Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Who has decks wider than 22" in a self propelled walk behind mower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Who has decks wider than 22" in a self propelled walk behind mower?
Original Message   Mar 13, 2005 11:17 pm
The only mower wider than 22" that I could find is a Snapper that retails for just over $1,000. It is 26" wide. My problem is my yard is two levels so a rider isn't practical but I have just enough of a yard that I want the widest I can find in a good quality walk behind, self propelled mower.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 1 - 35 of 35View as Outline
lland

Re: Who has decks wider than 22" in a self propelled walk behind mower?
Reply #1   Mar 14, 2005 8:54 am
Troy Bilt makes a 33" walk behind:

Troy built

Quick 36 Makes a 36" walk behind:

Quick, Better Outdoor Products

You can also go for a smaller commercial walk behind mower.

LL

This message was modified Mar 14, 2005 by a moderator

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Mar 14, 2005 9:16 am
Smitty,

Here are the only two I know of until you get into the larger commercial walks. I like the single blade of the Snapper better. I don't see where the Troy says it has two blade but by the look of the deck, it sure appears to be designed as a two blade deck. I prefer Snapper disc drive transmission better too. The Troy says it can mulch, but I don't see a mulching blade listed as an option?
I am not sure if Snapper makes a 26" Ninja Blade for it? They make a wave blade. I like Snappers 13 gauge deck, I like the Intek fully pressurized engine with spin on oil filter too. I like the larger front tires on the Snapper, those little things on the Troy are rediculous. The only thing I like better about the Troy, is the wider deck.

I sure would like to see Snapper take their 28" or 33" Hi-Vac deck and put it on a this walk behind with a 10-13HP Kohler. Too bad they havn't done that.

Troy Bilt makes this 33" model for $1,399.00

Product Details

• 33" combination deck
  • Self-propelled multiple-speed drive system
  • 4 forward speeds and power reverse
  • 3-in-1 capability - bag, side discharge, mulch (bag optional)
  • Single-lever cutting height adjustment - 1" to 4"
  • Blade brake clutch
  • 16" rear wheels with pneumatic turf tread tires
  • 2-Year Limited Warranty
  • 10.5 HP* Briggs & Stratton OHV I/C engine
  • *as rated by engine manufacturer

Then there's the Snapper 26" model, as you have noticed.

• Powerful 7-hp Briggs & Stratton OHV engine with fully pressurized oil lubrication and spin-on filter
  • Heavy-duty 26” 13-gauge steel mower deck
  • Six cutting heights for all conditions
  • Automatic Blade Stop (ABS)
  • Exclusive disc drive transmission with smooth turn differential
  • Six-speed on-the-go shifting
  • Convenient handle-mounted swivel wheel lock
  • Adjustable handle
  • 12” rear steel wheels for rough terrain
  • Front swivel 8” steel caster wheels

Oh yea, Swisher makes a 42" Walk behind, you might check out the price, I don't know what it is? I like the deck and the 9HP Briggs may keep the price down? Swisher makes quality stuff.

Swisher 42"

• 9.0HP Briggs & Stratton engine
  • 42" cutting width reduces mowing time
  • Self-propelled, 4-speed transmission with reverse
  • Large pneumatic tires provide easy steering
  • Zero-turn design turns on a dime
  • Easy to use single point height adjustment allows infinite cutting height within a 4" range
  • Great maneuverability on rough terrain and around trees and shrubs

This message was modified Mar 14, 2005 by Marshall
Marshall

Reply #3   Mar 14, 2005 9:57 am
LL, I'm kind of impressed with the Quick walks. I remember seeing their site last year now that you posted it, had forgot all about them. Did you see this, they even make a dad gum roller for them.

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #4   Mar 14, 2005 10:06 am
My brother has a 10 year old version of the Troy-Bilt mower mentioned above and he loves it. He has a 1 acre sloped yard that is not very smooth. His experience with riders was he got scalping and wheel spin tearing up his turf, but not with the Troy mower. He does wish the handlebars were taller as he is 6'-5".

