographic location who carry and sell the model with their prices.   I purchased a HOOVER canister with straight suction in August, with a bag, from BEST BUY using this method.  And I'm pleased with the product, which I plan to review on here soon.</p><p>Carmine D.

So far no luck finding one...
CarmineD

Reply #15   Jan 10, 2008 7:16 am
Acerone wrote:
So far no luck finding one...

Hello Chris,

I input my ZIP and the HOOVER S3765 model came up as available and in stock in KOHL's and Amazon.com.  I did the same for the HOOVER model S3755, a comparable model per CR, but earlier and slightly less in price, and it came up as available and in stock in TARGET stores and Amazon.com.  Must be a supply shortage in your neck of the woods.

And the side banner of this page shows a retailer advertisement who has both these HOOVER models and is offering free next day shipping UPS and/or FedEx.   Both under $200.  I'm not affiliated with the business and make no warranties expressed/implied about them.  Here is the Web Site.

http://www.vcdiscounter.com/s3765040.html

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #16   Jan 10, 2008 9:07 am
Another option would be a rebuilt KIRBY G5,G6,G7 ,and even a few sentrias,diamonds, can be had for 200.00 ,if you know where to get them,trust me they are a glut on the market........

MOLE

Venson

Reply #17   Jan 10, 2008 6:41 pm
Thank you Mole for remembering the lightly used or rebuilt  and ever repairable war horses.  There's a lot of worth in the machines due to their abilty to endure alone.  I hope that more buyers to be this year will consider the same and maybe shake up the industry.  They say money talks.

Best,

Venson

Acerone

Reply #18   Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Chris,</p><p>I input my ZIP and the HOOVER S3765 model came up as available and in stock in KOHL's and Amazon.com.  I did the same for the HOOVER model S3755, a comparable model per CR, but earlier and slightly less in price, and it came up as available and in stock in TARGET stores and Amazon.com.  Must be a supply shortage in your neck of the woods.</p><p>And the side banner of this page shows a retailer advertisement who has both these HOOVER models and is offering free next day shipping UPS and/or FedEx.   Both under $200.  I'm not affiliated with the business and make no warranties expressed/implied about them.  Here is the Web Site.</p><p>http://www.vcdiscounter.com/s3765040.html</p><p>Carmine D.

Found it and what a disappointment. The Hoover looked so cheap and pieces where missing and broken off the vacuum... I'll pass on the Hoover for now...
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jan 10, 2008 7:56 pm
Acerone wrote:
Found it and what a disappointment. The Hoover looked so cheap and pieces where missing and broken off the vacuum... I'll pass on the Hoover for now...

For $170 to $200, especially in the canisters, you won't find much better from other makes and models.  At those prices, there's nothing special.  In part, the reason Consumers rated it a BEST CANISTER!

If you read my post on the other thread, your opinion epitomizes the point about US consumers looking for quality purchases now when they plunk down their bucks.  There is a pervasiveness among vacuum buyers [like you] who are frustrated and disgusted with the big box store China crap, to follow Mole and Venson's advice and seek out "good used/rebuilt" quality brands.  And you [and buyers like you] are parting ways with the big box retailers for vacuum purchases and will look for alternatives for your vacuum purchases:  The independent vacuum stores. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #20   Jan 10, 2008 9:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
For $170 to $200, especially in the canisters, you won't find much better from other makes and models.  At those prices, there's nothing special.  In part, the reason Consumers rated it a BEST CANISTER!

If you read my post on the other thread, your opinion epitomizes the point about US consumers looking for quality purchases now when they plunk down their bucks.  There is a pervasiveness among vacuum buyers [like you] who are frustrated and disgusted with the big box store China crap, to follow Mole and Venson's advice and seek out "good used/rebuilt" quality brands.  And you [and buyers like you] are parting ways with the big box retailers for vacuum purchases and will look for alternatives for your vacuum purchases:  The independent vacuum stores. 

Carmine D.

As someone who has held a constant subscription to CR for the past 9.5 years (Summer of '98, August issue to be exact) and has tracked the ratings during the entire time, I wouldn't take anything CR says to heart, "best" or not.  Their ratings are VERY inconsistent, not only with vacuums although that accounts for a large part of it.  Sometimes I look at the garbage they recommend and ask myself, "What were they thinking?!"  That Hoover WindTunnel canister looks cheap in the pictures, and I bet with that nasty clogging bin filter it will end up spewing dust too.  Gross.  As I've said before, if the filtered bagless was the only bagless type on the market today, I would take a disposable bag machine over one of those 100 times over.   And with the Kirby, she would have to look for something before 1981 if she wanted something that didn't use disposable bags.  I don't care for those cloth shakeout bags either, talk about a thing of the past.  My Sanitaire had one and I just recently converted it over to the F&G disposable bag setup, replacing the outer bag.  Boy, what an improvement that made as far as ease of use goes.

