Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Threw a connecting rod on my old Ariens, time to replace?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Threw a connecting rod on my old Ariens, time to replace?
Original Message   Mar 12, 2005 1:39 pm
Hi All,

First post here but before I start, I must say great board! I have read through many of the pages here and have learned a lot already!

OK, here is the story. My dad gave me his old Ariens snowblower 2 years ago. It has a 24 inch cutting path and has a 8HP techemsa engine. It has 5 or 6 speeds forward and one reverse. My best guess is it is 17 to 20 years old. On the outside, it is in pretty good shape as it was always kept in a garage. When i got the machine, it ran but not very well...it had to have the choke 1/2 way out and would pop through the exhaust. My dad would leave gas in it and he probably neve changed the oil!!! I took care of the easy stuff and changed the oil. I made it through the first winter and this past fall, I cleaned out the carb real well and got it to run MUCH better! I still could not push the choke in all the way though. Well today I started the machine up and before I could get to the fist pile of snow, I blew the connecting rod out the side of the block!

So I showed my wife who says we can't live without a snowblower (Oh do I love her!!!) so I explained we will need $1,000 for a replacement. I got the OK :)

My questions are:

1, Is this really worth fixing?

2, Is my old machine worth anything? I live in Wantagh Long Island NY If anyone is interested

3, If I replace, I am looking at Ariens 8526LE, or the 926DLE or the Simplicity 9560E or 1060DLE....are my choices good?

Thanks everyone,

Brian

http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42