Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Can I use my gas/oil mix from last year this year.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Becky

Can I use my gas/oil mix from last year this year.
Original Message   Dec 9, 2013 9:45 am
My gas oil mix from last year is still in the can. Can I use the same mix this year? If not how do I dispose of it? Thank you.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: Can I use my gas/oil mix from last year this year.
Reply #1   Dec 9, 2013 10:14 am
I would not as 2 cycle motors are just trouble with bad gas as all small ope. I would either pour it off into another container and use it slowly mixing it into the family vehicle and making a new mix now. Maybe someone here has better use for the old stuff.

sscotsman

Reply #2   Dec 9, 2013 11:42 am
Can you use it? technically yes.
Should you use it? absolutely not! ;)

Its not worth the risk..it will probably gum-up the carb.
like most things, the quality of gas isnt what it used to be..I wouldnt use gas that is more than 6 months old..
some say dont even use it if its a month old!
but a year is definately too long..

Check with your town or county for disposal..my county (Monroe county NY) will accept "expired" gas, and gas-oil mix,
at their recycling center.

Scot
Becky

Reply #3   Dec 9, 2013 12:55 pm
Hi Guys, Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your help. I will not use it and will find a place to recycle it. Thanks again. Happy Holidays. Becky
Shryp

Reply #4   Dec 9, 2013 1:02 pm
I have used gas over a year old with no problems. If it were mine I would just use it.
aa335

Reply #5   Dec 9, 2013 1:45 pm
Becky wrote:
Hi Guys, Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your help. I will not use it and will find a place to recycle it. Thanks again. Happy Holidays. Becky

You should do what makes you feel comfortable.  It is your equipment.

However, I have used gasoline that are over a year old with snowblowers, lawnmower, handheld leaf blowers, string trimmers.  Some use oil mixed gasoline, some use just straight gas.  Both my 2 cycle and 4 cycle equipment have been fine.  I keep my gas in a cool area in full containers, tightly capped so there's no additional moisture are absorbed.

One thing is not to leave any gas in your equipment if you don't plan to use it regularly within 3 weeks.  Run the equipment to clear our your float bowl for long term storage.  I used to treat my gas with fuel stablizer out of paranoia and confusion.  No more.   I haven't used any stabilizers in the last 4 years.
niper99

Reply #6   Dec 9, 2013 4:23 pm
I highly recommend u do NOT re use last year mix....
longboat

Reply #7   Dec 10, 2013 8:31 am
I use year-old mixed gas all the time, but I say this with two caveats: 1) I never use ethanol gas, and 2) I treat the gas with Sta-Bil as soon as I get it home from the gas station.  Chainsaw and trimmer are still running great after seven seasons. 
borat

Reply #8   Dec 17, 2013 5:19 pm
Gas that has begun to go bad has a distinctive smell. If it doesn't smell like dead gas, I'd add fresh premix to it and go to work.   

Back in November, I pulled out my old Jonsereds 670 chainsaw that I hadn't used since 2007.   It had been left with half a tank of fuel in it since then and it did have a bit of bad gas smell to it.  Nonetheless,  I  wanted to get to work right away and added fresh fuel to top it off. The saw fired up and ran/cut fine.   Sometimes you just get luck.  However, I wouldn't leave fuel in a carb with a float bowl.  That's asking for trouble. 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42