Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > can't pull rope

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mtbmike

can't pull rope
Original Message   Feb 8, 2014 4:27 pm
my simplicity pro was running great last week, and now won't start. i cannot pull the starter rope unless i remove the spark plug. i took apart the carb bowl, removed the float and needle and sprayed with carb cleaner, re-assembled, no better. i squirted some gas in the cylinder, replaced the plug, no difference. it has electric start, i have popped the GFCI several times at the outlet. not sure what to do next!
This message was modified Feb 17, 2014 by a moderator
Replies: 13 - 22 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
RedOctobyr

Re: can't pull rope (TOP TOPIC)
Reply #13   Feb 9, 2014 7:25 pm
Did the things you read say why the cylinder would be scored? If you "just" had a pushrod come loose for some reason (say the rocker arm locknut came loose), I wouldn't have expected that to score the cylinder. But maybe there is some root cause that would explain cylinder damage.

But I'm no expert. I'm honestly just asking.
Shryp

Reply #14   Feb 9, 2014 9:13 pm
Maybe straighten the rod and put it back together. See if it will run. If all seems good get a new rod and put it back together. What size engine is it? You can get a 7HP replacement at Harbor Freight for under $100.
niper99

Reply #15   Feb 9, 2014 11:36 pm
mtbmike wrote:
should i attempt to repair? i read online that in most cases like this the cylinder wall will be scored and ruined as well. i can buy a replacement engine for around 450, but not sure i want another briggs like this. this is 3 years old; first time i've ever had a problem with any small motor. I have to say, this simplicity pro has been nothing but trouble since day one.

Well ur making progress :)... Its VERY unlikely that there's any cylinder damage... if it was me I would order a new push rod and install it 90% chance that will fix it.. u need to know how to adjust valves correctly or u will have future issues.. most likely reason why the push rod got bent was it became to loose while running.. there alot of u tube videos on how to adjust valves if ur not sure..
niper99

Reply #16   Feb 10, 2014 3:05 am
just wanted to add my thoughts on these briggs motors as u mentioned having issue from day 1... I work on these motors alot and will say there are a very reliable motor as long as there maintained... for example if u never had this engine tuned up or the valve clearances checked within the 3 years you've owned it then that's an a problem.. most consumers buy snowblower or lawnmower and don't realize they need yearly mainetance... I would NOT give up on this motor especially for a bent push rod its a simple low cost fix...
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #17   Feb 10, 2014 3:19 am
From the picture I can see that rod is bent, period. So now I will assume the valve was tight and that's why it bent over time. Lastly, it is so bent that the valve stayed closed causing so much pressure in the cylinder that the motor couldn't turn over and that is why the GFCI circuit tripped as the starter amperage increased trying to overcome the piston pressure.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2014 by hirschallan

mtbmike

Reply #18   Feb 10, 2014 8:12 am
thanks a ton, guys. the simp came misadjusted, wouldn't throw snow. i know i should have just fixed it myself but after years of fixing my broken stuff and just paying 1800, i told the dealer to come take it back. 4 weeks later after numerous calls i finally had it back, unrepaired. several other issues, none engine related, soured me on this bad boy. the engine has run fine since day one before this. i believe this happened because i put it away wet in 10 degree temps and it froze up, and then i tried to start it while frozen. maybe it was stuck in gear or somehow engaged, i'm just guessing here. i'll try to find a rod local today after work, otherwise i'll straigten and see if i can get it together.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #19   Feb 10, 2014 10:05 am
Mike, don't go that direction. If it's bent it is DONE. Don't try to straighten that as it's not possible to get it perfect again. If you went that route you will be back and do greater damage second time around. Look up the part # and get new. On the Internet they are available from many places as this is a common part.

mtbmike

Reply #20   Feb 10, 2014 12:27 pm
got ya. i have already called the local shop, they need my exact model number, so after work i will get home and call them. i am planning to just use new. $5 list! hahaha. it this works i will have saved $$ edit: wow i re-read this and i sure sound like a greedy little miser! maybe the wife is right.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2014 by mtbmike
mtbmike

Reply #21   Feb 10, 2014 8:04 pm
i can't figure out where the new push rod seats in the head. i could see a little hole or socket in there, but when i put push rod in there it didn't move.
it seems if i just leave it laying loose it works the valve, but that doesn't seem right at all. the other push rod seems nice and snug. Also, the pushrod came with a tappet - no idea where that goes! 

This message was modified Feb 11, 2014 by a moderator
mtbmike

Reply #22   Feb 10, 2014 9:50 pm
so that last pic is kinda misleading.. it's the other end i can't figure out. can barely see in there with a flashlight, and there is a puddle of oil on the bottom, approx where the intake pushrod is sitting on the other side.
Replies: 13 - 22 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42