Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > can't pull rope

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mtbmike

can't pull rope
Original Message   Feb 8, 2014 4:27 pm
my simplicity pro was running great last week, and now won't start. i cannot pull the starter rope unless i remove the spark plug. i took apart the carb bowl, removed the float and needle and sprayed with carb cleaner, re-assembled, no better. i squirted some gas in the cylinder, replaced the plug, no difference. it has electric start, i have popped the GFCI several times at the outlet. not sure what to do next!
This message was modified Feb 17, 2014 by a moderator
Replies: 3 - 12 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mtbmike

Re: can't pull rope
Reply #3   Feb 8, 2014 5:25 pm
briggs and stratton snow king , with a nikki carb
niper99

Reply #4   Feb 8, 2014 8:16 pm
<BR><SPAN CLASS="quotedmessageheader">mtbmike wrote:</SPAN><BR><DIV CLASS="quotedmessage">briggs and stratton snow king , with a nikki carb<BR>[/qu<BR><BR>

is engine OHV?
This message was modified Feb 8, 2014 by niper99
Shryp

Reply #5   Feb 8, 2014 8:19 pm
I would stop trying to use the electric start until after you find out what is locking the engine. All that will do is break something. My guess is oil or gas in the cylinder causing a hydro lock? Could be the valves need adjusting and the compression release isn't working as well. I have heard of flywheel magnets coming loose and wedging, but that doesn't explain pulls fine with no plug. Also, someone suggested checking the oil level on another forum. Apparently if the oil gets too full it will hydro lock the piston on the down stroke.
RedOctobyr

Re: can't pull rope (TOP TOPIC)
Reply #6   Feb 9, 2014 11:15 am
Shryp, if it were oil causing an issue on the downstroke, I'd expect the oil might try to blow out of the crankcase breather as the piston went down and you pressurized the crankcase? Just wondering.

But I would, for instance, sniff the dipstick and/or the oil fill tube, to see if you smell gas. It's possible that gas is leaking into the crankcase (from something like a stuck float/needle valve in the carb), filling the crankcase. Is the oil level correct? If it has more "oil" (possibly also gas) than it did last time, you likely had gas leaking into the crankcase.

If you remove the plug, and pull the cord fast a few times, does anything spray out of the sparkplug hole? Like Shryp said, if you have a cylinder filled with gas/oil, you would be unable to pull the cord with the plug installed. But you might see some come out if you spin the engine over quickly with the plug out.
mtbmike

Reply #7   Feb 9, 2014 1:04 pm
argh... i took the valve cover off and there was a piece of rod about 6 inches long hanging out of one of the holes. i pulled it out, it wasn't connected to anything. what the heck is it and what's next, take the head off? thanks for the help so far!
RedOctobyr

Reply #8   Feb 9, 2014 2:28 pm
If you're under the valve cover, and there's a long straight rod, that sounds like it could be a pushrod.

I haven't worked on a Briggs OHV snowblower engine, just a Briggs OHV tractor engine. But on that, and my Tecumseh OHV snowblower engine, the pushrods were trapped under the rocker arms, and shouldn't just be moving around freely.

I'm trying to think of a reason why it wouldn't turn over without the plug removed, but also had a pushrod loose. Is the rod straight and undamaged?

If the pushrod in question is the one for the valve that provides the compression release (maybe exhaust?), I guess that could make sense. You'd have no compression release at all, so you'd be trying to push the piston up into a fully-sealed chamber, which would be much harder. I don't know *how* hard, though, whether it would be so bad that you couldn't turn it over with the pull-starter.

Do the rocker arms (the pivots between the pushrods and the valves) look OK?

Sounds like pictures might help.
mtbmike

Reply #9   Feb 9, 2014 6:04 pm
please note that i COULD pull it over with the plug out. it's back together now but here's a couple pics i took today

mtbmike

Reply #10   Feb 9, 2014 6:13 pm
sorry the pics are so huge
Shryp

Reply #11   Feb 9, 2014 6:37 pm
Yea, that is a pushrod. It is suppose to be straight. You will probably need a new one and make sure the rockers didn't get damaged as well. Sound like maybe you were over due for a valve adjustment and it got loose enough for the push rod to come out from under the valve. The other thing could have been the valve was hanging up some how and you forced the engine to turn over and that bent it.
mtbmike

Reply #12   Feb 9, 2014 6:55 pm
should i attempt to repair? i read online that in most cases like this the cylinder wall will be scored and ruined as well. i can buy a replacement engine for around 450, but not sure i want another briggs like this. this is 3 years old; first time i've ever had a problem with any small motor. I have to say, this simplicity pro has been nothing but trouble since day one.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42