Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

Shop-Vac EasyLift
Original Message   Nov 21, 2007 10:42 pm
Thought I'd post about a new machine on the shelves at Lowe's I picked up today.

I was at Lowe's to get a few things and of course I had to check out what was new (if anything) in the appliance area.  Laundry & kitchen appliances pretty much unchanged; vacuums appeared to be the same as they were the last time I had to go here (August) until I glanced upward near the top of the shelf.  Couldn't tell much by the box but I saw enough to notice it was a lightweight upright by Shop-Vac, something I had not seen before.  It must have arrived there recently as there was also no floor model present or any boxes near the ground.  I got one of the nearby employees to get one down and I was able to look at the box up close.  Noticed the name, EasyLift, and that it definitely was designed to compete with Oreck...there was no mistaking the appearance!  It was also a design I had not seen before, either.  I need another vacuum like another hole in the head, but this one looked neat and I thought it would be interesting to play with for a little while, so I headed toward the register with the box.  The price was $149, not the cheapest vacuum I've ever purchased, but by no means the most expensive and figured what the heck.  Headed out and I was $150 lighter, but with a new toy. 

I had also heard about the TTI-made lightweights being introduced under different names as well; the only one I had seen was the Aerus Lux Lite which I also had a chance to use and liked.  So after I left Lowe's with the new purchase I then headed to two different Wal-Marts (each in different towns) in search of a possible Dirt Devil-labeled version.  No such luck, same offerings as last time, although I was able to come away with some bags for my Sharp EC-3320.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks it will be there; we shall see.  At any rate, I want one badly as I think it's a great machine and a breeze to push...maybe I'll just have to drive to the nearest Kohl's or OfficeMax for the Hoover or Royal labeled version in a couple of weeks.  Those I believe list for $250 though some stores will probably mark them down.

So, after a couple of hours of running around, I brought the EasyLift home.  Opened the box, removed the papers, and pulled the machine out.  Removed the cardboard from the base and there it was, no assembly needed.  My first thoughts were A. This handle grip sure is cheesy, B. The nozzle is smaller than I thought, and C. Why did I buy this thing again?  I examined the machine more thoroughly and noticed it had an interesting bag arrangement.  It attaches to the bottom of the outer bag like a canister bag would, and I believe the bag is self-sealing though I did not remove it.  That would all be normal except the machine is direct air.  Strange!  And that was my main concern right there:  how hard are the bags to locate, and how hard will they be to locate in the future...I'll probably go to Lowe's again and see if I can find any, and if I do, stock up.  Not that I plan on using this machine often, but still.  I opened the outer bag and made sure the paper bag was attached, then plugged in the reasonably long cord (which is also fairly thick for a low-amperage machine).

I've used many vacuums, both loud and quiet alike, and this one puts out quite a racket (especially for a power nozzle with a fan and bag) which holds true to the Shop-Vac name!  In fact it would not surprise me if they took an original-series Shop-Vac motor and simply mounted it to a direct-air fan, because that's what it sounds like (albeit at a higher RPM since there's less drag).  Of course like any lightweight the sound also resembles an Oreck somewhat.  I got down and could feel the brushroll against the carpet (to me the brushroll resembles that of the Tacony-made lightweights, with fairly stiff bristles), although I wasn't sure how much it was picking up.  The back room is a high-traffic area and there's quite a bit of sand in the rug, but I didn't hear any going through the machine while I pushed it, probably because I had used my Hoover 634 with a fresh bag the previous day and picked up a considerable amount of sand.  Continued going around the back room, and then moved to the large rugs in both the living room and one of the bedrooms.  Later on, I noticed some fresh cat hair in the back room, so I decided to go over the back room again, this time more slowly.  It was definitely picking up, because the dust and hair I collected formed into a ball and I could both hear and feel it flying around in the bag.  We'll have to see how it does over the next few days.  Overall, it isn't the worst machine I've used and *is* a better value than the Oreck, though it could certainly use some improvement in some areas.  One thing I notice is that it is difficult to push, especially if you're going against the direction of the pile...this could be due to the small rear wheels, those need to be larger.  The handle grip could also be beefed up.  If you're wondering what it looks like, I don't have any pictures yet, but it's blue, with a blue bag, and an LED headlight powered by the brushroll (in similar fashion to the Kirby indicator light).  The main handle is aluminum, and a flexible 11/4" hose connects the nozzle to the bag, interesting for a direct-air machine.  The height adjustment is 2-position for carpets or bare floors; strangely enough, when you move the selector over to the bare floor position, it raises the front wheels up, probably to keep the brushroll from touching the floor. 

Has anyone seen this before, and if you have, what are your thoughts on it? 

Happy Thanksgiving!

