Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS621 restoration

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Honda HS621 restoration
Original Message   Oct 27, 2013 8:57 pm
Well here is my most recent find.  Actually I bought it at an auction back in August.
But didn't get around to restoring it until earlier this month.
It was pretty rough but started on the second pull. So figured it
was worth the 40.00 I paid for it.

The upper handle was pretty messed up.  So I replaced it with one that I kept around from and old Toro CCR2000.
It bolted right up and was also a little longer than the stock Honda handle.  Which is nice.

Stripped and repainted the muffler cover.  As well as the lower handles.

The blower housing sides needed quite a bit of straighting.  Also welded on a small piece of steel onto the bottom of the left  side
where it had been worn off.  Not adding the piece would have allowed snow and water to get inside what is the belt and pulley
compartment.  That would not be good.  Installed a new set of paddles and a new scraper that I bought on ebay for $53.00

Cleaned up everything inside.  Have to say that these blower are really well built.  The steel used for the bucket and the
undercarriage is heavy gauge.  Actually the undercarriage is plate steel.  The bracket between the engine and the bucket
is like something you would find in a automobile.

Sandblasted the bucket and sealed some of the joints with auto Spot putty.  Gave it two coats of Rustoleum Red oxide primer.
Then two top coats of Krylon Tough Rust semi gloss.  I did end up giving the center interior section of the housing another
coat of black Rustoleum Hammer finish.  That gave it a smoother, slicker finish and that paint if extremely durable.
That is also what I painted the auger with.

Didn't do much else other than check the carb bowl for dirt or signs of water. 
Replaced the plug, oil was good and clean.  Belt was good.  So it's ready to go.

In case some of you noticed there is a modification that I made.  I designed a chute rotator system for it.
Which I will show in another thread.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 10 of 78NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Honda HS621 restoration
Reply #1   Oct 28, 2013 12:51 am
You got quite a sleeper deal on that HS621.  Some people would pay more than $40 for that GX160 engine alone.  You did a really nice job cleaning it up to show room condition.  I like the electric rotation you put on it.  Looking forward to the details.  I always enjoy seeing the extra things you put into your machines.

As you may remember, I went through the same process of restoring my 10 year old HS621 about 3 years ago.  It was stripped down to bare metal and repainted.  I didn't have a sand blaster so it was slow and tedious with a angle grinder and a wire wheel.  It was well worth it and it is still a great snowblower to work on. Just taking it apart I had an appreciation on how well made this machine was.  I had an itch to modify to increase its power.  I had thought about putting a larger GX200 engine, which has the same engine block, mounting dimensions, but with larger displacement with longer piston stroke, just to get more power out of it.  I also thought about putting in some kind of remote chute rotation.  I decided to keep it all stock.  It's such a great machine that I thought to leave it alone and just bring it back to the condition when I bought it.  It was good enough for me.

Every once in a while, I have an urge to look through craigslist to find another HS621 to buy and restore.  I really enjoy working on it but I don't have the place to store it.  And even after I restore it, I just don't have the heart to sell it.  I'm in the process of organizing my garage and I am avoiding creating any more clutter or junk. 

Did you repaint the plastic cowl and the belt cover?  Or just buff out the small scratches?  They look really shiny.   My plastic cowls and belt cover were scratched up so I used Krylon Fusion paint.  The color was a little off and more muted, not as bright and shiny as yours.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #2   Oct 28, 2013 9:44 am
jrtrebor, very nice find! especially at that price. How do you do it? Are you known as the snow blower guy in your area so everyone tells you about the deals. I'm jealous.
A great refurb also. I have the same questions as aa335 about how you treated the plastic cowl and added the rotator.

aa335 - how is the plastic paint holding up on your machine after 3 years? I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Cheers
Paul

https://t.me/pump_upp
aa335

Reply #3   Oct 28, 2013 12:27 pm
The Krylon Fusion has been holding up fine. It is made to remain flexible with plastic. My HS621 is now a garage queen so it doesn't see as much usage as the other two workhorse Democrats. The HS621 is now the Republican baby boomer enjoying retirement.  At this pace, it's going to be at least 20 years before I have to do any restoration on it.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by aa335
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Oct 28, 2013 6:25 pm
aa335 wrote:
You got quite a sleeper deal on that HS621.  Some people would pay more than $40 for that GX160 engine alone.  You did a really nice job cleaning it up to show room condition.  I like the electric rotation you put on it.  Looking forward to the details.  I always enjoy seeing the extra things you put into your machines.

