Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > LG Kompressor ad banned, called “Lazy Engineering”…

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Nov 15, 2007 6:44 pm
Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Motorhead

Reply #1   Nov 15, 2007 7:34 pm
Nasty...I'm sneezing just watching it.  I have to agree about the "lazy engineering" part...in this case the engineering is encouraging the user to be lazy by not emptying the machine often!  I guess LG's intention, however, was an attempt (might I add a horrible one) at addressing the main reason those who prefer bagged machines don't like bagless...the "messy to empty" complaint.  That seems to be the #1 attack in anti-bagless ads.  My answer to that is no vacuum is perfect, or will ever be.  It all depends on what you're looking for.  If you don't want to handle dirt, then the Filtrete bag is for you, but power will eventually drop off as the bag gets full.  If you don't mind the *possibility* of handling dirt, but want constant power that does not drop off under any circumstances, then go with a cyclonic bagless.  For me, I like the idea of the machine delivering peak performance the entire time I'm using it.

I empty my Dyson frequently (I have a DC21 canister; usually I empty it after each use, but if what I'm cleaning is really dirty I empty it halfway through as well) and have never had any instances of a dust cloud as depicted in the ad.  On a true cyclonic bagless machine if you empty it often (and be sure to tap the bin to loosen any dust trapped in the cyclones before emptying), it really does not kick up as much dust as one would think.  But that's the key, though...Empty. It. OftenAnyone who lets the bin get full is just begging for a mess when they finally do empty it! 

As for a filtered bagless, forget it...the epitome of dust-spewing, clogging monstrosities.  If I can't have a Dyson, give me a bagged machine any day over one of those. 

Edit:  I found out just now that this uses a similar (if not identical) cyclone setup as the new Kenmore PremaLite.  So I guess it does have some potential as a cleaner, but YUK, that dirt-compression idea is just repulsive.  That second video (and the ensuing dustcloud) will probably give me nightmares for the next week...

This message was modified Nov 16, 2007 by Motorhead
Venson

Reply #2   Nov 16, 2007 9:44 am
Hi Motorhead,

I see it the other way.  The ideal appliance is the one that does its job well with the least requirement for fussing about by the user.  Yes, it is better that vacuum users empty dust containers or change bags often but that is not always possible or practical.  Bottom line, it's simply about getting the job done.

Vacuumng is just another chore to most and all that is usually expected is that the "machine" solves their carpet keeping problems with the least passes in the least time.  A good vacuum should not require a lot of extra actions to maintain an optimum level of operation during a cleaning session.  An emptying after use should be enough except for special circumstances like cleaning up very powdery substances.

Regards,

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #3   Dec 21, 2007 12:49 pm
"Clean Out Cycone Box Daily"...

I took these pics of a city truck vacuuming storm drains before our first big forcasted rain hit.  The workers enjoyed hearing how Dyson uses the same cyclones on his vacuums.        DIB

This message was modified Dec 21, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Motorhead

Reply #4   Dec 21, 2007 3:47 pm
Very cool, I love seeing those giant cyclone separators on dust collectors and other applications.  I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a brochure posted somewhere of a 1920's-1930's Spencer Turbine central vacuum.  Among the standard features was, yes, cyclone separation with a cyclone just like the one pictured here, connected in line to the system!  It appeared that the machine had one, although in another picture it showed two connected, a primary and secondary.  I'm trying to remember when these were first produced; either the early teens or the turn of the century...so that technology has been around for almost 100 years, just amazing!
This message was modified Dec 21, 2007 by Motorhead
Venson

Reply #5   Dec 22, 2007 8:16 pm
Hi all,

A techinally perfect maintenance regimen will never be followed by the larger part of vacuum owners whether bagged or bagless.  That will not happen until the coming of the coming of the Kingdom when we'll run and never get tired AND ALSO vacuum no more.  Get my drift?

Until then, the onus to produce machines that bring about the least dust exposure to the user in the process is not upon the maker of Earth and sky but simply the guys who put the darn rhings on the market.  Dyson has only gained back up here in that LG may not say its dust exposure during maintenance is no less upon emptying than any other brand.  To the thinking mind. that's really adds up to a big, "So what."

