Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What about riveting a plastic shield inside auger?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

What about riveting a plastic shield inside auger?
Original Message   Mar 8, 2005 4:05 pm
I was thinking today like wife said It happened to me sometimes but every year I had to repaint inside ther auger, I'm thinking in put in a plastic shield about 1/8 thick and rivet on the bottom could this be a good idea?

Walby

Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Outline
robmints

Re: What about riveting a plastic shield inside auger?
Reply #1   Mar 8, 2005 7:22 pm
Walby,
My thought would be that drilling the auger would cause more chance of difficult to repair rust than the wear of the snow and salt with sand.

If you drill and rivet it, I would have several concerns. One would be that you would need to glue or in some way adhere the plastic to the steel. Because in use, without being hald fast to the surface, it will abrade and wear the paint off the housing, and it will be necessary to take the liner off and paint every year anyway. The rivets would need to be stainless and they can do the same as the plastic. Which is to move a tiny bit with use and abrade the paint off.

I think I would paint or hose it down with WD.

Or do like I do and let it rust.
 I mean to do maintenance, I really do,
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #2   Mar 8, 2005 9:30 pm
Well Rob I think I will try glue like contact cement by lepage if the plastic doesnt hold well it will go away

bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #3   Mar 8, 2005 9:41 pm
I would not do it...just wipe down the blower and inside of the chute with a motor oil (clean oil) rag at the end of the season and it will look like new for a really long time.  I would think that the moisture that would get behind the plastic would be more of a problem than leaving it stock.

bbwb

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #4   Mar 9, 2005 12:21 am
It sounds worth a try to me.  Ifyou want to worry about rust underneath, then make it so you can squirt oil along the top edge in the back and flood it at the end of the season, or periodically during the season.  sure it will drip for a little while,  buy that is what those old throw rugs are for that the wife tries to throw away.  (there's always the kerosene mix with water wash down that gets the kero (which is #2 oil) down in behind there and the film stays after the water evaporates) try it for a year then drill out the rivets and check. 

not to mention you may increase your throwing distance by taking up the air gap.

Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #5   Mar 9, 2005 12:44 am
I found a plastic shield it's cal;l Crazy carpet that kids used to slide doen snow hill I,ll glues this thing and see nothing to lose and why not? I f I don't try it I'll never see It

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #6   Mar 9, 2005 1:49 am
I am not really sure what you are trying to do but IF I understand it properly nothing plastic is going to withstand the punishment of what is going to go into that housing for long and if it becomes dislodged it can damage the augers not to mention the impellor. 

If you must paint the inside of the auger housing that is cool.  I personally could care less what mine looks like, I rinse it out at the end of the season let it dry and spray it down with WD-40 or Silicone spray, or whatever I have laying around.  Thats me.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #7   Mar 9, 2005 11:02 am
I second the thoughts that rivet holes would just promote rust (don't use aluminum rivets, you would have to paint plain steel rivets), plastic could also trap moisture between it and housing. 

I don't know what the condition your paint is in, but the previous owner of my 1974 Ariens 824 just sprayed the machine with WD40 at the end of each season.  I don't know if he did it for each of the 26 or so years he owned it, but I have continued the tradition for last few years (although I use LPS3 instead).  The inside of the auger and impeller housings, impeller, and augers all still look pretty good to me- a little rust, but mostly paint.  Looks a lot better than my 1988 ST824, but that was when the paint just didn't adhere well and peeled off in sheets. 

I would just spray it with some type of protectant (your choice) at the end of each season. 

Ralph

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #8   Mar 9, 2005 11:25 am
I shudder to think what would happen when that piece of plastic decide to get loose and is hit by the spinning auger. It will shred up, probably jamming the machine and if you are lucky, break a shear pin instead of damaging the motor. I'd continue with painting the surfaces, but building up a decent thickness with several medium coats of paint, sanding lightly with extremely fine sandpaper (400-600 grit) betreen coats.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
spottedpony

