Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Thinking out loud . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Thinking out loud . . .
Original Message   Dec 26, 2007 9:15 pm

Per Mole, "We just might have the next IVENTION coming out soon [THE NEW FLOOR MOP AND BROOM WITH CYCLONIC CLEANING ACTION].Interested in bankrolling the R-D for us." . . .

Well Mole, here's some stuff I'd drop my $39.95 in mad money for without a thought -- if $39.95 would do it.

I continue to throw the idea of steam cleaner use out for thinking on although I'm not all that sure the idea is "taking" in the U.S. In light of the Halo, the Hoover Floormate and other devices, I also should offer the steam cleaner/vacuum cleaner for consideration.

Steam cleaners' hot vapor can sanitize and as opposed to actual solution-applying devices like the Floormate dry almost immediately.  A boon for use on sealed wood flooring.

By way of what I see from online vending sites, steam cleaners, with or without vacuumng ability, are more of interest to the European public than to us Stateside. This is sad in that, needing only steam to clean, they can save a bundle over time on this or that detergent.  You usually only need detergent to wash the cloths you use to wipe away the dirt the machine has loosened.  The possible gains with an all-in-one machine hypothetically is having the ability to vacuum, steam clean or do both simultaneously. Think of being able to remove dust and debris from a dirty floor and also remove spills dry or wet, stuck on dirt and smudges at the same time with no detergent or chemicals in the process.  Think of hitting a bathroom and cleaning tile, countertops, the floor and the john with just one device that's not only mean on dirt but germs too.  It's a real possibility. 

The downside, obviously, is weight and, possibly, size since these machines use water for dirt and dust capture when in vacuum mode besides water for steam production. The added downside is price which is in a range usually around or above teh $1,000 mark.

715Vapor Clean Desiderio Plus Commercial Steam Cleaner, 1700 Watts, 75PSI, Continuous Fill

The devices above are respectively by Polti, Septer Int'l and Desiderio.

Machines like this might take a little getting used to but in time could catch on in the American market, maybe even encourage more vacuum makers to consider stretchng the envelope.  They do not as yet come with electric power nozzles.  AND no -- I have no affliation with any of the makers mentioned.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Dec 27, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Venson

Re: Thinking out loud . . .
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2008 12:51 pm
Hi,

In an online video of a steamer vac by GAIA, its spin on the combination vacuum/steam cleaner ran rather loud so I decided to do some asking around.  I placed a call to a dealership that handles the Desiderio (pictured above) and asked directly just how loud it is.  There were a couple seconds of silence on the other end of the line but I was told that it was no louder than most vacuums.  ??? Of course I mentioned vacuums, brand to brand, model to model, can run at all levels of sound and that I wanted to know which it was no louder than. Finally we got past the hemming and hawing and the rep informed me that it was no louder than a shop vac.  Not good for the high price being asked.  When I asked why someone would spend over $1,000 on a device that could not perform with relative quiet it went straight over the guy's head.

Deciding not to leave it there, I called a dealer who sells the Swampy2, a similar all-in-one device being sold here.  This was great because the salesman was totally forthcoming regarding the machine though he assured me that  if I was fool enough to buy one he was fool enough to sell it to me.

One, these machines in general run loud and, two, they do not perform as well when adapted for 120 volt use.  Results are much better in a 240 volt environment as in their native Europe. 

Although the idea of a combination vacuum/steam cleaner is one of great promise,  it would appear that Americanized versions of these machine for 120 use are not quite ready to go to the show yet.  On this side of the sea, two separate machines, a good vacuum cleaner and a good vapor steam cleaner are the better deal for the moment.

Regards,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #2   Jan 25, 2008 7:19 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

Although the idea of a combination vacuum/steam cleaner is one of great promise,  it would appear that Americanized versions of these machine for 120 use are not quite ready to go to the show yet.  On this side of the sea, two separate machines, a good vacuum cleaner and a good vapor steam cleaner are the better deal for the moment.