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Marshall

Reply #5   Mar 14, 2005 10:28 am
bontaiJoe wrote:
My brother has a 10 year old version of the Troy-Bilt mower mentioned above and he loves it. He has a 1 acre sloped yard that is not very smooth. His experience with riders was he got scalping and wheel spin tearing up his turf, but not with the Troy mower. He does wish the handlebars were taller as he is 6'-5".

Joe, are they the same quality mowers today now that MTD has them as they were back when they were made by Troy?
bontaiJoe

Reply #6   Mar 14, 2005 12:04 pm
Marshall wrote:
Joe, are they the same quality mowers today now that MTD has them as they were back when they were made by Troy?

Since my brother's machine is a 1994+/- vintage, it is probably an MTD product. I think the basic quality would be close to the same. MTD really didn't mess with the time tested proven designs too much in the Troy line. I wish I could say the same thing about the current Bolens machines.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Marshall

Reply #7   Mar 14, 2005 3:24 pm
bontaiJoe wrote:
Since my brother's machine is a 1994+/- vintage, it is probably an MTD product. I think the basic quality would be close to the same. MTD really didn't mess with the time tested proven designs too much in the Troy line. I wish I could say the same thing about the current Bolens machines.
Joe, I 'll go along with that in regard to the 33" walk behind, I don't think they introduced a new "MTD design" for that one mower. But, as far as the rest of the line goes, I got to respectfully disagree, I think they're all basically cheap clones with the Yard Machines and Bolens being the worst. Boy they did rape Bolens didn't they Joe. Grrrr 

Yard-Man

Troy Bilt

White

Yard Machines

Bolens

Cub Cadet 1000 Series

bontaiJoe

Reply #8   Mar 14, 2005 3:40 pm
Marshall,

I always forget that MTD sells tractors with the Troy-Bilt name on them . I tend to only think of the tillers and the walk behind mower. And as to the Bolens and White names, they should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the real Bolens and White tractors. The higher line of Cub Cadet tractors are still built at the original factory, with cast iron rear axles, etc, but the 1000 series popular at Lowes' is pure MTD with yellow and white paint. But they are priced accordingly. Folks that can't afford more than $1500-2000 still need to cut their grass, and plow their snow, and that is what the majority of MTD's line is marketed at. I just wish they hadn't gotten control of the Bolens name. That REALLY is close to criminal what they sell under that brand now, and TOTALLY misleading to anyone that was familiar with the legendary Bolens machines of the past.

Marshall

Reply #9   Mar 14, 2005 4:21 pm
I hear ya buddy! It's blasphemy, criminal, time to get a rope! 

Thanks for pointing out about the 1000 series only, I didn't think to make the distinction other than just putting 1000 series. It's possible some readers may have thought all Cubs were like that.
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #10   Mar 14, 2005 7:34 pm
Thanks Guys! Once again, I can count on you all for an OPE Education. Your the best!

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Marshall

Reply #11   Mar 14, 2005 8:11 pm
Smitty,

I remember a discussion of this same subject last year on WTB. I remember saying that I wish someone in the industry would introduce a 28-30" single blade walk behind, with a 9HP Honda, Kawa, Briggs or Robin. It doesn't need a hydro tranny, disc drive or gears are fine with me. Put the deck on chains so it's a floating deck and keep everthing else simple. Make it with a Gator type blade and retail it at 999.00. I think you would sell a ton of them.
robmints

Reply #12   Mar 14, 2005 8:15 pm

Gone, but not forgotten.
robmints

Reply #13   Mar 14, 2005 8:17 pm
This message was modified Mar 15, 2005 by robmints
robmints

Reply #14   Mar 14, 2005 8:18 pm
robmints

Reply #15   Mar 14, 2005 8:19 pm
robmints

Reply #16   Mar 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Anybody need a 16HP chain saw?
Marshall

Reply #17   Mar 14, 2005 8:26 pm
Rob, you still have that Gravely?

You reminded me..on behave of Dave_in_Ct, who on a trip right now, I know he would post the BCS Products.

robmints

Reply #18   Mar 14, 2005 8:31 pm
I sold it to a friend, but I can borrow it or buy it back if I want, or he wants to sell.

