Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > the new Consumer Reports ratings are out

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

the new Consumer Reports ratings are out
Original Message   Aug 31, 2007 5:06 pm
For subscribers, the latest CR test results are out - at least the online results.  Not many surprises.  The scores for cleaning pet hair are included. 

The biggest surprise to me was the mediocre score for carpet cleaning for the Panasonic Performance Plus Platinum. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
vacomatic

Re: the new Consumer Reports ratings are out
Reply #1   Aug 31, 2007 9:12 pm
I was surprised the Sebo Felix didn't get tested, but in many ways it is similar to the X4.
Also noticed the Sears Cannister using a cyclonic filtration system was no longer on the list.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #2   Sep 4, 2007 12:40 am
I'm really having a hard time understanding how CR ratings add up.

For example, consider the Oreck  XL21-700 versus the Panasonic Performance Plus Platinum MC-V5241 and the Miele Powerhouse S184.

The oreck weighs 11 pounds, costs $750 and has an overall score of 63.  The Miele weighs 15 pounds, costs $380 and has an overall score of 56.  the Panasonic weighs 14 pounds, costs $400 and has an overall score of 50.

Individual scores are (Oreck / Panasonic/Miele): 

carpet cleaning - good / good / good

bare floors - excellent / excellent / very good

tool airflow - NA / NA / fair    

noise - fair / good / good

emissions - excellent / excellent  / excellent

handling - very good / good / good

pet hair - fair / excellent / excellent

I'm having a hard time understanding why one would purchase the Oreck over the Panasonic or Miele, and why the ratings vary so much.  I've tested out both the Oreck and the Panasonic, and I have a hard time believing that the Panasonic doesn't get a higher score on the carpet cleaning test. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #3   Sep 6, 2007 5:27 pm
Hi Severus,

If 100 percent is top score, the three cleaners in mention may rate as slightly less than average in the bigger picture but "good" is good.  I have checked out operator manuals on these and would make mention of some points you may not have considered.

The Panasonic MC-V5241, albeit marvelously simplistic -- plain old flat belt and all, is old news in the sense that it is still the same deal that the company's offered since many years ago. The "automatic height adjustment" means merely that the cleaning head pivots on the main body of the unit.  Thus, when or when not may ease of pushing be a problem.  Also, if suggested retail price is actually $400.00, it is a bit of an insult to buyers that a set of attrachments, whether on-board or separate are not included.  There is an attachment set for this machine offered as an option but there are other upriights that clean as well or better, have more features and an impressive sets of attachments for less money.  There is nothing here to merit this cleaner a higher ranking.

From what I saw in the manual there are no additional rollers on the base plate nor a brush strip or plastic "wiper" for bare floor cleaning.  Despite CRs estimate of its bare floor cleaning ability, I would be a bit skeptical about its actual performance in that area especially in situations where grit like sand might be encountered.  Even more concern should be due if we're talking good wood flooring.

The Miele left me surprised by the miserly attachment set-up onboard. The mechanism for stopping the brushroll action is at the base of the cleaner meaning to employ it you must stoop to reach it each time you move off carpeting to hard flooring OR want to use the hose .  This is very inconvenient. Here also I gained no awareness that anything special had been done regarding bare floor cleaning.  This is also another flat belt user I believe.  There's not much going on here either and think this machine is pegged just about right.

Last but not least, pricey and also attachmentless Oreck offers little versatility to lend to enthusiasm about its purchase.  I make note , per the manual, that belt changes should be made every six months.  A lot of needless bother in a time when cogged and "V" belts are so common.

As for capet cleaning scores that CR rendered -- take them with a grain of salt. There could be any number of design reasons -- like woosy brush rolls -- that lessen their potential.  However, in a home where housekeeping duties are frequently and regularly observed any of these three may serve the purpose just as well as higher ranked machines.  In abodes where cleaning is done catch-as-catch-can, probably a better performing and better fitted out machine is required. 

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Sep 6, 2007 by Venson
Severus

Reply #4   Sep 7, 2007 9:19 am
One of the things that you notice when you review CR's rankings is that it's not clear that they make sense.   I can only assume that CR's rankings are appropriate for the elderly, since they seem to overweight "ease of use" in the overall score.   It's also not clear whether the results are repeatable.  For example, not too long ago the Dyson DC15 "Ball" received a "Very Good" score for carpet cleaning.  Now the score is just "good".  Has the Dyson changed, or has CR changed it's criteria?   CR provides less and less information on each review it seems.  In the past, they had comments on each machine to cover the incidentals.  

If you believe the CR tests, the Dyson's are all mediocre at carpet cleaning.   Perhaps someday Dyson will learn how to build a proper brush roll.  I don't know why they don't buy their brush rolls from a US supplier who knows what works best on American carpeting. 

It's really interesting to look at the user comments on the CR web site.  Readers are not shy about disagreeing with CR.   My biggest disappointment is that CR will not allow you to comment on the buying process, which is of particular interest for door-to-door brands. 

This message was modified Sep 13, 2007 by Severus

Severus

Reply #5   Sep 13, 2007 11:06 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Severus,

If 100 percent is top score, the three cleaners in mention may rate as slightly less than average in the bigger picture but "good" is good.  I have checked out operator manuals on these and would make mention of some points you may not have considered.

The Panasonic MC-V5241, albeit marvelously simplistic -- plain old flat belt and all, is old news in the sense that it is still the same deal that the company's offered since many years ago. The "automatic height adjustment" means merely that the cleaning head pivots on the main body of the unit.  Thus, when or when not may ease of pushing be a problem.  Also, if suggested retail price is actually $400.00, it is a bit of an insult to buyers that a set of attrachments, whether on-board or separate are not included.  There is an attachment set for this machine offered as an option but there are other upriights that clean as well or better, have more features and an impressive sets of attachments for less money.  There is nothing here to merit this cleaner a higher ranking.