Reply #9   Mar 9, 2005 1:53 pm
am i right in presuming your just trying to prevent excessive paint wear in the chute? if so another possibility worth trying is pull the chute off if possible and take it to the local body/paint shop (or if one is set up with a good ventilation system, respirator & protective clothing, it can be done at home)  and have the inside painted with Emron. we've used it for years in high wear areas with exellant results. painting with it at home requires protective clothing though, its more toxic than enamel or laquer.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #10   Mar 9, 2005 2:32 pm
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Reply #11   Mar 9, 2005 2:42 pm
I agree on the painting with a hard durable paint. another to consider is 'POR-15'. quite pricy..but unbeatable in toughness. I have used it several times. but if used..to keep a gloss look needs to be top coated with a 'finish' coat. recomend their own POR-15 final coat. I have no ties to them, Just very satisfied with their results. POR-15 gets 'stronger' with moisture! unlike other paints. but do follow insructions as far as 'not' putting on a sanded surface..put right on rust. leaves a smooth finish anyway.   Some of the snow in auger area may get behind plasic when it melts in shop/garage and some of that snow still might have road salt in it to a point...not good Idea.      just my 2 cents- Good Luck        Geno
Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Reply #12   Mar 9, 2005 7:47 pm
It's a working machine, it will scratch and it will get some surface rust. As long as you don't store it wet it will be decades before it even begins to matter. Meanwhile The chances of an insert catching or breaking free are fraught with posibilities of disaster.

If it really bothers you the go the POR-15 route as mentioned.

Pete

walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #13   Mar 9, 2005 11:14 pm
I think you guys really got me on this I will spray some WD40

Ben07

Reply #14   Mar 10, 2005 3:44 am
Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down , Huh,  well they are probably right.   When I do other peoples machines,  I like pouring motor oil, in an old can and using a paint brush on the rust.  Naturally when I fix em they don't come back  (yeah right) so occasionally I go over to their house and visit them, just to see how the rust is doin,  the oil seems to hold up over the good part of a year. The rust hardly progresses, even on the ones that are sort of pot metal cheap.  Nothing against WD40, but I think it dissappears off the metal over time faster than straight oil. 

Ben07

This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Garandman

Reply #15   Mar 10, 2005 10:06 am
I just rub candle wax on it. I used to have some ski wax but I lost it.
ChrisS

Reply #16   Mar 10, 2005 10:28 am
Ben07 wrote:
Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down ,

Beat down?  That was the farthest from my intention and others can chime in if it was theirs but if that was the case it was not evident in their posts.  Maybe it would work if it was done right and pending how he uses his machine?  What I do know is what mine and my father's machines go through when we use them and I don't care how well the darn thing has been riveted in place and or glued down and sealed it ain't staying there for the long haul and when it comes loose I can see it just tearing the machine up.  My Honda has both auger and impellor shear bolts, so that may save me but I wouldn't put money on where that plastic could get into and jam up and damage before the pins went.  I have had dog toys that were like big frozen stuffed animals that my dogs stole from the neighbors dog actually get into my impellor and stall the machine cold once and a plactic toy they stole stall it again, the impellor bolt did not break so it is one tough cookie.  The potential damage the plastic could do to my impellor etc. before the bolt breaks is scarey to even think about because it might not.  This is going through my mind and his reason for doing this is cosmetic?  There are many great ideas posted here that folks do to their equipment and I envy them their time and skills and ingenuity and success, I don't see this as one of them and I for one was trying to prevent him from a potential disaster.  Also not a single post was in any way insulting or derogatory much less a put down that I could tell.  I thought we were all pretty nice about giving him all of the reasons why he should not even try it.

C

This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Ben07

Reply #17   Mar 10, 2005 10:37 am
ChrisS wrote:
Beat down?  That was the farthest from my intention and others can chime in if it was theirs but if that was the case it was not evident in their posts.  Maybe it would work if it was done right and pending how he uses his machine?  What I do know is what mine and my father's machines go through when we use them and I don't care how well the darn thing has been riveted in place and or glued down and sealed it ain't staying there for the long haul and when it comes loose I can see it just tearing the machine up.  My Honda has both auger and impellor shear bolts, so that may save me but I wouldn't put money on where that plastic could get into and jam up and damage before the pins went.  I have had dog toys that were like big frozen stuffed animals that my dogs stole from the neighbors dog actually get into my impellor and stall the machine cold once and a plactic toy they stole stall it again, the impellor bolt did not break so it is one tough cookie.  The potential damage the plastic could do to my impellor etc. before the bolt breaks is scarey to even think about because it might not.  This is going through my mind and his reason for doing this is cosmetic?  There are many great ideas posted here that folks do to their equipment and I envy them their time and skills and ingenuity and success, I don't see this as one of them and I for one was trying to prevent him from a potential disaster.  Also not a single post was in any way insulting or derogatory much less a put down that I could tell.  I thought we were all pretty nice about giving him all of the reasons why he should not even try it.

