Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Farmers Almanac predictions - how is everyone doing?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Farmers Almanac predictions - how is everyone doing?
Original Message   Jan 6, 2014 6:20 pm
How is everyone doing snow wise this winter? Seems to be pretty quiet in the group so I assume you are all dealing with a lot of snow and cold. Seems like all the storms have slid below most of eastern Canada & hit the midwest & northeast pretty heavily. We got lots of snow in Nov. & Dec. but only bitter cold since before xmas. Temp actually went above freezing today & we had a lot of rain. Had to go out & make sure everything necessary was shoveled out before it turns to concrete when it freezes up again tonite!

Cheers & keep warm
This message was modified Jan 20, 2014 by a moderator

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
aa335

Re: Farmers Almanac predictions - how is everyone doing?
Reply #1   Jan 6, 2014 8:31 pm
Two snow storms Hercules and Ion have gone by since New Years Day.  Got a total of about 13 inches of snow.  Now we're in a really bitter cold weather, -40F / -40C with wind chill.  There was more excitement in the last 7 days in January 2014 than the entire month of December 2013.
This message was modified Jan 6, 2014 by aa335
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #2   Jan 6, 2014 11:17 pm
Been pretty durn cold here in Saskatchewan, but not too much snows - yet.

borat

Reply #3   Jan 7, 2014 10:53 am
Been dangerously cold here with temperatures ranging from -25C to -38.8C consistently for probably five weeks now.  With wind chill, we've been averaging around -35C to -53C for the last three weeks or longer.  You can hear  the trees are cracking from the cold if you're brave enough to go out.  G

Got about 30" of snow since the end of November.  Two big dumps and several minor deposits.  Lots of issues with vehicles not starting, serious 12V automotive battery shortage, 72 hour CAA waits for battery boost assistance, water mains breaking, water pipes in people's homes freezing, airplane delays due to the cold.  One of the most prolonged period of extreme cold and wind that I've ever experienced.  Other than that, it's alright.
aa335

Reply #4   Jan 11, 2014 11:46 pm
It has been warm the last two days, temperatures in the mid 30's.  Big contrast to last week temperatures of -15 with windchill.  I'm not complaining, gives the snow a chance to melt as it's piling up a bit here.
jrtrebor

Reply #5   Jan 12, 2014 9:04 am
I live in Grand Haven Mi. it's about 2 1/2 hours north of Chicago.
It sits right on the Lake.
We've had about around 67" of snow so far.
Our first snow was on 11/28 about 6"
Last week we had wind chill temps. as low as -38
Wind blew at 30mph for days.
We're getting a little warm up now.
Had a 1/2" of rain Friday.
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

Reply #6   Jan 20, 2014 12:09 pm
Up in Northern Michigan, 50 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge. Around 40" on the ground today, most of it coming steady since mid-Dec.. No thaws to speak of, the sun hasn't put a dent in my ice dams or driveway ice. Worst I've seen in 10 years. And it ain't letting up.

No big storms so far - a couple of 10" dumps, but mostly 1-2 inches a day - EVERY day. Pretty typical for these parts. The big story is the bone-chilling cold. Temp bottomed out below -20F several times so far, with unbelievable wind chills. What falls to the ground stays on the ground. Generator and snowblower have been getting a workout, and the cost for gasoline is ridiculous. Batteries on two vehicles bit the dust, one comepletly froze and cracked the case. Temp climbed to +22F a couple days back, seemed like Miami beach.

Gonna be a long one...
jrom

Reply #7   Jan 31, 2014 9:22 am
3rd Michigander here, next to Sleeping Bear Dunes. As of Jan 30th, we hit 190"...still more to come. Yesterday, before I got done with my driveway, there was another 4" back at the garage.
GtWtNorth

Reply #8   Jan 31, 2014 2:38 pm
Wow, 109 inches, you guys must be driving thru canyons of snow where it drifts! I guess Michigan gets a lot of lake effect snow like Buffalo. In the Montreal area we had 1/3 of the average snow for the month and the average has been dropping for years. But, at least the cold has moderated, we should be in the mid 20's for a few days. Should be interesting to see how the Superbowl plays out in the cold in N.J. this year. GO BRONCOS!

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42