I'm sticking with my first choice, the dual-cyclone TFV, no messy bin filters to clean there.  Longevity is of course a question, but even then it certainly can't be worse than anything else out there in that price range.  The bottom line is that she'd have to spend a little more to get a truly good new machine.
This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #21   Jan 11, 2008 7:15 am
Motorhead wrote:

I'm sticking with my first choice, the dual-cyclone TFV, no messy bin filters to clean there.  Longevity is of course a question, but even then it certainly can't be worse than anything else out there in that price range.  The bottom line is that she'd have to spend a little more to get a truly good new machine.

For a vacuum budget of $170-$200 there's nothing special about the bagless canisters on the market today, which I personally and professionally don't like [for many of the same reasons CR states].  

As Mole and Venson recommended, with a $200 budget for a vacuum price requirement, a rebuilt/slightly used/rebuilt industry stalwart would  fare much better than anything new on the market today for $200.  Again, like the budget constraint, if the bagless feature is not a deal breaker.  I've made the point in several previous recent posts on the Forum that to get a good quality NEW vacuum in today's market, you have to spend more than $200 [and I'm not talking about a big box store dyson] and shop/buy at the vacuum store independents, not the big box retailers.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #22   Jan 11, 2008 7:22 am
Motorhead wrote:
As someone who has held a constant subscription to CR for the past 9.5 years (Summer of '98, August issue to be exact) and has tracked the ratings during the entire time, I wouldn't take anything CR says to heart, "best" or not. 

Hello Motorhead:

I assume you are in the vacuum cleaner business and hence the reason you've held a CR subscription for 10 years.  What do you think is a better consumer information guide for vacuums than CR? 

I have never been a staunch CR subscriber and reader.  I have been in and around the vacuum business all my long living life [praise be to God].  I have bought and read selected issues of CR over the past 60 years, primarily for vacuums.  I usually purchase the edition off the magazine rack.  I know many smart, well-educated, well to do people who are CR subscribers.  I have respect and admiration personally and professionally for these persons.

CR has gotten better over the years with its vacuum tests and ratings.  More in line with the consensus of vacuum industry experts and professionals.  However, I still, like you and others in the business, have many disagreements with CR when it comes to vacuums.  Be that as it may, is there, and has there ever been, a better reference guide for vacuum buying consumers on the market than CR? 

One vacuum choice that CR and I are in total agreement on is the HOOVER Tempo for $60.   Always rated in the top 10 by CR year after year.  And there are others too that we agree on.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #23   Jan 11, 2008 9:22 am
Venson wrote:
Thank you Mole for remembering the lightly used or rebuilt  and ever repairable war horses.  There's a lot of worth in the machines due to their abilty to endure alone.  I hope that more buyers to be this year will consider the same and maybe shake up the industry.  They say money talks.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson, You and others on the forum [KNOW WHERE IT'S AT].I dont think anyone on the forum would not want a HOOVER concept1,or 2, for wall to wall superior rug cleaning,even the old stand by decade 80 ,or even the famous hoover 61,62, . Of course you know that i use a silverardo in my own home,it's only 26 years old.Quite frankly Venson the vacuum pro's are really tired of the china JUNK.

As Carmine says [everything becomes a toaster for the sake of the Almighty buck.

MOLE

Venson

Reply #24   Jan 11, 2008 10:09 am
Hiya Mole,

The best part is that there are disposable bag makers who can supply high filtration bags for some of these older models.  That reduces worry for those fussy about air quality.  I have spotted one dealer on the web, vacrus.com, who sells high-filtration bags (type A) that fit the Concept 1 and Aerus has high quality firlter bags on hand for older Electroluxes prior the Renaissance .

Like they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Best,

Venson

mole

Reply #25   Jan 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Venson just a quick question for you [or anyone else],who has the vacuum contract with sears now,Is it L.G. or T.T.I. I believe PANASONIC is out of the loop now.

Thanks

MOLE

Motorhead

Reply #26   Jan 11, 2008 4:43 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Motorhead:

I assume you are in the vacuum cleaner business and hence the reason you've held a CR subscription for 10 years.  What do you think is a better consumer information guide for vacuums than CR? 

I have never been a staunch CR subscriber and reader.  I have been in and around the vacuum business all my long living life [praise be to God].  I have bought and read selected issues of CR over the past 60 years, primarily for vacuums.  I usually purchase the edition off the magazine rack.  I know many smart, well-educated, well to do people who are CR subscribers.  I have respect and admiration personally and professionally for these persons.

CR has gotten better over the years with its vacuum tests and ratings.  More in line with the consensus of vacuum industry experts and professionals.  However, I still, like you and others in the business, have many disagreements with CR when it comes to vacuums.  Be that as it may, is there, and has there ever been, a better reference guide for vacuum buying consumers on the market than CR? 

