Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 1:46 pm
Howdy all,

Per a New York Times story,  Halo ( http://www.gethalo.com ), the upright vacuum with the bug and germ killing UV light, as of last week has committed to a 20 million dollar advertising push over the next year in behalf of the new UV-ST model.  This is a little less than half of what Hoover shells out in the same time window.  The Halo UV-ST -- a fan-in-dirt- stream upright -- is priced at $499. 

The interesting part of the effort is that this may well be merely word play. Phil Smith who is president of BooneOakley, the firm devising the add campaign, states that, "Any vacuum, by Dyson, Hoover, Bissell, can't kill germs while it vacuums.  We're not going after any maker or model.  We don't see any competition."  An ambitious approach but to the best of my knowledge, though UV technology is used for disinfecting water and for sterilization, Halo has not put forth bona fide test results as to how well its product actually works in regard to rug cleaning or disinfecting.

Here's the link to the story but please note that you may have to apply for a free subscription to view it -- http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/business/media/26adco.html    Interested consumers may also call 866-638-4256 and request an owners manual.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 10 - 19 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Reply #10   Nov 13, 2007 3:24 pm
Hiya Mole,

Per the website it's under 17 pounds.

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #11   Nov 14, 2007 6:49 pm
Hi Venson,

You had me laughing with your commentary - good stuff!  I agree with much and understand your approach/logic.  I do not think new parents are not all to concerned of dust mites but germs!, now you’re talking their language.  Pets and all they deposit onto carpets, need I say more?  Unfortunately there are the sick or allergic that may/may not benefit.  And as Mike said the fearful (germ-phob's).

Looks like the Devil tried playing around with UV. - Their approach was to disinfect inside the vacuum. - A stroke of genius .  I like that an American company (Halo) thinks and had the guts to bring a hopefully useful widget to market. - Good for them!!  American jobs are always a good thing (not mfg but other), some real findings/science would be nice too.

Best Buy has a Halo claims chart > here.

devil patent > http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/IPDL-IMAGES/PATENTSCOPE/69/4a/76/014a76.pdf

Take care,

DIB

This message was modified Nov 14, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #12   Nov 18, 2007 2:13 pm
Hi,

Thought I'd submit the following link to Hammacher Sclemmer's site.  There's now a "germ elimination" category in their online catalog. Don't know if this was done prior ti the Halo campaign or after but there they are in all their glory -- evrything from a germ-killing "wand" to a denture container.  I find it a little scary as I wonder what safeguards are in place for the UV-employing devices being sold to make them child-proof.

http://www.hammacher.com/qsearch/default.asp?query=germelimination&promo=homeliving_bug

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Nov 18, 2007 by Venson
Trilobite

Reply #13   Nov 20, 2007 2:02 pm
Hi Venson,

I am fine, thanks.

I had a look at the Halo site, and here are my conclusions.

There appear to be two models, only one of which appears to be a real working model (softbag model). The other (hardbag) model seems to be a 'concept' ; i.e. it doesn't exist, apart from in drawings.

The softbag model looks to me, to be made from a great deal of plastic, including the soleplate area. The agitator does not seem to offer "Brushed Edge Cleaning", merely side suction channels. It appears that the drive belt prevents decent edge cleaning on that side.

The softbag model has tools, the hardbag model doesn't (why not?).

The hose appears to be a short length of 'plastiflex' hose; a triple-stretch hose would have been far more useful.

It is odd that the softbag model has separate motors for suction and agitator, yet belt drive on the (proposed) hardbag model.

The softbag model seems to be based on one of the USA Hoover lightweight models, from a few years ago.

Venson

Reply #14   Nov 20, 2007 3:59 pm
Hi Trilo,

Check out Mike's post on the "Reviews" page here.  The Halo V-ST performs well on carpeting and is not sensational but adequate above the floor.  (By the way, it does have a stretch hose.)  Also, there is not the usual belt drive but gears that drive the brushroll by way of that second motor.

Those two points alone might begin to prove enough to stimlulate a possible buyer's desire to investigate but neither is what the manufacturer is pitching.  The selling angle remains the UV light feature.  Gotta get those germs. 

Due to price, an attachment kit is called for just to make the purchase seem a sensible one.  I should mention that the UV-ST is a follow-up of Halo's UVX model and the star in Halo's crown for the present.  I'd imagine the soft bag style allows more filtration area.all around than the hard-bodied version.

Regards,

Venson

Trilobite

Reply #15   Nov 20, 2007 5:21 pm
I still find it odd that a softbag model is touted as being the superior machine.

Traditionally in the UK, the softbagged models were always the lesser machines from the 1980's onwards. (Hoover Turbopower softbag, Hoover Turbopower hardbag, Hoover Turbopower Autoflex, etc).

Anyway, I wonder if, now that TTI own Hoover USA, a Hoover branded robotic cleaner will make an appearance?

DysonInventsBig

Reply #16   Nov 23, 2007 6:10 pm

Hello guys,

The HALO vacuum made another television appearance today, which I uploaded for your viewing.  HereVenson, thanks for the UV link (above).

DIB

This message was modified Nov 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #17   Nov 23, 2007 9:02 pm
Trilobite wrote:
I still find it odd that a softbag model is touted as being the superior machine.

This "soft bag" upright still has very good filtration, because it uses a "hepa type" bag, plus a high filtration outer bag.  A "fan-first" deigned vacuum cleaner can still be a great contender if it is designed well.
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #18   Nov 23, 2007 11:50 pm
Interesting, the design seems to have changed since the original. 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #19   Dec 19, 2007 2:21 am
  <  Researchers suspect that a vacuums beater brush beats more that carpeting...  it beats fleas to death too.  Here.        DIB

Replies: 10 - 19 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42