Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What about riveting a plastic shield inside auger?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

What about riveting a plastic shield inside auger?
Original Message   Mar 8, 2005 4:05 pm
I was thinking today like wife said It happened to me sometimes but every year I had to repaint inside ther auger, I'm thinking in put in a plastic shield about 1/8 thick and rivet on the bottom could this be a good idea?

Walby

Replies: 12 - 21 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Re: What about riveting a plastic shield inside auger?
Reply #12   Mar 9, 2005 7:47 pm
It's a working machine, it will scratch and it will get some surface rust. As long as you don't store it wet it will be decades before it even begins to matter. Meanwhile The chances of an insert catching or breaking free are fraught with posibilities of disaster.

If it really bothers you the go the POR-15 route as mentioned.

Pete

walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #13   Mar 9, 2005 11:14 pm
I think you guys really got me on this I will spray some WD40

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #14   Mar 10, 2005 3:44 am
Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down , Huh,  well they are probably right.   When I do other peoples machines,  I like pouring motor oil, in an old can and using a paint brush on the rust.  Naturally when I fix em they don't come back  (yeah right) so occasionally I go over to their house and visit them, just to see how the rust is doin,  the oil seems to hold up over the good part of a year. The rust hardly progresses, even on the ones that are sort of pot metal cheap.  Nothing against WD40, but I think it dissappears off the metal over time faster than straight oil. 

Ben07

This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Garandman

Reply #15   Mar 10, 2005 10:06 am
I just rub candle wax on it. I used to have some ski wax but I lost it.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #16   Mar 10, 2005 10:28 am
Ben07 wrote:
Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down ,

Beat down?  That was the farthest from my intention and others can chime in if it was theirs but if that was the case it was not evident in their posts.  Maybe it would work if it was done right and pending how he uses his machine?  What I do know is what mine and my father's machines go through when we use them and I don't care how well the darn thing has been riveted in place and or glued down and sealed it ain't staying there for the long haul and when it comes loose I can see it just tearing the machine up.  My Honda has both auger and impellor shear bolts, so that may save me but I wouldn't put money on where that plastic could get into and jam up and damage before the pins went.  I have had dog toys that were like big frozen stuffed animals that my dogs stole from the neighbors dog actually get into my impellor and stall the machine cold once and a plactic toy they stole stall it again, the impellor bolt did not break so it is one tough cookie.  The potential damage the plastic could do to my impellor etc. before the bolt breaks is scarey to even think about because it might not.  This is going through my mind and his reason for doing this is cosmetic?  There are many great ideas posted here that folks do to their equipment and I envy them their time and skills and ingenuity and success, I don't see this as one of them and I for one was trying to prevent him from a potential disaster.  Also not a single post was in any way insulting or derogatory much less a put down that I could tell.  I thought we were all pretty nice about giving him all of the reasons why he should not even try it.

C

This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Ben07

Reply #17   Mar 10, 2005 10:37 am
ChrisS wrote:
Beat down?  That was the farthest from my intention and others can chime in if it was theirs but if that was the case it was not evident in their posts.  Maybe it would work if it was done right and pending how he uses his machine?  What I do know is what mine and my father's machines go through when we use them and I don't care how well the darn thing has been riveted in place and or glued down and sealed it ain't staying there for the long haul and when it comes loose I can see it just tearing the machine up.  My Honda has both auger and impellor shear bolts, so that may save me but I wouldn't put money on where that plastic could get into and jam up and damage before the pins went.  I have had dog toys that were like big frozen stuffed animals that my dogs stole from the neighbors dog actually get into my impellor and stall the machine cold once and a plactic toy they stole stall it again, the impellor bolt did not break so it is one tough cookie.  The potential damage the plastic could do to my impellor etc. before the bolt breaks is scarey to even think about because it might not.  This is going through my mind and his reason for doing this is cosmetic?  There are many great ideas posted here that folks do to their equipment and I envy them their time and skills and ingenuity and success, I don't see this as one of them and I for one was trying to prevent him from a potential disaster.  Also not a single post was in any way insulting or derogatory much less a put down that I could tell.  I thought we were all pretty nice about giving him all of the reasons why he should not even try it.

C

Hey Chris  why didn't you quote my whole sentance, primarily the part of me saying the suggestions are probably right on. which is in complete agreement with what you are saying.   The beat down part I think is pretty obvious a joke

In my opinion breaking that sentance in half and quoting it that way will put the statement completely out of context. 

Here was my statement word for word

Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down , Huh,  well they are probably right. 

Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #18   Mar 10, 2005 10:47 am
Ben I quoted what I took offense to,  "Beat down" and I addressed that specifically and why.

And yes, I took offense and still do.

There is no other way to take a statement like that.  If it was intended as a joke I could not tell by your post.

Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down , Huh,  well they are probably right.

?,  I don't see the humor.

Sorry, I did not read it that way.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Ben07

Reply #19   Mar 10, 2005 11:00 am
Chris  I do thank you for now quoting the whole sentance in your reply.

Ben07

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #20   Mar 10, 2005 11:04 am
Glad it didn't say up or off.  
Ben07

Reply #21   Mar 10, 2005 11:14 am
Marshall wrote:
Glad it didn't say up or off.  

I was wondering if  using "up" would have made a difference or not. Never thought of "off" though.  "Gotta hand it to you for that one." 

By the way. that is just a joke. naturally I only mean using the word up instead of down (context is everything) Just taking a suggestion as to being clear.

Ben07 

Replies: 12 - 21 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42