One vacuum choice that CR and I are in total agreement on is the HOOVER Tempo for $60.   Always rated in the top 10 by CR year after year.  And there are others too that we agree on.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

To clear a few things up--like a few posters here, I am not in the vacuum cleaner business, nor have I ever claimed to be...in fact I've said just the opposite before.  However, since I *am* a collector and have both old and new cleaners, as well as having had experience using *many* machines over the years and talking with many who *are* in the business as well, I have a pretty good idea on what a good machine should be.  By no means am I an "expert" on anything (and, again, I have never claimed to be one), but I do give insight/advice/etc. where I see fit.

The reason I have held a steady subscription to CR was at first because I *thought* it was a good guide for consumers.  I used to take their recommendations seriously.  My opinion of that changed early on, within the first 2-3 years of my subscription.  I noticed that the ratings were very inconsistent, and they had recommended machines I had either had, used, or seen "up close" and did not think much of.  For example, the Oreck and Kenmore Progressive, both of which I have had.  The Oreck (XL9100 to be exact), while not the worst machine as far as quality went, wasn't the best performer.  The Kenmore Progressive (one of the first from May '98) was OK, but its main flaw was the belt lifter which had the annoying habit of popping back up from the bare floor setting, due to the tension of the belt and a weak lock.  I knew that a few years after that they had eliminated the belt lifter with the 2-motor "Direct Drive" design, which somewhat justified the recommendation, but even then I didn't think it was the best (not good enough to be top rated or close behind). 

So now we come to the most recent vacuum report in the Oct. 07 issue.  Take for example the (filtered) bagless Kenmore Progressive and Hoover Windtunnel 2, rated at #3 and #4 respectively.  An "average buyer" would think that is normal, but any of us would take a second look because they are filtered bagless machines!  Machines that would no doubt clog after picking up a certain amount of test dirt (not to mention extremely messy to empty).  Yet other decent machines such as the Sebo, Riccar, and (dare I say it) Dyson DC17 rank below them!  What gives here?  And, 2 more classic "only in CR" moments occur when the Bissell HealthyHome (which is still a good cleaner and near-perfect duplicate of the Dyson) scores one above the Dyson DC17, and the Riccar SupraLite beats the 2-motor Radiance.  In the canisters category, the horrid Electrolux Oxygen ranks ABOVE the Sebo Air Belt, another one which I have used and is a fantastic machine that is very well built.  The power nozzle is literally self-propelled, it's that aggressive.  And, speaking of Electrolux, the Electrolux TwinClean, which (at least from outside appearance) uses a seemingly identical power nozzle to the Oxygen, failed the pet hair test.  CR's comment: "Our tough pet-hair test stopped it [the power nozzle] cold."  Am I to believe that two identical power nozzles earned completely different ratings on the same test?  I don't think so.  And what about that Koblenz upright which is a slightly (cosmetically) modified Sanitaire SC899, that we all know is a tried-and-true design?  It's ranked second to last.   Again, what happened?  CR's main complaint on that one is the F&G bag and how it's difficult to install.  It isn't the easiest to attach, but I've never ripped the paper fill tube on one of those, like CR claimed they did. 

One thing you will also notice, is that if you pay attention to the color-coded ratings, you'll see how they sometimes don't correspond with the overall score and ranking.  Something can receive two "good" scores in two categories, with the rest being either "very good" or "excellent", yet you have something with two "fair" scores ranking above that.  For example, how does the Dyson DC18 Slim, a new machine with one "fair" score for noise, rank below the DC07 or Hoover Savvy with 3 "fairs" each? 

What I'm pointing out are just a few of many discrepancies in the ratings.  Otherwise similar machines are ranked completely opposite of one another, and much more.  As I said, it's not just vacuums either.

CR is far from the best reference guide out there.  However, it's the most well-known, so to a certain extent it's the only one.  I'm not aware of any other consumer guides out there now, but if they do exist, they would be much too obscure for the average consumer to even give them a second look.

-MH
This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by Motorhead
mole

Reply #27   Jan 11, 2008 5:09 pm
M.H.,I am in the vacuum cleaner business,have been for many years,I'm in agreement with you on almost most counts,Consumers reports is not the the gospel on vacuums or a lot of other products, The consumer has to go on something,wheather it's read out of the book,on the internet,or talked about by family or distant cousins etc.

Would you agree that royals metal vacuums were the best made,great cleaners that thousands of dealers sold for decades,how about airway,electrolux,kirby,fairfax,silverking,.Consumer reports absolutly lambasted these companys in their reports.The only 2 left standing is aerus/electrolux,Kirby.Royals metal line is now almost extinct.Whats left,Miele and taconey,[riccar simplicity].No Dyson didnt put them under they did it themselves.Like HOOVER

Remember vacuum cleaner salesmen run the same gamut as snake oil dealers and used car salesmen,the public is not suppose to believe us.......