As you may remember, I went through the same process of restoring my 10 year old HS621 about 3 years ago.  It was stripped down to bare metal and repainted.  I didn't have a sand blaster so it was slow and tedious with a angle grinder and a wire wheel.  It was well worth it and it is still a great snowblower to work on. Just taking it apart I had an appreciation on how well made this machine was.  I had an itch to modify to increase its power.  I had thought about putting a larger GX200 engine, which has the same engine block, mounting dimensions, but with larger displacement with longer piston stroke, just to get more power out of it.  I also thought about putting in some kind of remote chute rotation.  I decided to keep it all stock.  It's such a great machine that I thought to leave it alone and just bring it back to the condition when I bought it.  It was good enough for me.

Every once in a while, I have an urge to look through craigslist to find another HS621 to buy and restore.  I really enjoy working on it but I don't have the place to store it.  And even after I restore it, I just don't have the heart to sell it.  I'm in the process of organizing my garage and I am avoiding creating any more clutter or junk. 

Did you repaint the plastic cowl and the belt cover?  Or just buff out the small scratches?  They look really shiny.   My plastic cowls and belt cover were scratched up so I used Krylon Fusion paint.  The color was a little off and more muted, not as bright and shiny as yours.

Thanks aa335 your right the engine alone was worth the $40.  I do remember you talking about your blower and how pleased you
were with it.  I was hoping to run across a GX200 to put on it, but no luck there.  These blowers are a joy to work on.
Simple straight forward, quality parts and fasteners.  I think you can break the whole thing down in about 20 minutes.
I did work on the plastic covers.  I've tried so many different things on those type of covers mainly Toros.
This time I took all the deep scratches out with a Red Scothbrite pad on a die grinder.  Then wet sanded the cover
using a variable speed dual orbiting sander.  I think I used 1500 and then 3000 grit paper.
Then waxed it.   That plastic or vinyl is strange stuff to work with.  I'd really like to know what type of material it is.

jrtrebor

Reply #5   Oct 28, 2013 6:41 pm
GtWtNorth wrote:
jrtrebor, very nice find! especially at that price. How do you do it? Are you known as the snow blower guy in your area so everyone tells you about the deals. I'm jealous.
A great refurb also. I have the same questions as aa335 about how you treated the plastic cowl and added the rotator.

Thanks very much.
I watch a lot of online auctions the the area.  Every once in a while I get lucky.
Seems that people sometimes tend to shy away from blowers that look really beat.
I think in this case the price of Honda parts may have also played an part.
But as aa335 said, the engine alone was worth more that what I had to pay.
So I was thrilled to win the bid.
aa335

Reply #6   Oct 28, 2013 10:53 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
That plastic or vinyl is strange stuff to work with.  I'd really like to know what type of material it is.

I would guess it's polypropylene or a variant of Delrin.  Most likely polypropylene, essentially the same material as on milk jugs.  Pretty tough material for plastic housings.
MN_Runner

Reply #7   Oct 30, 2013 8:51 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
Thanks very much.
I watch a lot of online auctions the the area.  Every once in a while I get lucky.
Seems that people sometimes tend to shy away from blowers that look really beat.
I think in this case the price of Honda parts may have also played an part.
But as aa335 said, the engine alone was worth more that what I had to pay.
So I was thrilled to win the bid.

Beautiful work and I am glad I can watch your work. I wish I had 1% of your talent!
blumonster

Reply #8   Nov 28, 2013 6:13 am
MN_Runner wrote:

Beautiful work and I am glad I can watch your work. I wish I had 1% of your talent!

I wish I had 100% of your talent.
aa335

Reply #9   Dec 6, 2013 4:56 pm
Talent is only used 1% of the time, the rest is sweat, banging, and swearing. 
This message was modified Dec 6, 2013 by aa335
niper99

Reply #10   Dec 7, 2013 9:04 pm
Nice job!!!
Replies: 1 - 10 of 78NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42