Regards,

Venson

Hello Venson:

I agree.  If it's as noisey as a shop vacuum, it's too loud especially for $1000.  I know alot of my hearing loss in one ear is due to the military but alot of hearing loss in the other ear is due to the noisey vacuums over 50 plus years.

I like the idea of a steam, non detergent, carpet vacuum, rug cleaner and drier [UV light guys are you listening].  It has to be small and light enough to use in the home on an as needed basis by anyone 12 or older.  Quiet.  Can't scare the dickins out of the dog like the dyson DC07 pink did.  And not pricey.  But good to use for stain cleaning, carpet odors and the like and to give carpet fibers their resilience back and fresh clean smell. 

Asking too much?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 25, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #3   Jan 25, 2008 2:11 pm
Hi Carmine,

I can't tell you how jealous I am of you today.  It's 24 degrees here and I may start breaking up the furniture for wood any minute now.  Anyway , while I'm reconsidering global warming . . .

Vapor steam cleaning allows a dry surface in just a matter of seconds.  Imagine that in tandem with the ability to vacuum simultaneously.  Floors in the kitchen and bath could be rid of dust, dirt and residue from spills all in one fell swoop.

I think someone will eventually come up with something that works.  We already have combination appliances like the washer-dryer, the microwave-convection oven which work well and some newer computers are now allowing the inserrtion of cable cards for television.  I wouldn't be surprised that combined features for sweeping and floor washing couldn't be worked into a central vac system.  At least one company, Aqua-Air, already produces a central unit that can flush away what is collected meaning less actual hands on maintenance.

What I don't understand sometimes is why quiet operation is not always considered an integral part of so-called quality household appliances but we are at a strange place in time as regards noise.  I ride the subway daily and am surprised, considering the level of noise while the train's moving that there are often people whose iPods are turned up so high that I can hear them as far as six to ten feet away. That's a lot of sound to be coming from just a pair of earphones but users don't appear to be the least bit bothered.  Maybe there is a large part of America that couldn't care less.

For those of us who do see operating noise level as a real issue I'd suggest, if indeed a sale not made is like a vote not cast, our motto for 2008 should be -- if it ain't quiet don't buy it.

Best,

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #4   Jan 25, 2008 3:10 pm
At least once a week I get a customer asking for a product like this. The misnomer "steamVAC" given to any carpet extractor tends to throw them. However I don't think they are willing to pay more than $300-$400 for one if even available.
Venson

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2008 5:08 pm
Hi Lucky1,

I do not have a steam vac but just a (vapor) steam cleaner.  I thoroughly agree that the price can be a major deterent to buying one.  Though all metal (about the size the low to the Eureka canisters from back in the day) I did have my misgivings, because mine was made by Fantom and I got it off HSN.  Several buyers had posted their displeasure on HSN's review page but as this model was selling new at around $200 I decided to take a chance and I'm happy I did. 

Mine continues to perform well almost three years down the line and, believe it or not Fantom, still supplies replacement cleaning pads and parts online.  The best thing is that I have the dustiest bottle of Mr. Clean known to man.  Use the proper tool for the job at hand and detergent and cleanser are not required.  Insteac of chemical catalysts, it is using pure, hot steam vapor (about 240 degrees farenheit) to clean.  I can clean sinks, the toilet, floors -- even sealed wood, tile and windows with absolutely no soap or Windex.  The only time detergent is necessary is when used cleaning cloths or pads are thrown into the wash.  I get to save some green while being green.

That said, being these usually imported devices are basically made up of a boiler, electronic thermostat and a high pressure bearing hose I do not understand why they should cost as high as a couple grand.  This to me is merely padding the bill.  The steam vapor cleaner is definitely of merit nonetheless and good models can be found in the $400 range.  (I have little interest in the little $60 to $100 carry-arounds).  At $300 or $400 you can at least rationalize the purchase by way of themoney you won't be spending on detergents for cleaning.

Best,

Venson

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42