Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Threw a connecting rod on my old Ariens, time to replace?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Threw a connecting rod on my old Ariens, time to replace?
Original Message   Mar 12, 2005 1:39 pm
Hi All,

First post here but before I start, I must say great board! I have read through many of the pages here and have learned a lot already!

OK, here is the story. My dad gave me his old Ariens snowblower 2 years ago. It has a 24 inch cutting path and has a 8HP techemsa engine. It has 5 or 6 speeds forward and one reverse. My best guess is it is 17 to 20 years old. On the outside, it is in pretty good shape as it was always kept in a garage. When i got the machine, it ran but not very well...it had to have the choke 1/2 way out and would pop through the exhaust. My dad would leave gas in it and he probably neve changed the oil!!! I took care of the easy stuff and changed the oil. I made it through the first winter and this past fall, I cleaned out the carb real well and got it to run MUCH better! I still could not push the choke in all the way though. Well today I started the machine up and before I could get to the fist pile of snow, I blew the connecting rod out the side of the block!

So I showed my wife who says we can't live without a snowblower (Oh do I love her!!!) so I explained we will need $1,000 for a replacement. I got the OK :)

My questions are:

1, Is this really worth fixing?

2, Is my old machine worth anything? I live in Wantagh Long Island NY If anyone is interested

3, If I replace, I am looking at Ariens 8526LE, or the 926DLE or the Simplicity 9560E or 1060DLE....are my choices good?

Thanks everyone,

Brian

http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pw3258

Re: Threw a connecting rod on my old Ariens, time to replace?
Reply #18   Mar 13, 2005 1:45 pm
Based on the condition of the old one, it certainly looks like it would be worth putting a new engine on.
jubol

Reply #19   Mar 13, 2005 3:43 pm
 Brian,

If I had your blower with the blown engine, I'd rebuild  her and put a little bigger engine on it.

That would give you  a strong backup blower!

Save the carb on your old engine, rebuild it, why it's adjustable. Use it on the engine you buy.

Check out;  Small Engine Warehouse for a replacement engine. Good prices!!

Fred    

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #20   Mar 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Hi all,
   Well "I" wont be rebuilding the old machine as I just do not have room for 2 snowblowers. My buddy is going to try and fit his 8HP engine on it. We both feel that my old chassis is better then what he has now even though his is much newer.

I went new because I figure $300 for new ebgine and I could still have problems with something else...after all this is an old machine. SO for $575 more, I got a nice new one

"IF" I did not give this old machine to my friend, would it be worth anything as is??? Is there a market for machines with blown motors?

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Dantheman

Reply #21   Mar 14, 2005 12:34 am
Brian,

The ol' gal served you well....time to say goodbye. If you can afford a new snowblower by all means get one (especially with your wife's blessings)!!!

I got rid of my old 1970's Ariens two years ago and got a Simplicity 1170E and have not looked back. It's a great machine and built like a tank.

The folks on this forum have done some detective work and discovered that all of the Simplicity Large Frame snowblowers 9-12 HP have a 12 HP engine with different stickers on them!!!

So, if you bought the 1060DLE you would really be getting a 12 HP Briggs OHV for the price of a 10HP!!!

Dan

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #22   Mar 15, 2005 8:09 pm
just got home from service school and looked at your pics again.

your con rod parted at the crank end of the rod.

the rod was also melted and smeared where it runs on the crank...that takes over 900 degrees farenheit to occur.

that means a luberication failure,either not enough oil or dirty oil.

when excessive rpm is the cause of engine failure the con rod will break right below the piston pin.

if you dissasemble your engine make a note of the colour of the governor gear.

its a plastic gear that is white when new,if the engine is ever low on oil the gear will turn a yellow colour .

if the oil is low enough to cause damage the gear will turn a darker colour ,eventually going brown.by this time you are using a shovel.

later chris   

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #23   Mar 17, 2005 8:24 am
More good info, thanks Chris.

Here is a question...when I started this machine, it started kinda ruff and the rpm fluctuated a bit. it then blew. The engine was not on more than 60 to 90 seconds! Do you think in under 2 minutes it could get that hot or do you think that the damage was probably done the last time I used it.

When I got this old machine, my dad gave me a bottle of lead additive. He said that I needed to add a little to the fuel for this machine...could that have had anything to do with the failure?

I know it is all rather pointless at this time but it is still good information to keep under the belt.

Different topic: On my new machine (Ariens 8526le) I have started it and made sure everything was working good. I then ran the engine with the fuel cut-off turned off to use up the fuel in the line. I am putting Stabhl  (SP?) in the tank...is there anything else I need to do to store a new machine. And of course this machine takes normal unleaded gas right?

Brian Chang

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #24   Mar 17, 2005 8:53 am
cleanmaxx_brian wrote:

Different topic: On my new machine (Ariens 8526le) I have started it and made sure everything was working good. I then ran the engine with the fuel cut-off turned off to use up the fuel in the line. I am putting Stabhl  (SP?) in the tank...is there anything else I need to do to store a new machine. And of course this machine takes normal unleaded gas right?

Brian,

What you should do is add your stabilized fuel additive to the tank and then run the engine until you are sure that it was running through the carburetor, maybe 15 minutes, then shut the fuel valve off and run it dry.  If your carburetor is not equipped with a fuel drain valve on the fuel bowl, there is always about a half of a shot glass worth of fuel that remains in the bowl, even if you run the engine until it dies.  Leaving that fuel in the bowl is what will cause carb issues when you go to use the machine for the next season.  Stabilized fuel should be okay to leave in the bowl.

Richie
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #25   Mar 17, 2005 10:24 am
OK Thanks Richie

Brian Chang

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #26   Mar 17, 2005 7:26 pm
the old engine was dying long before you got to use it. i have seen them run for many years after i have noted that an engine was low on oil.

most people never know what happens to there engine,it just quits.

the lead substuitute is supposed to help with valve guides ...its a questionable practice.

and your new blower ...you should put stabilizer in your fuel when you purchase it. and then when you are finished with it ,which we never know until its to late you are already done.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #27   Dec 5, 2005 9:08 am
Hi all!!! I am back!

Remember me?  Well after a year with my Bradley 32 inch mower (see my reviews) it has been great! The Craftsman Yard Vac was a life saver again! Lots of leaves!!!

So now it is SNOW season again! I have winterized all of my summer OPE and brought out the Ariens  Lets see what this puppy can do!!!

Brian Chang

Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42