The bagless vacuum regardless of maker has yet to bring us to a perfect place.  The average consumer who will use a bagless machine several times until it appears obvious he or she should do something will do just that.  However, I'd hope that the manufacturers would be moved toward making that easier.  As for bagged machines, Electrolux, not necessarily my favorite machine, has been a hard act to follow as far as ingenuity goes.  The self-sealing "dust wrapper" -- forget the itty-bitty size -- is still a hard act to follow.

I live in an apartment, and emptying a bagless vac, a wide-mouth bagged vac or a permanent bag using vac indoors is still only something I do to avoid having to go downstairs and outside come winter cold.  As a consumer, I am oh so unimpressed by lawsuit judgements that merely thwart the path of language this way or that.  I am moved to buy by from appliance makers who can help me do what I may not like in a way that make it appear as nothing.  You don't see much of that.

Anyway . . .  though we will probably never find the perfect contraption that might cause any of our day-to-day household tasks to seem painless, may we at least rise a little more toward loving each other well.

Peace on Earth, good will toward men and though I've probably forgotten overlooked something in my wish making -- amen,

Venson

mole

Reply #6   Dec 23, 2007 11:18 am
Hi Venson, We just might have the next IVENTION coming out soon [THE NEW FLOOR MOP AND BROOM WITH CYCLONIC CLEANING ACTION].Interested in bankrolling the R-D for us.

Happy Holidays.

Stay well.

MOLE/O.T.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #7   Dec 24, 2007 2:55 am

Venson,

Hello.  There was no lawsuit (I think this is what you were saying Dyson used to stop LG from making false claims), just a complaint by Dyson and the ASA agreed here.  The next big step/invention/innovation/problem that needs solving is, amongst others, the eliminating of the dust plume when empting a “bagless canister”.  Multi-million and multi-billion dollar corporations have not figured/invented a no-dust-when-empting-the-bin contraption.  So what gives LG the right to lie and say they invented the fix, therefore consumers should not purchase any other makers vacuum just their LG Kompresor – “the dust free system/invention”.  I say good for Dyson or Joe Blow.  I do not care who or whom speaks up and says LG is intentionally lying.  Again the $1.2 billion dollar “David” fell the $38.5 billion “Goliath”.  Lesson learned, LG should actually invent a dust free dumping system versus claiming they invented a dust free dumping system.  Shame, shame LG.  After looking at their tv commercial frame by frame here.  The actor in the commercial who is dumping his LG bins contents has NO DUST WHAT SO EVER inside the high efficiency collection chamber.  One, two, three, four or five vacuumings and no dust in these chambers means LG cleaned this chamber before filming so little or no dust plume is seen in the commercial therefore intentionally and knowingly advertised a lie.        DIB

For those outside this forum/group who want to empty their Dyson’s without getting dusty…

• Use a plastic bag when empting the bins contents as per the Dyson manual.  Or...
  • Place an upright, opened paper bag on the ground outdoors.  Put your cyclone/bin into this bag and keep ½” above bag/floor.  Press drop away door trigger.  Notice no dust or minimal dust plume.  Lift and slightly shake slowly lifting and dropping/empting the contents (dirt). That’s it.  If breezy then do this upwind.  It is not a “green” solution but it works.

This message was modified Dec 25, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #8   Dec 25, 2007 8:13 pm
Hi DIB,

Your effort I thank you for but I am just plain tired of claims and prolonged debates re claims of "no loss of suction,"no dust whatsoever," not to mention cylcones and whirlwinds everywhere from everybody.  You can throw in the sanitizing power of UV lights that no one will ever learn to apply properly for dust mite elimination -- unless it's employed in some sort timed robotic device.  Hello Roomba?

Neither company in contention, has a mouth that's a prayer book. It is not necessarily up to LG to come up with a solution -- just because the claim it made fell flat.  Let Dyson get on the band wagon too.  I don't see a solution for this coming any time soon.  Unfortunately, methods like compression of the dry contents of the dustbin plus a prescribed amount of moisture to inhibit loose dust from flying just prior to emptying would like prove as much a chore and annoyance to deal with for the average user.

