Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 1:46 pm
Howdy all,

Per a New York Times story,  Halo ( http://www.gethalo.com ), the upright vacuum with the bug and germ killing UV light, as of last week has committed to a 20 million dollar advertising push over the next year in behalf of the new UV-ST model.  This is a little less than half of what Hoover shells out in the same time window.  The Halo UV-ST -- a fan-in-dirt- stream upright -- is priced at $499. 

The interesting part of the effort is that this may well be merely word play. Phil Smith who is president of BooneOakley, the firm devising the add campaign, states that, "Any vacuum, by Dyson, Hoover, Bissell, can't kill germs while it vacuums.  We're not going after any maker or model.  We don't see any competition."  An ambitious approach but to the best of my knowledge, though UV technology is used for disinfecting water and for sterilization, Halo has not put forth bona fide test results as to how well its product actually works in regard to rug cleaning or disinfecting.

Here's the link to the story but please note that you may have to apply for a free subscription to view it -- http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/business/media/26adco.html    Interested consumers may also call 866-638-4256 and request an owners manual.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 4 - 13 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Reply #4   Nov 10, 2007 12:47 am
Hi Trilo,

How have you been?  My irritation with the Halo deal is that the we're being played and not even artfully. There's absolutely no amusement factor when someone with no talent is trying to pull your leg. As I said before, the company needs to establish that the machine quickly makes a significant reduction of the alledged culprits hidden in our rugs and carpets and Halo also needs to show that the machine cleans well.

The dust mite has been with us along and will yet be with us a good while longer.  But lo and behold human race is still here and somehow living even longer today. I don't think that's simply due to vacuum cleaners.  As for the "super bugs", MRSA and the other nasty stuff, the best that can be done beyond keeping self and home as tidy as possible is to attempt to bolster your immune system as best you can. 

I am making an effort to take most of the commercial world's latest scare tactics in stride because when you focus too intently on possible calamity you're less likely to see what's coming at you from the other direction.  I took a lesson from a great lady who spent a long time, in of all places, the ad world --  "Hysteria is a luxury."

Best,

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #5   Nov 12, 2007 3:44 pm
HALO is going to sell a ton of these things.  Their web site is the best (vacuum mfg) site I've seen.   Video online is the best way to tell ones story and they did it. 

Check out my HALO vid.

DIB

This message was modified Nov 12, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #6   Nov 12, 2007 8:23 pm
Hi DIB,

But they just turned the machine on and off.  Also, this vacuum, the Halo US-VT does use disposable bags, depite the rather careless and confused pitcher's statement. And then  -- "Your mattress will double in weight in ten years if you don't get rid of your dust mites."  Spouses may double in weight over time but never matresses.  Halo should be suing these people and seeking a court order mandating that they never speak the name again!

This is a standard upright vacuum and the only thing that looks encouraging to me about is the brushroll -- a lot of brush and a little suction can take you a long way. BUT . . .back at the ranch ( http://www.gethalo.com/science/ ) -- good old Doc Needham still commits to nothing concrete about the machine's "nuke" ratio or it's ability to clean well.  They'd be best off by going back to the bowling ball lifting test..  That always helps.

Best,

Venson

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #7   Nov 12, 2007 9:38 pm
This vacuum cleaner can sell.  All they need to do is promote it on TV, print, etc.  People who are "germ-phobic" will jump at it right away.

It really is not a bad machine.  It performs very well.

See my Review of it.

But like I said in the review, the average person cannot test the effectiveness of the UV-C w/this vacuum cleaner.  
Venson

Reply #8   Nov 12, 2007 10:03 pm
Hi Mike,

I didn't read your review until just now.  Thanks for the effort and I'm glad I was right about the brushroll.  Nonetheless, if its not prepared to come up with numbers re dust mite demise, Halo would do well to emphasize the machines rug cleaning ability which it has not in any of mediums I've seen represented in.  By the way -- does UV light have the ability to cause fading over time.

Thanks,

Venson

mole

Reply #9   Nov 13, 2007 1:40 pm
Hi ,Does anyone know the weight of the vacuum........

MOLE

Venson

Reply #10   Nov 13, 2007 3:24 pm
Hiya Mole,

Per the website it's under 17 pounds.

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #11   Nov 14, 2007 6:49 pm
Hi Venson,

You had me laughing with your commentary - good stuff!  I agree with much and understand your approach/logic.  I do not think new parents are not all to concerned of dust mites but germs!, now you’re talking their language.  Pets and all they deposit onto carpets, need I say more?  Unfortunately there are the sick or allergic that may/may not benefit.  And as Mike said the fearful (germ-phob's).

Looks like the Devil tried playing around with UV. - Their approach was to disinfect inside the vacuum. - A stroke of genius .  I like that an American company (Halo) thinks and had the guts to bring a hopefully useful widget to market. - Good for them!!  American jobs are always a good thing (not mfg but other), some real findings/science would be nice too.

Best Buy has a Halo claims chart > here.

devil patent > http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/IPDL-IMAGES/PATENTSCOPE/69/4a/76/014a76.pdf

Take care,

DIB

This message was modified Nov 14, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #12   Nov 18, 2007 2:13 pm
Hi,

Thought I'd submit the following link to Hammacher Sclemmer's site.  There's now a "germ elimination" category in their online catalog. Don't know if this was done prior ti the Halo campaign or after but there they are in all their glory -- evrything from a germ-killing "wand" to a denture container.  I find it a little scary as I wonder what safeguards are in place for the UV-employing devices being sold to make them child-proof.

http://www.hammacher.com/qsearch/default.asp?query=germelimination&promo=homeliving_bug

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Nov 18, 2007 by Venson
Trilobite

Reply #13   Nov 20, 2007 2:02 pm
Hi Venson,

I am fine, thanks.

I had a look at the Halo site, and here are my conclusions.

There appear to be two models, only one of which appears to be a real working model (softbag model). The other (hardbag) model seems to be a 'concept' ; i.e. it doesn't exist, apart from in drawings.

The softbag model looks to me, to be made from a great deal of plastic, including the soleplate area. The agitator does not seem to offer "Brushed Edge Cleaning", merely side suction channels. It appears that the drive belt prevents decent edge cleaning on that side.

The softbag model has tools, the hardbag model doesn't (why not?).

The hose appears to be a short length of 'plastiflex' hose; a triple-stretch hose would have been far more useful.

It is odd that the softbag model has separate motors for suction and agitator, yet belt drive on the (proposed) hardbag model.

The softbag model seems to be based on one of the USA Hoover lightweight models, from a few years ago.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42