That BCS looks like the best thing on the block that you can get new right now. I forgot all about them. On behalf of Dave, Thanks.
bontaiJoe

Reply #19   Mar 15, 2005 1:21 pm
Toro (among others) makes commercial self propelled walk behinds also, including the 32" wide unit I posted a link to below. The "T-Bar" floating deck 32" wide mower has a 13 HP Kohler and can be equipped with a sulky. See their website:

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/prolinegear/tbarfloat/30316.html

These are gonna be expensive, probably more than some lawn tractors, but they will last a looooonnnnng time.

This message was modified Mar 15, 2005 by bontaiJoe

Marshall

Reply #20   Mar 15, 2005 2:26 pm
Joe, how much do believe the smaller 32" 13 HP Toro goes for today? I looked at one when I bought my 33", 15HP Kohler, Snapper RER. I remember it was more expensive that the Snapper at that time, I'll be danged if I can remember how much though? I sure did like it though.
robmints

Reply #21   Mar 15, 2005 3:03 pm
I bought a gear drive Toro 15HPKoh 52in SFS w/ tru trak sulky, brand new for around $3200 and $3400 at the end of 03. There was some back and forth on the price, so I don't remember exactly. Make sure you try before you buy.

Did I mention to try before you buy? Well, try to demo the unit on your lot if possibe, if not try it on conditions as close as possible. 

Narrow decks can sometimes want to dart from side to side on hills, especially side hill mowing. A wider deck is not only more stable but it is easier to control. IMO.

I think I forgot to say this, but try to try before you buy.

Oh yeah, it was my picture that was big. smaller now, sorry.

mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #22   Mar 15, 2005 3:17 pm
If he wants to come to Florida I know where a 2002 48in Exmark is ,with a 15hp kaw on it with a velky,for 950.00 If i did'nt have the same mower I'd jump on it even though it's belt driven I think that a great deal the mower looks great!  Maybe off the subject but thought I'd put it in.

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
bontaiJoe

Reply #23   Mar 16, 2005 12:00 pm
Marshall,

I have no idea what the various Toro walk behinds sell for. I couldn't find a price on their web site, but if I had to guess, it would be over $2000. Expensive? Yes, but it is a comercial duty unit, that would last the average homeowner decades with decent maintenance. Most of the Zero-turn manufacturers also make similar walk behind machines like the Toros. I just picked Toro, as their website is pretty decent to look around in, and they have a lot of dealers. Not everyone lives near a Wazzoo, or Exmark dealer although they are perfectly good machines also.

cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #24   Apr 6, 2005 8:57 am
This is a great post! So what did you buy?

I am now in the market for a bigger mower. I have been shopping all my local dealers and all that is available (Well special order as KNOWBODY stocks any of these machines!) is the Exmark Metro 26 (I am not feeling that machine as turning it must be a bear!) and the Snapper 26. I will have to pay MSRP plus freight and tax to even get one of these.  One of the Snapper dealers is trying to talk me into a Snapper rider 281123BV Hi Vac rear engine. The price will be about the same...MSRP is about the same Now I am really confused! My property is 135 feet by 122 and is mostly grass (I need a bigger house!) I have a big swing set and a few areas that I think will be hard to manover around. I have a line trimmer but I would not want to have a rider AND a push mower at the same time. Space is an issue. The Snapper rider stores on it's back...pretty cool!!! It would take up less room than the push machine.

So I guess I am asking what you would do? How manuvarable are these riders? Never drove one...I grew up with a OLD Bolens rider that was awesome but we still needed the push to do the trim.

HELP

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

Reply #25   Apr 6, 2005 9:35 am
I might be a little bias.

Seriously, I have the larger 33" Snapper RER and I have a big wooden swing set with slide, 14 trees, and more to mow around and it does a nice job. The steering is quick, the turning radius is not great but the steering helps that alot. You need to go see your dealer again and demo one the RER's. Get on it, drive it all over and get a feel for it. I think you'll be surprised. As far as storage, that RER isn't going to take up any more room than the 26" walk behind unless you undo the handle and fold it all up, might even take up less room? Standing on end is always another option. Oh, you'll get a better cut with the hi-vac deck than the 26" non hi-vac deck.