-MH
This message was modified Nov 21, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Shop-Vac EasyLift
Reply #2   Nov 22, 2007 12:07 am
Hi DIB,

That's the one, didn't think about checking the site until now to see if it was on there.  Interesting-looking machine isn't it?  The appearance is deceiving when it comes to the nozzle...it looks bigger in the picture than it really is.  It's actually very low-profile and quite shallow in depth, does great under furniture.  I'll have to take it apart to see how big the fan is, and run it with the belt off to compare the airflow to my ancient Oreck.  Will keep you posted as to which one seems more powerful, and I think I should submit a review as well.

I love how it claims to be "Super Quiet"...compared to what, a jet engine?  ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving,
MH
This message was modified Nov 22, 2007 by Motorhead
sfosweeperuser

Reply #3   Nov 22, 2007 12:10 pm
Have been planning to go to a Lowe's in a nearby city.  Having seen the picture here and reading Motorhead's excellent detailed information about the Easy Lift, I'm anxious to check one out.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #4   Nov 23, 2007 8:44 pm
I saw this Shop Vac a few weeks ago at its introduction.  It is not even available at every Lowe's at this point.

I can say this vacuum cleaner is not all that great.   It is very cheaply made.  Not up to standards of the Tacony, ORECK, or even TTI-made machines. 

I had unzipped the outer bag to look at the paper bag and could not believe the bag arrangement.  

I was surprised to see that the warranty is for 5yrs. 

I found some problems w/ this machine.

If people cannot afford a Tacony-made machine, I would just encourage them to purchase TTI's HOOVER or Royal version.  This is a good performing vacuum cleaner, that is well made.  I still believe that you cannot go wrong w/ a Riccar or Simplicity.  People are very happy w/them.

The Shop Vac.com info is very new, because it was not available at the time of the vacuum's intro.
adrienne

Reply #5   Feb 3, 2008 8:43 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Thought I'd post about a new machine on the shelves at Lowe's I picked up today.<BR><BR>I was at Lowe's to get a few things and of course I had to check out what was new (if anything) in the appliance area.  Laundry &amp; kitchen appliances pretty much unchanged; vacuums appeared to be the same as they were the last time I had to go here (August) until I glanced upward near the top of the shelf.  Couldn't tell much by the box but I saw enough to notice it was a lightweight upright by Shop-Vac, something I had not seen before.  It must have arrived there recently as there was also no floor model present or any boxes near the ground.  I got one of the nearby employees to get one down and I was able to look at the box up close.  Noticed the name, EasyLift, and that it definitely was designed to compete with Oreck...there was no mistaking the appearance!  It was also a design I had not seen before, either.  I need another vacuum like another hole in the head, but this one looked neat and I thought it would be interesting to play with for a little while, so I headed toward the register with the box.  The price was $149, not the cheapest vacuum I've ever purchased, but by no means the most expensive and figured what the heck.  Headed out and I was $150 lighter, but with a new toy.  <BR><BR>I had also heard about the TTI-made lightweights being introduced under different names as well; the only one I had seen was the Aerus Lux Lite which I also had a chance to use and liked.  So after I left Lowe's with the new purchase I then headed to two different Wal-Marts (each in different towns) in search of a possible Dirt Devil-labeled version.  No such luck, same offerings as last time, although I was able to come away with some bags for my Sharp EC-3320.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks it will be there; we shall see.  At any rate, I want one badly as I think it's a great machine and a breeze to push...maybe I'll just have to drive to the nearest Kohl's or OfficeMax for the Hoover or Royal labeled version in a couple of weeks.  Those I believe list for $250 though some stores will probably mark them down.<BR><BR>So, after a couple of hours of running around, I brought the EasyLift home.  Opened the box, removed the papers, and pulled the machine out.  Removed the cardboard from the base and there it was, no assembly needed.  My first thoughts were A. This handle grip sure is cheesy, B. The nozzle is smaller than I thought, and C. Why did I buy this thing again?  I examined the machine more thoroughly and noticed it had an interesting bag arrangement.  It attaches to the bottom of the outer bag like a canister bag would, and I believe the bag is self-sealing though I did not remove it.  That would all be normal except the machine is direct air.  Strange!  And that was my main concern right there:  how hard are the bags to locate, and how hard <span style="font-style: italic;">will</span> they be to locate in the future...I'll probably go to Lowe's again and see if I can find any, and if I do, stock up.  Not that I plan on using this machine often, but still.  I opened the outer bag and made sure the paper bag was attached, then plugged in the reasonably long cord (which is also fairly thick for a low-amperage machine).<BR><BR>I've used many vacuums, both loud and quiet alike, and this one puts out quite a racket (especially for a power nozzle with a fan and bag) which holds true to the Shop-Vac name!  In fact it would not surprise me if they took an original-series Shop-Vac motor and simply mounted it to a direct-air fan, because that's what it sounds like (albeit at a higher RPM since there's less drag).  Of course like any lightweight the sound also resembles an Oreck somewhat.  I got down and could feel the brushroll against the carpet (to me the brushroll resembles that of the Tacony-made lightweights, with fairly stiff bristles), although I wasn't sure how much it was picking up.  The back room is a high-traffic area and there's quite a bit of sand in the rug, but I didn't hear any going through the machine while I pushed it, probably because I had used my Hoover 634 with a fresh bag the previous day and picked up a considerable amount of sand.  Continued going around the back room, and then moved to the large rugs in both the living room and one of the bedrooms.  Later on, I noticed some fresh cat hair in the back room, so I decided to go over the back room again, this time more slowly.  It was definitely picking up, because the dust and hair I collected formed into a ball and I could both hear and feel it flying around in the bag.  We'll have to see how it does over the next few days.  Overall, it isn't the worst machine I've used and *is* a better value than the Oreck, though it could certainly use some improvement in some areas.  One thing I notice is that it is difficult to push, especially if you're going against the direction of the pile...this could be due to the small rear wheels, those need to be larger.  The handle grip could also be beefed up.  If you're wondering what it looks like, I don't have any pictures yet, but it's blue, with a blue bag, and an LED headlight powered by the brushroll (in similar fashion to the Kirby indicator light).  The main handle is aluminum, and a flexible 11/4&quot; hose connects the nozzle to the bag, interesting for a direct-air machine.  The height adjustment is 2-position for carpets or bare floors; strangely enough, when you move the selector over to the bare floor position, it raises the front wheels up, probably to keep the brushroll from touching the floor.  <BR><BR>Has anyone seen this before, and if you have, what are your thoughts on it?  <BR><BR>Happy Thanksgiving!<BR><BR>-MH
adrienne

