Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > LG Kompressor ad banned, called “Lazy Engineering”…

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Nov 15, 2007 6:44 pm
Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Lucky1

Reply #9   Jan 2, 2008 10:31 am
Since bagless vacuum manufacturers suggest emptying their dust bins into a bag why doesn't someone invent a vacuum that has a bag attached to the dust bin!
DysonInventsBig

Reply #10   Jan 3, 2008 1:56 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi DIB,

Your effort I thank you for but I am just plain tired of claims and prolonged debates re claims of "no loss of suction,"no dust whatsoever," not to mention cylcones and whirlwinds everywhere from everybody.  You can throw in the sanitizing power of UV lights that no one will ever learn to apply properly for dust mite elimination -- unless it's employed in some sort timed robotic device.  Hello Roomba?

• Helo Venson, I have much to say about manufactures selling/conning folks with their “fool the public into thinking we have Dyson-like technologies” whirlwinds and cyclones, but will talk of Dyson.  The only prolonged debates, etc. of Dyson “no loss claims” are found here and one or two other vacuum cleaner forums where vacuum types chat.  The larger reality is, Dyson competitors cannot stop Dyson from making his “no loss of suction” claim, both here in the US via NAB and in the UK via ASA.  NAB and ASA have seen the evidence from Dyson and heard the complaints from his competitors and have made their decisions long ago in favor of Dyson.  Most importantly, the vast majority of Dyson owners who freely review their Dyson’s at review sites don't care of their Dyson pre-motor filter clogging after months of use.  They never or nearly never discuss or complain of this.

Neither company in contention, has a mouth that's a prayer book. It is not necessarily up to LG to come up with a solution -- just because the claim it made fell flat.  Let Dyson get on the band wagon too.  I don't see a solution for this coming any time soon.  Unfortunately, methods like compression of the dry contents of the dustbin plus a prescribed amount of moisture to inhibit loose dust from flying just prior to emptying would like prove as much a chore and annoyance to deal with for the average user.

• No one held a gun to LG’s head and demanded a “no dust when empting, invention”.  LG simply invented flipper “technology”, smashing and praying dust blocks pour out of the bin instead of dust plumes from the bin and high efficient collection chambers when empting.  Dyson’s formula of inventing has paid big dividends thus far, I do not see him chasing after what looks to be unsolvable.

There's not a manufacturer, even of machines I  like, that can be painted in a saintly shade.  It should be admitted that bagless vacuums and bagged vacuums with certain types of bags will provide annoyance and nuisance come time to empty and that these same machines are probably not a good fit for those with allergies or high sensitivity to household dust. 

• People with or parents of children with high sensitivities to dust, etc. need knowledge.  Dyson could and should provide video showing how easy it is to dump their vacuums contents with little dust being released, but amazingly does not!  Folks should get a bag or bagless vacuum after being fairly informed from both sides.

That said, having long in a world with a myriad of vacuum cleaners, all purported to broach all matter of the same old problems in "special" ways, the bottom line is, can the darn things clean and contain what they clean.  No matter whether the machine requires a ritual to get it up and going or can just be snatched out of the closet and good to go, what's the result? Good or bad?  To be or not to be," is still not the question.  "Can you do it the way I like when I want it done," is. 

• Agreed!  Products should just work as advertised.  Regarding “special ways”. - Blame the manufactures!  There is plenty to invent but the NIH attitudes run deep. – Good news for Dyson.        DIB

If a given vacuum can merely produce satisfying results for its owner, the world is a happy place even at the cost of a snootful of dust now and then.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #11   Jan 4, 2008 1:43 pm
In regards to bagless vacuums being unhealthy for those with health problems the hazard goes further than just emptying them. As you vacuum, dust escapes from the seals, power cords etc. Spewing dust into the air in your home. Dyson included. Even if your vacuum has a bag and says HEPA filter, unless you have a "sealed system" like a Miele, Simplicity or a few Sanitaire models you will have air leakage.
Motorhead

Reply #12   Jan 4, 2008 1:56 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
In regards to bagless vacuums being unhealthy for those with health problems the hazard goes further than just emptying them. As you vacuum, dust escapes from the seals, power cords etc. Spewing dust into the air in your home. Dyson included. Even if your vacuum has a bag and says HEPA filter, unless you have a "sealed system" like a Miele, Simplicity or a few Sanitaire models you will have air leakage.

Dust escapes from the power cords, huh??!?!?!?  Where do you get your information?  I'm cracking up at that one.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.  It is the user who controls how much dust a bagless vacuum stirs up on emptying.  If it is emptied PROPERLY (meaning not just "dumping it"), the "dust cloud" will be drastically reduced if not eliminated altogether.  And yes, it can be done, the dust just has to be "poured" out, and if there's a trapdoor on the bin, you have to hold it and let it empty out slowly.  Dumping it out with force is just begging for a dust cloud, as well as the coughing and gagging that results ;-)

As you said, if it is not a self-sealing bag, a bagged machine has an equal opportunity to cause a dust cloud.  One of the reasons why I try to fold the fill tube or collar inward before putting it in the trash.