There's not a manufacturer, even of machines I  like, that can be painted in a saintly shade.  It should be admitted that bagless vacuums and bagged vacuums with certain types of bags will provide annoyance and nuisance come time to empty and that these same machines are probably not a good fit for those with allergies or high sensitivity to household dust. 

That said, having long in a world with a myriad of vacuum cleaners, all purported to broach all matter of the same old problems in "special" ways, the bottom line is, can the darn things clean and contain what they clean.  No matter whether the machine requires a ritual to get it up and going or can just be snatched out of the closet and good to go, what's the result? Good or bad?  To be or not to be," is still not the question.  "Can you do it the way I like when I want it done," is. 

If a given vacuum can merely produce satisfying results for its owner, the world is a happy place even at the cost of a snootful of dust now and then.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #9   Jan 2, 2008 10:31 am
Since bagless vacuum manufacturers suggest emptying their dust bins into a bag why doesn't someone invent a vacuum that has a bag attached to the dust bin!
DysonInventsBig

Reply #10   Jan 3, 2008 1:56 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi DIB,

Your effort I thank you for but I am just plain tired of claims and prolonged debates re claims of "no loss of suction,"no dust whatsoever," not to mention cylcones and whirlwinds everywhere from everybody.  You can throw in the sanitizing power of UV lights that no one will ever learn to apply properly for dust mite elimination -- unless it's employed in some sort timed robotic device.  Hello Roomba?

• Helo Venson, I have much to say about manufactures selling/conning folks with their “fool the public into thinking we have Dyson-like technologies” whirlwinds and cyclones, but will talk of Dyson.  The only prolonged debates, etc. of Dyson “no loss claims” are found here and one or two other vacuum cleaner forums where vacuum types chat.  The larger reality is, Dyson competitors cannot stop Dyson from making his “no loss of suction” claim, both here in the US via NAB and in the UK via ASA.  NAB and ASA have seen the evidence from Dyson and heard the complaints from his competitors and have made their decisions long ago in favor of Dyson.  Most importantly, the vast majority of Dyson owners who freely review their Dyson’s at review sites don't care of their Dyson pre-motor filter clogging after months of use.  They never or nearly never discuss or complain of this.

Neither company in contention, has a mouth that's a prayer book. It is not necessarily up to LG to come up with a solution -- just because the claim it made fell flat.  Let Dyson get on the band wagon too.  I don't see a solution for this coming any time soon.  Unfortunately, methods like compression of the dry contents of the dustbin plus a prescribed amount of moisture to inhibit loose dust from flying just prior to emptying would like prove as much a chore and annoyance to deal with for the average user.

• No one held a gun to LG’s head and demanded a “no dust when empting, invention”.  LG simply invented flipper “technology”, smashing and praying dust blocks pour out of the bin instead of dust plumes from the bin and high efficient collection chambers when empting.  Dyson’s formula of inventing has paid big dividends thus far, I do not see him chasing after what looks to be unsolvable.

There's not a manufacturer, even of machines I  like, that can be painted in a saintly shade.  It should be admitted that bagless vacuums and bagged vacuums with certain types of bags will provide annoyance and nuisance come time to empty and that these same machines are probably not a good fit for those with allergies or high sensitivity to household dust. 

• People with or parents of children with high sensitivities to dust, etc. need knowledge.  Dyson could and should provide video showing how easy it is to dump their vacuums contents with little dust being released, but amazingly does not!  Folks should get a bag or bagless vacuum after being fairly informed from both sides.

That said, having long in a world with a myriad of vacuum cleaners, all purported to broach all matter of the same old problems in "special" ways, the bottom line is, can the darn things clean and contain what they clean.  No matter whether the machine requires a ritual to get it up and going or can just be snatched out of the closet and good to go, what's the result? Good or bad?  To be or not to be," is still not the question.  "Can you do it the way I like when I want it done," is. 

• Agreed!  Products should just work as advertised.  Regarding “special ways”. - Blame the manufactures!  There is plenty to invent but the NIH attitudes run deep. – Good news for Dyson.        DIB

If a given vacuum can merely produce satisfying results for its owner, the world is a happy place even at the cost of a snootful of dust now and then.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42