Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson model...any info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

New Dyson model...any info?
Original Message   Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Apparently there's a new Dyson model that will be launched in February at the VDTA Convention.  I don't know any further specifics on whether or not it's going to be a canister or upright, but apparently all attendees of the show will be able to see it and place their orders.  I wonder if the $899 pricetag will be a detriment to sales, or are Americans willing to pay a premium for superior performance and space-age motor technology?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?  I'm curious to know what it is as I bought the DC21 right when it came out in March.  That and the DC17 are the only ones that impressed me so far, it will be interesting to see how this one is.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 102 - 111 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
M00seUK

Re: New Dyson model...any info?
Reply #102   Aug 26, 2008 5:46 am
Possible hints that the Dyson DC16 handheld will see a new model in time for the holiday season :-

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/article.html?in_article_id=278763&in_page_id=265

...unless they're confusing the existing DC16 motorhead for a new model.

CarmineD

Reply #103   Aug 26, 2008 6:55 am
M00seUK wrote:
Possible hints that the Dyson DC16 handheld will see a new model in time for the holiday season :-

...unless they're confusing the existing DC16 motorhead for a new model.

M00seUK:

That would be my suspicion too: The existing hand held DC16 with the motorized nozzle.  Looks like a new marketing spin tho:  Billed as a gift for the man with a boat that has rugs.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #104   Aug 26, 2008 7:08 am
The boat comment has made me consider products for this relatively niche area. Many years ago, my family used to head away to places like France in a touring caravan, for 2-3 weeks at a time. We had (I think) a Black & Decker dustbuster, which could be charged on a 9V outlet. A handheld like the Dyson DC16 Motorhead would be much more practical in this environment, for the size / power it offers. Ideally, it would also need the option to run off mains or 9V, but generally the run time would be fine for carpets / work spaces of a small caravan or boat.
This message was modified Aug 26, 2008 by M00seUK
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #105   Aug 27, 2008 3:31 pm
I read that Dyson is now going to supply the DC16 Handheld with a car charger so you don't have to wait to recharge the machine, and you can use it while it is connected to the car charger, charging.  I'm not sure which model it will be included with (I think the basic DC16 model), but it mentioned the price to be £129.99 so could be the base DC16.  It is going to be sold as a separate item for though who already have a DC16 at £29.99 I believe!  Not seen any pictures of it yet!

Just found the link:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/17125/18149/dyson-dc16-car-power-adapter.phtml

DC18

This message was modified Aug 27, 2008 by DC18
CarmineD

Reply #106   Aug 28, 2008 8:41 am
Hello DC18:

Interesting.  Thank you for the Web Site.  I'm wondering tho: The DC16 charge unit is for cars equipped with 12 volt batteries [according to the article].  Are new European cars still using 6 volt batteries?  Or now 12 volts like the USA?  And, if I'm correct and may not be, most US boats are powered by 2-12 volt [24 volts] batteries. 

Wondering if dyson plans to offer different DC16 charge units for these 3 battery venues?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 28, 2008 by CarmineD
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #107   Aug 28, 2008 7:12 pm
Hi Carmine D

Your welcome. Thought it might be of general interest to everyone.  I'm not sure what volt battery European Cars use, UK cars use 12 volt batteries!  It interesting this has come about, as it coinsides with a Boat Show they are appearing at in the UK!  I asked the Dyson Rep on the Dyson stand at the Motorshow in London as I've heard rumour there is to be a corded hand held from Dyson, but I was told no what would be the point, it wouldn't be as vesitile as the cordless one!  See their point but I would like to see one!  The charge unit contradicts the idea that the Dyson Rep said to me and Dyson original idea for this model.  Used for quick cleanups and spills.  I think people are wanting to use it for longer jobs and find it easier to use therefore wanting longer than the present 6 minute charge!  Hence the car charger where you can use it constantly without having to charge it up, effectively like it having a mains cord!

I do like mind for quick jobs around my home and car!  It comes in handy!

Be interesting to see if they plan to offer different charge units!  Probably not at first!  

DC18

CarmineD

Reply #108   Aug 29, 2008 6:39 am
DC18, M00seUK:

Good information.  Thank you for sharing. 

To my knowledge, no USA vacuum maker has ever marketed a car/boat hand held vacuum cleaner using power from the battery, save some specialty models but no name vacuum brands.  Usually these were not very good performers and didn't have very good sales.  Dyson is bucking the trend.  Interesting to see how well the DC16 with the car battery charger/power actually performs.  Do you have any knowledge of its operating worth using this venue?

Carmine D.

Motorhead

Reply #109   Aug 29, 2008 11:05 am
I too would like to see Dyson introduce a corded hand vac, or at least an optional adapter to run the machine full-time.  Would certainly justify the price a lot more, for most applications.  As much of a Dyson fan as I am, I can't see paying $160 for a glorified Dustbuster, i.e. a vacuum that only runs for a short time.  My thought when the DC16 was introduced was that it was going to be a "real" hand vac that could be used for a lot more than just quick pick-ups.  The DC16 Motorhead could be a very good contender for upholstery and car cleaning (perhaps even mattress cleaning), as well as small jobs, if either the run time was extended or it was corded. 

-MH

P.S.  Sorry I have not posted in a while, I'm sort of disappointed at the lack of activity here lately.  We need to get more interesting discourse going, both Dyson-related and non-Dyson-related
This message was modified Aug 29, 2008 by Motorhead
Venson

Reply #110   Aug 29, 2008 2:35 pm
Motorhead wrote:
I too would like to see Dyson introduce a corded hand vac, or at least an optional adapter to run the machine full-time.  Would certainly justify the price a lot more, for most applications.  As much of a Dyson fan as I am, I can't see paying $160 for a glorified Dustbuster, i.e. a vacuum that only runs for a short time.  My thought when the DC16 was introduced was that it was going to be a "real" hand vac that could be used for a lot more than just quick pick-ups.  The DC16 Motorhead could be a very good contender for upholstery and car cleaning (perhaps even mattress cleaning), as well as small jobs, if either the run time was extended or it was corded. 

-MH

P.S.  Sorry I have not posted in a while, I'm sort of disappointed at the lack of activity here lately.  We need to get more interesting discourse going, both Dyson-related and non-Dyson-related

Hi MH,

I have always wondered how many of the DC16 sold.  I see them on store shelves but can't believe that they selling well as I don't see them as a practical expense -- especially due to the short operation time. 

Does anybody know how long you might run one off your car battery without it being a serious drain on juice?  Better yet, how much is involved in making a vesion that has a built-in voltage adjustment like some electric razors and laptop computers?  A built-in adapter that could handle voltage input between 12v and 220v would make the asking price a little more easy to take.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #111   Aug 30, 2008 6:52 am
Dyson missed the boat, pardon the pun, with the DC16's operation and marketing.

Recently, I did some work at my daughter's house and made a mess before and after the job was complete.  I took along my 1970 HOOVER Swingette to do the cleaning up before and after.  Tho I would have preferred a hand held non-corded like the DC16 for the tasks.  Not with a 6 minute charge for $150 [straight suction] and $200 [revolving brush]. 

I think dyson missed the market for its hand held: Contractors and home improvement repair persons.  But before the DC16 can survive in this venue, it needs a longer run time.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 30, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 102 - 111 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42