MOLE

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by mole
Lucky1

Reply #28   Jan 11, 2008 5:10 pm
I couldn't agree more about CR. I don't have every machine at my shop but I have personally put up the 2 motor Synergy against every upright I can and it out cleans everyone by far. In addition what's up with the ancient Miele Plus in every report. I hope they finally use the 5000 series. I feel this is by far the best canister I have used. (Sebo is great also).

I wish someone were to really do an indepth report on the Sebo Felix. Strange machine but wow what versitility! The power head of a canister, the format of an upright and a dust buster to boot. AND with a superior floor tool and adjustable power... Unfortunately people won't buy it until someone of merit reports on it.
mole

Reply #29   Jan 11, 2008 5:42 pm
Lucky1,Sebo's felix will never get a  hold on the american vacuum market,It's way 2 much money for what it is,looked at it 4 years ago and told sebo, no thanks.Sebos market is for high end vacuum buyers,and the high end X series uprights are their bread and butter machines,The C3 airbelt is not bad but are bucking heads with miele,bosch,aeus/electrolux and real decent central vacuums at that 1000.00 plus price point.Sebo should stick to the commercial market,like LINDHAUS,speaking of lindhaus does anyone still sell it.

MOLE

Motorhead

Reply #30   Jan 11, 2008 6:28 pm
Hi Mole and Lucky1,

I agree completely with what both of you said about CR leaving out certain brands, as well as the quality of other brands.  One thing I've noticed is that in the past few years they seem to be pitching Sears products in their ratings.  Also, some brands or machines they have tested in the past they no longer include, so in a way, CR has some control over their ratings as far as what models or brands they choose to test. 

Case in point:  The vacuum report in the March 1996 issue I have did a very extensive test of uprights and canisters, with a much more detailed outline of each machine than how it is now.   They tested 56 machines in all (vs. 70 in last October's issue).  But what's interesting is the machines chosen and rated.  Top rated for the canisters is, get this, the Nilfisk GS90, followed by the Miele White Pearl.  Two Eurekas (the Excalibur and World Vac) and one Hoover (PowerMax) follow it.  Kenmore wasn't seen until the 41st position, or the 8th machine down the line in the canister rankings (a Kenmore also occupied 43rd place).  For uprights, it was Sharp that topped the ratings with the Twin Energy, followed by the Hoover Power Drive Supreme, then the Kirby G4.  Kenmore uprights occupied #8 (Whispertone) and #10 (the PowerPath).

Kirby has always done well in the tests, but CR has never cared for them ("too pricey" and "too gimmicky" were some remarks).  Rainbow and Aerus (former Electrolux) have always received a low or marginal score even though I know from experience that they're both capable machines.  Why didn't they ever test recent Air-Way models, or Filter Queen?  I like the Royal metal line as well, but the last it was tested was in 1992-93 or so.  I know one of their excuses is that they prefer big-box store brands or brands readily available in most independents, but that didn't stop them from testing the Nilfisk back in '96.  And I'm wondering if the reason they're sticking to the lower-end Miele is to make sure it doesn't occupy first or second place in the canisters area like the White Pearl did.  In fact, since I noticed there is going to be an upcoming vacuum report, I wonder if they'll ever get around to testing the Dyson DC21?

One last thing I noticed is that recently, they seem to be testing the same machines over and over again.  Before (like in the 1996 reports and others around that time frame), they tested different machines each time.  The Kenmore Progressive and Eureka 4870 have been there for at least 5 years straight, not to mention the Hoover WindTunnels.  

I don't dispute that the Hoovers and Eurekas have done well through the years, as evidenced above and in even earlier reports they always have.  But it's the ratings of other machines which can't be that perfect, or low ratings of capable machines, that cause me to take a second glance.

-MH

EDIT:  Reading Mole's post about vac shop owners being like "snake oil or used car salesmen", while (like I said before) I'm not in the business, I've known people who give very honest opinions and "push" good machines to customers.  So, in that respect, as far as what should influence consumers on what vacuum to buy, I would say the opinion of a good, honest vacuum salesman who knows what is best for the customer rather than what makes the best sale would much better than reading any ratings in CR.
This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #31   Jan 11, 2008 7:39 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Carmine,

The reason I have held a steady subscription to CR was at first because I *thought* it was a good guide for consumers.  I used to take their recommendations seriously.  My opinion of that changed early on, within the first 2-3 years of my subscription.  I noticed that the ratings were very inconsistent, and they had recommended machines I had either had, used, or seen "up close" and did not think much of.  .....So now we come to the most recent vacuum report in the Oct. 07 issue...

What I'm pointing out are just a few of many discrepancies in the ratings.  ...........As I said, it's not just vacuums either.