-MH
This message was modified Jan 4, 2008 by Motorhead
mole

Reply #13   Jan 4, 2008 3:23 pm
And the next way of bin emptying will even be easier,take the bin off your DYSON,drive down the highway, open your drivers window hit the trigger and get the drivers behind you all pissed off.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #14   Jan 4, 2008 5:04 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Since bagless vacuum manufacturers suggest emptying their dust bins into a bag why doesn't someone invent a vacuum that has a bag attached to the dust bin!

It's been done and even better.   No need to dump the bin into a bag.  It's done automatically.  And called a vacuum cleaner with a bag.    Beats all the nonsense to avoid the hassle to dump and the residual dirt and dust clouds spewing into the air and all over.  And no pet hairs remaining stuck to the bin and bin components, like the shroud, after dumping.

I recall watching a dyson video at one of the large retailers showing the user dumping the dirt bin on a DC07.  Clever videoing.   Firstly, the bin was not full, not even half, not even one quarter.  Secondly, the user held the bin over the waste pail at a very small angle to allow the dirt to cascade slowly down the dyson dirt bin into the pail.  [A previous poster on this thread called this dumping method the "pouring" technique. ]  Finally, as soon as the dust cloud emerged from the pail [using the pouring technique], the video panned away to avoid the dirt/dust cloud.   I suppose you can have a "mistter" built into the pail which is activated by a dust sensor that will spray water over the contents to keep from spewing back into the air.    That's been done already too.  It's called a Rexair/Rainbow and makes mud.  Is it any wonder that CR and all doctors with patients who are sensitive to dirt/dust vehemently advise against bagless vacuums?  The answer is a resounding "No."

I recall seeing a dyson dirt bin dumped with no after effects when watching James Dyson do it.  He was demoing a brand new DC15 Ball at the NBC studios as part of a nationwide news report and coverage of the vacuum's launch.  The news studio office was brand new with new low pile carpet.  The DC15 picked up nothing after several passes by James.  When James removed the bin for dumping, NOTHING came out.   Not only was there no dust cloud, there was nothing period!   My sense is that dyson would have preferred if the dust cloud would have appeared, at least it would have given the viewers an indication that the DC15 picked up something.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 4, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #15   Jan 4, 2008 6:47 pm
Lucky1 wrote:

If Dyson’s leak dust as you claim, then why do researchers give him the “Asthma Friendly” seal of approval?  Dyson's do not leak dust under normal circumstances.  I'm not linking in hopes to convert the vacuum hardcore types but I do encourage all folks who simply want to know about Dysons (before making a vacuum purchase) to look at the research.        DIB

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #16   Jan 5, 2008 2:06 am
Lucky1 wrote:

I vote for simply putting it in a filtrete bag to begin with.  Works fine and actually keeps the insides of the vacuum cleaner.
CarmineD

Reply #17   Jan 5, 2008 6:50 am
Vacuuman wrote:
I vote for simply putting it in a filtrete bag to begin with.  Works fine and actually keeps the insides of the vacuum cleaner.

I second that motion. 

I'm very impressed with the quality of the vacuum cleaner paper bags on the market today.  Originals and replacements.  I find from my own experience that vacuums with full-bag indicators allow more bag capacity to be used up before engaging when good quality filter paper bags are used in the vacuums.  And the vacuum maintains decent suction right up to the point of a new bag replacement.  Plus the prices of the filter bags are more reasonable and affordable than the bagless vacuum filters [IMHO], which are a rip-off.   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 5, 2008 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #18   Jan 7, 2008 1:37 pm
If you hold a Laser Particle Counter near seals, cord winders etc on vacuums that are not sealed systems you will get various counts of particulant matter. FACT.

As for approvals and certifications by agencies we all know they can be distorted to fit the company needs. I have personally seen meter readings. If they are acceptable to you than fine. I however feel I HAVE to tell my customers the facts, pluses or minuses about machines. I don't know why Dyson is such a touchy subject for many. I read of lot's of happy customers and I have many people come into my shop telling me how much they hate their Dyson. Along with the panasonic I think they are the best of the bagless and in a good price point.

THEY LEAK DUST ... while vacuuming and disposing. Scoffing at or denying that fact is irrelevant. The real question is: Is that acceptable to you? If so, by all means buy a bagless.

I also think serviceability, availability of parts and can a local shop fix my vacuum or do I have to send it back to the manufacturer, should also be important when purchasing.
Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42