Reply #6   Feb 3, 2008 8:49 pm
Hi Motorhead. You requested other thoughts on the ShopVac liftup vacuum ....
Today, I purchased and returned the vacuum to Lowes. It is exactly as you said...it picked up nicely BUT that is where the benefits ended. The motor is so loud that my husband, for the first time ever, asked me to return it, before he closed the door so he could hear the tv. Also, the cord is so $#%*bersome that is really does get in the way. It is not made to get corners either. I do like the light on the front. One other issue I had was that 2 bags cost $9.95, which is a bit pricey.
What vacuum at a reasonable price with a bag do you suggest. I did have an Oreck and that too, I found for pet hair, isn't all that is it advertised to be.
Motorhead

Reply #7   Feb 3, 2008 9:06 pm
Sorry to hear about your negative experience with the EasyLift.  As I mentioned previously, it's one of the loudest vacuums I've used. 

For a better bagged lightweight, I would suggest the Hoover Clean & Light at Kohl's; I believe it's also badged as a Royal lightweight at Office Depot.  I've used them and they are great machines with decent-sized motors and fans, it proves that you can make a lightweight machine and still have it be a real vacuum cleaner.  2-3 times the power of an Oreck, easily.  It's TTI-made, but they must have good confidence in it, as it's also sold by Aerus as the Lux Lite.

Hope this helps,
-MH
mole

Reply #8   Feb 4, 2008 10:01 am
I sell the the machine that motorhead is recomending to you.Well we actually dont sell them we give them away to our customers who want a cheap upright along with their  central vacuum,sort of like a premium gift.

I tell the customer to give it away as a gift [to someone they dont like].They work well for about 10 minuets........

MOLE

Just

Reply #9   Feb 4, 2008 2:24 pm
I have not used or even seen this vac yet but was did look on the link  given above.

I did kind of chuckle when all the reviews here refer to the sound level of the machine being extremely loud.  Yet on the link it is referred to as "Super quiet".  Talk about spin doctors in the ad business.

DeeDee29

Reply #10   Apr 29, 2008 4:32 pm
WHERE do you see that it is "Super Quiet"?  I have not seen that claim anywhere and I don't think it is a claim that they are making.  I haven't seen it anywhere and don't see a link above that the last poster is referring to.
Just

Reply #11   Apr 30, 2008 1:50 pm
DeeDee29 wrote:
WHERE do you see that it is "Super Quiet"?  I have not seen that claim anywhere and I don't think it is a claim that they are making.  I haven't seen it anywhere and don't see a link above that the last poster is referring to.

Since I am pretty sure my reading skills are ok, one can only assume in the last five or six months the description was changed by the manufacturer.  Possibly to be a little more in the line of "truth in advertising"

BTW--This vac is no longer listed on the Lowe's website, nor in the store I was in Saturday.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42