CR is far from the best reference guide out there.  However, it's the most well-known, so to a certain extent it's the only one.  I'm not aware of any other consumer guides out there now, but if they do exist, they would be much too obscure for the average consumer to even give them a second look.

-MH

For all the reasons you describe [I excerpted a few above], I have never subscribed to CR and never will.  I was in the vacuum cleaner business all my life [and I am long in the tooth].  I must say over the years the CR ratings and rankings always gave me a good laugh on occasions.  Being in the business, I had to know what CR was saying in order to respond to customers' comments and questions about the CR vacuum information.

I can justify the expense of an occasional monthly CR magazine whether for vacuums and/or vehicles [as I recently did to assist with a new car purchase].  However, I never would waste my hard earned money on a long term CR subscription.  This is especially the case now with the wealth of information available on the internet free for the asking. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #32   Jan 11, 2008 9:44 pm
Hi,

Though I don't consider it the ultimate word, I relied on CR now and then and got a good result.  Back in the '70s a dear friend of mine had moved into an apartment in Manhattan and happened to show me the new Hoover Swingette she'd just bought.  I looked and her and said,"Uh-uh."  I explained, for the size of her place, the choice was just not worthwhile.  CR at the time recommended the Sunbeam 635 (I believe) as a "best buy" and after my explaining the downside, it's noise level, she didn't mind and got one and had it for years.  The rating offered a very clear picture of the item planned to be bought thus there were no surprises.

I also bought a set of Marantz speakers, absolutely without audition, on CR's recommendation and positively loved them.  I had them for about eight or nine years before I left the country and the friend I gave them to had them another four or five and loved them too until they just got too old to use.  The periodicals assessment of food processors, food mixers and even wall paint proved beneficial to me too.

If I have a problem with CR today maybe it's because there's a whole new crew of research people whose values I can't quite align myself with.  Reflecting our very busy, on the move society CR seems to have changed its prior view of the acceptable allowed for shortcuts.  In past it might well have made note that an upright either had or lacked tools for bare floor cleaning but today freeely give the okay to use an upright on bare flooring sans attachments -- a method I'd only suggest for quick, light duty manuevers around the house.  Issues re the bag size of bagged vacuums no longer seem of consequence and no particular fuss is made over lack of cord length. I guess what I'm trying to convey is that in past CR seemed to offer a little less condensed opinion with clearer whys and wherefores that lent to ones confidence to trust the judgements it set forth.

Regards,

Venson

Motorhead

Reply #33   Jan 11, 2008 11:28 pm
Yet another example I'll point out in the October '07 issue, that I just noticed.  I know The Maytag Legacy and Hoover Duros are identical machines (aside from the color), however, there are two machines scored between the Hoover and Maytag, and the Maytag received the better score.  The Maytag scored "fair" for noise, and the Hoover scored "fair" on handling.  They are the same...how could they handle any different!?

I believe these also are Sanyo-made.
CarmineD

Reply #34   Jan 12, 2008 7:35 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Though I don't consider it the ultimate word, I relied on CR now and then and got a good result.  Regards,

Venson

Hello Venson:

A recent episode for a product and industry wide evaluation/review that CR was on top of:  Air cleaners/purifiers and in particular the Ionic Breeze.  Despite threats and actual lawsuits by the manufacturer, CR took the product head on criticizing it for performance, safety, and making false claims.  CR was right on the money all the way up and down.  Ionic Breeze was slapped with a class action lawsuit and finally settled by paying out money to all the buyers. 

Wins like this for CR enhance its stature and credibility among readers.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 12, 2008 by CarmineD
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #35   Jan 14, 2008 2:42 am
Lucky1 wrote:
I couldn't agree more about CR. I don't have every machine at my shop but I have personally put up the 2 motor Synergy against every upright I can and it out cleans everyone by far. In addition what's up with the ancient Miele Plus in every report. I hope they finally use the 5000 series. I feel this is by far the best canister I have used. (Sebo is great also).

I wish someone were to really do an indepth report on the Sebo Felix. Strange machine but wow what versitility! The power head of a canister, the format of an upright and a dust buster to boot. AND with a superior floor tool and adjustable power... Unfortunately people won't buy it until someone of merit reports on it.

I agree on the Synergy, I have the Riccar version, the Radiance Premium and I love it.  I haven't found another portable vacuum that can outclean it.  I also have a Miele Solaris Electro Plus which is great also.  I think if some of these customers would really stop thinking that we are out there to sell them the most expensive vacuum on the market and rip them off, they would really see how much better the vacuums are that are showing them.
CarmineD

Reply #36   Feb 1, 2008 5:40 pm
Acerone wrote:

Hello Chris:

I was at the local Wal*Mart today and scoping out the vacuums.  The HOOVER Cann S3755 was on display and in stock on the shelves.  The retail price marked is $258. 