From what I saw in the manual there are no additional rollers on the base plate nor a brush strip or plastic "wiper" for bare floor cleaning.  Despite CRs estimate of its bare floor cleaning ability, I would be a bit skeptical about its actual performance in that area especially in situations where grit like sand might be encountered.  Even more concern should be due if we're talking good wood flooring.

The Miele left me surprised by the miserly attachment set-up onboard. The mechanism for stopping the brushroll action is at the base of the cleaner meaning to employ it you must stoop to reach it each time you move off carpeting to hard flooring OR want to use the hose .  This is very inconvenient. Here also I gained no awareness that anything special had been done regarding bare floor cleaning.  This is also another flat belt user I believe.  There's not much going on here either and think this machine is pegged just about right.

Last but not least, pricey and also attachmentless Oreck offers little versatility to lend to enthusiasm about its purchase.  I make note , per the manual, that belt changes should be made every six months.  A lot of needless bother in a time when cogged and "V" belts are so common.

As for capet cleaning scores that CR rendered -- take them with a grain of salt. There could be any number of design reasons -- like woosy brush rolls -- that lessen their potential.  However, in a home where housekeeping duties are frequently and regularly observed any of these three may serve the purpose just as well as higher ranked machines.  In abodes where cleaning is done catch-as-catch-can, probably a better performing and better fitted out machine is required. 

Best,

Venson

Venson,

My point is that even though these three vacuums have very similar scores on the individual tests, the overall scores and rankings vary wildly. 

I believe the Miele is actually built by Panasonic.    It has a notched beater bar on the brush roll. 

I agree the Panasonic is a bare bones model, but there are people who only use a vacuum for cleaning carpeting.  As you noted, you can purchase a hose and set of tools for this vacuum.  Panasonic offers more deluxe models, but ultimately CR picked this bare bones model.  I believe one could purchase this Panasonic online for about $200 about a year ago, so the $400 price tag does seem a little high. 

If you have a lot of wood floors, I suspect you would be better off purchasing a canister vacuum rather than an upright.

One caveat for the cleaning bare floors score - CR does not use the optional bare floor tools that come with many premium vacs.  It uses the carpet cleaning nozzle.  So when Rainbow gets a lousy score for cleaning bare floors, the test is done with the power nozzle rather than the bare floor tool. 

On the plus side, I am happy to see that CR is testing a greater variety of vacuums.  I'm just not sure whether the results are relevant.  

CarmineD

Reply #6   Dec 31, 2007 5:09 pm
Severus wrote:

The biggest surprise to me was the mediocre score for carpet cleaning for the Panasonic Performance Plus Platinum. 

CR is coming down pretty hard on dyson models for pet hair pick up.  For example, the DC15 gets a "poor" rating for removing pet hair from carpeting.  Not what one would expect/anticipate from a vacuum priced at $500.  Although I see them (DC15's) kicked around now for much much less.  I recall that the original MSRP for this DC15 was $600 before the $100 price drop (after 3 months of launch).

My sense is that the recent price reductions are due in part to the poor CR ratings for the DC15, which ranks a paltry 20 out of 43.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2007 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #7   Jan 1, 2008 1:03 pm
Hi all,

Well  . . . we're here.  It's officially 2008.  Following is a link to a video from Consumer Reports that may prove enlightening to some as to CRs testing methods and general opinion.  Though you may view the video you cannot move to the actual online reports unless you are a subscriber.

Here's the link -- http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/video/Vacuum%20Video%20Final/Vacuums525.html

Happy New Year,

Venson

mole

Reply #8   Jan 2, 2008 8:39 am
CarmineD wrote:
CR is coming down pretty hard on dyson models for pet hair pick up.  For example, the DC15 gets a "poor" rating for removing pet hair from carpeting.  Not what one would expect/anticipate from a vacuum priced at $500.  Although I see them (DC15's) kicked around now for much much less.  I recall that the original MSRP for this DC15 was $600 before the $100 price drop (after 3 months of launch).

My sense is that the recent price reductions are due in part to the poor CR ratings for the DC15, which ranks a paltry 20 out of 43.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,Venson, all i can say is thank GOD that the DYSON parts availability has finally come to the smart indy's, There is more doe,ray,me, in the service parts than the actual sale of the machine.Of course you guys knew that all along.

MOLE/O.T.

CarmineD

Reply #9   Jan 2, 2008 8:54 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,Venson, all i can say is thank GOD that the DYSON parts availability has finally come to the smart indy's, There is more doe,ray,me, in the service parts than the actual sale of the machine.Of course you guys knew that all along.

MOLE/O.T.

HAPPY NEW YEAR MOLE-OLD-TIMER:

Yes to your concluding statement.  I know many vacuum store owners/operators, here and on the east coast (where I came from), who carry the dyson line, not particurlarly because they like it but for business reasons: To accomodate their current and future customers/clientele.  Glad to hear you are too. 

Of course, this is true of other vacuum brands.  With one major difference for dyson.  Because of its high product prices and big box stores' availability, the aftermarket business for dyson repairs and parts should be exceptionally profitable for independent vacuum stores (who jump on the dyson bandwagon).  But there is a big IF:  New dyson product prices stay high. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #10   Jan 2, 2008 9:12 am
Hi Carmine,Dysons parts line is a little out of whack as far as their pricing to the dealers,My only consensus is that that look at repair and parts avalability as a nusance to them, The only other company that we deal with is A.B.lux,where a cordwinder is over 105.00 cost and the wait is almost 2 months.If they feel like making it.Sort of like miele....................

MOLE/O.T.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42