Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Who has decks wider than 22" in a self propelled walk behind mower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Who has decks wider than 22" in a self propelled walk behind mower?
Original Message   Mar 13, 2005 11:17 pm
The only mower wider than 22" that I could find is a Snapper that retails for just over $1,000. It is 26" wide. My problem is my yard is two levels so a rider isn't practical but I have just enough of a yard that I want the widest I can find in a good quality walk behind, self propelled mower.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 26 - 35 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Re: Who has decks wider than 22" in a self propelled walk behind mower?
Reply #26   Apr 6, 2005 11:00 am
OK , one more rider question. How do you know how much HP you need? I am a big guy but my yard is PERFECTLY flat! Can 11HP move my but around and still spin the blade?

And here is the rider...

http://www.snapper.com/hivac_rear.html

This message was modified Apr 6, 2005 by cleanmaxx_brian

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #27   Apr 6, 2005 11:36 am
cleanmaxx_brian wrote:
OK , one more rider question. How do you know how much HP you need? I am a big guy but my yard is PERFECTLY flat! Can 11HP move my but around and still spin the blade?

And here is the rider...

http://www.snapper.com/hivac_rear.html

Go for the 12HP Briggs OHV AVS or the 11HP GX Honda OHV. You want the electric start and those are the engines to choose from for the 28" deck. I know, they have 13.5HP Briggs too, but there's no need for it for 28" deck, fat butt or not. LOL  The Honda will be a little more quiet, if that's of any importance and probably have more torque too. A Honda GX engine on a Snapper RER, there's a match made in heaven for longevity. $2,200.00 may be too steep though? You should be able to pick up the 12HP Briggs electic start for $1,400.00 ish.

Oh yea, what kind of grass do you have?

This message was modified Apr 6, 2005 by Marshall
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #28   Apr 6, 2005 11:45 am
$1,400 ish should be do able.  No more though... As for grass... perennial rye, Kentucky bluegrass, fine fescue and annual ryegrass along with a scatter of wonderful crab grass and a few dandilions

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

Reply #29   Apr 6, 2005 12:20 pm
OK, if you want to mulch, get the Ninja Mulch Kit. It will do an excellent job on the Rye and K Bluegrass. The real fine fescue can be difficult for any blade because of the limpness of the grass, the high-vac deck will help that though. I bought the rear drawer bagger for mine and after a couple of months I bought the Ninja Kit, now I hardly ever use the bagger.
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #30   Apr 6, 2005 12:46 pm
No clumping with the Nija Kit? How often do you mow...or better yet, how much are you cutting off? I HAVE to cut ATLEAST once a week! And even at that rate, I bag.

Note: ingound sprinkler system plus fertilizer = happy (read fast growing) grass!

Brian Chang

Marshall

Reply #31   Apr 6, 2005 1:06 pm
I cut about ever 4-5 days in the summer when it's really growing fast, I cut thick bermuda too.  No, no clumping. Matter of fact you will wonder where the clipping went.  I cut an area of tall fescue once, as a test, that I let grow over a foot in length. The Ninja blade cut it with no trouble, no bogging down of the 15 HP Kohler either (33" deck). There were one or two small patches I had to go back over to get cut even but that was it. If it was bermuda that lenght, no way. I can cut off 4 inches of bermuda with the Ninja blade and it will still mulch it.

Oh, what state do you live in?

Tell the dealer you want to see it mulch, see what he can do for you.

This message was modified Apr 6, 2005 by Marshall
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #32   Apr 6, 2005 2:34 pm
Impressive! I am on Long Island NY. I will see what the dealer can show me. (Probably not much) Dealers here are small shops with little for inventory...nothing like upstate where everybody has big yards.

Brian Chang

Marshall

Reply #33   Apr 6, 2005 3:18 pm
Yea, I can where that might be tough to get done, bummer.

Anyway, riding is where the Big Dogs pee.

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #34   Apr 7, 2005 8:25 pm
Hi.
I did not read all the replies here yet, but I know that exmark just came out with a 26" commercial walk behind that has a extra big gas tank and grass bag, three speeds, etc.
Go to the eXmark website to see this new mower.......

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #35   Apr 12, 2005 2:34 pm
What do you think of Bradley mowers???
I am close to pulling the trigger on a 32" 10.5 Briggs machine with a grass catcher for $1,300.  Dealer seams to love this machine and has parts...

Thoughts?
You can see one on this page for $1,499...
http://www.kimcolawnandgarden.com/lawn-mowers-commercial-walk-behind-mowers.html
This message was modified Apr 12, 2005 by a moderator

Brian Chang

Replies: 26 - 35 of 35Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42