I never really took a close look [bagless are not by bag] but your comment made me curious.  I looked more carefully.  I agree with you.  It's not worth $258 and I have my doubts about $158.  Why?  The canister is cheaply made and assembled.  I had difficulty with the dirt bin removal and reinstalling.   I had to really slam it in to seal the bin in the machine well.  All the parts were there.  The automatic winder worked well.  The wands, hose and power head, especially the brush roll, were decent.  Add the cann, and it loses its appeal.  Unless the display model was faulty, I would say Consumer Reports doesn't get this pick right.  Even for $158 retail.

On the contrary, next to the HOOVER S3755 Cann was the "old" GE canister [made by Eureka with the GE name exclusively for Wal*mart].  It's been around the industry for over 6 years.  Bagged.  And for $140.  In comparison the GE is much better, although now superceded by a new version which is a coppertone color.  This particular Wal*Mart store was sold out of these.  Not even a display.   I didn't ask if more were due in, but it looked like many of the vacuums were out of stock.  Except the two dyson models which were stacked full in all the space provided.  The DC07 Original for $378 and the DC 07/14 Animal.  I'm not sure which model.  I didn't look closely and there was no display model and price except for the DC07 Original.  

While I was there a couple selected the EUREKA BOSS Smart Vac upright for purchase.  It was located right next to the dyson.  I overheard the man's comments about some of the bagless vacuums on display.  I can't repeat them here.  The comments would be censored.  He was quite satisfied with the Eureka Boss Upright and he put it in their cart.  He told his Wife [I presume she was] that the Eureka was the best....AFTER he made sure there were replacement paper bags available for sale.  There were.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Feb 1, 2008 by CarmineD
Acerone

Reply #37   Feb 1, 2008 5:57 pm
Now Carmine,

The Hoover is made by LG correct... I seen the LG online and it looks a lot like the Hoover canister...
CarmineD

Reply #38   Feb 2, 2008 7:36 am
I don't know that for a fact.  The LG may be sourced too.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #39   Feb 4, 2008 2:16 pm
Consumer Reports gives this Hoover canister [S3755/65] a best canister rating again in the March 2008 ratings and rankings.  Maybe due to the lack of cann competition.  I don't feel it is worth the retail price and/or the best canister title based on my limited review of it.  In fact, not even at $150. 

Missing from the CR cann reviews are the new and/or old GE canns sold exclusively by Wal*mart and made by Eureka.  The old GE cann, around about 6 years, was consistently rated high by CR.  This and the latest version are bagged canisters and in my opinion worth the $150, if you are so inclined to want to buy a cann in that price range.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #40   Sep 18, 2008 7:34 am
Back in the Consumer Reports ratings for October 2008 is the EUREKA Boss Smart Vac, taking 3 rd place and a CR Best Buy.

COSTCO stores which recently added the Blue model EUREKA Boss Vac, now also has the Red model.  Both priced at about $140.  With 2008 being a Presidential election year, we need to have both a Democrat and Republican model!

Financial markets are in a free fall in the USA.  Stalwart financial institutions are going belly up daily.  The US housing market is decimated.  Literally hundreds of thousands of people have lost their jobs [and homes] on Wall Street and Main Street since January of this year.   Not to mention ripple effects in London and around the globe.  And Wal*Mart stock price [which typically was priced on par with BEST BUY] is up 30 percent this year to $63 a share while BB stock price is down the same percentage at $42.  Any wonder too both colors of the EUREKA BOSS Smart Vac are being offered by COSTCO.  A $150 upright is a very desirable commodity to market right now. 

Also, the COSTCO Web Site prominently shows that the Red model EUREKA BOSS SMART Vac is rated a number one Consumers Digest Best Buy.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 18, 2008 by CarmineD
SanitaireVac

Reply #41   Oct 10, 2008 9:39 am
I wouldn't go by consumer reports, they normally don't know much about vacuums. When Hoover WindTunnel was rated #1, it was the  most commomly repair vacuum here at our vacuum shop. I would recommend a Sanitaire Vacuum. Their commercial grade and many models in your price range. Sanitaire is the commercial division or Eureka/Electrolux.  Sanitaire vacuums are durable, their made for commercial use so they last. Repairs are easy and most people replace parts themselves. Cleaning crews or cleaning services often have their Sanitaires for over 15 years.
CarmineD

Reply #42   Oct 10, 2008 2:28 pm
On the topic of Sanitaire and Eureka here is a Eureka Sanitaire model that has been a staple of Sam's Club and other big box retailers for years. Rated commercial grade and meeting all the OSHA requirements for the label.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=164028

The pictured Eureka upright also comes in a bagged version using F&G inserts.  Drawback is no attachments on board.  But for $150 for a commercial grade upright that will last 20 years, a buyer can't go wrong.

Carmine D.