C

Hey Chris  why didn't you quote my whole sentance, primarily the part of me saying the suggestions are probably right on. which is in complete agreement with what you are saying.   The beat down part I think is pretty obvious a joke

In my opinion breaking that sentance in half and quoting it that way will put the statement completely out of context. 

Here was my statement word for word

Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down , Huh,  well they are probably right. 

Ben07

ChrisS

Reply #18   Mar 10, 2005 10:47 am
Ben I quoted what I took offense to,  "Beat down" and I addressed that specifically and why.

And yes, I took offense and still do.

There is no other way to take a statement like that.  If it was intended as a joke I could not tell by your post.

Hey Walby,  Did they beat you down , Huh,  well they are probably right.

?,  I don't see the humor.

Sorry, I did not read it that way.

C

Ben07

Reply #19   Mar 10, 2005 11:00 am
Chris  I do thank you for now quoting the whole sentance in your reply.

Ben07

Marshall

Reply #20   Mar 10, 2005 11:04 am
Glad it didn't say up or off.  
Ben07

Reply #21   Mar 10, 2005 11:14 am
Marshall wrote:

I was wondering if  using "up" would have made a difference or not. Never thought of "off" though.  "Gotta hand it to you for that one." 

By the way. that is just a joke. naturally I only mean using the word up instead of down (context is everything) Just taking a suggestion as to being clear.

Ben07 

ChrisS

Reply #22   Mar 10, 2005 11:51 am
Marshall wrote:

Now if I read "off" then I would have LMAO....   

When 90% (and IMHO more actually) of communicication is done by body language so much is lost in the translation when we try to communicate like this.

I just don't want Walby to think that I (or anyone else from what I could take from the posts) were putting him down for his idea. 

C

Marshall

Reply #23   Mar 10, 2005 11:59 am
 LOL
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #24   Mar 10, 2005 12:01 pm
Hum you guys, I never thought this topic would do this kind of talking but in my case I said I will use WD40 or oil, but if I intend to put that plastic shield in my auger no one here will ever know ...

Walby

Ben07

Reply #25   Mar 10, 2005 12:09 pm
walbroman wrote:
, but if I intend to put that plastic shield in my auger no one here will ever know ...

Walby

Walby you are the man.. I don't want to belabor the point,  and context again, as  the following is a compliment..

" I very rarely bust out loud laughing to myself.  But I sure did this time" "keeps happening and my eyes won't quit watering,, wew"

It's my vote for joke of the day,  (it beat mine for sure)   Problem people will have to read most of the thread to get the full effect.

LOL   thanks

Ben07

p.s. pm me if you do it,  promis not to tell a soul..  LOL

jubol

Reply #26   Mar 10, 2005 12:29 pm
 Walby,

You might think about using a marine grade, 2 part epoxy paint.

It should stand up well and meet your requirements.

Fred          

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
SnowPro

Reply #27   Mar 10, 2005 1:55 pm
Personally, I would NOT put a crazy carpet in the auger area.  It will not last.  Yes, it is quite slippery, but also thin.  It is a good idea, but rocks WILL tear it up. 

I saw a machine in my dad's shop, a few years ago, where some guy had the same idea.  I guess at first it was alright, but he got some rocks into it, and there were several thin spots, and, you guessed it, it shredded like crazy   It jambed up the impeller so bad he had to take it in to be removed.  The guys theory, IIRC was that he didn't like seeing the scrapes in the paint around the auger.  This would cover it up, protect it and maybe improve performance.  I remember he paid a pretty good price for his "performance enhancement".  Hopefully he took my father's advice and gave it a paint job each year, after that.  I know that is what I do.   By spring, they get rather scratched up.  Gives me some "tinker time" when I am inbetween seasons.  Of course that is when the "honey-do" list seems to appear too!!!!!

Ken

This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by SnowPro
Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42