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #26   Apr 6, 2005 11:00 am
OK , one more rider question. How do you know how much HP you need? I am a big guy but my yard is PERFECTLY flat! Can 11HP move my but around and still spin the blade?

And here is the rider...

http://www.snapper.com/hivac_rear.html

This message was modified Apr 6, 2005 by cleanmaxx_brian

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Marshall

Reply #27   Apr 6, 2005 11:36 am
cleanmaxx_brian wrote:
OK , one more rider question. How do you know how much HP you need? I am a big guy but my yard is PERFECTLY flat! Can 11HP move my but around and still spin the blade?

And here is the rider...

http://www.snapper.com/hivac_rear.html

Go for the 12HP Briggs OHV AVS or the 11HP GX Honda OHV. You want the electric start and those are the engines to choose from for the 28" deck. I know, they have 13.5HP Briggs too, but there's no need for it for 28" deck, fat butt or not. LOL  The Honda will be a little more quiet, if that's of any importance and probably have more torque too. A Honda GX engine on a Snapper RER, there's a match made in heaven for longevity. $2,200.00 may be too steep though? You should be able to pick up the 12HP Briggs electic start for $1,400.00 ish.

Oh yea, what kind of grass do you have?

This message was modified Apr 6, 2005 by Marshall
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #28   Apr 6, 2005 11:45 am
$1,400 ish should be do able.  No more though... As for grass... perennial rye, Kentucky bluegrass, fine fescue and annual ryegrass along with a scatter of wonderful crab grass and a few dandilions

Brian Chang

Marshall

Reply #29   Apr 6, 2005 12:20 pm
OK, if you want to mulch, get the Ninja Mulch Kit. It will do an excellent job on the Rye and K Bluegrass. The real fine fescue can be difficult for any blade because of the limpness of the grass, the high-vac deck will help that though. I bought the rear drawer bagger for mine and after a couple of months I bought the Ninja Kit, now I hardly ever use the bagger.
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #30   Apr 6, 2005 12:46 pm
No clumping with the Nija Kit? How often do you mow...or better yet, how much are you cutting off? I HAVE to cut ATLEAST once a week! And even at that rate, I bag.

Note: ingound sprinkler system plus fertilizer = happy (read fast growing) grass!

Brian Chang

Marshall

Reply #31   Apr 6, 2005 1:06 pm
I cut about ever 4-5 days in the summer when it's really growing fast, I cut thick bermuda too.  No, no clumping. Matter of fact you will wonder where the clipping went.  I cut an area of tall fescue once, as a test, that I let grow over a foot in length. The Ninja blade cut it with no trouble, no bogging down of the 15 HP Kohler either (33" deck). There were one or two small patches I had to go back over to get cut even but that was it. If it was bermuda that lenght, no way. I can cut off 4 inches of bermuda with the Ninja blade and it will still mulch it.

Oh, what state do you live in?

Tell the dealer you want to see it mulch, see what he can do for you.

This message was modified Apr 6, 2005 by Marshall
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #32   Apr 6, 2005 2:34 pm
Impressive! I am on Long Island NY. I will see what the dealer can show me. (Probably not much) Dealers here are small shops with little for inventory...nothing like upstate where everybody has big yards.

Brian Chang

Marshall

Reply #33   Apr 6, 2005 3:18 pm
Yea, I can where that might be tough to get done, bummer.

Anyway, riding is where the Big Dogs pee.

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #34   Apr 7, 2005 8:25 pm
Hi.
I did not read all the replies here yet, but I know that exmark just came out with a 26" commercial walk behind that has a extra big gas tank and grass bag, three speeds, etc.
Go to the eXmark website to see this new mower.......

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #35   Apr 12, 2005 2:34 pm
What do you think of Bradley mowers???
I am close to pulling the trigger on a 32" 10.5 Briggs machine with a grass catcher for $1,300.  Dealer seams to love this machine and has parts...

Thoughts?
You can see one on this page for $1,499...
http://www.kimcolawnandgarden.com/lawn-mowers-commercial-walk-behind-mowers.html
This message was modified Apr 12, 2005 by a moderator

Brian Chang

Replies: 1 - 35 of 35View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42