Actionvac

Reply #43   Oct 22, 2008 2:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:
On the topic of Sanitaire and Eureka here is a Eureka Sanitaire model that has been a staple of Sam's Club and other big box retailers for years. Rated commercial grade and meeting all the OSHA requirements for the label.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=164028

The pictured Eureka upright also comes in a bagged version using F&G inserts.  Drawback is no attachments on board.  But for $150 for a commercial grade upright that will last 20 years, a buyer can't go wrong.

Carmine D.

That is a great vac at a great price and is one reason us in the business hate Electrolux/ Eureka, lol, although not good for bare floor, that Tempo at now I believe 70.00 or so does suprisingly well on hard surface, it will not hold up as well as high end machines but currently is probably China/Hoovers best upright 
This message was modified Oct 22, 2008 by Actionvac
CarmineD

Reply #44   Oct 22, 2008 5:33 pm
Actionvac wrote:
 that Tempo at now I believe 70.00 or so does suprisingly well on hard surface, it will not hold up as well as high end machines but currently is probably China/Hoovers best upright 

Hello Actionvac and welcome:

Several days ago, I purchased the TEMPO U5140-900 [TTI owned] from BEST BUY for $70 [regular price].  I haven't taken it out of the box yet to scope it out and use.  I purchased a TEMPO U5144-900 [MAYTAG owned] awhile back and gifted it away last year.  I was impressed with the TEMPO-MAYTAG for the price.  The TEMPO-TTI at BEST BUY seems very comparable.  

I'll compare the latest TTI owned HOOVER TEMPO product to the TEMPO-MAYTAG for quality and performance.  And I will probably post a review here after I've had a chance to peruse and use.

FWIW:  Consumer Reports always rates and ranks the HOOVER TEMPO among its top 10 uprights. 

Also FWIW, the BEST BUY store in NLV now has all the display models plugged in and ready to use.  THe HOOVER TEMPO was as good if not better than all the others on display at BEST BUY for carpet and bare floor cleaning.  Including, the latest and greatest uprights from BISSELL, EUREKA, and dyson.  The TEMPO was the least expensive of all.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 22, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #45   Oct 30, 2008 7:20 am
Actionvac wrote:
 that Tempo at now I believe 70.00 or so does suprisingly well on hard surface, it will not hold up as well as high end machines but currently is probably China/Hoovers best upright 

BTW Actionvac:  The TTI Tempo I have is made in Mexico just like the Whirlpool/Maytag HOOVER Tempo.  It's not old stock because it has the TTI Floorcare packaging and carton.  Lest the packaging is new and the unit is old?  I purchased from BEST BUY last week.  A new BB store and location that is just slightly more than a year old. 

The vacuum is a winner.  And with the exception of having a WT User Guide, which is very similar, is perfect in every way, shape, and form.  Slightly disappointed with the HOOVER customer rep.  I called to report the User Guide error and said I would download a TEMPO guide from the internet.  And I asked if this manual error was intentional because the two models were so very similar enough to use the manuals interchangeably?  His answer:  Well after you read both, you'll probably find out .  I said okay, Thank you [and his name].  An email will be going to TTI/HOOVER for that professional oversight and slip to a customer.

Carmine D.

Actionvac

Reply #46   Oct 30, 2008 11:23 am
CarmineD wrote:
BTW Actionvac:  The TTI Tempo I have is made in Mexico just like the Whirlpool/Maytag HOOVER Tempo.  It's not old stock because it has the TTI Floorcare packaging and carton.  Lest the packaging is new and the unit is old?  I purchased from BEST BUY last week.  A new BB store and location that is just slightly more than a year old. 

The vacuum is a winner.  And with the exception of having a WT User Guide, which is very similar, is perfect in every way, shape, and form.  Slightly disappointed with the HOOVER customer rep.  I called to report the User Guide error and said I would download a TEMPO guide from the internet.  And I asked if this manual error was intentional because the two models were so very similar enough to use the manuals interchangeably?  His answer:  Well after you read both, you'll probably find out .  I said okay, Thank you [and his name].  An email will be going to TTI/HOOVER for that professional oversight and slip to a customer.

Carmine D.

Its the same vacuum thats why, all parts interchange
CarmineD

Reply #47   Oct 30, 2008 1:30 pm
Actionvac wrote:
Its the same vacuum thats why, all parts interchange

Hello Actionvac:

Thanks but I'm confused.  Can you clarify?  Are you saying the TEMPO-s are the same Maytag and TTI.  Or the HOOVER TEMPO and WT are the same, hence the same User Guide?  BTW, scoping out the new HOOVER WT at Wal*Mart today [MSRP is $98] its identical to the TEMPO save switch location, tool storage case over the bag, exhaust air filter, wand location storage and longer cord [I believe, but not sure].  Rest is same same.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by CarmineD
Actionvac

