Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 1:46 pm
Howdy all,

Per a New York Times story,  Halo ( http://www.gethalo.com ), the upright vacuum with the bug and germ killing UV light, as of last week has committed to a 20 million dollar advertising push over the next year in behalf of the new UV-ST model.  This is a little less than half of what Hoover shells out in the same time window.  The Halo UV-ST -- a fan-in-dirt- stream upright -- is priced at $499. 

The interesting part of the effort is that this may well be merely word play. Phil Smith who is president of BooneOakley, the firm devising the add campaign, states that, "Any vacuum, by Dyson, Hoover, Bissell, can't kill germs while it vacuums.  We're not going after any maker or model.  We don't see any competition."  An ambitious approach but to the best of my knowledge, though UV technology is used for disinfecting water and for sterilization, Halo has not put forth bona fide test results as to how well its product actually works in regard to rug cleaning or disinfecting.

Here's the link to the story but please note that you may have to apply for a free subscription to view it -- http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/business/media/26adco.html    Interested consumers may also call 866-638-4256 and request an owners manual.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 54 - 63 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Reply #54   Aug 7, 2008 6:45 am
Severus wrote:
Halo is now selling at costco.com for $180 with shipping. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638

Hello Severus:

Probably worth the price tho I expect the halo prices to get reduced further.  Also comes with 3 HEPA filter bags.  I want to take a closer look at the bag and how it is mounted.  Wondering if it uses a cardboard collar that locks into a plastic docking bag holder.  With a rubber seal and/or dirt trap on the bag opening. 

The NAD/FTC provided the nails for the halo coffin.  Up to this point, the consumer magazines like Consumer Reports and Better Homes and Gardens were non-committal about the performance of the halo and did not support its claims with zeal.  CR said that halo was only so so for pet hair pick up and didn't like the less expensive halo model [MSRP of $400] because it lacked tools on board.  The consumer magazines shyed away from testing the halo claims [about killing germs] and supporting these with enthusiam, probably due to the complaint lodged by BISSELL.  And the flurry of medical and scientific evidence that followed the halo launch which proved most vacuums with brush rolls are just as effective for killing germs.  I'm not sure about Good Housekeeping.  Can't recall if it covered and or granted its seal to halo.  I think not.

In hindsight, Garcia's marketing and budget were flawed.   $20 Million was not nearly enough.  He should have marketed the model with the UV-C light in specialty stores specifically for allergy and asthma users.  At the high price [$400-$500].  While marketing a less expensive version without the UV light for $200 in the big box retailers.  Both would have been niche markets he could capitalize on.  The former for the germaphobes and the latter for vacuum buyers looking for a lightweight with tools on board. 

If halo followed this road, it would not have had to make such an exaggerated claim [read false] for germ killing in order to compete for vacuum sales among the big box retailers.  The $20 Million earmarked for halo advertising, a puny amount for a new product and brand name launch, would have been better served with this sales and marketing venue.  Halo would have fared better.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 7, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #55   Aug 7, 2008 8:55 am
You nailed it Carmine, it just goes to prove that the box stores are not the venue for vacuums that cost over 200.00,

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #56   Aug 16, 2008 5:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Ken Garcia and his halo should have went the lightweight upright route first for $200 and transitioned into the retailers with a solid winner.  Halo then could have added the UV-C light and upped the ante.  Halo would still be a viable, on-going concern and flourishing.  Instead halo is probably a goner:  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

So much for one of the prognostications here that said "HALO is going to sell a ton of these things" due to the fancy schmancy web site.  Consumers know a con when they see/hear it regardless of the media venue. 

Here lies halo, may it RIP.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Pulling my old quotes and pulling them out of context to bait me is funny, pathetic or both.  And leaving out my later posts where I began to doubt Halo’s unnecessary and crazy claim’s.  Leaving out the fact that I do research this industry and am the only poster here to post twice of NAD findings/judgments in regards to Halos advertising, this too is funny, pathetic or both.  It is boring for me to correct you all the time, from here on I will simply call your falsehoods or misquotes of me lies, ok?

Good luck securing $20 - $50 million from investors with your tired commodity proposal. – A $200 lightweight vacuum that is “built with off the shelf, in the public domain parts and designs”. - Basically a non-proprietary nothing.        DIB 

This message was modified Aug 16, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #57   Sep 11, 2008 8:38 am
Consumer Reports October 2008 ratings for the halo UVX [w/o attachments] were decent.  Good for carpets and pet hair.  Excellent for barefloors and emissions.  Retail price shows $370 which is no longer the price.  COSTCO as well as other retailers price the top of the line halo [UV-ST with the attachments on board] for $179 which includes free shipping and 3 paper bags.  Probably a decent buy at the price. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|103|4716&N=4000044%204294905087&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

The down side with any halo purchase is the prospect of future service/parts support.  Vacuum buyers/users: Roll the dice and take your chances.  Collectors:  Here's your chance to own a small piece [very tiny] of vacuum history.

Next on the Ken Garcia's agenda: Sell the halo UV-C rights to a competitor and fade into oblivion.  If there are any takers.  And surprisingly, even in this bad retail market, there may be a few.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 11, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #58   Sep 29, 2008 7:08 am
According to the latest studies reported by Good Housekeeping in its October 2008 magazine,  despite heroic housekeeping efforts made by many asthma and allergy sufferers to get rid of dust mites, those microscopic bugs that inhabit beds and bedding, nothing helps.

Now they can relax, say researchers who reviewed 54 studies involving 3000 asthma patients, and found that no special treatments, covering beds with mite-proof casings, vacuuming with special machines, or frequent washing in scalding water, eliminated enough of the bugs to make a difference.  Even when people reduced dust mites alot (and that was the case in only some of the studies reviewed), asthma symptoms didn't improve.

Study leader, Dr. Peter Gotzsche, advises: "Just keep your house clean."

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #59   Sep 29, 2008 8:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
According to the latest studies reported by Good Housekeeping in its October 2008 magazine,  despite heroic housekeeping efforts made by many asthma and allergy sufferers to get rid of dust mites, those microscopic bugs that inhabit beds and bedding, nothing helps.

Now they can relax, say researchers who reviewed 54 studies involving 3000 asthma patients, and found that no special treatments, covering beds with mite-proof casings, vacuuming with special machines, or frequent washing in scalding water, eliminated enough of the bugs to make a difference.  Even when people reduced dust mites alot (and that was the case in only some of the studies reviewed), asthma symptoms didn't improve.

Study leader, Dr. Peter Gotzsche, advises: "Just keep your house clean."

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine ,Venson, and the non fearmongers,We have been saying this for a long time now, Lets see how the industry puts a new spin on indoor air pollution, my vote would be for the more dust blowby the better,our new technology has been proven by independent testing labs,that when you drown the dust mites in dirt and  airborne particulates that the MITES become all happy and live by themselves in an obscure place in the home,thus reducing the threat to humans and animals..

Heres a  very enlightening approach, clean your house once in a while.............

MOLE

Venson

Reply #60   Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm
Well said MOLE. Well said.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #61   Sep 29, 2008 7:41 pm
" A Clean Home is a Healthy Home." 

I used it in 1949 before BISSELL.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #62   Oct 8, 2008 9:25 am
THE  ''HALO'' IS AT 139.95 ON EBAY,OFFERED BY THE DEAL MONGER...............HOW LOW WILL THEY GOOOOOOOOOOO..........

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #63   Oct 8, 2008 2:31 pm
By the Holiday season: $99.

Carmine D.

Replies: 54 - 63 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42