Reply #48   Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Yes the same, Hoover vacuums were always produced  no matter who owned them but the motor, roller bar,housings the same yes, now the China owned company will probably stop all us production I would guess, there is nothing American about Hoover anymore as well as Royal/dirt devil , TTI as well, a lot of the Hoovers produced now most parts will not be available they will be a true disposable vacuum, what a shame
This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by Actionvac
CarmineD

Reply #49   Nov 1, 2008 9:10 am
KOHL's is advertisng a new HOOVER TEMPO model in white for $74 [before 15 percent off].  It caught my dear Wife's eye, who likes the HOOVER TEMPO that I purchased from BEST BUY, but not as much as the ORECK.  Unfortunately our TEMPO is the traditional Catalina blue.  Nice but not as much of a stand out as the new White.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #50   Nov 10, 2008 7:24 am
I took advantage of the 30 percent off sale at KOHL's and free shipping.  I purchased the new HOOVER TEMPO [in white] for $56.99 which is due to arrive between Nov 19-24.  While the Catalina blue HOOVER TEMPO models have been around since before the days of Whirlpool and TTI, the TEMPO White is a post TTI/HOOVER model.  I'll compare the White with the previous TEMPO models for similarities/differences, if any, in form and content.  And see too if it comes with the correct TEMPO User Guide!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 10, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #51   Nov 12, 2008 5:34 pm
Thanks to a California warehouse, KOHL's shipped this UPS and I received today.  Haven't opened yet but will share what I observed from the carton:  Model number is UH30015, a new series for HOOVER TEMPO-s.  Sort of resembles the Dirt Devil model numbers.  The white HOOVER TEMPO is made in Mexico but with a TTI Floorcare Glenwillow, Ohio address.  This appears for all intents and purposes to be a TTI Floorcare HOOVER TEMPO.  But still, like the MAYTAG and Whirlpool parents before, this TEMPO is made in Mexico, vice China. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #52   Nov 14, 2008 2:55 pm
Actionvac wrote:
Yes the same, Hoover vacuums were always produced  no matter who owned them but the motor, roller bar,housings the same yes,

The major diff between the HOOVER TEMPO Catalina blue and the HOOVER TEMPO White is the brush roll.  The traditional TEMPO uses the same agitator as the HOOVER WT.  The new TEMPO White uses a round wooden brush roll with bristles that is very similar to the brushrolls used in the EUREKA Whirlwind uprights.  Also, the TEMPO Owner's Manual is generic with no model name/number. 

Carmine

1legguy4you

Reply #53   Nov 14, 2008 6:10 pm
I have quite a few Vacuums to say the least.I lost my leg above the knee so I am very limited on what I can push.I HATE HATE baggless vacuums and all my Vacs are self Propelled or in the Oreck class.I just bought a Powr-flite twin fan 8 pound Vacuum its made by Tacony.People might rember it as the Bisslle Prolite but Tacony bought the rights of the design because Riccar/Simplcity dealers were mad.Why buy a the same Vacuum and pay double the price for the name.The Vacuum puts out 160 CFM and the specs they have on there site are wrong its not a 5.5 Amp motor.Mine says 7 Amps on it so that part I dont understand and Tacony wont tell me why.That Vacuum is very powerful I got mine off of Betty Mills it was 161 bucks but came with bags and free shipping.Its got a 50ft cord and the brush roll is very stiff and the belt to narrow.The fix to that is to get Oreck belts the real ones and it works great there is a light socket but hidden under the plate.I ordered the lens and light for under 12 bucks from Bisslle.I went and tested the Oreck Xl21 and dont get making a bigger machine with a bigger fan and having and 3.5 Amp motor in it.When the Plain Xl has a 4 Amp..I forgot to state that the Vacuum is under the Tornado name at BettyMills.....
This message was modified Nov 14, 2008 by 1legguy4you
Lucky1

Reply #54   Nov 14, 2008 10:13 pm
Why put an Oreck Belt on it? They are designed to be replaced every 6 months or less.
CarmineD

Reply #55   Nov 15, 2008 6:54 am
Lucky1 wrote:
Why put an Oreck Belt on it? They are designed to be replaced every 6 months or less.

1legguy4you wrote:

The fix to that is to get Oreck belts the real ones and it works great

Hello 1leggedguy4you and Lucky1:

Nice vacuum.  Good price at $161 with free shipping and bags.  It appears that the ORECK belts are made with thicker rubber than the Tornada belts.   A belt replacement  [save geared/"V"] every 6 months on a direct path upright is the customary belt maintenance/replacement.  Belts lose elasticity and dry up from heat/use and lack of use.  The ORECK belts are more expensive [$2-$3 per vice 50-70 cents for the Tornado].  I would go with the ORECK belts too. 

Where is the power switch location on the Tornado? 

One of the features I dislike about the ORECK is the hood mounted switch.  I prefer a handle/grip switch and/or a switch activated by releasing the handle.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 15, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 55 of 55View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42